NTTD & Corona

Comments

BT3366 wrote: »
    Yeah, Top Gun will be an interesting case. Part of the appeal of the original was the aerial action. Even today it's still pretty amazing. With technology having changed it will likely enhance such scenes, but with CGI so prevalent in everything, will the younger audience even care? Plus, Cruise is probably seen as more of a movie hero the older audience identifies with. Not sure if Miles Teller is enough to interest the kids.

But it's not from a lack of trying. My Wal Mart has had a display of Top Gun merchandise - T-shirts, shorts, sunglasses, even fanny packs - for months, so at least they're trying to reach out to a wide group of people.

Most of the aerial dogfight stuff in the new movie is done for REAL.This is Cruise were talking about.The film was delayed initally so that he could learn to fly a jet fighter!

And Cruise is still one of the biggest stars in the world and is popular with young audiences due to Mission Impossible films.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2021 Posts: 8,009
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Yeah, Top Gun will be an interesting case. Part of the appeal of the original was the aerial action. Even today it's still pretty amazing. With technology having changed it will likely enhance such scenes, but with CGI so prevalent in everything, will the younger audience even care? Plus, Cruise is probably seen as more of a movie hero the older audience identifies with. Not sure if Miles Teller is enough to interest the kids.

But it's not from a lack of trying. My Wal Mart has had a display of Top Gun merchandise - T-shirts, shorts, sunglasses, even fanny packs - for months, so at least they're trying to reach out to a wide group of people.

Most of the aerial dogfight stuff in the new movie is done for REAL.This is Cruise were talking about.The film was delayed initally so that he could learn to fly a jet fighter!

And Cruise is still one of the biggest stars in the world and is popular with young audiences due to Mission Impossible films.

He didn't fly a jet fighter at any point himself. That was just really good PR. (IIRC - and if anyone else knows better then please chime in - they made the rear cabin look like the front cabin, so there's actually a pilot sitting in front of Cruise, who is just acting.)

As for everything else; it is real and it isn't at the same time. The majority of the flying is done without CG from what I can tell - but the planes are often digitally composited together, turning two shots into one.

456b216bcda8c41cf4ad765c996a927152fda802.jpg?mw=600

It's still a far better approach than using CGI, obviously. But at the end of the day, these planes are worth ridiculous amounts of money - no studio is going to be allowed put them in any serious danger.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    TOP GUN 2 is an unusual sequel in that it’s the longest there’s ever been a gap between films that had the same star.

Blade Runner 2049 matches it.

I skipped that one, but want Ford more of a supporting part in that rather than the star like in the original?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TOP GUN 2 is an unusual sequel in that it’s the longest there’s ever been a gap between films that had the same star.

Blade Runner 2049 matches it.

I skipped that one, but want Ford more of a supporting part in that rather than the star like in the original?

Yes, that is true. Not a minor character, but Gosling is the lead actor.
    Yeah. I can’t remember any other instance where a star like Tom Cruise was coming back to star as the lead of a sequel after 35 years. Closest I can think of there’s THE COLOR OF MONEY with Paul Newman reprising his role Fast Eddie 24 years after the original, which ironically features Tom Cruise as his new protege.

Typically that happens with a younger actor coming in as the star with the older actor serving in a mentor supporting role like THE LAST JEDI.
  • Tom Cruise is amazing. I don't care about his detractors.
    I look at him as two different people. One is the movie star that’s generally dedicated and professional to filmmaking which is commendable. Then there’s the Scientologist asshole that you never want to spend a minute with. It’s okay to accept those two truths. I like him as the movie star, but would probably think he’s an awful person in reality.
    Yeah. I can’t remember any other instance where a star like Tom Cruise was coming back to star as the lead of a sequel after 35 years. Closest I can think of there’s THE COLOR OF MONEY with Paul Newman reprising his role Fast Eddie 24 years after the original, which ironically features Tom Cruise as his new protege.

