"Attempting re-entry", Moonraker appreciation thread

Comments

Heya Dwayne. I tend not to go to the website. They usually send me an email with the latest issue and i buy it through that.
    http://www.007magazine.co.uk
  • I haven’t read the whole thread, apologies, but JB’s main theme for this is one of his absolute best imho. Understated and languid. Can’t imagine how it would have sounded if Johnny Mathis had in fact recorded it.
  • Bondage007Bondage007 Los Angeles
    muzz100 wrote: »
    I haven’t read the whole thread, apologies, but JB’s main theme for this is one of his absolute best imho. Understated and languid. Can’t imagine how it would have sounded if Johnny Mathis had in fact recorded it.

I first heard the MR theme and some other parts of the score when John Barry played them for me on his livingroom piano before the film or the soundtrack had been released! I challenge anyone on this thread to beat that for OMG coolness! TBH I still can't believe it myself all these years later. It seems like a lovely dream now. But all I have to do is look at my personally signed Goldfinger LP to reassure myself that, yes, it really did happen!
  • Bondage007Bondage007 Los Angeles
    My first Bond in a theater on initial release was 'Goldfinger' which remains my #1 favorite with CR and OHMSS interchangeably taking #2 and 3. But the one that holds the warmest place in my heart for personal reasons is MR.

Shortly before I wound up working professionally with many of the Bond team -- both onscreen and offscreen talent -- I was invited by Cubby Broccoli to see a private pre-release screening of TSWLM at MGM studios with Richard Kiel and Jane Seymour in attendance!

But that was just the warm-up to making an action film (unfortunately, not a great one) with... Maurice Binder, Michael Reed, the whole 007 stunt team, Christopher Lee and Michael Lonsdale! In fact, Michael accepted the role of Drax because of strong advice from me! (Absolutely true -- my signed screenplay of MR bears this inscription from Michael: "You told me to play the part, did not you?") Oh, and Roger Moore just happened to be making a film at the same studio in France where we were shooting & I was able to visit with him as well. (Jealous yet? 😉)

Then, following the completed production of MR, I hosted Lonsdale in Los Angeles when he flew there for the L.A. premiere screening -- which I attended as his guest, as well going to the after-party at the classic long-gone Chasen's Restaurant where Lewis Gilbert, Ken Adam, Roger & many others were also in attendance. And, as if that wasn't amazing enough, I became the tour-guide for Lonsdale, Blanche Revalec, and Corinne Clery for a whole day at Disneyland!

Now, if that isn't a lifelong Bond fan's wet dream I don't know what is! (Well, except for actually being in or working on a Bond film, of course.)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Of all the days you could have posted here, you chose this one.
    How could a movie with so much awful (triple-take pigeons, lazer-fight in space, Jaws falling in love, Bond face-planting in Goodhead's crotch, etc.) be so entertaining? I have it in my upper teens, but would be higher without so much cringe.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    There's a lot to love about Moonraker. It used to be my favourite film from the Moore era, until it recently got overtaken by For Your Eyes Only. I've always felt that Moonraker takes the elements introduced in The Spy Who Loved Me and dials them up a notch. I love that the film is unashamedly outlandish. It's completely aware of it's stupidity and it makes no apologizes. It's Moore's best performance as Bond, IMO. The centrifuge sequence and the pigeon shooting with Drax are unequivocally some of the moments of the series. I've always felt that the centrifuge sequence is Flemingesque in nature, IMO. John Barry's hauntingly beautiful score. The pretitle sequence is arguably the best in the entire series if only the basis of stuntwork alone. Michael Londsdale is devilishly villainous as Drax. Ken Adam's set design is brilliant.
    And Corine Clery's demise is something Fleming could come up with and certainly one of the best filmed and most dark demises of any character in the movie series.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    And Corine Clery's demise is something Fleming could come up with and certainly one of the best filmed and most dark demises of any character in the movie series.

I can imagine Fleming's detail of the dogs and the forest foliage and all that to make it that much more descriptive and effective. It makes me want to go back to look at that passage in Wood's novelization.

What also adds to that scene is just before we get the amusement of Bond gunning down a potential assassin with a perfect Moore smirk and line delivery, which makes it that much darker. Then there's a great segue to the chime or bell in Venice, almost like a death knell.

Given it's Moonraker, so I'm not surprised, but a missed opportunity could've been for Bond to learn from Holly about Corrine's fate, knowing he was responsible, and using that as extra motivation for revenge on Chang during his fight to the finish with him.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,595
    I once heard it described as "beautiful nonsense" and I think that's about accurate, except there was certainly a tremendous level of artful skill and effort put into that "nonsense." I've been going to bat for it for quite some time. When I was a kid I lumped it in with the bottom of the barrel, because "space is for Star Wars" and it was "too silly" but really... the Bond series has been a parody of itself since *checks notes* the 3rd film in the franchise. I think if silliness or absurdity isn't your thing you might be a fan of the wrong series.

All of that said, I do understand why some don't like it. The OTT moments (even by Bond standards) are really out there (gondola hover boat and Jaws love subplot primarily).
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    This original trailer for Moonraker was new to me. Enjoy!

