'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,728
    They can't blame Ronnie Corbett this time. (Extras reference there).
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    They can't blame Ronnie Corbett this time. (Extras reference there).

I laugh to myself pretty often remembering that scene in the toilets. Brilliant show. On par with The Office imo.

Grim news about Noel Clarke too. Just the other day I was watching his BAFTA speech and thinking it was nice to see him honoured. Guess it just goes to show how little we really know these celebrities.

BAFTA have handled this appallingly too. Imagine being one of those women and having to see him accepting that award.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I think there were allegations but the Guardian piece revealed the extent. Nevertheless you're right, you'd think they would have paused the award until next year if there were these questions hanging over his head.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It taints the BAFTA's as an organisation, as these allegations were apparently known to them, Yet they still went ahead with the award. Reminds me of how the BBC even knowing about Jimmy Saville still went ahead with a night celebration his life.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I feel a little bit of sympathy for Bafta, as it sounds like once they'd announced he would get an award they started hearing reports which were second-hand- and they had to make a decision to publicly retract the award (so effectively making a public accusation) on the basis of reports they didn't have. They probably should have investigated more fully, but maybe they're just not set up to do that as easily. I don't think they acted perfectly, but equally I think they found themselves in a pretty tough situation.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I attempted a rewatch of the McCoy era last year, but abandonned it for one reason or another. So I recently decided to try again.

Time And The Rani
    I guess, all things considered, JNT should be applauded for even being able to get this story (and series 24 on the whole), off the ground, given what had happened since series 23. While the story itself isn't a great, it does have two thigns going for it, the introduction of the new Doctor, and Kate O'Mara as the Rani. I love O'Mara in this role, and wish that she'd have appeared more. If the show had not been cancelled, it would have made for a nice bookend for her to appear in the last story of the McCoy era too.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I found that to be one of the more memorable episodes.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    What did you all think of Paradise Towers? That was one of the last episodes I watched before having a break from Who. It was a surreal episode - very 80s in look and musically. Some naff acting here and there, but I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the 'cleaners', and their theme song whenever they appeared; the general story, setting, and the mysterious Kroagnon. The two old ladies were amusing. Annabel Yuresha has an interesting face. Another memorable episode.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven’t rewatched Paradise Towers yet, but I find it plagued by the same troubles that plague the other 3 stories of series 24. The show was in a weird place in 1987. Like a car pulling away, only for the engine to cut out.
    Richard Briers in a Hitler moustache? What? Though it isn’t without its moments, the Doctor doffing his hat to the vending machine, and hen he greets one of the Kangs, he does that thing where he rolls his hat down his arm catches it in his hand, and flips it back up onto his head.
    Paradise Towers
    An improvement of TATR, but there is still some sillyness, especially when th eChief Caretaker is taken over by Kroagnon. McCoy gets a few nice little moments such as doffing his hat to inanimate objects, and using the Caretakers rulebook against them.

1. Paradise Towers
    2. Time And The Rani
    Delta And The Bannerman
    Though there is still a ways to go with the writing, I think of this as a likeable breezy story. The quality is baby steps, there isn't any big change until the following year.

And as far as i'm concerned Goronwy is an eldery future Doctor. The Moff endorsed the theory, and i'm sure in one story, Smiths Doctor even mentioned about wanting to retire and keep bees! That's good enough fo rme.

1. Delta And The Bannerman
    2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,104
    Shooting in VHS certainly did not help disguise the low budget even more so when on location in the episides you mentioned @MajorDSmythe.

I have always had a fondness of sorts for Delta and the Bannermen (because of Ray) despite the grotesque cannabilism (the actors appearing to eat raw meat) Don Henderson was wasted he is a good actor.