The closest I can think of is Liv Ullmann returning to her SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE (1973) role in SARABAND (2003).
    Dick van Dyke as Mr. Dawes in "Mary Poppins" (1964) and "Mary Poppins Returns" (2018) = 54 years
    Not the same Mr. Dawes, though.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Liv Ullman and Tom Cruise in the same sentence reminds me of Dame Judi Dench starring with Vin Diesel.
    =bg= wrote: »

The article ESTIMATES the date. Hardly set in stone, especially considering I was supposed to have the soundtrack on vinyl by now. And the Corgi DB5 from the film. And the photo book. And the...you get the point.
    echo wrote: »
    Liv Ullman and Tom Cruise in the same sentence

Only one of them co-starred in a movie with Charles Bronson, and it wasn't Cruise.
    NTTD has been rescheduled so much, that judging by that Vogue cover.... Billie Eilish was 18 when she was announced as the NTTD singer, and now she's like 38!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    dragonsky wrote: »
    NTTD has been rescheduled so much, that judging by that Vogue cover.... Billie Eilish was 18 when she was announced as the NTTD singer, and now she's like 38!

Aww, don't they grow up fast! ;)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

• Does anyone think they'll make more in physical sales if they drop the dvd and blu ray just before christmas. Like the 15 of December or something? Instead of the estimated january 14th.

Does anyone think they'll make more in physical sales if they drop the dvd and blu ray just before christmas. Like the 15 of December or something? Instead of the estimated january 14th.

Well if they changed the physical release date then it'd be in time for the lucrative Christmas market rather than the post-New Year January blues market it's scheduled for. I'm no businessman but I'd say that's a no-brainer. I suppose it is quite close to the release date if they did go for a mid-December physical release date though so that will be factored into the equation too.
    I think they hope the movie will still make money at the theatres over the holiday season.
    That's why they don't release the DVD earlier.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I think they hope the movie will still make money at the theatres over the holiday season.

Yes, the window is too close between the two dates if they moved the physical release to an earlier date I would say.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Yes, the window is too close between the two dates if they moved the physical release to an earlier date I would say.

These are very good points. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have "No time to die" to watch on Christmas Day after a good cheeky meal & nice walk. Suppose well have to wait and see.

I also thought the theatrical window was getting cut down to 45 days? But I suppose if the movie is making good money at Christmas it would make sense to keep it in cinemas.
    I just hope Boris plays it safe here in the UK by delaying any final lifting of restrictions until this Delta variant has been brought under more control, and more people are vaccinated.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    We will have NTTD in theatres in October - is that correct? If so, I am beyond thrilled and it will be safe for me to see it then. I am so damn glad that EON held out for a cinema release for this film.
    So Boris delays final lifting of restrictions by another month for the so called Delta variant and then along comes the Omega variant or the Alpha variant or any other endless list of variants and so we go on this never ending path to nowhere. Are we now going to wait til we've vaccinated two year olds just in case.
    I greatly look forward to seeing it in an IMAX theater ! Big and loud !
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    So Boris delays final lifting of restrictions by another month for the so called Delta variant and then along comes the Omega variant or the Alpha variant or any other endless list of variants and so we go on this never ending path to nowhere. Are we now going to wait til we've vaccinated two year olds just in case.

There has been approx. 300,000 variants so far.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We will have NTTD in theatres in October - is that correct? If so, I am beyond thrilled and it will be safe for me to see it then. I am so damn glad that EON held out for a cinema release for this film.

Just saw this comment, I hope you're doing well! Haven't seen you around here for a while.
    There’s the disc backlog to consider. Titles like The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly and the new Indiana Jones box set have been plagued by delays at the manufacturers getting these things made.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    James Bond fan with cancer and 'weeks to live' begs to see No Time To Die
    https://headtopics.com/uk/james-bond-fan-with-cancer-and-weeks-to-live-begs-to-see-no-time-to-die-20658404