Favourite Bond Moments - Round 26: NTTD- Part 2: Ranking

Comments

The PTS? Think its one of the weakest myself!
    The opening briefing scene is terrific though ("Insomnia, Sir?"... "Instructions!")
    Great theme tune and title sequence!, Bonds arrival at the airport, great trio of villains in Kananga TeeHee and Baron Samedi, the seduction of Solitaire, I really enjoy the bus escape and the boat chase of course, the Crocodile hop!!, Sheriff J. Dubya Peppa 😆 and Teehee turning up for a final showdown and that marvellous, surprising final shot of Baron Samedi on the train! Lots of good stuff here!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'd like to suggest the M scene from this film. It might even be my favourite M scene of the whole series.

Just love that coffee machine and how M reacts to it: "Is that all it does?"
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I'd like to suggest the M scene from this film. It might even be my favourite M scene of the whole series.

Just got in there before you GoldenGun. Agreed one of the best briefing scenes, though it always irks me how sloppy Bond is when pouring!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited March 2021 Posts: 2,002
    1. Kananga reveals himself to Bond and gives Solitaire 50/50 chance.
    2. Crocodile farm escape.
    3. Baron Samedi’s final appearance (best end credits in the series).
    4. Snake vs. Bond’s after-shave.
    5. The scarecrows (really scared me as a kid, especially with the music accompanying Rosie’s terrified reaction).
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Just got in there before you GoldenGun. Agreed one of the best briefing scenes, though it always irks me how sloppy Bond is when pouring!

Maybe he had a rough night ;)
    A moment I love is when Dawes bites the dust and the people around him don't react at all. There is a surreal tone to the PTS that I like.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,378
    Unexpected but nonetheless very good choice for your number one @R1s1ngs0n. The 50/50 chance with the number on the watch is a strong and one of the darker scenes in the Moore films. Same goes for the end of the scene where Kananga is screaming combined with Baron Samedi's mean laughter and the burning card.
    I have to consider it for my list, too.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    PTS
    Car Chase
    Bus chase
    Turning table
    Mask off.
    Meeting C.I.A guy
    M, Moneypenny and the girl.
    Meeting Quirel jr.
    Crocodile farm (jump, fire)

Music of George Martin, shame he never did a second. But it give John Barry more time for next movie. There are lucky that TMWTGG plan before there deside to make LALD. 2 movies in 3 years whyle it take 3 years to make TSWLM (and DAD).
    LALD also contains one of my favourite lines, from
    Felix talking to Bond
    "You should have seen the guy that was with her, big top hat, the girl in one hand and a cockamamie flute in the other!"
    Sid James couldnt have put it better!
    I used to love LALD as a kid. During recent years though, it has plumited in my rankings, and I now consider it as one of the weakest Bond films. This might seem harsh, but I honestly struggle to name five scenes I genuinly think are good.

I suppose the stand out scene is the one where Kananga is threatening and testing Solitaire's abilities with a 50/50 chance. The crocodile stunt is also great. Apartheid from that there are a selection of moments that are ok but nothing particularly memorable. I will need time to consider which to include in the top five...
    Am I the only one who thinks that the boat chase is one of the most entertaining scenes of the franchise and therefore also one of the best scenes of all Bond films? I understand that some say it's too long and Pepper isn't everyone's definition of great humour. However, for me, everything is perfect. Of course, there isn't a high tension but it entertains me immensly. Moments like the one where the boats drive through the wedding (cake) are priceless.
    Am I the only one who thinks that the boat chase is one of the most entertaining scenes of the franchise and therefore also one of the best scenes of all Bond films? I understand that some say it's too long and Pepper isn't everyone's definition of great humour. However, for me, everything is perfect. Of course, there isn't a high tension but it entertains me immensly. Moments like the one where the boats drive through the wedding (cake) are priceless.

Its a great sequence no doubt, but its got a stop start element about it! Love the aerial shot part of it though! And Pepper is a hoot!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like the guy in the jalopy who Pepper insults, then he shows up later when the cop cars are piling up.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I like the guy in the jalopy who Pepper insults, then he shows up later when the cop cars are piling up.
    Haha, yes and then he uses his strange car horn. I always have a big smile there.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Haha, yes and then he uses his strange car horn. I always have a big smile there.
    I love the guy's facial expression while driving. He looks concentrated and slightly anxious. Also, the last time we see him, he does this tiny gesture where he briefly turns his head to the side, as if thinking "okay, we're doing fine so far" (with the vehicle). Or maybe he's thinking about the crashed cop cars.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Always thought that gesture was directed at the redneck Sheriff and his boys, who apparently had drivers licences.