Ace was great though in a alternate reality Ray became the companion as was the original intention, I have always liked Ray.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think I could have bared her struggling with that accent every week though! :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't think I could have bared her struggling with that accent every week though! :D

Far more tolerable than Mel's screeching ;))
    edited June 2021 Posts: 13,882
    Ray's accent might be a little on the nose, but it is not the worst stab at a Welsh accent, that I have ever heard (it's not the best either*, but still...). It's possible that her accent might have softened if she had stayed on (just like how there is a subtle change in Ace's way of speaking between Dragonfire, and Remembrance Of The Daleks). I think she could have made for a good companion. But... I think JNT made the right choice with Ace. I can't image Ray taking a souped up Baseball bat to a Dalek, or blowing another Dalek up with an RPG. Brining Ray back, is something thta Big Finish should consider.

*As for some of the better examples, I would point to Peter Sellers in Only Two Can Play, and Gemma Arterton in Their Finest.
    Dragonfire
    The return of Glitz, the departure of Mel, the arrival of Ace, and what can only be desribed as one of the worst cliffhangers in the shows history. I am trying to sum up my feelings for series 24. While the stories are too light, at the same time, I want to give them some slack, given everything going on off camera. Since the previous series, Baker was dropped, Saward had walked, and JNT tried to leave. JNT was still able to pull together a new series, in less time that was usually afforded. While the arrival of Ace, mean the McCoy era has now properly begun, I think it's a pity that Mel was never properly used. Bonnie Langford worked so well with McCoy in these early stories, but all she ever did was scream loudly. It took a few years, and a different medium for Mel to come into her own, and not scream every few minutes.

1. Dragonfire
    2. Delta And The Bannerman
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani
    Dragonfire
    The return of Glitz, the departure of Mel, the arrival of Ace, and what can only be desribed as one of the worst cliffhangers in the shows history. I am trying to sum up my feelings for series 24. While the stories are too light, at the same time, I want to give them some slack, given everything going on off camera. Since the previous series, Baker was dropped, Saward had walked, and JNT tried to leave. JNT was still able to pull together a new series, in less time that was usually afforded. While the arrival of Ace, mean the McCoy era has now properly begun, I think it's a pity that Mel was never properly used. Bonnie Langford worked so well with McCoy in these early stories, but all she ever did was scream loudly. It took a few years, and a different medium for Mel to come into her own, and not scream every few minutes.

1. Dragonfire
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani

I know you are a big fan of McCoy and I understand why, in isolation McCoy is a great Doctor certainly in seasons 25 and 26. The truth is Season 24 is abysmal, though I would still rather watch it than anything Jodie Whittaker is in.

Season 24 for me contributed a lot to labelling Doctor Who as a children's show, when in the previous incarnations it was far more adult though kids could enjoy it.

I don't buy the excuse that the reason the recent series is so basic is because its always been a kids show, that's a cop out excuse for bad writing, bad direction, bad acting and bad characterisation.
    Dragonfire

1. Dragonfire
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani

I know you are a big fan of McCoy and I understand why, in isolation McCoy is a great Doctor certainly in seasons 25 and 26. The truth is Season 24 is abysmal, though I would still rather watch it than anything Jodie Whittaker is in.

Season 24 for me contributed a lot to labelling Doctor Who as a children's show, when in the previous incarnations it was far more adult though kids could enjoy it.

I don't buy the excuse that the reason the recent series is so basic is because its always been a kids show, that's a cop out excuse for bad writing, bad direction, bad acting and bad characterisation.

I can't argue with anything you said there. Series 24 is quite bad, dangerously close to pantomine at times. And while the show improved over the next 2 years, cancellation seemed inevitable. It started out as a show for children, but evolved beyond that.

As for the current era, that clip of a teenage Chibnall criticising the show in 1986 is exquisite. Every single one of his complaints, is revelant to the current era.

His comment on Bonnie Langford especially, could also be levelled at Jodie Whittaker. "She just has to restrain herself a bit more". A bit more, try a lot more.
    Dragonfire

1. Dragonfire
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani

I can't argue with anything you said there. Series 24 is quite bad, dangerously close to pantomine at times. And while the show improved over the next 2 years, cancellation seemed inevitable. It started out as a show for children, but evolved beyond that.

