No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That’s awesome @QBranch
    Can't be much secret about it if it says so right on the card ! In the books, in terms of appearances, Bond worked for -- and at the offices of -- a company engaged in import/export work. He didn't have a #$*$&-ing card which said "SECRET agent for the UK" right on the face !!!
    Since62 wrote: »
    Can't be much secret about it if it says so right on the card ! In the books, in terms of appearances, Bond worked for -- and at the offices of -- a company engaged in import/export work. He didn't have a #$*$&-ing card which said "SECRET agent for the UK" right on the face !!!

Yep, a Universal Exports or Transworld Consortium card would have made much better sense.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I don’t think this card is something he would carry with him on missions.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    QBranch wrote: »
    First look at Bond's new MI6 ID card for No Time to Die:

51083985417_448ec9efe6_o.png

Light hitting the hologram from different angles:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51083985847_0e204e3992_o.png
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51014705310_e5ac5c1475_o.png

Official still?
    Certainly, he'd not carry it on missions -- but he'd use it at the MI-6 HQ ? Wouldn't they just check fingerprint and facial recognition ? I realize this may be just a minor plot device, but it's silly. Really, one could have made this comment going back to the days of Pierce B -- why on earth have Bond go to MI-6, unless by some surreptitious, not observable manner ?
    edited March 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Since62 wrote: »
    Certainly, he'd not carry it on missions -- but he'd use it at the MI-6 HQ ? Wouldn't they just check fingerprint and facial recognition ? I realize this may be just a minor plot device, but it's silly. Really, one could have made this comment going back to the days of Pierce B -- why on earth have Bond go to MI-6, unless by some surreptitious, not observable manner ?
    It's just classic fan nitpicking at the end of the day, isn't it?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I have no idea if this card is based on anything actually from the film, but the organisation really is called SIS- people do work for it. I imagine it's probably mostly referred to as part of the Foreign Office on ID cards and the like though.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    mtm wrote: »
    I have no idea if this card is based on anything actually from the film, but the organisation really is called SIS- people do work for it. I imagine it's probably mostly referred to as part of the Foreign Office on ID cards and the like though.

They sell them on the 007 store, so I’d assume they are from the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Cool, thank you; it's a fun thing.
    Mallory wrote: »

I think so, but if you look at the MI6 logo and the signature, they're far different from the ones sold by 007 store
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Mallory wrote: »

I think so, but if you look at the MI6 logo and the signature, they're far different from the ones sold by 007 store

Well yes, I dont think the real SIS would be too impressed with us all running around with our official looking 007 ID cards. 😂
    A bunch of SIS agents on the field! :))
    Of course
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So what's the photo of? I'm confused.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I mean, yeah, in a real world one of the most unofficial members of MI6 who should internally only be known by his code number would probably not just waltz into the HQ and have a door access card with his real name on it, especially when he uses that real name on missions constantly. But that name thing has been discussed every possible way for forever with Bond and we just have to accept that the whole set-up isn't all that realistic in the modern time, where the British government acknowledges the existence of the SIS publicly and everyone knows where their HQ is and who runs the service.
    It is equally unlikely that such an officer would be briefed in the Chief's office and that the Head of the Secret Intelligence Service, i.e. one of the most senior civil servants in the UKs Foreign and Defence apparatus, would have direct operational control over an agent's mission. But that is the template since ’62 and a change to that would be derided all around. In my head canon at least from CR on, M is the Head of the 00 section and some other unseen bureaucrat takes care of all of the rest of the service. That is the one thing that Carte Blanche gets right in my estimation. Nowadays it makes much more sense that M and Bond and Moneypenny and the rest of them work in a smaller, unofficial side-unit that is tasked with high value field work and not the huge MI6 itself.

In the other hand: Doesn't Fleming basically put into the obit in YOLT that his books exist inside the world of 007 and Bond is basically very well known to the public? That makes all if this much weirder. But again, none of it is all the real to begin with and that's part of the fun in it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    jake24 wrote: »
    That’s awesome @QBranch
    Cheers buddy, glad you like it.

