Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The other guy is Aiden Gillen.

Looking at the movie poster on IMDb, Nicholas Hoult gets second billing in the list of names (though Jon Bernthal gets the important 'and' designation at the end of the list).
    Second billing is exactly what EON need IMHO. The biggest threat to Hoult not getting the role is that he signs up for his first , leading role, Hollywood blockbuster.
    I know I'm biased but Hoult knows how to carry a firearm (unlike Gillen) another box ticked. 500-1? c'mon!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    A bit of fan wisdom on here, for as long as I’ve been a member, has always been “the next Bond will have to be young enough to build a franchise around”. Makes sense obviously. But now I’m wondering if that really has to be the case?

Joker came out as a stand alone film and did very well, and DC are apparently planning more one offs like that. There was Logan too, a few years ago, which despite having Hugh Jackman was pretty much its own one off thing, right? I don’t really keep up with those superhero franchises, but do we think this could be the start of a trend, with experimental one offs from the big brands becoming more common? I think the idea of there being a “casual viewer” who’d find it too confusing is holding less and less weight as time goes on. I think pop culture is so full of reboots and alternate takes now that most people are accustomed to it, and we’ve seen these stories so many times that they don’t need much in the way of backstory/set up. Could we see EON do something like Joker in the future? Some sort of experimental one off Bond, R rated or a period piece or something maybe, a whole seperate entity to the the main film series, with a big name who’d only commit to the one film? If they ever did do something like that then the actor’s age wouldn’t matter at all.

My first choice would still be Jack O’Connell either way, although he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth lately, haven’t seen him in anything for a while. Not sure if that’ll hurt or help his chances.

I could see an occasional one off being the next phase of the Bond franchise. If 5-6 year gaps continue, which I sadly believe could be the case, the most I could see a new actor sticking around is 2-3 films regardless of his age.
    I have this hunch, moving forward, that Bond could become an occasional or even rare event in the future. Rare enough that there would be no point in planning anything long term for Craig's replacement. A one off in 2029, then another film in 2041, then 2062 for the 100th and so forth.

I am more skeptical about how it would work for Bond. In itself, I'd love a Holmes type of Bond movie or a period piece, but I fear it would get in the way of the series as a whole. You have the luxury to create one/off movies in the superhero genre and in franchises that produce a dozen films a year, not to mention TV series and what have you. You'll have your main series regardless of that risky standalone project.
    patb wrote: »
    Second billing is exactly what EON need IMHO. The biggest threat to Hoult not getting the role is that he signs up for his first , leading role, Hollywood blockbuster.
    I know I'm biased but Hoult knows how to carry a firearm (unlike Gillen) another box ticked. 500-1? c'mon!

Yeah, I think the only remaining question about Hoult for me is: can he be convincing as a tough guy? It's ironic that he looks so much like his friend Ed Skrein, who plays bad guys so often, but they have a very different presence on-screen.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2021 Posts: 7,889
    I’m a big supporter of Hoult, but admittedly Ed Skrein does have a harder edge. They do look remarkably alike.
    Comments re edge are fair but I also think that we will have a lighter, less edgy Bond in future.
    patb wrote: »
    Comments re edge are fair but I also think that we will have a lighter, less edgy Bond in future.

I agree, and Hoult has a charm that would benefit that.

• MaxOliverMaxOliver US/New York
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1
    Hugh Jackman could have shown us a good bond, but I don't think that's possible anymore...
    MaxOliver wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman could have shown us a good bond, but I don't think that's possible anymore...
    Absolutely, he has the charm of Moore and the intensity of Craig. He could have been a great Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Hoult is a great shout and definitely worth a screentest, but is it just me or does he look too friendly without facial hair?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Roger and Pierce both looked pretty friendly, I'd say.
    mtm wrote: »

Good point.

I've changed my mind about Hoult after them stills. A good versatile actor but he's just a young lad with freaky brows, doesn't scream Bond to me anymore. Need someone superb, someone who shines.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 2,482

That's a fair point mate. Maybe if they went with Hoult or someone similar (perhaps softer in a sense) do you think that would mean a change in direction? Maybe make Bond more of a spy and less of an assassin?

