The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

The Daltonites ?, sounds like something out of Hellraiser etc..., why not just keep it simple i.e. - 'The Timothy Dalton appreciation thread', that does sound so much better

We've been through it enough times, at least I have, but for me, Dalton was simply the best Bond, it's a real tough call along with Connery, but I just prefered Dalton out of the two, felt he was closest to the original character, a no nonsense approach, dark, a minimum on humor and went about his business in such a professional manner etc, he really did look the part often enough too. I'm not really fan of his other work outside of Bond, but have a lot of time for the actor and individual as a whole, I'll always insist it was such a pity if not for the legal disputes of the time that he was unable to give us another Bond release, by the time of 1995 and the next movie, I simply felt Tim was maybe inappropriate for the role by then, but nevertheless would of been something to see, but Brosnan came in and did quite a good job with it, but still, it is a shame looking back
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    This review will REALLY get people going :p Oh deary me.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=132179

As many people know on here I have mixed feelings for The Daltonite/LTK but I feel sorry for him in a way having to put up with stuff like this (although I kind of agree about the "dead end" line). While Craig got a lot of flack to begin with he seems to be having a (comparitively) easy ride.

(Note: This guy is just plain wrong about Davi too)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    This review will REALLY get people going :p

As many people know on here I have mixed feelings for The Daltonite/LTK but I feel sorry for him in a way having to put up with stuff like this (although I kind of agree about the "dead end" line).

Yes, the man is an idiot. First of all, one of his biggest complaints is that Sanchez fails when Felix survives, but that is what he wanted all along! For Felix to suffer his entire life, and killing him would be too quick a punishment. Sanchez even outlines that! Does the man think Felix drug himself back to the beach house and covered himself up with a sheet after the shark had his way with him? And the picking at Dalton, who doesn't deserve the hate. But this is coming from a man who is probably a huge Moore fan and got angry when there wasn't a walking joke every two seconds. Alas, the reviewer failed to capture what the film was about, and paid no attention to the tone of the film, revenge. But, I get a smile on my face, scrolling down the web page, finding dozens of reviews calling it one of the best Bond films, defending Dalton, and calling the reviewer an absolute imbecile. Bond fans, unite!!!
    Look, I don't consider LTK one of the very best Bond films. In fact part of me wants to call it a cheap, un-stylish Americanised thriller cashing in on the whole "drug" craze of the 80s, BUT I do recognise the film has its strengths. It's not that bad, in fact its quite good - but up against GF, FRWL and CR? No way!.

Here's quite a good critique of LTK - from a defender of Dalton!

http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/ltk-review.html
    BAIN123 wrote:
    This review will REALLY get people going :p Oh deary me.

As many people know on here I have mixed feelings for The Daltonite/LTK but I feel sorry for him in a way having to put up with stuff like this (although I kind of agree about the "dead end" line). While Craig got a lot of flack to begin with he seems to be having a (comparitively) easy ride.

This guy completely missed the point. What an idiot.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The signal of Dalton’s end as 007 appears in the opening sequence, an unintentionally laughable moment when the secret agent is forced to make bird-like motions with his arms as DEA agents suspend him from a helicopter like a captured egret.

Oh. So how else is he supposed to signal to Felix to lower him down to the plane? Smoke signals, prehaps?

This aspect of the character is suggested early in the film, at the Hemingway House in Key West, when M confronts Bond to remind the agent that he was suppose to be on a plane to Istanbul for his next mission. Would a Double-O agent forsake his duty and profession for personal revenge? Apparently, this Bond would. Surprisingly, Dalton’s performance is weak in this scene, helped along by lousy dialogue.

If I didn't allready disagree with that article before, then I certainly did at that point.

My investigation into this quirky production reveals that Glen’s directorial style also contributed to the chaos. It seems Glen was too preoccupied with action scenes to even think about trivial things such as characters and a compelling story. As Carey Lowell explains in an interview for Cinefantastique, Glen’s “‘interest is really in the action.... He’s not really interested at all in the character’s history and he doesn’t want to discuss much of it. The acting sort of took second place to the special effects and the action and momentum of the story’” (Altman 26-28). Fortunately, Dalton stepped in to fill the void that Glen created, pulling the directorial reigns on the acting front and hitting pay dirt with Lowell’s praises. “‘What John didn’t give me,’” the actress recalls, “‘Timothy did.... Luckily, Timothy was helpful because he’s very into character and ready to discuss it’” (56).