The card I showed above is my replica, but as I said, this is Bond's new one for the film - this is not based on the one from 007Store, the one for sale there is based on the one from the film. I have been working on making this card since before the novelty ones appeared online. The one I am showing here - the front side and hologram is visually accurate to the one made by the prop department. I have not seen the back of the actual card.

The prop guys made MI6 IDs for Bond for TND and TWINE, and SIS IDs for Bond for SF and NTTD. Probably other films too. Many other MI6 crew members have had IDs going back to TLD, maybe earlier. You can see Mallory's SIS ID on his desk in one of the NTTD production photos of his office.

Now, let's compare the SIS ID card designs made for SF, SP and NTTD:

51082362883_c1f4a034ce_o.png
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited March 2021 Posts: 1,755
    400 million dollar deal reached for Knives Out 2 to go straight to Netflix. Daniel Craig & Rian Johnson returning.

Edit: pending I guess. Nothing official yet.
    I'm confused. Does Bond arrive these days at Universal Exports and then secretly go into the MI6 facilities or does he just walk into a government sanctioned building housing intelligence services and check in?
    delfloria wrote: »
    I'm confused. Does Bond arrive these days at Universal Exports and then secretly go into the MI6 facilities or does he just walk into a government sanctioned building housing intelligence services and check in?

At least from the trailer of NTTD with the "Bond. James Bond" gag it looks like he just walks into the visitor's entrance. At that point he has been retired for some time of course.
    I don't know if anyone has a more complete history of the Universal Exports cover in recent times, but I don't think it has been used extensively for either Brosnan or Craig. They have more purpose-built covers from mission to mission.
    As for Craig, he usually just shows up in M's residence to get around the problem of official cover 😂.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    400 million dollar deal reached for Knives Out 2 to go straight to Netflix. Daniel Craig & Rian Johnson returning.

Edit: pending I guess. Nothing official yet.

Knives out 2 AND 3 actually.

Nr 2 starts shooting in Greece this summer.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/knives-out-two-sequels-netflix-400-million-plus-deal-daniel-craig-rian-johnson-ram-bergman-1234724575/

https://www.engadget.com/knives-out-netflix-215245594.html

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    delfloria wrote: »

I think these days UniEx is just the cover name they use when they're out and about rather than the building name- everyone knew Vauxhall Cross was the MI6 building. I think it was only ever shown to be used on the actual HQ in OHMSS and TLD...? I've probably missed an obvious one!
    DN:

45395172384_a96c05e45b_o.jpg

Would love to see a new (evolved) Univex logo in NTTD just to further reflect how things have changed in Bond's absence.

I think the most recent mentions of Univex were in the Dynamite comics Hammerhead and Kill Chain, with a Univex warehouse where Bond keeps a Mustang, and a Univex truck full of killer drones.

I feel we need a Univex thread.
    Dryden has a Univex folder in the drawer he keeps his gun in. It has the old logo with the stylized globe.
    Would be cool if it came back in a more prominent way, I think. And don't they switch to a different cover somewhere late in the Fleming novels?
    Yeah, I believe that is Transworld Consortium from TMWTGG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QBranch wrote: »
    DN:

45395172384_a96c05e45b_o.jpg

Good point! I love that the entirety of MI7(!) in that film seems to be M's office :D
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Knives out 2 is gonna come out before this film. Lol
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 1,469
    Just read this, which I think is a "what if" idea about NTTD. Perhaps this has already been considered in this thread. Incidentally this website has a bunch of other Bond articles.
    https://screenrant.com/james-bond-no-time-die-spectre-reverse-twist-mistake/
    Blofeld has two conflicting birth dates in NTTD (04/07/46 and 28/05/64), so there's definitely something fishy going on with him.
    I saw that article urging the film-makers to undo the Blofeld-is-Bond's-brother plotline in NTTD. How ? Bond certainly recognizes him. And Blofeld certainly was the head of SPECTRE. The only thing which would be undone would be that Blofeld had not organized other villains in any way to trouble Bond. OK...but you'd already have the significant non-changeable aspect: that Bond's brother became the head of SPECTRE, an organization of baddies
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Not that I like the Brother thing, but I wonder if it would have been embraced, if Kevin Spacey was cast as Blofeld. Because I think there were rumours then that Spacey might be Blofeld. And I really bought it, because of his American Beauty connection with Mendes.