I'd honestly be happier with Hoult, than I would Cavill, Hardy or Page
    I've changed my mind about Hoult after them stills. A good versatile actor but he's just a young lad with freaky brows, doesn't scream Bond to me anymore. Need someone superb, someone who shines.

Freaky eyebrows ? Check pre- Bond Connery!

There has to be link between opinions on the next Bond and opinions on where they will take the character. It makes sense to me that they will go for more intrigue, plot, charm etc and less of the muscle, darkness and navel gazing
    talos7 wrote: »

Freaky eyebrows ? Check pre- Bond Connery!

Crikey! I can't unsee that now haha, really bushy eyebrows. I think his brow and eyes in general look kinda scary. I don't know, looks too "nice" in appearence as well. Dammit. Has a fit bird tho

True but neither looked soft like Hoult does. I'm not against him mind you, and I think 500 to 1 is ridiculous, but I'm not convinced yet. That said, if he was to get the role, I wouldn't be surprised.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »

True but neither looked soft like Hoult does.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.
    "I think I'm too young to be honest" Five years ago. Neither he or us could have predicted the delays.

I think he looks soft. Something about his eyes and the shape of his face. I am not convinced so far, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. And I might be proven wrong because in spite of my reservations I think he's got a fair chance to get it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I think he looks soft. Something about his eyes and the shape of his face. I am not convinced so far, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. And I might be proven wrong because in spite of my reservations I think he's got a fair chance to get it.

Craig struggled to quit smoking when he was cast. Hoult would probably struggle to give up his pacifier.
    I wonder if between now and when the next film is released, if there will be a contender we aren't even speculating about gets it. We'll probably need divine intervention, but let's say the next film is out in 2024.
    That's what happened with Daniel I believe, he wasn't really getting spoken about until 6 months before he was cast
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

100% this. Hoult looks like a softie. Sorry gents.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    My main problem with him is that I always think "That's the kid from About a Boy!" but given that there is a good chance that the next Bond actor will be the first to be younger than me, I will have to get used to that, I guess.
    There is something slight about him, but I have a sneaking suspicion that could be a good thing for a Bond for the near future, with many other action stars going a bit heavy on the HGH in the last few years.
    I disagree, and think he is steadily growing into his looks. Another 3 to 5 years and he’s ready.

100% this. Hoult looks like a softie. Sorry gents.

He's still very young, but even Moore and Brosnan looked tougher at his age. It is true that if cast as Bomd it won't be until 4-5 years at the earliest. He might mature.
    Still amazed by all the suggestions on here.
    Not getting it with any of them!! Hoult?? You're joking? Way too babyish looking!
    If it wasnt for NTTD delay, I really would hope Craig comes back again, as I just dont rate any of the names mentioned!
    One thing we know is that Hoult will age. Whether he will acquire that harder edge... that's another matter. He's got a sensitive face rather than rugged good-looks, but I do think if he doesn't get the role now, in five to ten years time we might well be seeing him in tougher roles and complaining that he was the one that got away. I remember similar discussions about Cillian Murphy on the internet way back in the early days of Craig's tenure - people said he just didn't have the toughness, and was kind of creepy - then he made his mark in Peaky Blinders and people decided he could play tough after all.

For Bond you're not picking an actor for who he is right now, you're also thinking about who he'll be in the upcoming ten to fifteen years.
    One thing we know is that Hoult will age. Whether he will acquire that harder edge... that's another matter. He's got a sensitive face rather than rugged good-looks, but I do think if he doesn't get the role now, in five to ten years time we might well be seeing him in tougher roles and complaining that he was the one that got away. I remember similar discussions about Cillian Murphy on the internet way back in the early days of Craig's tenure - people said he just didn't have the toughness, and was kind of creepy - then he made his mark in Peaky Blinders and people decided he could play tough after all.

For Bond you're not picking an actor for who he is right now, you're also thinking about who he'll be in the upcoming ten to fifteen years.

Absolutely, as I’ve said, you don’t need a traffic signal to be green when you’re blocks away; you need it green when it’s time to cross that intersection.

Now is not the time for the next Bond .