Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Oxygen made on Mars.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Hey, everyone...

I had a bit of an episode of anxiety a couple years back. Honestly it wasn't even anything that serious, I just was questioning and overthinking a bunch of stuff for, like, three days. Unfortunately this was while I was trying to fill out Creasy's MI6 interview questions, so after it was all done I then felt like I had let him down and took a couple days. Then I felt I had absolutely screwed the interview thing and so didn't log in for a bit. And then I didn't know how to come back at all out of embarrassment. I'm still ashamed of not finishing that interview for Creasy, I think I even have the 80%-finished thing somewhere in my Google Documents. Anyway I decided to swallow the pill and try to maybe show my face around here every now and then again. I'm really sorry for abandoning the forums like that.

Welcome back!

I know you don't need to hear sanctimonious bullshit, but I always try to keep spaces like this a positive distraction instead of a suffocating burden. So I think stepping back can sometimes be freeing and I hope you can find the fun in participating again.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Welcome back @StirredNotShaken I know from personal experience how " Little things"
    can almost overpower us.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hey, everyone...

I had a bit of an episode of anxiety a couple years back. Honestly it wasn't even anything that serious, I just was questioning and overthinking a bunch of stuff for, like, three days. Unfortunately this was while I was trying to fill out Creasy's MI6 interview questions, so after it was all done I then felt like I had let him down and took a couple days. Then I felt I had absolutely screwed the interview thing and so didn't log in for a bit. And then I didn't know how to come back at all out of embarrassment. I'm still ashamed of not finishing that interview for Creasy, I think I even have the 80%-finished thing somewhere in my Google Documents. Anyway I decided to swallow the pill and try to maybe show my face around here every now and then again. I'm really sorry for abandoning the forums like that.

Why don t you finish it now? Sure @Creasy47 would be delighted and that he isn t sore or anything. Creasy is one of the good guys.

And great to see you back. I wondered what happened.
    I have to say it's f@#$in' mindblowing that I was gone for two years, we didn't have a Bond film, I come back, we still don't have a Bond film. 🤬
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,727
    Welcome back, @StirredNotShaken. You were missed. Was wondering where you'd went to you so glad to see you return. :)
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Welcome back, @ShakenNotStirred. You were missed. Was wondering where you'd went to you so glad to see you return. :)

I think you mean @StirredNotShaken ;)
    Welcome back, StirredNotShaken !!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Welcome back, @ShakenNotStirred. You were missed. Was wondering where you'd went to you so glad to see you return. :)

Apologies, that's who I meant. I've amended my post above. He's been away for so long I've clearly forgotten how his name goes! :D

Apologies, that's who I meant. I've amended my post above. He's been away for so long I've clearly forgotten how his name goes! :D

Dikko made the same mistake, so no shame in it.

Dikko made the same mistake, so no shame in it.

Yes, I was going to reference that in my reply but couldn't think of anything clever enough!
    BsGq6zkIMAAyx1Y?format=jpg&name=large

I have to say, having just watched the two in pretty rapid succession, I stand even firmer by my opinion that Charles Gray is incredible in YOLT, and abysmally miscast in DAF. It's not even that his performance in DAF is "bad", it's more just... Blofeld? Really? THAT'S supposed to be Blofeld?
  • BsGq6zkIMAAyx1Y?format=jpg&name=large

I have to say, having just watched the two in pretty rapid succession, I stand even firmer by my opinion that Charles Gray is incredible in YOLT, and abysmally miscast in DAF. It's not even that his performance in DAF is "bad", it's more just... Blofeld? Really? THAT'S supposed to be Blofeld?

Agreed! Henderson was a nice, small role to play and he was great! As Blofeld, especially after Savalas' performance.. @-)

Agreed! Henderson was a nice, small role to play and he was great! As Blofeld, especially after Savalas' performance.. @-)

It is amazing that you two agree. I was sure you would feel the opposite.

It is amazing that you two agree. I was sure you would feel the opposite.

It's like a yin and yang of the drinks world! :)
    I don't think any of the Cast in DAF are on their best Day. ;) I've always
    thought part of the problem with DAF has to lie with the director Guy
    Hamilton. As everyone seems to be playing it as a light comedy, so I'm
    guessing they'd been instructed to play it that way. Charles Gray could
    play a very menacing villain The Devil rides Out is a clear example.
    I don't think any of the Cast in DAF are on their best Day. ;) I've always
    thought part of the problem with DAF has to lie with the director Guy
    Hamilton. As everyone seems to be playing it as a light comedy, so I'm
    guessing they'd been instructed to play it that way. Charles Gray could
    play a very menacing villain The Devil rides Out is a clear example.

Yes, and that was exactly what Guy Hamilton said to the actors on TMWTGG such as Roger Moore and Christopher Lee. He told them to play it "lightly, lightly", to have fun with it and not take it too seriously. No doubt he told the actors on DAF the same thing. Like yourself I feel that was a big mistake on Hamilton's part.

It's like what someone once said about Ian Fleming. He laughed at his Bond work after he'd written it ("I do write such rubbish!") but he didn't laugh while he was writing it or in the work itself. There is a difference between having fun on a film set and it carrying over into the finished film itself. Clearly the lines got blurred between the two on films like DAF and TMWTGG.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hey, everyone...

No hard feelings here, I hope I wasn't any source of further anxiety for you! There were lots of people who flaked out or stopped replying during those interviews so you certainly aren't alone and it really isn't a big deal at all, anyway. Don't feel any shame or embarrassment for it, it's just good to see you're back. Hope you've been doing well!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I must say I liked Charles Gray the best In The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's just a jump to the left.
    Let's keep Politics out of this :D
    Like @Thunderpussy says above Charles Gray could clearly play a very menacing villain if the script demanded it as we saw when he played Mocata in The Devil Rides Out. It's just a real pity we didn't get to see him play a meatier type of villain in DAF. I suppose DAF would have to have been a vastly different film for that to happen though!
    A public service announcement:

We've got such users as:
    Thunderfinger
    Thunderpussy
    octofinger

We're still missing:
    Goldball
    Octoball
    Goldpussy

Go ahead, future MI6 Community user, complete the pattern!
    I think you'll find if you visit my Fans Only ......... ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    We're still missing:
    Goldball
    Octoball
    Goldpussy

Two balls and a pussy is all we need to ensure a future.
    QBranch wrote: »
    We're still missing:
    Goldball
    Octoball
    Goldpussy

And the future of mankind, when you think about it. ;)
    We're still missing:
    Goldball
    Octoball
    Goldpussy

That's what I meant, my friend!
    Maybe Drax was onto something--including the Countess Labinski and Lady Victoria Devon, of course.
    We're still missing:
    Goldball
    Octoball
    Goldpussy

That's what I meant, my friend!

Yes, I doubled up the joke. I'm a double yolker.
    And for that, you must double the sacrifice. Two balls... for the cause outlined above.
    And for that, you must double the sacrifice. Two balls... for the cause outlined above.

Dragonpol meets Le Chiffre, you could say. ;)