Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Bryan Cranston as Blofeld ! "Say my name !"
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Since62 wrote: »
    Bryan Cranston as Blofeld ! "Say my name !"

They could do worse, but just don’t make the mistake they made in Godzilla and kill him off in the first third of the movie.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2021 Posts: 5,834
    It'll be interesting to see if EON can keep the casting a secret whenever it finally happens. One thing I find frustrating these days is the lack of surprises. Casting is either rumoured, reported before an announcement. I can't remember if Craig's casting was rumoured or reported before that announcement.

I still remember going to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans' Chest back in 2006 and was completely surprised by Geoffrey Rush's return at the end. If the film was made today, his return would've already have been reported about a year before the film came out.

I'm hoping our new James Bond can be kept under wraps until the announcement.
    mtm wrote: »
    A bit like when they cast Patrick Stewart as Professor X: good casting certainly, but would they have considered him if he wasn't bald?

Well at least there's a visual reference to begin with. Professor X is meant to be bald. And they didn't cast just any actor: Stewart's face is very much like Xavier's. First time I watched TNG this is the first thing I thought: this guy looks like Professor X. And that was in the early 90s.
    OK, since we're on the point: Should Max von Sydow have shaved his head to portray Blofeld in NSNA ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    No, but considering how good Von Sydow usually was at baddies, it’s strange how nice and cuddly he played Blofeld.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2021 Posts: 45,489
    Denbigh wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if EON can keep the casting a secret whenever it finally happens. One thing I find frustrating these days is the lack of surprises. Casting is either rumoured, reported before an announcement. I can't remember if Craig's casting was rumoured or reported before that announcement.

I still remember going to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans' Chest back in 2006 and was completely surprised by Geoffrey Rush's return at the end. If the film was made today, his return would've already have been reported about a year before the film came out.

Craig was mentioned as one of the contenders in the British press a few weeks before the announcement. His actual casting was first reported at the press conf.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Who would you cast if (hypothetically) nationality didn't matter? So EON decided to look at actors who weren't British.

For me, I'd choose American actor, Christopher Abbott.

Possessor2.jpg

Sorry, I'm a bit late catching up with this one.
    I could see Ryan Gosling doing a good job as Bond if nationality didn't matter.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Ludovico wrote: »
    A bit like when they cast Patrick Stewart as Professor X: good casting certainly, but would they have considered him if he wasn't bald?

Well at least there's a visual reference to begin with. Professor X is meant to be bald. And they didn't cast just any actor: Stewart's face is very much like Xavier's. First time I watched TNG this is the first thing I thought: this guy looks like Professor X. And that was in the early 90s.

Yes, and as I meant to say in my post above about Blofeld it was Dr No who was the one with the bald head in the Fleming novels and not Blofeld. However, in the film version of Dr No the titular character as played by Joseph Wiseman was of course much changed in appearance. One could even say that the character was much toned down in appearance too. Perhaps it could be said that the idea to make Blofeld bald was inspired by the literary Dr No's look. Or of course it could just be a generic evil criminal mastermind look? However, on the other hand, anyone sporting this sort of look is often compared to the iconic Blofeld of the Bond films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861

Craig was mentioned as one of the contenders in the British press a few weeks before the announcement. His actual casting was first reported at the press conf.

I feel like I knew it was him for sure before he arrived on that speedboat though..? I may be remembering it wrong.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 17,728

I feel like I knew it was him for sure before he arrived on that speedboat though..? I may be remembering it wrong.

I didn't know it was him for sure but I do recall seeing a banner on the front of the Belfast Telegraph in about March 2005 or so which said Daniel Craig was most likely going to be the next Bond. I still have it and the accompanying article stuck into a scrapbook somewhere. As far as I can recall that was the first time I saw Craig linked with the Bond role though of course it was just educated speculation. I don't believe the general public at large knew for sure who the new Bond actor would be until the speedboat stuff and the press conference reveal on 14 October 2005.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yes, and as I meant to say in my post above about Blofeld it was Dr No who was the one with the bald head in the Fleming novels and not Blofeld. However, in the film version of Dr No the titular character as played by Joseph Wiseman was of course much changed in appearance. One could even say that the character was much toned down in appearance too. Perhaps it could be said that the idea to make Blofeld bald was inspired by the literary Dr No's look. Or of course it could just be a generic evil criminal mastermind look? However, on the other hand, anyone sporting this sort of look is often compared to the iconic Blofeld of the Bond films.

The novel's Dr No might have been an inspiration for the appearance of the movie Blofeld, but I suspect they were just trying to go with Donald Pleasence's general look and twist it to make him more menacing: instead of a balding man, a fully bald head a la Mussolini and the scar to harden a "soft" face. Off topic, but that's the way to go with Blofeld: see what actor we have and then work from there to create a suitable appearance.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Who would you cast if (hypothetically) nationality didn't matter? So EON decided to look at actors who weren't British.

For me, I'd choose American actor, Christopher Abbott.

Possessor2.jpg

Sorry, I'm a bit late catching up with this one.
    I could see Ryan Gosling doing a good job as Bond if nationality didn't matter.

God no
    Regé-Jean Page recently left Bridgerton's second series and even Deadline ran an article stating he 'is mix to be the next James Bond'. It's unclear if they are speculating or have heard something. Though it could likely be a bit of both.

I like this guy's look. He's as handsome as Henry Cavill or Pierce Brosnan. He also reminds me of a young Colin Salmon. I'm yet to see Bridgerton, but merely in the abstract, I could see him as the next James Bond. He's clearly going to be a star, so perhaps someone to keep an eye on.....

