The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I remember a while ago Hammer saying a script for the sequel was being worked on but whether thats still ongoing or even true I don't know. Also, Guy Ritchie very rarely does sequels, so if they do it, I doubt it'll be him.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I still watch it :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I remember a while ago Hammer saying a script for the sequel was being worked on but whether thats still ongoing or even true I don't know. Also, Guy Ritchie very rarely does sequels, so if they do it, I doubt it'll be him.

Interesting!
    The U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle fan group for all the latest news (BTW Ian Fleming was involved in creating "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.": https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,598
    For those of you “Man From U.N.C.L.E” fans, the US cable channel TCM is showing three of the UNCLE “movies” on Thursday, November 5th.

9:15 AM EST One Spy Too Many (1966)
    11:00 AM EST The Venetian Affair (1967)
    12:45 PM EST How to Steal the World (1968)
    Dwayne wrote: »
    For those of you “Man From U.N.C.L.E” fans, the US cable channel TCM is showing three of the UNCLE “movies” on Thursday, November 5th.

9:15 AM EST One Spy Too Many (1966)
    11:00 AM EST The Venetian Affair (1967)
    12:45 PM EST How to Steal the World (1968)

The Venetian Affair isn't actually an U.N.C.L.E. film although one could easily believe it was: It's a spy-themed film made when UNCLE was still in production, it stars Robert Vaughn and has the word Affair, which was part of the title of each episode, in its title.

Never actually seen the film, though, myself. David McCallum also made a couple of similar films around that time.
    @BT3366. Thanks for the information. While I have seen "One Spy too Many" in the past, I've never had a chance to watch the other two. My knowledge of the old "Man From U.N.C.L.E. series clearly isn't the best :D
    I'm sure you're not the only one who didn't realize it. If you have the slightest interest, U.N.C.L.E. is a fun series to discover. There's actually a DVD set that has all 8 U.N.C.L.E. feature films that were edited from the series if that's more your thing.
    @BT3366. Thanks for the recommendation.

As with many ‘spy’ programs from the 1960’s (Get Smart, The Wild Wild West, Secret Agent Man, I Spy), The Man from U.N.C.L.E has virtually disappeared from syndicated television in recent years (at least in the NYC market). And while I remember watching the program on TV during it initial syndication in the 1970s, I have forgotten almost all of the plot details of individual episodes. Most of what I do remember consists of the great theme song and that there were a wide array of guest stars on the program.

I almost bought the large UNCLE DVD box set some years ago, but it cost IIRC about $300 USD. Unfortunately, like “The Avengers”, it is now virtually impossible to buy the complete set on DVD without paying a huge price on the re-seller’s market in the US. iTunes does, however, have the episodes for sale, so maybe I’ll go that route at some point. Of course, there is the "grey market".....
    For more info on UNCLE or just hang out with other UNCLE fans join us over at The Inner Circle" https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    BT3366 wrote: »
    The Venetian Affair isn't actually an U.N.C.L.E. film although one could easily believe it was: It's a spy-themed film made when UNCLE was still in production, it stars Robert Vaughn and has the word Affair, which was part of the title of each episode, in its title.

Never actually seen the film, though, myself. David McCallum also made a couple of similar films around that time.

I watched The Venetian Affair recently - I'm a fan of Helen MacInnes, who wrote the novel it was based on, and of course of Robert Vaughn. It's pretty good!
    Well that was a fun way to spend about 5 hours – except for the Venetian Affair, which I found to be fairly boring. And as @BT3366 stated, it is certainly not a TMFU film. I wonder why TCM programmed it between two actual TMFU movies?

As I stated in one of my prior post, one of the things that I remember (and really enjoy) about these MFU shows was the opportunity to see a “virtual who’s who” of 1950’s and 1960s TV/film stars in guest roles.

One Spy Too Many
    Really enjoyable and the plot pacing is great.

Cast notables: Yvonne Craig (TV’s Batgirl and guested in many TV shows of that era), Dorothy Provine (Kramer’s “It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World), Rip Torn and Teru Shimada (YOLT).

How to Steal the World
    Some one actually pointed out on twitter how much the ‘evil headquarters looks like LAX from the outside?” 😉. A quick check on Bill Koenig’s TMFU guide indicated that this was indeed the case!!!! I think that this was the final TMFU show filmed.

Cast notables: Leslie Nielsen (!), Barry Sullivan, Eleanor Parker (!), Hugh Marlowe (or was it Richard Carlson!!! 😊) and Tony Bill (who for some reason always reminds me of Keir Dullea). Ruth Warrick (“Citizen Kane”).

All in all, a nice re-introduction for me to TMFU.
    *Fans of 1950's "B" SCI-FI films will get that joke.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @BT3366. Thanks for the recommendation.

As with many ‘spy’ programs from the 1960’s (Get Smart, The Wild Wild West, Secret Agent Man, I Spy), The Man from U.N.C.L.E has virtually disappeared from syndicated television in recent years (at least in the NYC market). And while I remember watching the program on TV during it initial syndication in the 1970s, I have forgotten almost all of the plot details of individual episodes. Most of what I do remember consists of the great theme song and that there were a wide array of guest stars on the program.

I almost bought the large UNCLE DVD box set some years ago, but it cost IIRC about $300 USD. Unfortunately, like “The Avengers”, it is now virtually impossible to buy the complete set on DVD without paying a huge price on the re-seller’s market in the US. iTunes does, however, have the episodes for sale, so maybe I’ll go that route at some point. Of course, there is the "grey market".....

