NTTD & Corona

Comments

antovolk wrote: »

So just for a bit of realistic context - because I know folks have posted some stuff similar to above here with slightly more 'it's going to 2022' - that doesn't mean UK cinemas will be closed. It means that it'll basically be like last summer when Tenet came out - so same restrictions still in place in terms of audience capacity until the end of the year. But now with the vaccine out there, hopefully, more audience confidence.

So, much like the last period in between the first and second wave. Will MGM (and not just them but other studios with big films due for a traditional exclusive theatrical release) be okay with releasing into a still somewhat restricted environment? This is where probably looking at the Tenet data will actually bear fruit because - that's done really well in the UK and elsewhere in Europe/Asia given the circumstances. And that's without the vaccine out there.

I can't see MGM releasing this only in countries where cinemas are back open, like the UK may be by October. It will have to be a worldwide theatrical release, which is why I think October is unlikely. It will get pushed back to next year, when hopefully a few more countries are fully vaccinated and cinemas are back open everywhere.

But thing is - by October looks like cinemas will be back open more or less globally. Still with restrictions, but all the major markets should be open. At the moment only real problematic places are Europe/UK (as they're closed entirely) and then US major metropolitan areas like NY/LA. China, Asia and Australia has already been open and begging for content.

There's a bit of underestimation with regards to how 'early' hospitality will reopen relative to the vaccine rollout. They won't wait until everyone has been offered the vaccine to start opening up like they did last summer.

From what I recall, cinemas were open last year when NTTD was supposed to be released, yet MGM still decided to push the release back to this April. I still think this October will be too early for them.

That’s not the case. Cinemas across the UK were shut in November and a few were afforded the opportunity to open for a week or so in Dec when restrictions were eased before going into Tier 4.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,273
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I think they will stick to the October date.Will be released in cinemas and available on PVOD and home media/blu ray about four weeks later given what was reported recently about the new release window for films in the U.K.

This all depends on how the vaccine roll-out goes globally, and any new strains of the virus appearing, not just in the UK. If most of the planet have not been vaccinated by then (which is very likely), and many countries are still in various forms of lockdowns, there is no way MGM will release it in October, just for the UK market only.

I've already accepted NTTD will not be released this year, so I won't be facing any more disappointment when October arrives.

So just for a bit of realistic context - because I know folks have posted some stuff similar to above here with slightly more 'it's going to 2022' - that doesn't mean UK cinemas will be closed. It means that it'll basically be like last summer when Tenet came out - so same restrictions still in place in terms of audience capacity until the end of the year. But now with the vaccine out there, hopefully, more audience confidence.

So, much like the last period in between the first and second wave. Will MGM (and not just them but other studios with big films due for a traditional exclusive theatrical release) be okay with releasing into a still somewhat restricted environment? This is where probably looking at the Tenet data will actually bear fruit because - that's done really well in the UK and elsewhere in Europe/Asia given the circumstances. And that's without the vaccine out there.

I can't see MGM releasing this only in countries where cinemas are back open, like the UK may be by October. It will have to be a worldwide theatrical release, which is why I think October is unlikely. It will get pushed back to next year, when hopefully a few more countries are fully vaccinated and cinemas are back open everywhere.

But thing is - by October looks like cinemas will be back open more or less globally. Still with restrictions, but all the major markets should be open. At the moment only real problematic places are Europe/UK (as they're closed entirely) and then US major metropolitan areas like NY/LA. China, Asia and Australia has already been open and begging for content.

There's a bit of underestimation with regards to how 'early' hospitality will reopen relative to the vaccine rollout. They won't wait until everyone has been offered the vaccine to start opening up like they did last summer.

From what I recall, cinemas were open last year when NTTD was supposed to be released, yet MGM still decided to push the release back to this April. I still think this October will be too early for them.

They actually weren’t! U.K. went into the second lockdown in early November and, more crucially...it was the only big film left standing in that time period by the time it moved.

Really? Wow, I'm really losing track of when lockdowns have been on and off this past year. All I know is, I feel like we are living in Groundhog Day, over and over and over again.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I think they will stick to the October date.Will be released in cinemas and available on PVOD and home media/blu ray about four weeks later given what was reported recently about the new release window for films in the U.K.

I've already accepted NTTD will not be released this year, so I won't be facing any more disappointment when October arrives.

Me too.

I don’t see them releasing it after a 1.5 year delay with restrictions still part of the cinema experience. If that happens, it means they literally have no other choice.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 348
    Even if it is delayed to early 2022, there probably will be some seating restrictions in place anyway, so what difference does a few months earlier (October) make?
    Some context taken from the bbc website.

'Simply being realistic' about Covid suppression

Nick Triggle
    Health Correspondent
    Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said that, with the support of vaccines and new treatments, Covid-19 will become a " treatable disease" that we "have to live with, like we do flu".

But there are experts who warn we are still "a long way" from being able to treat the virus as we do flu - with mutations getting "more dangerous" and "more infectious"

Dr Richard Horton has suggested it would up to four years to build up sufficient levels of immunity in the population, but agreed we can't live under restrictive measure indefinitely.

