1. PTS
    2. Necros' one man army assault on safehouse
    3. Plane fight
    4. Bond confronts Pushkin
    5. Saunders' death
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Give me either of the Dalton films and I just can't stop talking, or writing in this case.

Try and keep up, folks ;)

- PTS
    - Koskov Escapes
    - the Ghetto Blaster!
    - Koskov explains Smiert Spionom while pointing with his shoe (!)
    - Necros Attacks!
    - Following Kara/Rifle discovery
    - Chase to the border
    - Into Vienna
    - Pushkin visits Whitaker
    - Night at the Opera
    - "Saunders, thanks."
    - Stalking Pushkin
    - Pushkin Interrogation
    - Fake assassination/Roof escape
    - Tricked by Kara
    - "Duty Has No Sweethearts"
    - Jailbreak
    - Meet Kamran Shah and his laughing friends
    - "Beautiful in Afghan"
    - Desert sunrise
    - Soviet airfield attack/Hercules escape
    - Bond v Necros
    - "I know a great restaurant in Karachi"
    - Meeting his Waterloo
    - John Barry cameo/End scene
    - "If There Was a Man" by The Pretenders

Yep, thats pretty much it!
    Or simply. THE WHOLE MOVIE!!

Exactly ;)

The only aspect that's not top-class for me is the title sequence, even though I don't consider it a bad effort either and I like the title song too.

I actually like the title sequence, not vintage Binder, but its still got some cool touches!
    Was never a fan of A-ha, but i do like the song, Barrys involvement helps, but apparently they were his least favourite musicians to work with!
    Going to be difficult to make a top 5 list for TLD!
    Said it before, but its the little moments Dalton gives that make him so special, exhaling smoke in disbelief at Koskovs story to M and the wonderful look he gives Koskov as he leaves, plus wincing at a inferior cup of coffee when he meets Saunders at the fairground cafe!
    And lets not forget that stunning first shot of Bond as he turns to camera in the pts!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I enjoy the first half but once it reaches Afghanistan it kinda loses it for me.

I feel exactly the same. Pretty much love everything until Bond and Kara escape from jail, and then it loses something in atmosphere and pace for me. But that doesn't take away the fact that it's one of my favourite Bonds. A film I pretty much feel like watching at any time.

In particular I love the night time scenes - Koskov's fake defection, with Bond and Saunders quipping it out, Bond sparing Kara's life and the extraction of Koskov in the pipeline pig. 'Must have scared the living daylights out of her' with that faint knowing smirk on Dalton's face. Also the Vienna fair setting, with Necros stalking in the background, Saunders' really quite grisly death, and Dalton's squeezing of the balloon followed by the frantic pursuit of Necros ... oops, it's a kid with a balloon! Superb!

Of course so many other fabulous scenes that have already been highlighted, the PTS on Gibralter with the initial 'which one is Bond' guessing game, the safehouse section (ooh looks, there's Max the Parrot!!).

Naturally being a Roger fan I particularly enjoy the surprisingly gadget-heavy car chase (very left over Sir Rog style I feel, with Dalton cracking a few witticisms which I think he delivers pretty well in his own 'I don't really want to tell a joke but it's in the script so I must' way) and the cello chase. Always brings a smile to my face.

Must say I especially love the soundtrack throughout the film, one of my favourite Barry's from the franchise. The 'Where has everybody gone' variations always get my blood pumping, and I seem to be in the minority in actually really liking the title song (although, I always was a bit of an a-ha fan).

Despite my waning enthusiasm in the last third, I still think of this as a cracker of a Bond movie.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2021 Posts: 6,760
    Give me either of the Dalton films and I just can't stop talking, or writing in this case.

Try and keep up, folks ;)

- PTS
    - Koskov Escapes
    - the Ghetto Blaster!
    - Koskov explains Smiert Spionom while pointing with his shoe (!)
    - Necros Attacks!
    - Following Kara/Rifle discovery
    - Chase to the border
    - Into Vienna
    - Pushkin visits Whitaker
    - Night at the Opera
    - "Saunders, thanks."
    - Stalking Pushkin
    - Pushkin Interrogation
    - Fake assassination/Roof escape
    - Tricked by Kara
    - "Duty Has No Sweethearts"
    - Jailbreak
    - Meet Kamran Shah and his laughing friends
    - "Beautiful in Afghan"
    - Desert sunrise
    - Soviet airfield attack/Hercules escape
    - Bond v Necros
    - "I know a great restaurant in Karachi"
    - Meeting his Waterloo
    - John Barry cameo/End scene
    - "If There Was a Man" by The Pretenders

Yep, thats pretty much it!
    Or simply. THE WHOLE MOVIE!!

Exactly ;)

The only aspect that's not top-class for me is the title sequence, even though I don't consider it a bad effort either and I like the title song too.