As for the current era, that clip of a teenage Chibnall criticising the show in 1986 is exquisite. Every single one of his complaints, is revelant to the current era.

His comment on Bonnie Langford especially, could also be levelled at Jodie Whittaker. "She just has to restrain herself a bit more". A bit more, try a lot more.

The irony from young Chibnall is not lost on me, though I always thought he was a hack writer and I did not like his work during the Tennant and Smith era's. I was hugely disappointed when he was announced as show runner.

I vividly remember watching season 24 when it aired, I remember where I was when liquorice allsort man appeared on TV, even young version of me knew this show had taken a colossal nose dive.
    Dragonfire

1. Dragonfire
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani

The irony from young Chibnall is not lost on me, though I always thought he was a hack writer and I did not like his work during the Tennant and Smith era's. I was hugely disappointed when he was announced as show runner.

I vividly remember watching season 24 when it aired, I remember where I was when liquorice allsort man appeared on TV, even young version of me knew this show had taken a colossal nose dive.

Ah, The Happiness Patrol, from series 25. You know what, I quite like that one. It's a satire on Thatcherism. But I like how on the surface, it looks like a holdover from series 24, but there is a strong feeling of melancholy running beneath the surface. Though I can see why some might be turned off by what sits on the surface, such as Bertie Bassett The Kandy Man. Not the best of the McCoy era, but one I feel has a bad reputation, which I don't agree with.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,104
    Dragonfire

1. Dragonfire
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani

Ah, The Happiness Patrol, from series 25. You know what, I quite like that one. It's a satire on Thatcherism. But I like how on the surface, it looks like a holdover from series 24, but there is a strong feeling of melancholy running beneath the surface. Though I can see why some might be turned off by what sits on the surface, such as Bertie Bassett The Kandy Man. Not the best of the McCoy era, but one I feel has a bad reputation, which I don't agree with.

It's been a while since I watched it, I actually thought it was from the previous season. I just remember the budget being terrible. Candy floss style hair comes to mind for some reason, maybe I should give it a rewatch.
    ---
    Apparently Jodie is staying on as the Doctor for another year and will be in two specials next year... Oh joy.
    Meanwhile, speaking of the classics :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-web-of-fear-steelbook-new-edition/

web-dvd-new.jpg

web-bluray-new.jpg

web-steel-new.jpg

At least an edition worthy of the name, with bonuses (boni ?) :

Audio commentaries on all episodes (with two on episode 1)
    An episode 3 Telesnap Reconstruction
    Photo Gallery
    A ‘Making Of’ documentary
    A ‘Making the Animation’ documenatary
    The Web of Fear Trailer
    The Missing Years documentary
    The Many Voices of Jack Woolgar documetary
    edited June 2021 Posts: 13,882
    Dragonfire

1. Dragonfire
    3. Paradise Towers
    4. Time And The Rani

It's been a while since I watched it, I actually thought it was from the previous season. I just remember the budget being terrible. Candy floss style hair comes to mind for some reason, maybe I should give it a rewatch.
    ---
    Apparently Jodie is staying on as the Doctor for another year and will be in two specials next year... Oh joy.

An honest mistake, I mean... I does look like a series 24 story. And as much praise as I can heap on the improvement of the writing throught the McCoy era, the PeadBC were trying to choke the budget out of the show. They didn't want to risk another Doctor In Distress, so they tried to kill it another way. Jonathan Powell even said that what the show needed, was a new producer, but he didn't even want to give it that. I think as far as the PeadBC were concerned, the show needed to just go away and be forgotten.