• echoecho 007 in New York
    MR veers too far into silliness, particularly in the Jaws reaction shots (arm flapping, going over the waterfall). I know those are there for the kids in the audience, but it's just dumb. And of course he didn't need to speak.

To make it a much better Bond film would probably mean excising both the Venice boat chase (and did we need two boat chases?) and the cable car fight. The first lifts out of the movie seamlessly but the second presents problems because it introduces Dolly and the kidnapping of Holly.

Holly and Dolly...never realized that before.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Appreciate. Besides For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker remains my favourite Moore entry in the franchise. It's Moore's best portrayal of Bond. Hugo Drax is brilliantly played by Lonsdale. The pretitle sequence has to be one of the most impressible of the series and moments like the Centrifuge and Pigeon shooting are highlights of the series, IMO. John Barry's score is hauntingly beautiful. Sure, 'Raker isn't without it's stupidity, but it's a film that's greater then sum of it's parts and an enjoyable romp.
    I find the scene in which Jaws and Dolly reunite in the near-destroyed space station quite touching, and remarkably so considering their relationship begins as a silly gag. The two of them are seemingly alone, as far as they know they might never be rescued, and yet... "here's to us". They're just happy to be together again. It's the unexpected nature of the scene that makes it work. And the music!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,921
    I didn't mind Dolly when I watched MR this time around. The actress is good (arguably better than any other actress in this film), and she effectively sells the moment on the station when she realizes she and Jaws don't meet Drax's "standards" of physical perfection.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I love Moonraker. Every time I watch it, it just gets better and better. And it always inches up a spot on my ranking. It's just so much fun. Plus making artwork for it is just so fun. :-bd
    uvVukEKh.jpg

Never seen that picture before? Very cool!! :-bd
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I find the scene in which Jaws and Dolly reunite in the near-destroyed space station quite touching, and remarkably so considering their relationship begins as a silly gag. The two of them are seemingly alone, as far as they know they might never be rescued, and yet... "here's to us". They're just happy to be together again. It's the unexpected nature of the scene that makes it work. And the music!

Yeah I agree, that’s quite an upsetting scene for a kid to watch: you’ve got two goodies (as Jaws is at that point) sitting down and accepting their imminent deaths!
    I remember as a kid even missing the line Bond has about “don’t worry, they’ll make it”: I thought they definitely died!
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 1,009
    Watching MR right now, stopped at 20 minutes to make some personal notes:
    - The first quarter of the film is a competition between Bond and Drax - one of the funniest main villains in the series - to be the most chichi and stuck-up dude in this God-forsaken planet. I don't know if it's just me, but in this film Rog played Bond at his most pompous and downright rude in contrast to his excellent performance on TSWLM: the way he speaks to Goodhead or the way he hisses to that poor hotel clerk in Rio... And Lonsdale was the same, but using apocriphal quotes and rethorical figures, but you'd expect it from a villain in such a crazy movie, not from 007 himself.
    - I give Lois Chiles more credit than all main Bond girls in this series since Diana Rigg. I kinda like Holly Goodhead despite being just an American Anya. Problem is that she's just as boring as her Soviet colleague. But having the patience to put up with this movie's Bond... Saint, this woman is a saint.
    - Over time, the parachuting scene turns out to be more spectacular than the space battle itself: it's pure cinematic adrenaline.
    - OK, this flick is so funny ha-ha, but has some nightmarish scenes: the centrifugue, Corinne's death, or Jaws harrassing Manuela on that creepy costume. At least the centrifugue (Cheng's hilarious, puppy-like expression of utter dissapontment when Bond saves himself from certain doom) and the carnival (I just love how Jaws goes all like "well, if you can't beat 'em...").
    i
    mtm wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

Yeah I agree, that’s quite an upsetting scene for a kid to watch: you’ve got two goodies (as Jaws is at that point) sitting down and accepting their imminent deaths!
    I remember as a kid even missing the line Bond has about “don’t worry, they’ll make it”: I thought they definitely died!

Wow, you had to have been so sad, because the US guys even specifically state that they have indeed rescued Jaws and Dolly. :-bd
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Never thought of Rog as being especially rude in this one. Always found him much ruder in Spy.

Two scenes immediately come mind:
    - The remarks towards Anya in the van when they get attacked by Jaws takes every tension out of the scene: "Women drivers"
    - The smirk he has when they are lowered down to the sub is totally inappropriate given he admitted killing her boyfriend in the previous scene.

I think his relationship with Holly is much better. It starts off in the same fashion, but it evolves in such a way that Bond is ultimately impressed by her towards the end of the film.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Never thought of Rog as being especially rude in this one. Always found him much ruder in Spy.

- The remarks towards Anya in the van when they get attacked by Jaws takes every tension out of the scene: "Women drivers"
    - The smirk he has when they are lowered down to the sub is totally inappropriate given he admitted killing her boyfriend in the previous scene.

I think his relationship with Holly is much better. It starts off in the same fashion, but it evolves in such a way that Bond is ultimately impressed by her towards the end of the film.

