Folio Society - Ian Fleming Special Editions

Comments

You only buy twice, or so it seems...

159037933_10226056890027486_7807220170244122999_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=5E9uxrY7iBEAX-f5fkx&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=83d7f8599a04e5c3e0a799e6928a9ea4&oe=606EACBE

159217738_10226056890547499_3909607243386194400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=HeNvbXLJOGIAX8EHn17&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=4d91bb01603cea44cec66a19840d0647&oe=606DA920[img][/img]
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Kissy Suzuki!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    =bg= wrote: »
    Kissy Suzuki!

Wasn't she naked in this scene?
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 2,887
    Wasn't she naked in this scene?

Kissy usually dove naked, but she dressed up when Bond visited:
    Kissy came out of the house. She was wearing a kind of white cotton night-dress and a white cotton kerchief bound up the thick black waves of her hair. She wore her equipment, the weights and the heavy flat angular pick, over the white dress; only her arms and feet were bare. Bond may have shown his disappointment. She laughed, teasing him. "This is ceremonial dress for diving in the presence of important strangers. The kannushi-san instructed me to wear it in your company. As a mark of respect, of course."

"Kissy, I believe that is a fib. The truth of the matter is that you consider that your nakedness might arouse dishonourable thoughts in my impious Western mind. That is a most unworthy suspicion. However, I accept the delicacy of your respect for my susceptibilities. And now, let's cut the cackle and get going. We'll beat the awabi record today. What should we aim at?"

(Excerpt from chapter 14)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    That's a lovely pic of Bond. Usually in the Folio illustrations, you don't see his face (so you can project your own Bond onto him?).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Lovely I love it.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Very nice. It's been years since I read it, so I might be wrong, but I imagine the castle being more inland, among mountains even?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks @Revelator for this abstract from the novel. I didn't remember this part. Somehow, the fact that she is naked in some parts of the book sticked stronger in my mind...
    QsCat wrote: »
    Very nice. It's been years since I read it, so I might be wrong, but I imagine the castle being more inland, among mountains even?

The castle is definitely built next to the water. Bond begins to climb the castle's wall directly from the water. I love this part of the book.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Love that cover art.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2021 Posts: 17,727

Yes, in the YOLT novel Blofeld's Castle of Death was built near the sea. You may recall that when the production team for the film version of YOLT went on a recce of locations by helicopter in Japan in 1966 they couldn't find any castles built near the sea. This was because the Japanese never built castles close to the sea due to the tsunami risk. From there the creative team decided to look for somewhere else and decided upon a hollowed-out volcano as Blofeld's base of operations instead.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, in the YOLT novel Blofeld's Castle of Death was built near the sea. You may recall that when the production team for the film version of YOLT went on a recce of locations by helicopter in Japan in 1966 they couldn't find any castles built near the sea. This was because the Japanese never built castles close to the sea due to the tsunami risk. From there the creative team decided to look for somewhere else and decided upon a hollowed-out volcano as Blofeld's base of operations instead.

Yeh, I've probably allowed my knowledge if that to interfere with my memory
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yeh, I've probably allowed my knowledge if that to interfere with my memory

With Bond that's very easy given the indelible image of the hugely successful films. It's very easy to get the film and the novel mixed up, even on small points of difference. I think it happens to us all to be honest. It's all part of the complexity of this fascinating subject of Bondology.
  • Looks lovely. Think I might Dr. No through YOLT today since they have a $30 off deal currently.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Unboxing:

• edited March 2021 Posts: 2,887
    A couple more images, taken from Artistic Licence Renewed's post:

jb2_s_12.jpg?w=700&h=443

002_jb2_rose-garden.jpg

If I was a billionaire I would commission Fay Dalton to produce graphic novels (not just illustrated editions) of every Fleming.
    Revelator wrote: »
    A couple more images, taken from Artistic Licence Renewed's post:

jb2_s_12.jpg?w=700&h=443

002_jb2_rose-garden.jpg

If I was a billionaire I would commission Fay Dalton to produce graphic novels (not just illustrated editions) of every Fleming.

Those are beautiful images. Thanks for sharing, @Revelator. The bottom one is the introspective part in the novel where he thinks about the bees. That's beautifully realised there. I really love that part. I also echo your sentiments about getting Fay Dalton to produce graphic novels of every Fleming book. That would be great.
    The Sad Bond In The Park illustration has actually broken my heart.
  • Agent_99 wrote: »

Imagine if the film version of Diamonds are Forever had started like that with George Lazenby.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    These are beautiful.
    The Pussy has taken delivery. It is a thing of great beauty albeit the lack of ribbon marker is irksome. Particularly at these prices.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Imagine if the film version of Diamonds are Forever had started like that with George Lazenby.

I wish.
  • Just got the second batch of books so now I have the whole folio collection. Which book has the best illustrations in your opinion? After leafing through it I think Dr. No might be the best in this regard. It looks like it covers pretty much everything I would want to see illustrated from it from the villain and girl to the big action scenes and lovely locations (compared to say You Only Live Twice which doesn’t have any illustrations of the garden of death or Blofeld in his samurai armor that I’ve heard about but would have liked to see Dalton’s take on!). Very excited for the short story collections in particular since those will offer a broad range of material to illustrate.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    002_jb2_rose-garden.jpg

Or Dalton. In any Bond film.
    002_jb2_rose-garden.jpg

Or Dalton. In any Bond film.

Oh, I do, constantly.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Just got YOLT and I love the illustrations that are there but I need to be critical here… no Garden of Death, no Blofeld and really not much a sense of Japan scenery wise more by character only… that seems like a real misfire to me and I know they talk in advance about moments that should be painted
    Is there no garden of death painting? - such a shame.

YOLT is I think the most thought-provoking book in the series. I was so looking forward to the garden of death.

I wish.

You know, with de-aging and a proper build stuntman, they could bring George Lazenby back to pick up where he left off ! As anyone who has read my postings before would know, I, for one, would be quite entertained by varying Bond productions all coming out. Young Bond in period. "Regular" Bond films set in the present day. George Lazenby in a de-aged production set in 1969 and go from there, with a CGI Telly Savalas Blofeld and a CGI Irma Bunt. (Come on -- actors who passed and now know all the mysteries appeared in Star Wars. It could only work better now, assuming some progress.) Miss Moneypenny stories -- sorry, but no, I've not read the books yet and have but two of the three. Post-Fleming books by all the various authors made into films, and feel free to improve upon the stories. I see Young Bond as a set of streaming long-form TV productions, and the same for some, if not all, the post-Fleming authors' books and the Miss Moneypenny books. Does Per Fine Ounce exist anywhere ? We could have Idris Elba, Michael Fassbender and others all play the part. We could have some of the quite-young actors play the part in the latter-and-more-grown Young Bond stories, particularly if more will be written, taking Bond from teen years into WWII and onward.
  • DoctorNo wrote: »
    Just got YOLT and I love the illustrations that are there but I need to be critical here… no Garden of Death, no Blofeld and really not much a sense of Japan scenery wise more by character only… that seems like a real misfire to me and I know they talk in advance about moments that should be painted
    Yes, from all I’ve heard of YOLT (I still haven’t read it yet) I was disappointed to flip through the illustrations and not see any of the bizarre, macabre scenes I was looking forward to. What’s there is obviously beautiful, but it does seem to be a missed opportunity.