Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 1,351
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The reason I don't want him to be James Bond is about star power and fame. James Bond should be played by someone who can fully become the character and be that character for a whole generation, so having an actor that is hugely famous for something else; like Henry Cavill being Superman, and in this case, Harry Styles being a hugely famous musician.
    I totally agree with this view! I would say the only possible exception would be if Eon drastically changed its format and exclusively produced standalones with a new actor each time. Although it's not really what I would like to see, I think this format would further favor a famous actor in the role.

It is interesting how much handwringing there is about the new Bond and how long they can stay in the role and how the franchise will be set-up for the future and so on.
    Isn't James Bond the character where casting continuity is the most muddled and all over the place anyway? Sure, people try to put a unifying theory onto the whole thing and I think all Bond fans have spent at least some time thinking about their stance on stuff like continuity and codename theory and all of that, but where other franchises have to invent parellel universes or keep the old actor in the franchise while the new actor just takes up their mantle or whatever, Bond just is. Whoever it says at the beginning of the credits "as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in" is James Bond. All of them are Bond. They are seperate and connected at the same time.

So why not do just one movie with Tom Hardy? Why not have Nic Hoult do a couple, go away to do something else while Robert Pattinson does one if he has a shooting window available and then have Hoult come back? Hell, have Craig come back in 10 if he feels like it. Connery played Bond in three decades, Craig could get to four. He'll always look like he's 39 anyway.
    Trust me, it's not too complicated for the audience: It's a Bond film. The handsome man in the film is James Bond and this is one of his stories.

(Maybe I should put this in the controversial opinions thread...)

Edit: And this is not even mainly directed at fans. Eon: Just get to producing movies. I assume you get about 12 spec scripts and 15 product placement deal offers per week. There is bound to be enough material to get a film through the door every 30 months.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    talos7 wrote: »
    At this point, evaluating and, or, suggesting potential Bonds is a wide open topic; some suggestions are very traditional and some are outside of the box; to use a colloquial, we're "spitballing". Suggesting that someone is 'not a fan' because you don't agree with a particular suggestion is strangely myopic.

Bond-hater
    :))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    QsCat wrote: »
    At this point, evaluating and, or, suggesting potential Bonds is a wide open topic; some suggestions are very traditional and some are outside of the box; to use a colloquial, we're "spitballing". Suggesting that someone is 'not a fan' because you don't agree with a particular suggestion is strangely myopic.

Bond-hater

:( ;)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Can you imagine how much worse it must be at Eon when they discuss who they want for the next James Bond?

Can you imagine how much worse it must be at Eon when they discuss who they want for the next James Bond?
    No doubt it’s quite a process; the stakes are huge.

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    The reason I don't want him to be James Bond is about star power and fame. James Bond should be played by someone who can fully become the character and be that character for a whole generation, so having an actor that is hugely famous for something else; like Henry Cavill being Superman, and in this case, Harry Styles being a hugely famous musician.
    I totally agree with this view! I would say the only possible exception would be if Eon drastically changed its format and exclusively produced standalones with a new actor each time. Although it's not really what I would like to see, I think this format would further favor a famous actor in the role.

It is interesting how much handwringing there is about the new Bond and how long they can stay in the role and how the franchise will be set-up for the future and so on.
    Isn't James Bond the character where casting continuity is the most muddled and all over the place anyway? Sure, people try to put a unifying theory onto the whole thing and I think all Bond fans have spent at least some time thinking about their stance on stuff like continuity and codename theory and all of that, but where other franchises have to invent parellel universes or keep the old actor in the franchise while the new actor just takes up their mantle or whatever, Bond just is. Whoever it says at the beginning of the credits "as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in" is James Bond. All of them are Bond. They are seperate and connected at the same time.

So why not do just one movie with Tom Hardy? Why not have Nic Hoult do a couple, go away to do something else while Robert Pattinson does one if he has a shooting window available and then have Hoult come back? Hell, have Craig come back in 10 if he feels like it. Connery played Bond in three decades, Craig could get to four. He'll always look like he's 39 anyway.
    Trust me, it's not too complicated for the audience: It's a Bond film. The handsome man in the film is James Bond and this is one of his stories.

Edit: And this is not even mainly directed at fans. Eon: Just get to producing movies. I assume you get about 12 spec scripts and 15 product placement deal offers per week. There is bound to be enough material to get a film through the door every 30 months.

Only thing controversial here is you saying Craig looks like he's 39!

Maybe I went a tad overboard with that one :-D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think Harry Styles will ever be considered, but I hope we're not ruling him out (or calling him an idiot) because he sometimes dresses effeminately...

The only reason, for me, that is valid for ruling him out is his lack of experience.
    Yeah, I understand that, and I also don't think he was bad in Dunkirk. I'm really looking forward to Don't Worry Darling with him and Florence Pugh...

