Creed - Rocky franchise spin off.

Comments

• RyanRyan Canada
    Creed III is a great idea. Not sold on a prequel series as I'm really not too keen on seeing anybody but Stallone playing Rocky.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    My first reaction to a prequel was negative, but after giving it some thought, a film set in the sixties that shows the promise of a young Rocky and how he became a thumb breaker and back room brawler could be interesting, if done right, in the same vein as the original. It probably would be a tragic story that sets up what leads to the triumph of meeting Adrian and fighting Apollo.
    Ryan wrote: »
    Creed III is a great idea. Not sold on a prequel series as I'm really not too keen on seeing anybody but Stallone playing Rocky.

Same. Consider how badly that Rocky musical went down for the count.

Creed are a respectful continuation of the series, once you get past the Apollo infidelity and all that, and doesn't feel exploitative whereas this idea does. Rocky is one of those characters where we have just enough knowledge of his past to satisfy us and we can use our own imaginations to fill in any details. This is where creators can get themselves into trouble by throwing in all this stuff we really don't need and that don't enhance our appreciation of the character or his legacy. It just becomes a money grab, plain and simple.

Please, Sly, don't do this. Rocky's story was so appealing because it wasn't about the trappings of the time and that won a lot of people over competing in the '76 Oscars against films with contemporary themes like All the President's Men, Network and Taxi Driver. To put this simple guy with raw athletic talent against a background he wasn't affected by at all - new left, hippies, civil rights, etc. - just doesn't work.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it's hard to see how there's much story to tell before his story started, but if they get someone good onboard maybe it can work.

I'm much more interested in Creed, although without Coogler I get a bit concerned as Creed 2 was a bit of a disappointment compared to the totally thrilling first one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If the mini series has the tone and grit of the first and best ROCKY I am all for it.
    If the mini series has the tone and grit of the first and best ROCKY I am all for it.

Exactly, without the sensationalism of most of the sequels, except for Rocky Balboa.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »

Exactly, without the sensationalism of most of the sequels, except for Rocky Balboa.

Rocky 6 was a return to form, as fun as 3 and 4 were they were ludicrous at times. I tend to gravitate to 1 and 2 for when I need a motivational lift certainly with training.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 23,102
    ‘Rocky IV’ Director’s Cut Gets One-Night Only Theatrical Run, Restores 40 Minutes of Footage
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2021/film/news/rocky-iv-directors-cut-theaters-sylvester-stallone-1235077899/amp/

On hiatus avoiding NTTD spoilers though had to post this, got chills watching this...

Whoa! A must purchase for me.
    Screen+Shot+2021-06-01+at+9.29.57+AM.png

9fv5okG9bo646cZMX5zjkD.jpg

Rocky-IV-Rocky-Vs-Drago-poster.jpg?w=394

edited October 2021 Posts: 23,102
    Stallone talks Rocky 🥊🥊 ...
    The worst thing about this being a 1-day only event is Nov. 11 is a Thursday and that's a challenge for some of us. I'm sure my city won't be playing it so I'd have to travel to a neighboring city. Hope there's a home video release not long after.
    Stallone critizes Rocky producer

Stallone not appearing in Creed III 🥊
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 299

Creed III without Rocky bothers me a lot. It's like french fries without salt. This is not the same.
    I'm counting on even a small cameo appearance.
    Librarian wrote: »

Creed II without Rocky bothers me a lot. It's like french fries without salt. This is not the same.
    I'm hoping for even small cameo.

Rocky not being in the third Creed film certainly makes me less interested.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I finally saw all the Rocky films for the first time in the last few weeks, wasn't terribly impressed by any of them and they certainly got worse as they went along.

The two Creed films I've seen were serviceable enough (I recall the first being better than the second). I'm surprised we haven't gotten a trailer for the third yet with its release coming in November. I'm guessing it'll be online any day now or it's getting pushed to 2023.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I finally saw all the Rocky films for the first time in the last few weeks, wasn't terribly impressed by any of them and they certainly got worse as they went along.

The two Creed films I've seen were serviceable enough (I recall the first being better than the second). I'm surprised we haven't gotten a trailer for the third yet with its release coming in November. I'm guessing it'll be online any day now or it's getting pushed to 2023.

I watched many of the earlier Rocky films at the cinema and back in the 80's it was a phenomena. Also I have an emotional relationship with these films over the decades as I do a lot of fitness training, these films mean a lot to me.
    I'm sure they were blistering and outstanding back in the day. They just didn't translate well to me as first time viewings in 2022. Honestly, I was way more gripped by the melodrama and tight focus on family and friendship than I was the boxing. The choreography was so bad and I could only see so many swings miss yet somehow "connect" before I tuned out. The films got pretty predictable too but the drama and heart and soul outside of the ring was what was most enticing to me.
    I'm sure they were blistering and outstanding back in the day. They just didn't translate well to me as first time viewings in 2022. Honestly, I was way more gripped by the melodrama and tight focus on family and friendship than I was the boxing. The choreography was so bad and I could only see so many swings miss yet somehow "connect" before I tuned out. The films got pretty predictable too but the drama and heart and soul outside of the ring was what was most enticing to me.

Its Rocky's personal journey that is always at the forefront for me, the first two films are the best by far, Though I do like 6.
    For me, Rocky’s saga came to a fitting, satisfying conclusion with Rocky Balboa (2008) ; it’s a movie that captured the tone of the first two. I feel the same about Rambo (2006) , another fitting conclusion.

edited July 2022 Posts: 23,102
    For me, Rocky’s saga came to a fitting, satisfying conclusion with Rocky Balboa (2008) ; it’s a movie that captured the tone of the first two. I feel the same about Rambo (2006) , another fitting conclusion.

Creed hit a good tone for me though it fell off a cliff in the second film, on reflection Rocky Balboa should have been the final chapter. There is one moment when Rocky is on the phone is Creed II that gets me, that is heavy (regarding his son).
    With “Creed”, a major problem for me was Michael B. Jordan. He’s a good actor but I never bought him as the son of Apollo Creed, in large part because of his thin voice. Carl Weathers was so outstanding and had loads of charisma as well as a deep commanding voice.
    With “Creed”, a major problem for me was Michael B. Jordan. He’s a good actor but I never bought him as the son of Apollo Creed, in large part because of his thin voice. Carl Weathers was so outstanding and had loads of charisma as well as a deep commanding voice.

True Weather's had an emotional intensity that elevated the character...

There Is No Tomorrow.
    I was watching a Rocky marathon last weekend. They are still kind of timeless, although you do see flaws you didn't always notice early on, but not enough to distract. I recall watching the trailer for Creed and cringing, thinking it was a sell-out, cash-grab and was surprised to find myself enjoying it and the sequel. Sucks Stallone won't be part of the third film.

I love this scene.

Stallone got himself into insanely good shape. Those steps are no challenge at all though its a great scene.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2022 Posts: 7,518

A spin off of a spin off... they should do a spin off of the old guy that trains Creed in Creed, I'd like to watch his origin story.
    We will get a Clubber Lang prequel next.
    Cash Cow or Dead Horse , take your pick.
    Eventually, they should do a spinoff of Drago, starring that American boxer he fought in the eighties. They could call the film... Rocky.

Seriously though, I just like Dolph Lundgren, so I'm all for seeing him star in a studio film.

A spin off of a spin off... they should do a spin off of the old guy that trains Creed in Creed, I'd like to watch his origin story.

Surprised we've not gotten one yet for Sico the robot.
    I want a Mickey origin story they can call it... Eat Lightning and Crap Thunder