Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes it's hard to see much point in Ponsonby: Bond meeting two secretaries and flirting with them in similar offices in the same building might get a bit repetitive.

True. The one thing I could see would be that they move film Moneypenny closer to comics Moneypenny where she is more a bodyguard disguised as an assistant than actual assistant/secretary. Which is not that far off the Naomi Harris version anyway. And even then you still have two women Bond flirts with at headquarters, so nothing gained.

This also brings us back to the question of more home/office life in the films. Ponsonby kind of only makes sense if you get scene(s) in Bond's own office. In the books those are often used for exposition dumps where Bond reads some background memo or personell file on something or somebody that will be relevant in the adventure to come. In the films, you have to re-purpose that into conversations and briefings, which in turn happen either in M's office or conference rooms, which are Moneypenny's domain or in section Q or in transit/on location...

I still cling on to the idea that the 00-section could be fleshed out more (we'll see what NTTD brings to the table) and the shared office of the 00s with Leolia in the front room could be a way to get there.

But in the end, Moneypenny is so iconic and the characters indeed quite similar, it would probably be too confusing.
  • I follow Rian Johnson on Twitter and lately he’s been making and liking a number of Bond related tweets. I’m assuming it’s just because he’s a fan, but he does have a good relationship with Craig as well. I wonder if he might be considered as a potential director for Bond 26 down the road?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I follow Rian Johnson on Twitter and lately he’s been making and liking a number of Bond related tweets. I’m assuming it’s just because he’s a fan, but he does have a good relationship with Craig as well. I wonder if he might be considered as a potential director for Bond 26 down the road?

I don't know where I stand on him: on one hand I'm one of those who think he did a pretty terrible job with Star Wars and made it very dreary and turgid; but on the other hand I love Knives Out which he made fantastically, and with a light touch.
    So if he made a Bond film would that be good news? I don't know! :D
  • mtm wrote: »
    I follow Rian Johnson on Twitter and lately he’s been making and liking a number of Bond related tweets. I’m assuming it’s just because he’s a fan, but he does have a good relationship with Craig as well. I wonder if he might be considered as a potential director for Bond 26 down the road?

I don't know where I stand on him: on one hand I'm one of those who think he did a pretty terrible job with Star Wars and made it very dreary and turgid; but on the other hand I love Knives Out which he made fantastically, and with a light touch.
    So if he made a Bond film would that be good news? I don't know! :D

I’m generally pretty favorable on him but he’s not a director who immediately jumps to mind for Bond, but maybe that could lead to something interesting? He could be good fit for a smaller scale Bond centered around intrigue and with a good dose of humor. It sounds like he’s been (re)reading the Bond books recently so maybe something that sticks closer to the source.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 1,351
    He would certainly do something memorable. Whether that memory is a positive one or not would remain to be seen, but I don't think he could do a "Bond by the numbers". I would welcome him, I think he is a great Story-Teller.

Is there any indication what his Bond tastes are? I remember seeing something he posted about how people who haven't read the novels don't understand how much they are about food, which is true and something that I think would make a nice Easter egg.

As an aside: Wha would it take for Dalton, Brosnan or Craig to do an in-character travel/food programme about the locations they visited in their respective films. If Apple or Netflix buy MGM, I want that as the first side project.
    Or all three of them a la The Trip.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I doubt Craig would do it, but I'd love to see the Dalton-Brosnan duo visiting Gibraltar, Puerto Rico, etc.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 4,400
    I was thinking about this earlier this week. The Bond franchise tends to follow trends. You can see this in the Craig-era (most noticeably in how the Bourne and Nolan films influenced certain entries). However, the Bond genre is very well-defined in itself. The question is what shape does it take moving forward.

I could certainly see Eon trying to emulate Marvel and make the films more 'jokey.' Perhaps getting someone like Paul King, Edgar Wright or Taika Waititi (all three would be terrific).

Though, the recent 'The Batman' and 'Dune' trailers feel like they are setting the tone moving forward. I get the impression that Eon will feel more inclined to follow their lead. I think we are already seeing that with Cary Fukunaga's involvement in NTTD. I think they will want to push more into that A24 territory. Make it younger, edgier, and cooler (much like how they did in 2006 when I was 16. Now they need a new era of 16 year-olds on board).

n2LJkkvIVYwY.gif

I think there is clearly a young audience ready for a new Bond. The glamorous, aspirational and exotic tone is very suited to the Instagram crowd. Another generation of Bond fans in the making.

IMG-7615-1_d_0_0_882.20181107154132.jpg
    2B8286FE00000578-0-image-m-7_1440042722450.jpg
    EwhQRegVEAMp0SS?format=jpg&name=medium
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Hahaha Pierce2Daniel. This is good name. Two great James Bond men. I’m am not agreeing with you in your writing. James Bond not follow trend. James Bond is trend. My go to movie for James Bond. For Marvel. For Stars War. Mr. Sean Connery begin funny line in early James Bond film. Then being copy by all other. Also film Dune not be so good I am thinking. I have seen early small promotions movie and look boring. Actor in Dune not being big star me think.

When you first started posting on here you didn't write like this. So why are you doing so now?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Hahaha Pierce2Daniel. This is good name. Two great James Bond men. I’m am not agreeing with you in your writing. James Bond not follow trend. James Bond is trend. My go to movie for James Bond. For Marvel. For Stars War. Mr. Sean Connery begin funny line in early James Bond film. Then being copy by all other. Also film Dune not be so good I am thinking. I have seen early small promotions movie and look boring. Actor in Dune not being big star me think.

When you first started posting on here you didn't write like this. So why are you doing so now?