BBC Health Correspondent Nick Triggle says it's simply about being realistic:

"Covid isn't something that can be eradicated like smallpox.

"Temporary suppression, which is essentially what countries like New Zealand have done, is about protecting people in the short-term. Unless they keep their borders shut forever, it cannot work long-term.

"Vaccines mean immunity builds up and, at the very least, should stop most people falling seriously ill.

"There will be an ongoing challenge of keeping up with a virus that will mutate - although this is likely to be less difficult than it seems as coronaviruses tend to be much more stable than flu, for which different strains circulate every year.

"But we should never again see the levels of deaths we have.

"Thousands will still die in winters to come. But each year this should lessen until it gets near to the levels of mortality we see with flu - something which society readily accepts."

———

Still thinking things will be normal any time soon anyone....?

They actually weren’t! U.K. went into the second lockdown in early November and, more crucially...it was the only big film left standing in that time period by the time it moved.

Really? Wow, I'm really losing track of when lockdowns have been on and off this past year. All I know is, I feel like we are living in Groundhog Day, over and over and over again.

I saw WW84 in the theater in late December in Ireland.We went into tier 5 after christmas and then the theaters closed.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Still thinking things will be normal any time soon anyone....?

Normal would be, when a couple of thousands die each winter like with the flu.
    But right now a couple of thousands die each week, in some countries each day.

But compared with the flu more people will get vaccinated. So the death rate could go below the flu-death-rate.
    Theatres opening this year? Not likely!

There's now a so-called "escape mutation" called E484K that escapes some of the vaccines available so far.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    There are so many mutations of this virus now, they are like tiny power rangers.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited February 2021 Posts: 1,400
    deleted
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Theatres opening this year? Not likely!

There's now a so-called "escape mutation" called E484K that escapes some of the vaccines available so far.

I don't think anyone now seriously is thinking cinemas will be fully back open again this year.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'd say holding the October release date has about a 50/50 chance.

Look at the math.

President Biden has increased the number of vaccines in the US. The projection today (which could change) is that the general public should be vaccinated by late summer.

If you start your vaccine in August, you will have your greatest immunity protection by October. (Two doses are given 3-4 weeks apart, and then you need two weeks to build up immunity. That's a total of six weeks. If it's one dose, then it's faster.)

IF all the people who want to be vaccinated are vaccinated by October, AND those people feel comfortable being out and about, in the major release countries, I can see them releasing NTTD in theaters in October. (Don't get me started on the anti-vaxxers. Presumably they're comfortable being out and about already and will go to see NTTD, unless theaters require some sort of "immunity passport.")

Raise your hands if you ever thought you would need a "passport" to see a Bond film.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164

I'd imagine this idea would only really get wide traction after the September deadline by which every adult will have been offered the vaccine. Just in time for this...
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

I'd imagine this idea would only really get wide traction after the September deadline by which every adult will have been offered the vaccine. Just in time for this...

More businesses should do this.

When everyone have been offered the vaccine, you don't have to control the audience.
    People that don't want to get the vaccine should not be excluded from events. It's their own risk to go.
    Happy for u UK friends, but in the EU vaccinations are incredibly slower. That could jeopardize a Fall release.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Happy for u UK friends, but in the EU vaccinations are incredibly slower. That could jeopardize a Fall release.

Because the EU were slow in ordering the vaccines and then blamed every man and his dog for it apart from themselves.
    matt_u wrote: »

Not so fast! Half the people who received a vaccine so far in the UK got the Oxford one which seems pretty ineffective against the South African variant. The UK might be in big trouble.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,273
    Mr_Beach wrote: »

Not so fast! Half the people who received a vaccine so far in the UK got the Oxford one which seems pretty ineffective against the South African variant. The UK might be in big trouble.

Still think your prediction that life will be fully back to normal by Easter, and that `NTTD will be screened to audiences in packed theaters in Europe, North America, Japan, Australia in October'?

I should take a large bet with you. It would be the easiest money I would ever get. ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Still think your prediction that life will be fully back to normal by Easter, and that NTTD will be screened to audiences in packed theaters in Europe, North America, Japan, Australia in October'?

I should take a large bet with you. It would be the easiest money I would ever get. ;)

Funny, I had the same reaction to his post.

Still think your prediction that life will be fully back to normal by Easter, and that NTTD will be screened to audiences in packed theaters in Europe, North America, Japan, Australia in October'?

Funny, I had the same reaction to his post.

We should all take a bet with him. The poor guy will be broke by October... :))
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164
    New release date change - looking like they're going back to tradition with an earlier UK/international release. September 29-October 1. Russia first country to announce:

That week was freed up as Dune moved forward to September 15-17 outside the US (where it's still October 1 with HBO Max same day, and NTTD on October 8)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is the first time it has moved forward, so that is promising.

Technically not! The planned US release last November moved forward 5 days from the 25th to the 20th.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Technically not! The planned US release last November moved forward 5 days from the 25th to the 20th.

Aha! Better and better.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141867

All adults in the UK to be offered vaccination by 31st July.
    Good but unfortunately the same can’t be said about the rest of Europe.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Good but unfortunately the same can’t be said about the rest of Europe.

EU too slow to order.