NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• OK, so I was the one with CR at number 19, but I did have OHMSS at number 4 so maybe one day I will grow up to be a proper James Bond fan like you guys! Until then, I’m off to watch Moonraker. ;;)

Thanks for all your hard work @GoldenGun, I hope Nick Nack has a celebratory bath of Guiness and Tabasco waiting for you!

I put OHMSS at 19.. :-SS

Great game @GoldenGun , this was a lot of fun. Looking forward to next time!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    ;;)

@ShakenNotStirred shall we plan our escape route now ... 😉

2-A2-E34-FB-39-FB-4809-8628-272-A5-A1-E0094.jpg
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Excellent job @GoldenGun! I really enjoyed this thread, even when I disagreed with it. Thanks for all the work tallying up the votes and I loved the unique posters you shared.
  • Great tourney, Golden Gun! And a very worthy winner - OHMSS contains the best elements of the preceding '60s films (except for the absence of Connery), while allowing its unique direction and style to soar. A true gem.
  • ;;)

@ShakenNotStirred shall we plan our escape route now ... 😉

2-A2-E34-FB-39-FB-4809-8628-272-A5-A1-E0094.jpg
    @Max_The_Parrot I'll keep the Aston running!
    tumblr_inline_njp73sGQeT1sr42eh.gif
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Thanks for the kind words, folks. That really means a lot :) Hope everyone has enjoyed it as much as I did. If so, I might bump this thread in a year or so, hopefully to also include NTTD.

Thanks again for participating, and for the lively discussions. After all, this game wouldn't have happened without your contributions :)

Cheers!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Absolutely, would be great to do this in a year or so, especially after we've all had time to see NTTD a bit and digest it and formulate some new thoughts. This was a lot of fun!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I can’t thank you enough @GoldenGun for putting in the required work to do this. ^:)^

Interestingly, with the exceptions of DN, YOLT, FYEO, TLD and SF, the group’s ranking aligned very closely with my own.

It’s been a lot a fun.
  • Whoa, I did not expect OHMSS to edge out CR for the win. But I guess that makes sense if it was the difference of a single vote.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I figured it would, and I am glad. It would have made me feel a bit uncomfortable to not have one of the original '60s run to come out on top.

And there were 3 of them in the top 5, and I think that's down to sheer quality. CR has just seems to be a fan favourite, and even enjoyed by your average joe, a lot of friends I know went to see it and liked it, despite not being Bond fans!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS, the novel and the film, are both miracles in the Bond canon, the one story that Fleming and Eon were building toward, and achieved. Here Fleming perfects the story he first told in CR.

We can and do argue about Lazenby's performance but he at least nailed the vulnerability of Bond in this story (whether that's him acting or just being under immense pressure following Connery, I don't know).

For me, with OHMSS, all the elements come together in a kind of Bond platonic ideal.
    I put together a medal table for those of you who are interested.

On the left the film title, on the right the total of medals won by said title and in between every gold, silver and bronze medal that was collected.

Medal-table-007.png

Entries without any medal:
    YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG, FYEO, OP, NSNA, AVTAK, TND, DAD, SP.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Those are very interesting statistics.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yes, interesting. So uh... technically, CR scooped up most of the gold medals. Very good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And all six Bonds got one or more.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    It was great fun watching this play out and chatting about the films from yet another angle. I'm delighted for OHMSS, which wanders between 1 and 2 for me. Many thanks, @GoldenGun!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Apologies for being late to the party. A hearty well done on hosting this thread @GoldenGun. I had a neat time following on with this thread. The community top three matches with mine, plus with Spy, DN and GF showing well, I can't complain too much.
    Stay tuned, folks! @GoldenGun has something else for us in preparation...
    edited May 2021 Posts: 6,759
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Still fine-tuning the idea at the moment ;)
    Tomorrow I'll propose the concept of a new game :)
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Excellent!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Excellent!

@Mathis I heard it's some kind of GE celebration. ;)
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Excellent!