As for Jodie, I saw something about the specials. Apparantly, the 2022 DW annual, will be the first one not to feature the current Doctor, which seems to have fueled the rumours that she will be leaving aroudn them. Though apparantly, the publisher have said that they are experimenting with the cover. And odd time to break with tradition. Might it have something to do with the fact that a lot of the merchandise which centres around the Jodie Doctor, appear to be peg warmers? There is a reason that sclapers don't buy up the 5" figures from her era, they don't sell. So all the new fans, who rabidly defend the show, don't buy the merch. While the long term fans, those told to "Go away, it's not for you anymore", they're the ones buying the (pre 12th Doctor) merch.

@Gerard - Time to double dip The Web Of Fear. The cover is goign to be flipped around, as soon as I get it. That would bug me to no end otherwise.
    Doctor Who: Olly Alexander tipped to be new lead
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/27/olly-alexander-tipped-to-be-the-next-doctor-who
    ---
    @MajorDSmythe I remember the unfair comparisons that Grade made to Star Wars, the BBC indeed wanted rid, cutting the budget and a slow death was far more effective that a abrupt cancellation. Putting the fans off an IP is a sure fire way to end it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Olly Alexander thing is so stupid. Russell T Davies (who hasn’t made the show for over ten years) got asked a joke question about whether Alexander would make a good Doctor in an interview for SFX magazine:

While discussing rumours of Jodie Whittaker’s departure (“Is it true? I know nothing!”) Davies played up to leading questions from SFX with a tongue-in-cheek reply to suggestions about her successor. Would Olly Alexander make a good Doctor?

“Oh stop it! This’ll just be all the headlines. You just want SFX headlines everywhere,” Davies replied while rolling his eyes and giving a withering look to the SFX editor. “Yes, Olly would make a marvellous Doctor Who. You tart! You enormous tart! The trouble this causes! They’ll be banging his door, his agent will be saying, ‘What have you done now…’ On your own head be it.”

Just shows how lazy the papers are. They do no research if they can get away with it.

The Olly Alexander thing is so stupid. Russell T Davies (who hasn’t made the show for over ten years) got asked a joke question about whether Alexander would make a good Doctor in an interview for SFX magazine:

While discussing rumours of Jodie Whittaker’s departure (“Is it true? I know nothing!”) Davies played up to leading questions from SFX with a tongue-in-cheek reply to suggestions about her successor. Would Olly Alexander make a good Doctor?

“Oh stop it! This’ll just be all the headlines. You just want SFX headlines everywhere,” Davies replied while rolling his eyes and giving a withering look to the SFX editor. “Yes, Olly would make a marvellous Doctor Who. You tart! You enormous tart! The trouble this causes! They’ll be banging his door, his agent will be saying, ‘What have you done now…’ On your own head be it.”

Just shows how lazy the papers are. They do no research if they can get away with it.

Never heard of Olly and don't follow RTD.

Though we are at that stage when New DW speculation will build, I just assumed Jo Martin would be the next Doctor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Never heard of Olly and don't follow RTD.

It’s not your fault: it’s these terrible journalists not even doing the minimum amount of research.
    One site did contact Alexander’s agent, who has said he’s not doing it and working on his music, but I guess that won’t be reported as widely as the rumours of him doing it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, no research. A new Dr is always a big announcement and actually think Olly would be an interesting bit of casting, but I doubt any official announcement for a long while yet.
    I expect Jody to do a four year stint just because her predecessors did 3 years each, I am looking forward to her next episodes.
    Remembrance Of The Daleks
    Yes, now we're cooking on gas. I don't know if starting with a story this strong, could have saved the show in the eyes of the PaedBC, but what a difference there is in the wrting compared to the previous 4 stories.

If the show was held in higher regard by Auntie at the time, could we have had a Counter Measures spin off? That, I would have liked to have seen. I know BF did something with them, but I have no idea if they're still writing stories for them.

1. Rememberance Of The Daleks
    2. Dragonfire
    3. Delta And The Bannerman
    4. Paradise Towers
    5. Time And The Rani