Good points about TSWLM! I also dislike the one-upmanship scene when they are viewing the slides with M and Gogol, I find Bond a bit snarky here and i hate M comment "Well done James!" , it seems out of character with his relationship with Bond. I think a shot if M having a wry smile would have worked better!

These are very good points indeed, but, to be fair, never noticed them. Which goes to show how differently can viewers watch two films despite having basically the same basic story (I know I'm saying something obvious, but... Let's say I'm in several fanbases).

Anyway, do we agree that Rog plays a much nicer Bond from FYEO onwards? Or it's just an impression of mine?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

These are very good points indeed, but, to be fair, never noticed them. Which goes to show how differently can viewers watch two films despite having basically the same basic story (I know I'm saying something obvious, but... Let's say I'm in several fanbases).

Anyway, do we agree that Rog plays a much nicer Bond from FYEO onwards? Or it's just an impression of mine?

That is fair to say. I thought Moore s Bond was extremely unpleasant and unlikable in both LALD and TSWLM, in many scenes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861

That is fair to say. I thought Moore s Bond was extremely unpleasant and unlikable in both LALD and TSWLM, in many scenes.

Guy Hamilton's version of Bond is noticeably more unpleasant. He's quite a prick in TMWTGG generally, and I think if anyone but Roger had played him the audience might not have even liked him! :)
    There are three subtly different Roger Bonds really, depending on who is directing the film, and they sort of sequentially go up the scale of cuddliness; with Glen's RogerBond being the nicest.

Lewis Gilbert's balance of making him an endearing bastard is probably my favourite of the three though :)

Guy Hamilton's version of Bond is noticeably more unpleasant. He's quite a prick in TMWTGG generally, and I think if anyone but Roger had played him the audience might not have even liked him! :)
    There are three subtly different Roger Bonds really, depending on who is directing the film, and they sort of sequentially go up the scale of cuddliness; with Glen's RogerBond being the nicest.

Lewis Gilbert's balance of making him an endearing bastard is probably my favourite of the three though :)

Oh, yes: I just said that Moore's Bond is uncouth on Gilbert's movies. On Hamilton's ones he's an utter bastard: we can even notice how unconfortable Rog looks while hitting Maud on TMWTGG, like saying to himself, "gee, Roger it's just make believe, but still...". It was when Sean's shadow still loomed high over his friend Rog and the filmmakers tried too hard to put Connery traits on Moore's 007.

I think you're right. He's a lot more likeable in his later outings. Given that it's Rog, the most unbelievable yet also the most likeable of Bonds, I think I prefer him that way.

Hamilton's Bond films do indeed tend to portray a bit of a ruder Bond persona. It sits weird with Moore, but it was no different for his Connery outings. For me, Connery's 007 is less likeable in GF/DAF than in DN/FRWL/TB. Might indeed be the director's take on the character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861

Hamilton's Bond films do indeed tend to portray a bit of a ruder Bond persona. It sits weird with Moore, but it was no different for his Connery outings. For me, Connery's 007 is less likeable in GF/DAF than in DN/FRWL/TB. Might indeed be the director's take on the character.

I guess yes and no: I think he's a real dick to pretty much everyone in Dr No, really sullen and rude; as well as being a bit rubbish (he gets Quarrel killed) and a bit of a psycho (he kills that guard in the river for no reason whatsoever). I recently watched DN again and I was a bit surprised that the character was such a hit because I thought he's pretty unlikable in it: I think Connery's sexiness and sophistication is what people were responding to. The improvement to the characterisation of Bond is one of FRWL's real highlights I think.
    I've not really considered him being different in, say GF to TB. I'll have to have a ponder on that. I think it's maybe not as stark a difference that we get between TMWTGG and TSWLM.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 1,009
    On with MR...
    - Bond’s mini-camera makes me want to say "Three more clicks and Mr. Drax will hit the canvas". Even the 007 font looks like the one on Goldfinger's bomb counter.
    - I never noticed the man playing the first three notes of Also Sprach Zarathustra on the hunting horn. Now I want me some Eumir Deodato.
    - The Bondola. Yes, another masterpiece from John Glen: such a funny scene, full of throwaway gags. I even love the double-take pigeon. In my case the thing that rubs me the wrong way is the absolutely faked expression of surprise on that sailor on St. Mark's Square. It's so exxagerated even given the circumstances... :-O
    - Drax ridiculing Bond, M and Sir Freddie in their gas masks is one of these little awesome Bond moments that make every single film of this series worthy (I'm counting the two unofficial flicks here, too). The facial expressions of Moore, Lee, Gray and Lonsdale really sell it.
    - Ahhhh, poor Manuela. The protagonist of the very only Bond scene that makes me crap my pants. That said, she tries to put a brave face: I would be running away and to hell with the mission. Heroes are for tombstones, baby!
    Holly's gasp is the worst in the series.
    I like Holly. She's one of Rog's best co-stars. Speaking of Bond girls, I consider Manuela to be one of my favourite secondary Bond girls. Always had a soft spot for her.