LALD is next up in my Bondathon. I'll keep my top 5 in mind.
    Nice profile picture @mattjoes ;)
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 6,844
    The boat chase is a definite highlight, for the music, the stunts, the comedy. Terrific sequence all around. In fact, the film is pretty much on full-throttle from Bond's interrogation by Big onward. You've got the crocodile farm escape in there too, and then the whole climax on the island—rescuing Solitaire, dueling Baron Samedi, grappling with Kananga beside (and in!) the shark pool—before that last battle with Tee Hee aboard the train. For a Bond not often recognized for his fight choreography skills, Moore sure got a workout in his first outing.

Another part I like is the earlier and smaller action sequence when Bond and Solitaire are tracked down in the poppy field by the helicopter and flee in the double decker bus. There's some good stuntwork with the motorcycles in there, and I like the quirky little exchange between Solitaire and Baron Samedi in the cemetery beforehand. Any part with Leiter works too (especially the bit where he's trying to calm down Mr. Bleeker as Bond's picking out ties), and the whole opening with Bond hiding Miss Caruso from M in his apartment in the wee hours of the morning is great comedy.

Finally, the first meeting between Bond and Solitaire with that swanky and sparkling music from George Martin ranks up there among the best first encounters between Bond and leading lady.
    Nice profile picture @mattjoes ;)
    Thank you! Have a free oyster.
    M's visit at home (with lovely Miss Caruso), the tricks in the Fillet of Soul(s) leading to two good confrontations with Mr Big/Kananga, especially the 50/50 chance, and all action scenes and wild animals are all scenes I love.
    The combination of the villains, the stunts, the dangerous animals and the humour create a very entertaining movie. LALD could almost be in my top five with a better PTS and an improved Rosie.

Can you rank your five favourite moments of LALD?

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 22: LALD - Part 2: Ranking

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not many good moments in this one. Picking five will be hard.

1 Alligator jump
    2 Car chase in New York
    3 Bond and Strutter enter Harlem
    4 Bond comes to the rescue at the voodoo ceremony
    5 Whose funeral is it?
    1. M's visit
    2. Train fight & Baron Samedi giggle
    3. San Monique check-in
    4. Croc jump
    5. Boat chase
    Lots of good stuff in LALD.
    1. Opening briefing scene!
    2. Crocodile farm, whole sequence!
    3. Bond tricks/seduces Solitaire
    4. Boat chase
    5. TeeHee returns for final showdown
    1. Car Chase
    2. Bus Chase
    3. Boat Chase
    4. PTS
    5. Crocodile farm
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Loved LALD as a kid, it had a very different feel to the other Bond's I'd seen - the voodoo, Baron Samedi, the disappearing body in the casket, skeletons and Tarot cards, the scarecrows, a man with a claw for a hand, the flaming skulls of the title sequence and the bad man with a rubber face that he pulls off ... this was a much scarier film, with exciting music, exciting chases and action and Roger Moore my favourite Bond in the role ... this was about as exciting as Bond got for little old me watching on ITV.

I seem to remember this film being shown quite a bit during my school days, and I have fond memories of being at school the next day sat next to a friend of mine who also loved watching James Bond, and we would spend the whole geography lesson quoting all the memorable lines from the previous night's film ... and LALD has more quotable dialogue than any other, thanks mainly to JW ... virtually anything that comes out of his mouth gets turned into a giggle in class the next day. The vast majority of which would now be considered politically incorrect to say the least!

It's not Shakespeare and it's not Fleming, but it sure is a heck of a lot of fun in my book. I've never grown tired of watching it over the years!

1. The boat chase, it's a giggle and a blast from start to finish. Fun fun fun!
    2. Bond gives Mrs Bell a flying lesson
    3. Crocodile farm, especially Bond sweating it out trying to work out how he will get off the island, and the actual toe-snapping conclusion
    4. Tee-Hee on the train
    5. Bus escape
  • 1. Climax: rescuing Solitaire, dueling Baron Samedi, and showdown with Kananga in the underground cave
    2. Boat chase
    3. Crocodile farm
    4. Bond meets Solitaire
    5. Bond and Solitaire pass Baron Samedi in cemetery and evade helicopter in poppy field

Other highlights: hiding Miss Caruso while serving M a difficult cup of coffee, "lengthwise if you don't mind" and assorted other Mankiewiczisms, all Filet of Soul scenes, Leiter on the phone to Mr. Bleeker while Bond picks ties, and Kananga quizzing Solitaire on Bond's watch
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,415
    Rip Yaphet Kotto

M_Balje wrote: »
    Rip Yaphet Kotto

Thanking you for sharing this. Had images of the film and actors running through my head. =D> :-bd
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,378
    Sad news, didn't know about his death. I liked his performance in LALD but haven't seen any other films with him.

Your list would also works for me @Max_The_Parrot. That's good taste

;)

All your “other highlights“ @Some_Kind_Of_Hero are great moments I'm always looking forward to. I.e. the moment with Mr. Bleeker is very funny.
    1. Boat chase
    2. Crocodile farm
    3. Kananga reveals himself to Bond and gives Solitaire a 50/50 chance
    4. Final fight with Tee-Hee
    5. Hiding Miss Caruso