Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

Oh, yes. These musicians actually released a CD of their music: https://www.velutluna.it/index.php?c=7a&l=ita&spc&id_cat&pagina&id=233

Speaking of LALD, the soundtrack album was released in 8-track tape with quadraphonic sound back in 1973. That is, four audio channels. I understand the quadraphonic version is a rarity these days, as is the equipment required to play it back, but it sounds like a dream come true for a Bond music fan. Did anybody here ever buy that album, or listen to it? If so, what did it sound like? Was the channel separation good enough?

R-9134055-1475354614-7687.jpeg.jpg

Personally, I look forward to the day in which one can play a music track and see a mixer with X tracks, which allows the listener to change the volume of each instrument, or even mute it, thus providing the opportunity to study and enjoy the arrangements in a much substantial and detailed way. Of course, there should always be an option to go back to the "original mix" as intended by the musicians.

In absence of the rare quadraphonic version, at least the original, stereo LALD album offers the opportunity to hear certain instruments more prominently than the 2003 remaster.

Incidentally, looking at the music threads in the forum, it seems to me they're really fragmented, unlike the film and literary ones. It makes reading old posts, or creating new ones, more difficult, in the absence of certain catch-all threads.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Today I feel like posting this again. I am sure many of you knew this before, but it had slipped my mind, so I read up on the story behind the James Bond Theme on Wikipedia. It turns out, not all parts were truly original, Monty Norman lifted the beginning from his own score for an unpublished musical. He later recycled the interesting melody for the first bars of the JB theme:

• edited January 2021 Posts: 17,241
    For those interested, the British panel show QI talked a bit about Monty Norman and the James Bond Theme / Good Sign, Bad Sign, in their "Q" series episode "Quills".

The full episode can bee seen here:
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Journey To Blofeld's Hideaway (Remastered)

One of my favorite scores.
    More terrific reworkings of Bond music by JMY.

---

Love 1:16 in this next one, brilliant stuff.

I love this TLD suite, especially from 0:40 onwards. The arrangement is very similar to Hercules Takes Off and "Assassin" and Drugged from the OST, only without the drum machine. It's great to have this arrangement with and without the drums. The drumless version sounds like it would fit a Western (Dances with Wolves?).

• edited February 2021 Posts: 17,241
    You're completely right @mattjoes, it does have a western feel to it! Of course, the film have some western like shots too :D
    thelivingdaylights8.jpg
    tld_s_04_500.jpg
    You're completely right @mattjoes, it does have a western feel to it! Of course, the film have some western like shots too :D
    thelivingdaylights8.jpg
    tld_s_04_500.jpg

Beautiful ones, too.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    thelivingdaylights8.jpg
    tld_s_04_500.jpg

Beautiful ones, too.

Indeed!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Listened to the extended score whilst doing house chores, such a great album one of my favourite soundtracks from the series.

Bond Smells A Rat (From "Diamonds Are Forever" Soundtrack / Remastered 2003)

The James Bond Theme - 2016

Nice!

Listened to the extended score whilst doing house chores, such a great album one of my favourite soundtracks from the series.

It's great. Jazzy and suspenseful!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It's great. Jazzy and suspenseful!
    It really is. So is the next one-"Bond meets Bambi and Thumper." There are so many great tracks from this one.
    DAF score certainly elevates the film, aspects of it remind me of MR score, some tracks are quite bizarre and ominous.

DAF is a guilty pleasure I like it mainly because I think Connery is still great in it. Connery is my favourite Bond.
    How did I miss this? During the pandemic, being unable to perform live, Warren Ringham's Q The Music Show recorded a series of concerts featuring music from all the Bond films, and they're offering them online.

Here's a preview. For the slide whistle moment alone, I'd suggest checking out Let's Go Get 'em, which begins at 17:03. If you're impatient, the slide whistle itself can be heard at 18:50.

Welcome to Cuba.

Oh, yes!

edited April 2021 Posts: 23,102
    Oh, yes!

I like it, brought back a few memories from my clubbing days listening to David Morales.
    ---
    Lets Go Get Em sounds great I will listen to the concert in its entirety later.

Fight at Kobie dock one of my favourites, I just kept listening loving the electric guitar on Drive in the Country.

The jazzed up YOLT I could sit and listen to that live, great vibe. Listened to this one twice, the second time through my 300 watt speakers love it.
    I just kept listening loving the electric guitar on Drive in the Country.
    Yes! They also nailed that keyboard part.

The arrangements are pretty faithful but not identical, which is nice, and it's great to be able to see people playing these themes rather than just hear them.

---

Here are a few more themes:

Living Daylights suite. I love Ice Chase here.
    https://www.facebook.com/QTheMusicShow/videos/432831417930013/

OHMSS Propellerheads remix:
    https://www.facebook.com/QTheMusicShow/videos/469028911029580/
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Listening to AWTD right now on Double J radio. I always liked it, it's very bombastic.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    QBranch wrote: »
    Listening to AWTD right now on Double J radio. I always liked it, it's very bombastic.

Me too. The only other Bond song that it reminds me of is Lulu's TMWTGG. I thought that from the first time I heard it one night on my car radio back in 2008.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    For a while now I've been listening to a Bond theme mix on Spotify, very enjoyable.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,102
    James Bond Theme - John Arnold (Best of James bond)

Girl Trouble
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,102
    Live And Let Die - Boat Chase HD

God I love this score.

Live And Let Die - Underground Lair

It really does not get much better than this track.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,002

Underground Lair is outstanding. Easily my favorite track in LALD and one that I can listen to on repeat without ever tiring of it.

Here's another standout that gets heavy rotation lately.
    James Bond - Astronaut?
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

Underground Lair is outstanding. Easily my favorite track in LALD and one that I can listen to on repeat without ever tiring of it.

Here's another standout that gets heavy rotation lately.

Superb, I recently put together a James Bond Space theme playlist on my amazon Echo's that I often listen to, all John Barry themes.
    You Only Live Twice - Gunbarrel & James Bond In Japan HD

• edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    @Thunderfinger I enjoyed listening to your LTK post, Patti LaBelle, a great song I hadn't heard in a while. It also prompted me to listen to Celine Dion's version (I used to be a deejay and think I'd played both). Interesting that Celine's version was a much bigger hit on most music charts three years later, except that Patti's hit #10 on the R&B chart and Celine's didn't score there at all. Maybe Patti was just ahead of her time.

I watched MR recently and the 007 theme keeps coming to mind. I think this is a good version and that classical music aficionados might agree it shares a few resemblances with Ravel's Bolero, something I hadn't noticed before. The MR soundtrack also made me realize how good full orchestration can sound, compared to some more modern synthesizer-driven ones.
    Good point about Ravel s Bolero. It does indeed evoke that same feeling.
    Good point about Ravel s Bolero. It does indeed evoke that same feeling.

I can hear that in the consistent backing rhythm played on strings/snare.