Yeah, he/she is taking the p*ss now.

Yeah, he/she is taking the p*ss now.

Yup. Not that I mind, really. Just thought I'd ask why.
    Was suspicious of him/her from the beginning!!
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Haha I find General Graves entertaining. I've looked at his previous comments and don't see any change...
  • I love Villeneuve's films, but I have similar concerns as for Nolan - can they deliver the light-he
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'd love so see future Bond women in their 30's or 40's. I always thought Jane Seymour looked amazing in her 40's as did Bellucci at 50.

They look good for their age but not suited as bond girls.

Does anyone really want to see any more 50 year old bond girls ? I wouldn't think so.
    Diversity gone crazy again ?

If Bond can be 20+ years older than his love interest, why
    I was thinking about this earlier this week. The Bond franchise tends to follow trends. You can see this in the Craig-era (most noticeably in how the Bourne and Nolan films influenced certain entries). However, the Bond genre is very well-defined in itself. The question is what shape does it take moving forward.

I could certainly see Eon trying to emulate Marvel and make the films more 'jokey.' Perhaps getting someone like Paul King, Edgar Wright or Taika Waititi (all three would be terrific).

Though, the recent 'The Batman' and 'Dune' trailers feel like they are setting the tone moving forward. I get the impression that Eon will feel more inclined to follow their lead. I think we are already seeing that with Cary Fukunaga's involvement in NTTD. I think they will want to push more into that A24 territory. Make it younger, edgier, and cooler (much like how they did in 2006 when I was 16. Now they need a new era of 16 year-olds on board).

n2LJkkvIVYwY.gif

I think there is clearly a young audience ready for a new Bond. The glamorous, aspirational and exotic tone is very suited to the Instagram crowd. Another generation of Bond fans in the making.

IMG-7615-1_d_0_0_882.20181107154132.jpg
    2B8286FE00000578-0-image-m-7_1440042722450.jpg

Not sure many of us would personally like that approach, but it may very well be inevitable. Bond would not use social media (unless for counterintelligence purposes), but we could see him snowboard and smoke weed. Another consideration is that Bond's audience is increasingly less Anglo-Saxon, more diverse and international. China's box office is poised to be the largest market for a long time. They definitely like their films more flashy. While I doubt that EON would co-produce with Chinese production houses just yet, it's not an impossibility (look at M:I).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Hi, @FatherValentine. We’re not sure why you decided to create the duplicate account known as @General_Graves, all the while adopting a completely different posting style. A PM has been sent your way.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Eh?! But he just challenged Graves?!
    jake24 wrote: »

Hi, @FatherValentine. We’re not sure why you decided to create the duplicate account known as @General_Graves, all the while adopting a completely different posting style. A PM has been sent your way.

200.gif
  • QsCatQsCat London

200.gif

Haha confusing indeed. Well you've got to find ways to keep yourself busy these days.
    Will Fathervalentine stay on, will General Graves take over, or will a new, more sinister, persona emerge...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,861

That is... bizarre. There are some troubled people out there.

Anyway, I was thinking that Craig is a bit of a milestone Bond in two ways: he was the first actor that Cubby never saw play 007, but also he'll be the last that all of the previous Bond actors saw in the role.
    A bit maudlin, maybe :)
    edited February 2021 Posts: 737

Haha. Top post Gustav.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 737
    QsCat wrote: »

200.gif

Haha confusing indeed. Well you've got to find ways to keep yourself busy these days.
    Will Fathervalentine stay on, will General Graves take over, or will a new, more sinister, persona emerge...

It all remains to be seen...

Is Safin really Dr No, Gustav Graves, or Father Valentine...?

More seriously, is Rian Johnson really a Bond fan? I don't think I would mind him directing one, if so. I think he could bring a nice tone to a production. Knives Out had a good old fashioned night at the pictures feel about it that I think suits Bond.
    Someone just posted on Twitter a story about Craig's screen test, that states that Craig apparently did half a day's filming and then left, telling producers that if they didn't want him based on what he had already shot then he wasn't interested in the job.

Anyone heard this before?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Keep on changing that subject...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Sincere apologies to @FatherValentine, there was bit of a technical mix up with the mod team. He is not the megalomaniac villain using a giant space weapon to destroy the DMZ we thought he was. Let’s put this rather embarrassing mix-up behind us, shall we?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sadly as @jake24 has mentioned. Sometimes there are glitches with IP's matching that is out of control of the mod team.
    We would like to point out that @FatherValentine IS NOT @General_Graves and again apologies for any anguish or hurt this may have caused @FatherValentine
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sincere apologies to @FatherValentine, there was bit of a technical mix up with the mod team. He is not the megalomaniac villain using a giant space weapon to destroy the DMZ we thought he was. Let’s put this rather embarrassing mix-up behind us, shall we?

Thank goodness for that. Glad to see him get his security clearance back. :)
    Benny wrote: »
    Sadly as @jake24 has mentioned. Sometimes there are glitches with IP's matching that is out of control of the mod team.
    We would like to point out that @FatherValentine IS NOT @General_Graves and again apologies for any anguish or hurt this may have caused @FatherValentine

I am very happy to be able to come back in from the cold. And I am looking forward to reporting for duty first thing in the morning.
    Well thank God for that, @FatherValentine!
    tenor.gif?itemid=18639065
  • Well that conversation certainly took a brief turn for the perculiar. 😆
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Good to hear.
    Well thank God for that, @FatherValentine!
    tenor.gif?itemid=18639065

Thanks.

During my attempts to bring down Gustav Graves I was briefly suspected of being a double agent. But all seems to be cleared up now.