That's the most unsettling part. If there is a god, then I would hope that for Dalton's 3rd Bond, we'd have had a different director.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dalton's third was to be with a different director. This piece of information I think is quite widely known. It seems Cubby and co. were ready to part way with Glen too. Maybe Dalton's voice was also heard on that front?
    I genuinely have a gut feeling several directors were approached but didn't want to work on the film if Dalton was in the lead.

I know only one director has publically said as much but how else can u explain Tim staying on for so long (6 years) and then suddenly "quitting"?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I know only one director has publically said as much but how else can u explain Tim staying on for so long (6 years) and then suddenly "quitting"?

Pressure from MGM to force Dalton out, something Cubby didn't want to do. And that was one directer, I hardly think that there was some kind of lynch mob of directors after Dalton's blood. But anyway, this thread is for appreciation...

I believe this has been posted elsewhere on the forum before, but seeing as this is a Dalton centric thread:

http://www.hmss.com/films/memory/
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I genuinely have a gut feeling several directors were approached but didn't want to work on the film if Dalton was in the lead.

This is an appreciation thread. Besides, like you and @MajorDSmythe already said, there was only one director who said that he didn't want to work with Dalton (the guy who made Die Hard 2). How do you know that several directors were approached?

What I've heard is that there was no film because of legal issues, and after years of waiting quit because MGM were pressuring Cubby to fire him (which he didn't want to do, since he liked Dalton), so Dalton left. A shame, he easily had 1 or 2 more left in him. I think it's sad how him and Brosnan had their runs cut short when they could've done more.
    I don't know - it's merely a feeling I have.

As you said though this is an appreciation thread so wont get into that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2012 Posts: 12,459
    What do I really like about Dalton?
    The intelligence in his Bond that shines through
    His ruggedness, determination, and sheer grit
    His drive and ruthlessness that seems to be only when warranted (therefore not a character fault)
    His smile and his charm

A memorable Bond and I wish there had been at least one more film with him.

His ruggedness, determination, and sheer grit

Most of that list I'd agree with but I'm not sure I'd describe him as "rugged". That word could be better applied to Connery or Craig. I'd say more "elegant".
    BAIN123 wrote:

A gut feeling? Any solid evidence?

Until its stone cold fact its nothing but heresay.

I have a gut feeling that Tim just got fed up with all the tooing and throwing. But can I prove it?

• If I remember correctly, Tim's deal was up right around the time the legal issues had finally been resolved. He stated that while he had "great affection" for his 2 movies and Bond in general, he felt it was time to move forward. I always, based on his statement, felt it was his decision to leave and no one forced him out. And definitely, his run was cut far short of where it should have ended, which should have had at least 2-3 more films.

As for Brosnan, his run was over and I think the decision to release him was the correct decision. He had 4 chances to 2 and none of his films, to me, rate with Dalton's or CR. Some may disagree, but we have the real deal playing Bond now and a golden era unfolding in front of us regarding the near overwhelming popularity of Daniel Craig (much like Sir Sean) and killer box office receipts to prove that. Over 1 BILLION in those. It's very hard to dispute that kind of success and call the Craig era a "failure", although some very unconvincingly continue to try.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A true Daltonite has a Dalton tattoo on his left arm. (showing mine right now)
    A true Daltonite has a Dalton avatar on this very forum. (pointing at mine right now)
    A true Daltonite has at least once taken a serious beating from Brozzarites, although a REALLY true Daltonite has immediately fought back and left some corpses behind. (showing my prison scars right now)

In a word: a true Daltonite would be... me.

Supreme Daltonite, grand overloard of Daltoneene, the prime planet of the Daltonites in the solar system of Alfa Dalton 1, sighning off.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    DarthDimi wrote:
    A true Daltonite has a Dalton avatar on this very forum. (pointing at mine right now)
    A true Daltonite has at least once taken a serious beating from Brozzarites, although a REALLY true Daltonite has immediately fought back and left some corpses behind. (showing my prison scars right now)

Supreme Daltonite, grand overloard of Daltoneene, the prime planet of the Daltonites in the solar system of Alfa Dalton 1, sighning off.

