Shirley Bassey to sing Bond 23 theme tune?

edited June 2012 in Music Posts: 6
Ok, so this is a shameless plug for my new Facebook page but, honestly, has anyone ever done it better then Miss Bassey?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shirley-Bassey-to-sing-the-new-Bond-Theme/351046771632806

Like if you agree!!!

Comments

It's a nice thought but i cannot see it to be honest? My money is on Adele.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No Good About Goodbye says yes.
    EON's merchandising machine probably says no. But I could see her voice the end credits music.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    No Good About Goodbye says yes.
    EON's merchandising machine probably says no. But I could see her voice the end credits music.

That's actually a great idea Dimi. Adele seems more appropriate for the zeitgeist to be the featured track, but Bassey would be a great choice to close out the film. Why not the best of both worlds.
  • It won't be Adele. She's taking a year off to rest her voice. She's had all sorts of throat problems.
    it will be someone the studio thinks is young and hip and will bring in the wonga.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,448
    If it's Justin Bieber they hire for the main theme, I suggest we organise ourselves in a good old fashioned Frankenstinian angry mob. My pitchforks are sharp.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Dimi, please don't mention Justin Bieber at any time....
    I oozed buckets of cold sweat in those days. :-O
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Dimi you're pushing it, mate ;) no more pics of 'him' !!
  • The mention of the unmentionable made me want to cry a bit.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I still want Bassey and Paul McCartney in the ending credits as a salute to the Brits, for this anniversary film. I am okay with Adele for the theme song - I just want a really darn good theme song for a change! It's been so long ...
    I still want Bassey and Paul McCartney in the ending credits as a salute to the Brits, for this anniversary film. I am okay with Adele for the theme song - I just want a really darn good theme song for a change! It's been so long ...

I don't know about that, I thought You Know My Name was a great Bond song, and not too long before we had TWINE, which I also liked.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I liked TWINE okay, but that was the last one I liked. But you know, just personal tastes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have my angry mob ready:

angry_mob.jpg

But I going to send them to EONs office if Caro Emerald isn't choosen.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    If it's Justin Bieber they hire for the main theme, I suggest we organise ourselves in a good old fashioned Frankenstinian angry mob. My pitchforks are sharp.

Wash your mouth out DD!!!!!! What a shocking thing to say! No Bieber!!!!!!!! :-t
    RogueAgent wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Wash your mouth out DD!!!!!! What a shocking thing to say! No Bieber!!!!!!!! :-t

You just mentioned 'his' name !! [-(
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

You just mentioned 'his' name !! [-(

he's soooooooooo like last year...

these guys are like so in right now and they are so like hot....

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They like totally make me LOL with ROFLcopters until I like get a text from my bestie and we go out and get glammed up- WHAT AM I SAYING?! \

*slaps self*
    b-(
  • Dimi, please don't mention Justin Bieber at any time....

DC, you are so right. Even reading Justine Boober's name (see, I didn't say it) makes my eyeballs hurt. His music? Makes my ears bleed. Even my kids, his demographic, don't think much of him or own any of his records. But they do like Adele. So there you go!

• I still want Bassey and Paul McCartney in the ending credits as a salute to the Brits, for this anniversary film. I am okay with Adele for the theme song - I just want a really darn good theme song for a change! It's been so long ...

I don't know about that, I thought You Know My Name was a great Bond song, and not too long before we had TWINE, which I also liked.

Agreed, YKMN was a fantastic theme song. It feels very Bondian to me.

4Ever, that's a great idea you've got there. Unfortunately, while I think we could see both theme and end titles sung by a Brit and it would IMO be quite fitting, I don't have a lot of confidence at times in whoever makes the decision of what the title song will be. They've managed to mess it up royally twice now in 2002 and 2008, and they could have had Bassey and No Good About Goodbye instead of "Whoa oh oh oh oh" which forces me to cover my ears every time. Sorely missed in this home are the days when I couldn't wait to hear what John Barry came up with next.
  • I like what David Arnold has done since he's been at the helm. I don't think there are many others who would have dealt with the music so sympathetically. I think the temptation to change it and put a personal stamp on it would have been too great for many people.
    However, in my view the last great Bond theme was A View To A Kill and that's too long. What I want is a song that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. This third film feels like a big deal to me. QOS got ton of stick in the media for being average which I thought was unfair. Shirley belting out a massive, orchestral number would be tick a lot of boxes. I don't think we need to worry about the pre-teens as a fanbase. They probably don't even know who James Bond is anyway!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I like what David Arnold has done since he's been at the helm. I don't think there are many others who would have dealt with the music so sympathetically. I think the temptation to change it and put a personal stamp on it would have been too great for many people.
    However, in my view the last great Bond theme was A View To A Kill and that's too long. What I want is a song that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. This third film feels like a big deal to me. QOS got ton of stick in the media for being average which I thought was unfair. Shirley belting out a massive, orchestral number would be tick a lot of boxes. I don't think we need to worry about the pre-teens as a fanbase. They probably don't even know who James Bond is anyway!