The reason I don't want him to be James Bond is about star power and fame. James Bond should be played by someone who can fully become the character and be that character for a whole generation, so having an actor that is hugely famous for something else; like Henry Cavill being Superman, and in this case, Harry Styles being a hugely famous musician. I understand Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore were known enough before their time as 007, but we're in a different time now. Fame is bigger than it ever was, so to hire someone extremely famous just wouldn't work in my eyes.

I think being well known for another big role like Batman is to be avoided, but being a well known actor isn't terrible. Styles at the moment is a famous singer but he's not a famous movie star, I wouldn't object to that level of fame.
    I think the fact Styles has acted in a big Nolan film gives him at least a little acting credibility. He's not a bad height either, for those of us that care about such things. As several people have said, a number of singers have succeeded in crossing over to acting, though I think he'd need a critically acclaimed performance to be in with a shot.

I'm not actually familiar with One Direction (though I've heard of them, of course). My first thought when talos7 suggested him was that he looked a bit like the lead from Pennyworth, who someone here suggested for Bond a few months ago.
    Photograph taken by female American tourist at Eon Productions. The woman has been liquidated as a routine precaution.

EkFS7a0.png
    he just looks odd to me sorry

Maybe I went a tad overboard with that one :-D

We're all prone to that occasionally haha.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2021 Posts: 5,834

As long as it's not on Bond 26. ;) I jest...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »

I must admit looks-wise I'd prefer someone handsome in a slightly unconventional way again, rather than a slightly blandly handsome person (like Sam Heughan for example). That would include your Turners; Aiden maybe looks quite Daltonish but he's also got fairly unique looks.
    mtm wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

I must admit looks-wise I'd prefer someone handsome in a slightly unconventional way again, rather than a slightly blandly handsome person (like Sam Heughan for example). That would include your Turners; Aiden maybe looks quite Daltonish but he's also got fairly unique looks.

I have been holding it back for months, but here it goes: Aidan Tuner looks like a rodent.
    Shoot me.
  • Casting Bond really is the hardest job in cinema. There are so many boxes to tick.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Could a member of these forums ever be Bond?...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Could a member of these forums ever be Bond?...
    My surname is Turner so why not another one for the list :)
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited February 2021 Posts: 251
    The battle of the Turner's.
    I'm an unknown actor and a fan. I can't take most of these suggestions seriously partly because I naturally wouldn't mind playing the part! Someone has to do it. And I wouldn't want it to be Jack Lowden, Nick Hoult OR Harry Styles. Unfortunately I am not 'a name'. I am Q'sCat, to you lot.
    I've often wondered what the reaction would be if I posted my headshot. I wouldn't dream of it though! Has anyone ever seriously suggested themself on here??
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not that I recall @QsCat But never say never. We do have a thread, post a picture of yourself.
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/2898/post-a-picture-of-yourself-p#latest
    If you're going to make it, you need to get yourself out there. You never know who's watching or looking. ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Let's just stop.

6705.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=0718e356388ccd62df0ba2d0ae1aa8c3

4606.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=b52deb9087a5da4ebae77e113a2c0cb9

img.jpg

Let's keep this idiot out of the conversation, yes?

One flew over the Cookoos nest.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Bond-hater

I’m pretty the new member is a prank, surely? It’s a near perfect Borat impression and just looking to wind people up on here.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Bond-hater

I’m pretty the new member is a prank, surely? It’s a near perfect Borat impression and just looking to wind people up on here.

Had crossed my mind.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I at his name first in Superman thread..

Kingsley Ben-Adir
    kingsleybenadir.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

1127386-800w.jpg

Or is he more Bond. He is Britisch!, but atleast i think he intresting for another option for Felix or Licence to Kill type of villian. He is from 1986, wil be first who younger then me, but looks older.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2020%2F09%2F28%2FSM_101_JA_1017_0219_RT.jpg

Kingsley%20B-A.jpg?itok=AocOahWd
    ^We've mentioned him before in the thread.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ^We've mentioned him before in the thread.

I was trying to think where I knew him from! I looked him up and haven't seen any of his stuff that I could recognise, so it was really confusing me :D
    He was good in the second series of The OA, though he was playing an American there. In Peaky Blinders (one of the later seasons) he played a rather posh English army officer, and I think that is closer to Bond, if you were looking to check him out.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 928
    Ben-Adir gives a fine performance as Malcolm X in One Night in Miami, and I hadn't recognized that he was also in Peaky Blinders. He's one of those chameleon actors that would be a good fit in the Bond series, whether as an ally (e.g. Q) or an adversary.
    I don't think Harry Styles will ever be considered, but I hope we're not ruling him out (or calling him an idiot) because he sometimes dresses effeminately...

The only reason, for me, that is valid for ruling him out is his lack of experience. And that is likely to change. I don't know if he wishes to continue acting or not, but he wasn't bad in Dunkirk at all considering he had thrown himself in at the deep end. If he develops leading man capabilities, why not? The photo posted above proves he looks good in a nice suit.

It's not like we've never had a super-masculine version of Bond embrace effeminacy before!

o3tifcg3hx541.jpg

Roger Moore once played a woman as well (the aunt of Sinclair in The Persuaders). He was very convincing I must say.