I actually like the title sequence, not vintage Binder, but its still got some cool touches!
    Was never a fan of A-ha, but i do like the song, Barrys involvement helps, but apparently they were his least favourite musicians to work with!
    Going to be difficult to make a top 5 list for TLD!
    Said it before, but its the little moments Dalton gives that make him so special, exhaling smoke in disbelief at Koskovs story to M and the wonderful look he gives Koskov as he leaves, plus wincing at a inferior cup of coffee when he meets Saunders at the fairground cafe!
    And lets not forget that stunning first shot of Bond as he turns to camera in the pts!

You're absolutely right. You could almost read his thoughts when he does these things even though they're not expressed in dialogue. Subtle acting on Dalton's part there. Another great example is after LTK's climax when he sits on that rock.

I like the title sequence too. Just think there are better ones. But I do like it.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited March 2021 Posts: 1,006
    - PTS
    - Bond Saunders opera/sniper
    - Bond and Kara escape, car chase
    - Vienna horse/opera
    - Pushkin’s hotel room/death/rooftop chase
    - Teaming up with Mujahideen (am I the only one? Very cinematic)
    - Plane fight

I could go on! TLD is top tier for me. I don’t get the criticism of the “slow” third act. The villain isn’t spectacular, but a strong villain does not a great film make (ie. TMWTGG)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,378
    Great to see so much love for TLD. I would also say that the movie from start to the jail fight is better than the rest that follows but also the desert part is far from disappointing.
    @Max_The_Parrot nailed it the best for me. I can confirm everything the bird said.
    The snow and ice action is probably my favourite scene (out of many highlights). Extremely entertaining. The Pushkin interrogation will also be part of my top 5. Dalton is the perfect Bond for this scene.

Necros is part of many very strong scenes: the kitchen fight is cool and unexpected (Bond isn't unvolved!), the cargo net fight is outstanding. And the murder of Saunders is one of the best “bye bye ally“ scenes of the franchise. The moment you (and Bond)really begin to like this guy, he is eliminated in a very mean and creative way).

The score is definitely very good. Even the “normal“ jail fight is transformed in something that feels epic thanks to Barry.

TLD is an awesome action movie and I'm looking forward to watch it tonight :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    1. PTS: "Hold on, you're dead!"
    2. sniper scene: "Sniper. Two floors up, centre window."
    3. Green Four vs Necros: "We have gas leaks in main building."
    4. Vantage/Lada chase: "I've had a few optional extras installed."
    5. Bond confronts Pushkin: "Then I must die."

Honourable mentions: The rest.
    I watched this splendid film an hour ago.
    I didn't mention here before that I have a weak spot for Moneypenny. It's a pity that she didn't get more screentime in LTK and that she couldn't do more films.

After this watch I have to say that this is one of the very best Bond scores. The melodies from songs of A-ha and The Pretenders are used in a perfect way.

And does the love story between Bond and Kara work for me? The “arse of a horse“ scene is one of the best love scenes of the series.
    Very good list @QBranch. Time for more rankings:

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 21: TLD - Part 2: Ranking
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Very good list @QBranch.
    "It was exquisite."
  • Favourite Bond Moments - Round 21: TLD - Part 2: Ranking
    1. Bond meets Sanders at the Opera, followed by the sniper scene.
    2. The Aston Martin car chase.
    3. Bond confronts Pushkin.
    4. Necros's assault and fight against Green Four.
    5. Horse ride with Kamran Shah in the desert.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 Sniper scene
    2 PTS
    3 Plane fight
    4 Necros vs Green 4
    5 Bond "kills" Pushkin

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. Pts
    2.The ''Death'' of Pushkin
    3. Meeting Kamran Shah
    4. Car chase on Ice
    5. Magic with a phone booth
    God, really tough this, one great scene after another!
    1. PTS, stunning shot of Dalton, and THE best pts of the entire series.
    2. Opening defection. Straight from Flemings short story!
    3. Confronting Pushkin in hotel room!
    4. Death of Saunders
    5. Cargo net fight. Thrilling set piece!
    I had to leave out scenes with Kara, but they would have been next!!
    1. Koskov's Escape - probably my favourite scene in the series
    2. Pushkin Interrogation
    3. Saunders' death
    4. PTS
    5. Whitaker's Waterloo
    @M_Balje and @Thunderfinger
    Do you mean the scene where Bond and Pushkin fake the latter's death or the interrogation in the hotel room?
    @M_Balje and @Thunderfinger
    Do you mean the scene where Bond and Pushkin fake the latter's death or the interrogation in the hotel room?