Rege-Jean-Page-Bridgerton-James-Bond.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500
    0_Vanity-Fair-EE-Rising-Star-BAFTAs-Pre-Party-Red-Carpet-Arrivals.jpg
    for-the-people_9cv82d-scaled-e1609759753596.jpg
    0*GuqMwhTV43U5eImi.gif
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I wouldn't rule him out, but it's far too early to be thinking of the next Bond. EON may be looking very discreetly at potential Bonds, but with NTTD yet to be released, they're not going to be casting the next actor for a while yet.
    By then it's possible that Regé-Jean Page will be just another name in the who could be a Bond actor hall of fame.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Benny wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule him out, but it's far too early to be thinking of the next Bond. EON may be looking very discreetly at potential Bonds, but with NTTD yet to be released, they're not going to be casting the next actor for a while yet.
    By then it's possible that Regé-Jean Page will be just another name in the who could be a Bond actor hall of fame.

Handsome chap, but still not really Bond. IF it was between Elba and Page then 100% Page.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I’m personally not really into him as a possible choice. Also, if we’re trying to say that he’s not in the second season because of James Bond, then that seems really unlikely because I’m sure he’d have plenty of time between now and whenever Bond 26 starts production to actually do Bridgerton.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    We've talked about him before. I like him, I think he's very handsome and has a certain amount of presence, and I think he's going places. I certainly see why he's mentioned as a possible Bond candidate.

I still think Hoult is going to be the guy to beat, though.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    No offence to Regé-Jean Page but he'd be a backwards step from Craig.
    I've not seen him in much admittedly (par only half an episode of Bridgeton) but I had to turn it off, too much pouting and posing for me, felt like a wooden version of Brosnan. I get why my Mrs enjoys the show and his character but he wouldn't be right for Bond in my opinion. He's not a bad actor by any means and I'm sure he'll have a successful career, but his performance came across as really forced to me

As a side note, I don't know if it's just me but are nearly all the candidates for Bond only Handsome or manly when they have a beard or heavy stubble? I can't see any of these actors being Bond with a beard, and I don't think any fit the either handsome or masculine alpha male role of Bond (although I'm sure my Mrs would disagree on Tom Hardy 😅)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I still think Hoult is going to be the guy to beat, though.

I tend to agree: they haven't cast someone who's had less than ten years of experience of being a leading man on screen since 1969. That's the important thing for me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The problem with pointing out patterns in previous castings though is that things can change at any moment in any way. I don't think EON plan to follow the same guidelines. It's why Craig was a surprise to a lot of people, so who knows what they could do this time that'll "alter" our expectations in the future?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The problem with pointing out patterns in previous castings though is that things can change at any moment in any way. I don't think EON plan to follow the same guidelines. It's why Craig was a surprise to a lot of people, so who knows what they could do this time that'll "alter" our expectations in the future?

It's possible that they could try and hire someone terrible who doesn't know what they're doing, but somehow I don't think it's what they'd aim for... ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

It's possible that they could try and hire someone terrible who doesn't know what they're doing, but somehow I don't think it's what they'd aim for... ;)
    Of course not, but putting their trust in someone fresh who could still do a really good job - why not? There are many examples out there of new actors who just click straight away for an audience without years and years of experience.

Of course not, but putting their trust in someone fresh who could still do a really good job - why not? There are many examples out there of new actors who just click straight away for an audience without years and years of experience.

I'm sure that there are but that's more akin to catching lightning in a bottle and surely therefore too much of a risk for studios and producers to take nowadays with Bond film budgets bigger than ever. There's too much at stake financially nowadays for risks like that to be taken. Like in all fields of employment experience is greatly respected and required.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Are there though? In massive, enormous budget movies? Even someone like Tom Holland (who had to be young for the role) had been in movies for half a decade before he made his first Spider Man movie. Considering what it involves to be Bond and how much hinges on them, I think they'd want as much reassurance as possible they have a safe pair of hands. They don't need a star, but I think they'd certainly want to make sure they have someone who really knows what they're doing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I understand both your points completely, but I still think there's a chance of these days of finding star power without too much experience. Now I don't see them going with someone with hardly anything in their filmography, but maybe someone who managed to make a huge impact in a short amount of time.

And talking of star power and knowing what they're doing, I am really excited to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Bullet Train. My fingers are crossed it could be his Layer Cake, despite it being more of an ensemble piece I believe.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Brosnan did Remington Steele and it showed he could play Bond. Craig did Layer Cake and it showed he could play Bond. So maybe we should be looking at actors who have recently done or will do something of that ilk, as the new Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    And talking of star power and knowing what they're doing, I am really excited to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Bullet Train. My fingers are crossed it could be his Layer Cake, despite it being more of an ensemble piece I believe.

I think if Taylor-Johnson was going to become a proper star, he would have done so by now. He's had ample opportunities already. He's always come up short as a leading man, I think. Most of the things I've really liked him in are supporting roles. I don't mean that as an insult, by the way - being a natural supporting actor is not the same as being a bad actor.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I think if Taylor-Johnson was going to become a proper star, he would have done so by now. He's had ample opportunities already. He's always come up short as a leading man, I think. Most of the things I've really liked him in are supporting roles. I don't mean that as an insult, by the way - being a natural supporting actor is not the same as being a bad actor.

+1
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I definitely agree (although I loved him as John Lennon in Nowhere Boy); I think I'm just hoping that it's still possible, and why not? Stranger things have happened. It's why I'm excited for Bullet Train because if he's a significant character in that film, it's the best shot he's had.

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be a choice that would divide fans I imagine.