Such a pity you are so wishy washy about your feelings. How can we know where you stand? ;)
    (I hope this affectionate sarcasm comes across in the right way in this comment ...)
    DarthDimi wrote:

Such a pity you are so wishy washy about your feelings. How can we know where you stand? ;)
    (I hope this affectionate sarcasm comes across in the right way in this comment ...)

Let's just say I've made my bed... And Dalton could sleep in it! :P (but without me, because as much of a fan as I am, I haven't developed a man crush ...yet ;-) )
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't know - it's merely a feeling I have.

As you said though this is an appreciation thread so wont get into that.

I know, it's why I have to stay away from here.....I will add a bit of Dalton love though. I thought his chemistry with Maryam d'Abo was spot on. They really convinced me that they were falling for each other.
    DarthDimi wrote:

I have A tattoo on my left arm.

I USED to have a Dalton avatar.

I do not fight Brozzarites because I like Brosnan too (not as much as Dalton though).

Where do I stand, hahaha :)
    Where do I stand, hahaha :)

On your knees!

The fact he never did his third pains me even twenty years later. *sigh*
    I actually dreamed about Dalton a night or two ago, I must have been participating in Bond discussion just before lights out and some hours later before I woke up I remember vividly having this dream and as clear as day he was involved, I think it was as the James Bond character, and everyone was saying how handsome he was, and all the things that George Clooney was in his prime etc, you get the picture, it was like he was this super icon, bigger than you could imagine, he had reached almost legendary status to anyone, not just Bond enthusiasts, it was quite surreal I remember after. I did forget to mention at the next opportunity but there you are. My second James Bond dream this calendar year
  • Timothy Dalton protrayed charecters that were also played by Lord Oliver, Orson Welles, and Clark Gable. Not bad company.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    When I have a son one day, I am toying with the notion of naming him Dalton. Do you think that's cool or should I have my head checked? 8-}

I mean I did notice an old high school friend on facebook had a baby recently and named him Dalton-- and she was no Bond fan. But everyone knows I am.... it's a good bet my family would make fun of me for eternity lol
    Can't believe it has taken me so long to find the promised land of a Dalton appreciation thread. Feels like 40 years of wandering in a desert of Brossites and deluded Craig fans is finally over and I have found home!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    This review will REALLY get people going :p

As many people know on here I have mixed feelings for The Daltonite/LTK but I feel sorry for him in a way having to put up with stuff like this (although I kind of agree about the "dead end" line).

Yes, the man is an idiot. First of all, one of his biggest complaints is that Sanchez fails when Felix survives, but that is what he wanted all along! For Felix to suffer his entire life, and killing him would be too quick a punishment. Sanchez even outlines that! Does the man think Felix drug himself back to the beach house and covered himself up with a sheet after the shark had his way with him? And the picking at Dalton, who doesn't deserve the hate. But this is coming from a man who is probably a huge Moore fan and got angry when there wasn't a walking joke every two seconds. Alas, the reviewer failed to capture what the film was about, and paid no attention to the tone of the film, revenge. But, I get a smile on my face, scrolling down the web page, finding dozens of reviews calling it one of the best Bond films, defending Dalton, and calling the reviewer an absolute imbecile. Bond fans, unite!!!

Yes, the comments at the bottom say everything that needs to be said. LTK is not one of my favourites but if he can't appreciate Dalton's Bond this guy doesnt deserve to be a critic. But then I dont expect much from Empire.
  • The_Reaper wrote:
    The fact he never did his third pains me even twenty years later. *sigh*

Same here...goldeneye would have been his goldfinger...three classic bonds in a row would have convinced us all here that he truly was the heir to sean.

It's a tragedy. As much as I am personally convinced that Tim was an excellent Bond, I know that his full potential was not realised and that his role will only ever really be seen as a footnote because he did not make enough entries for his tenure to be compared fully with the likes Connery, Moore and Brosnan.
  • I really hate how most people blames Dalton for 'the death of Bond', when they don't even know the fulls story. Ugh.