When he shoots him.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,416
    When he shoots him and we see pushkin is stil a life with his wife

• 1. Opening defection and sniping
    2. PTS
    3. Necros’ infiltration (and explosive, calcium rich, exfiltration)
    4. Cargo plane fight
    5. Saunders dies at the fair

Honorable mention to the Aston snow chase. So many good moments in this one.
  • Dalton's debut put the Fleming front and center with one of the best adapted scenes in the series: the aborted sniping of Trigger. The suspense mounts wonderfully thanks to Barry's "The Sniper Was a Woman" and the animosity between Bond and Saunders (a tension that would pay off with great pathos later when Saunders finally softens up and comes to Bond's aid). But beyond the adapted Fleming, The Living Daylights succeeded in combining new material that had the Fleming feel (the Vienna fair, all the business with Pushkin) with the escapist adventure of movie Bond (the opening jeep fight, the cello escape, the cargo net fight).

1. The sniper was a woman
    2. Bond confronts Pushkin
    3. The PTS
    4. Death of Saunders
    5. Green Four fight and assault on Blayden

Other highlights: ice chase and cello escape, Bond and Kara enjoying the fair, "assassination" of Pushkin and Bond's rooftop escape, Kara drugging Bond, the cargo net fight, and the showdown with Whitaker
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    1 Car chase with Dalton's dry quips and gadgets galore
    2 Vienna fair, esp Saunder's death and Dalton chasing the balloons
    3 Necros infiltrates safe house, Max watches a rollicking good fight!
    4 PTS minus meeting Linda which I’m not keen on at all
    5 Koskov's defection, esp Saunders and Bond verbal sparring and 'must have scared the living daylights out of her'
    Dalton's debut put the Fleming front and center with one of the best adapted scenes in the series: the aborted sniping of Trigger. The suspense mounts wonderfully thanks to Barry's "The Sniper Was a Woman" and the animosity between Bond and Saunders (a tension that would pay off with great pathos later when Saunders finally softens up and comes to Bond's aid). But beyond the adapted Fleming, The Living Daylights succeeded in combining new material that had the Fleming feel (the Vienna fair, all the business with Pushkin) with the escapist adventure of movie Bond (the opening jeep fight, the cello escape, the cargo net fight).

3. The PTS
    4. Death of Saunders

Other highlights: ice chase and cello escape, Bond and Kara enjoying the fair, "assassination" of Pushkin and Bond's rooftop escape, Kara drugging Bond, the cargo net fight, and the showdown with Whitaker

Glad to see someone else likes that final showdown with Whitaker!
    I love that shootout!
    Me too. Great ending too, with Koskov being sent to Moscow in a diplomatic bag :))
    Dalton's debut put the Fleming front and center with one of the best adapted scenes in the series: the aborted sniping of Trigger. The suspense mounts wonderfully thanks to Barry's "The Sniper Was a Woman" and the animosity between Bond and Saunders (a tension that would pay off with great pathos later when Saunders finally softens up and comes to Bond's aid). But beyond the adapted Fleming, The Living Daylights succeeded in combining new material that had the Fleming feel (the Vienna fair, all the business with Pushkin) with the escapist adventure of movie Bond (the opening jeep fight, the cello escape, the cargo net fight).

3. The PTS
    4. Death of Saunders

Glad to see someone else likes that final showdown with Whitaker!
    I love that shootout!

So do I . Now I am thinking that it should have made my list. Hm, tough choice.
    The showdown with Whitaker is good. (Apart from the fact that Bond shoots almost all his bullets on the bullet-proof shield, what's wrong with shooting other body parts?) I love the moment when Whitaker activates the cannon. It looks like Whitaker is very happy that he can use some weapons and tricks for real.
    1. Bond confronts Pushkin
    2. The whole car and cello action from salt corrosion to crossing the border
    3. PTS
    4. Deadly milkman
    5. Love scene where Bond is called a horse's arse.

So much more should be added! The cargo net fight, the defection, Saunder's death, the moment where Bond explains to M that he had to change the brand of the champagne and the rest of the film...
    I decided to rank this film even higher after my watch last weekend. It is now in my top five.
    This makes one really appreciate what an outstanding film TLD really is! So many incredible scenes and segments.

1. Bond confronts Pushkin
    2. PTS
    3. Cargo plane fight
    4. Sniper scene
    5. Car chase and snow action
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,378
    We have much more votes than last week. Thanks to all the voters.
    The two favoured moments are only separated by a single point!
    A last vote could change the results.
    Here are the results for the favourite TLD moments:

1. PTS (42 points)
    2. Defection/sniper scene (41 points)
    3. Bond confronts Pushkin (30 points)
    4. Snow and ice action with Aston and cello (22 points)
    5. Necros' assault on safehouse (20 points)

We have only three EON movies left!

It's time for the last Moore round. With a lot of crocodiles, boats, grinning thugs and "the lovers" cards...

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 22: LALD - Part 1: Suggestions and discussion

• Some that immediately come to mind:
    -the PTS
    -crocodile hop
    -boat chase
    -Bond “kills” Baron Samedi
    -Train fight with Tee Hee