@Mathis I heard it's some kind of GE celebration. ;)

Then let me start with a -1000!
    No worries @Mathis1, that's not the plan ;)

@DarthDimi Dimi and I were thinking about a Bond girl ranking game.

Let's rank the Bond girls according to your preferences. Later we could do the same for villains/regulars/soundtracks/etc. if there is any interest.

As for the Bond girls, we can each provide two rankings. One would be based on character, personality, charisma and acting performance; the second would be according to looks, attire, and overall glamour.

Let's consider an average of two Bond girls per film. TLD and SF for instance only have one candidate while LALD could have three, although most films will have two representatives of course.

Decided also to include CR67 from now on.

I suggest the following candidates:

Sylvia Trench
    Miss Taro
    Honey Ryder
    Tatiana Romanova
    Jill Masterson
    Pussy Galore
    Fiona Volpe
    Domino Derval
    Vesper Lynd (67)
    Mata Bond
    Aki
    Kissy Suzuki
    Tracy di Vincenzo
    Ruby Bartlett
    Tiffany Case
    Plenty O'Toole
    Miss Caruso
    Solitaire
    Rosie Carver
    Andrea Anders
    Mary Goodnight
    Anya Amasova
    Naomi
    Corinne Dufour
    Holly Goodhead
    Melina Havelock
    Lisl von Schlaff
    Magda
    Octopussy
    Domino Petachi
    Fatima Blush
    May Day
    Stacey Sutton
    Pola Ivanova
    Kara Milový
    Lupe Lamora
    Pam Bouvier
    Xenia Onatopp
    Natalya Simonova
    Paris Carver
    Wai Lin
    Elektra King
    Christmas Jones
    Miranda Frost
    Jinx
    Solange Dimitrios
    Vesper Lynd (06)
    Camille Montes
    Strawberry Fields
    Sévérine
    Lucia Sciarra
    Madeleine Swann

Any suggestions? Feel free to do so.

Cheers,
    GG
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Seems dandy.
    Looks like a great list there! :-)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Why not include Eve Moneypenny for SF and forget about Rosie Carver? You already listed the lovely Miss Caruso as second Bondgirl for LALD. (You also listed three for AVTAK, although I have nothing at all against Pola in a whirlpool...).

Agreed on Eve in SF.
    As for LALD, I think that film should keep its three girls. ;-)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sounds great!
    I was thinking about Eve myself, and I agree it's a valid suggestion, but I was thinking about sparing her for a future game involving regular characters...

Now if you all feel liks she should be in there anyway, I'm sure something can be arranged ;)
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,426
    I appreciate the time and work that must have been going on behind the scenes for this idea. Can I ask though what the format will actually look like? Are you asking us to provide two sets of rankings for all 50-odd women? Or are we say providing a top 20 each? And are the results being revealed one per day as previously? That just seems a little excessive, shuffling 100 options into order and nearly 2 months to reveal the results. There’s a lot of aspects to get your teeth into when ranking whole movies, so that gives me something to ponder on and form a meaningful result. I don’t really know if deciding between 41st, 42nd and 43rd on a list of Bond women would be that meaningful to me.

If I’m honest not really keen on having a separate list for 'glamour, looks and attire' for 50 odd women either. I’d be interesting to know the reason behind the decision to differentiate between character and appearance. At the end of the day I'm pretty sure, like Tiger, we can see that the second category is just 'who's the most sexyful'. WhilstI'm not against that per se (I've made clear my love of Kissy on this forum several times and I’m not pretending it's for the emotional intensity she brings to the character) I’m not sure who I rank 31st compared to 33rd on the sexyful scale has any real meaning to me either. If we're ranking Bond women couldn't we just have one ranking, and we each bring whatever interpretation and criteria we will inevitably bring to such ordering.

I hope you don’t mind me posting thoughts like this, it’s not intended to 'have a go' - I’ve enjoyed the movie ranking round immensely so I’ll certainly carry on joining in the thread however it turns out. Just want to check you’ve given yourselves time to come up with a new format that stays lean, mean and relevant. 😊