I can't ever remember UNCLE in syndication when I was a kid except in areas we couldn't get in those antenna days. My only exposure to it was through the movies until CBN broadcast it in 1985. Get Smart, Avengers and Wild Wild West showed up in my market when I was a kid but rarely afterward. I really discovered The Avengers, New Avengers and The Saint from the CBS Late Night Movie in the early '80s. Some would get exposure in different ways as the years went on and now are on a lot of streaming outlets.

I think the UNCLE DVDs can probably be found for a decent price if you look in the right places. My library even carries the series, all the movies and even the Girl from UNCLE, so that may be an option.

I have the entire Avengers series, but it's a Region 2 import and the only way I could watch it was on my computer and that one died last year and I'd need a multi-region player to watch them now.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Again due to a special offer on Amazon Prime I got all four seasons of TMFU for a
    low price. I've had fun watching them all and as I have most of the films on DVD, 1
    experimented with watching a movie and then the two tv episodes it was made from
    to see the small differences.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Glen Powell (1988) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1412974/

glen-powell-scream-queens.jpg?w=1000

glen-powell-5b4c551489772aadc520a6825f722fe5456f7dad.jpg

Must he replaced by American actor, if not..

William Moseley

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0608440/

Best known from Narnia movies and is seen in The Courier (2019) starring Olga Kurylenko. He is from1987.

AAAABU9-Qp--fcUWNjyvK6lqFgWapjNbL1xIiqw6s4jt5vqJazrQc0CyaYfJ5o6WmrpmgiEbcvciEzBfZEk6Zopc5dOkVDAF.jpg

He is also part of Bond 7 discussion/remour. https://en.cpost.org/poll/william-moseley/james-bond.html

217c086139246e04aa7b4890a7059e89.png
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    delfloria wrote: »

Yes I saw this: I'd believe it when I see it. I don't see why they'd be interested in a sequel suddenly now (I guess it could possibly be something to go straight to streaming).

Cynics may say it's a story made up as a way of getting Cavill's name out there for Bond again.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It wouldn't happen but not gonna lie, seeing Daniel Craig in the role wouldn't be too awful.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Denbigh wrote: »
    It wouldn't happen but not gonna lie, seeing Daniel Craig in the role wouldn't be too awful.

I'm sure that stranger things have happened in the past. For example, look how many times Roger Moore came back after his initial multipicture contract had expired and after he had intimated that he was finished playing Bond. The same thing was true of Sean Connery coming back for DAF after all the publicised hard times filming YOLT in Japan. Of course money talks and memories of any agonies attendant to filming are fleeting in nature.
    I would love to see another UNCLE movie, or even a streaming series.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Streaming does feel possible: it's always turning up on various different services so probably has decent viewing stats by now; plus Cavill is gettable for that sort of thing.

Why does he want the James Bond role after Daniel Craig. Isn't Solo & Superman enough
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I guess he’d be happy enough if people were actually making films with him as Solo or Superman! Can’t blame him for wanting some work :)
    If only he could land Johnny English he have the big four roles :D
    Has there ever been talks of a Blu-ray release of the TV series? I've considered getting the DVD collection, but if there's any chance of a Blu-ray release anytime soon, I'd rather wait.
    Has there ever been talks of a Blu-ray release of the TV series? I've considered getting the DVD collection, but if there's any chance of a Blu-ray release anytime soon, I'd rather wait.

There is no talk whatsoever about a Blu-ray release. Go for the DVD's but make sure you get the collection that includes the extras.

There is no talk whatsoever about a Blu-ray release. Go for the DVD's but make sure you get the collection that includes the extras.

A bit of a shame really, but I guess if the quality of the DVDs are good enough, that shouldn't matter. The collection with the extras is the grey box from 2014, am I right?
    There is some excitement on here for a second UNCLE theatrical movie, but that, methinks, is because we are on a fan-site. The first UNCLE movie did not set the world on fire. I looked forward to it tremendously, and I enjoyed it, but a lot of it was...meh. It was not just the (August, burial ground) date for the release. HCavill is handsome as they get, and I don't let myself get excited about him portraying Bond in the future because I know he already portrayed another secret-agent in whose development as a fictional character Fleming had at least a small part - Solo - and it did not fly. Not Cavill's fault, of course. There's a script, a color scheme, a plot, direction, etc. but Cavill's participation did not seem to bring in crowds in spite of other aspects about the film.

Frankly - and with Arnie Hammer apparently out, fairly or not - they may as well re-cast ALL the way round, and change director, and make an entertaining TV streamer.
    This next thought about UNCLE is distinct from the observations I set forth in my prior note, so it really stands appropriately as a separately note.

When the TV was made, it intentionally was presented in a visual, thematic, acting and overall style as unreal. It was exceedingly hip, modern and cool. I think that was a large part of what made it popular. I read on the Batman page recently a note which stated that the Batman TV show producers went with the High Camp style partly because of what they saw on UNCLE.

The not-so-recent-anymore Guy Ritchie theatrical film, however, while still set in the 60s, and given some glamorous locations along the way, was very realistic-looking. That is no easy thing to accomplish, but they did succeed. However - I think that is what contributed to the film being somewhat dull and not setting large audiences abuzz and generating good word-of-mouth and bringing in other film-goers.

If someone were to make a sequel - really ? of a not-very-popular film and after a LONG time ? - or a TV streamer, yes, they could go with the same cast despite a significant tonal and visual change to be like the TV show, or they could go with a new cast along with those changes.

Given the numbers on the theatrical film, it sure seems more likely to bring in a new cast with the new (going back to the old, that is) style and appearance.

So here would be an interesting challenge - go with the style and appearance approach from the 60s tv show, but set in the present day. OK, noooow the mind boggles.
    Before the movie I thought Ryan Gosling would be the perfect Solo, The Gray Man is obviously the closest we'll get though.