In general, I've liked what Arnold has done with the theme songs. But in the last 5 films he scored, he only got YKMN and TWINE. "Surrender" was relegated sadly to the end title, and while Crow's song is still much better than the dreck I mentioned in my last post, the Arnold/Lang collaboration destroys it. It just screams Barry and I love it. I am surprised that one didn't raise a few hairs for you but if you're differentiating it from the the title themes, I understand.

Unfortunately, Arnold's sympathy for the Barry legacy and the "Bond sound" he created has been viewed by some as a "pastiche" rather than for what it is, which is mostly fitting for the series. The last time someone tried to go out on their own with their idea of Bondian music and ignored the legacy, it was an abject failure. I pray Newman is able to embrace Barry, Martin, and Arnold and bring that sort of sound to the film rather than artsy-fartsy crap that has no soul.

I like what David Arnold has done since he's been at the helm. I don't think there are many others who would have dealt with the music so sympathetically. I think the temptation to change it and put a personal stamp on it would have been too great for many people.

In general, I've liked what Arnold has done with the theme songs. But in the last 5 films he scored, he only got YKMN and TWINE. "Surrender" was relegated sadly to the end title, and while Crow's song is still much better than the dreck I mentioned in my last post, the Arnold/Lang collaboration destroys it. It just screams Barry and I love it. I am surprised that one didn't raise a few hairs for you but if you're differentiating it from the the title themes, I understand.

Unfortunately, Arnold's sympathy for the Barry legacy and the "Bond sound" he created has been viewed by some as a "pastiche" rather than for what it is, which is mostly fitting for the series. The last time someone tried to go out on their own with their idea of Bondian music and ignored the legacy, it was an abject failure. I pray Newman is able to embrace Barry, Martin, and Arnold and bring that sort of sound to the film rather than artsy-fartsy crap that has no soul.

Thomas Newman is probably the classiest composer the series has had since John back on TLD, so rest ashore guys!! David Arnold is the typical modern day Film Composer, the i tunes of composers if you wish!? And has at times really pulled it off!? Newman is a different ball game Composer, his musical knowledge and out right respect for Bond Music DNA is fully apparent!! He along with BB-SM & DC, know exactly where the sound of the film will come from and the mix of old and new Orchestration blending with the outstanding visuals will truly excite you all!! Its all going to be Bond with a capital "B".... Have faith Sirs... Its shaping up very nicely!!? :-B
    he's soooooooooo like last year...

these guys are like so in right now and they are so like hot....

LOL ! and there isn't just one singer in 1D... but 4 !!

It won't be Adele. She's taking a year off to rest her voice. She's had all sorts of throat problems.

I think you've missed the recent news items, Mish...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/03/adele-new-single

There will be a new single from Adele released coincidently the same time as Skyfall.
  • When do they usually announce who is singing the theme song? Is June pretty late? This is why I have a feeling there is no song and maybe just a score playing over the credit sequence...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Found myself watching a bunch of interviews with people affiliated with the James Bond series last night, namely Grace Jones and Shirley Bassey, and they both look incredible for their age.
    Grace Jones looks incredible.... for his age. =))
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    MrEon wrote:

Thomas Newman is probably the classiest composer the series has had since John back on TLD, so rest ashore guys!! David Arnold is the typical modern day Film Composer, the i tunes of composers if you wish!? And has at times really pulled it off!? Newman is a different ball game Composer, his musical knowledge and out right respect for Bond Music DNA is fully apparent!! He along with BB-SM & DC, know exactly where the sound of the film will come from and the mix of old and new Orchestration blending with the outstanding visuals will truly excite you all!! Its all going to be Bond with a capital "B".... Have faith Sirs... Its shaping up very nicely!!? :-B

@MrEON I'm really starting to think that you're Thomas Newman, or at least that you know him. Or maybe your name is some sort of hint, do you work on Bond films?

Anyway I liked Arnold and I'm very disappointed he's not in SF. Fingers crossed for Bond 24.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, @JamesPage is MGW, so anything is possible.