No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    They’re probably drained financially in the marketing department. I’ll be curious to see if they start any kind of marketing come late summer, depending on where we are with the pandemic.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Well I guess that would confirm the theory that “ James Bond” is indeed a code name.
    😉
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    They’re probably drained financially in the marketing department. I’ll be curious to see if they start any kind of marketing come late summer, depending on where we are with the pandemic.

That is another one of those "nobody knows how things will work" parts. If they manage the calendar exactly right and NTTD is the first blockbuster out of the gate when a large enough crowd is willing to go back to the cinema it could work out free media (meaning not advertisements) will basically do their job for them, building hype.
    The problem is, that I more and more believe that this moment they would have to hit perfectly, will not happen. You're either first or you wait until the number of people willing to go to the theatre is large enough. There will be a long in-between period.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Regarding the Aston Martin replicas used in Matera. One guy who was present during the shoot wrote to me on twitter:

- Engine: old BMW M3 (6 cyl 343 hp) engine and running gear.

- They destroyed the ancient pavement in Matera. So Avon developed special tires with almost no grip. Car was uncontrollable.

(That's why stunt co-ordinator Lee Morrison used cola for the grip)

- All the Replica’s were drive by wire. So the stunt driver was in the play seat on top driving the car. Daniel Craig acting inside the car. I talked to one of the game console programmers that made the software to control the car.

- All the Replica’s are sold for over € 1.5 Mio.

- One original was from the Museum and was the actual one used by Sean Connery. That one was fitted with all the special effects, and another one just for driving. Normal tires, no ‘drive-by-wire’ and no crashing please.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm surprised that they would tinker with the Connery car.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Nah that sounds a bit fishy in places. Clearly not all of the replicas are drive-by-wire as we've seen plenty driven from the driving seat (there's a photo of Mark Higgins sat in one on this page!); also I don't think Eon own any of the Connery cars so that's pretty unlikely too.
    I also doubt that any of the replicas have been sold, not into private hands anyway; I don't think Aston would want them being out there.
    Also I don't see why they'd fit gadgets to an original car when they've got replicas which are more cost-effective to cut up and tinker with. The one on show at Bond in Motion was a replica, wasn't it?

On that subject, one thing that is quite interesting about those roof-pod drive-by-wire cars is that of course the steering wheel doesn't centre itself like a normal car does, so that makes driving them just that bit harder.
    https://etcanada.com/video/e70b79f8-6264-11eb-ad5e-0242ac110002/ralph-fiennes-frustrated-he-hasnt-seen-no-time-to-die/

Ralph Fiennes reportedly stating he hasn't seen the new Bond so far, but from the script he read is a very strong story.
    I thought it was a "privilege" all the main actors involved had
    edited February 2021 Posts: 3,018
    mtm wrote: »
    Nah that sounds a bit fishy in places. Clearly not all of the replicas are drive-by-wire as we've seen plenty driven from the driving seat (there's a photo of Mark Higgins sat in one on this page!); also I don't think Eon own any of the Connery cars so that's pretty unlikely too.
    I also doubt that any of the replicas have been sold, not into private hands anyway; I don't think Aston would want them being out there.
    Also I don't see why they'd fit gadgets to an original car when they've got replicas which are more cost-effective to cut up and tinker with. The one on show at Bond in Motion was a replica, wasn't it?

On that subject, one thing that is quite interesting about those roof-pod drive-by-wire cars is that of course the steering wheel doesn't centre itself like a normal car does, so that makes driving them just that bit harder.

Info comes from crew members he spoke with. That's all I know. He also sent me a bunch of stills but nothing new really. Mostly AM's

We know that EON bought one vintage 1964 some years ago, and that was used for normal driving in Matera. And the other one must come from London Film Museum, maybe once driven by Connery. But if they fit gadgets on either one of the vintage cars, that's the question.

And I have one or two stills of the replica interior with weird wires. Maybe they had it in a few cars.
    https://etcanada.com/video/e70b79f8-6264-11eb-ad5e-0242ac110002/ralph-fiennes-frustrated-he-hasnt-seen-no-time-to-die/

Ralph Fiennes reportedly stating he hasn't seen the new Bond so far, but from the script he read is a very strong story. I thought it was a "privilege" all the main actors involved had

“No, I’m bit frustrated, because I wanted to see it, but they get so secretive about it. I’m told it’s very good. I’m told Cary Fukanaga has done a great job. Daniel of course is great Bond. The story is great. Strong. I know that from the script.”
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Contraband wrote: »

Info comes from crew members he spoke with. That's all I know.

Yeah that's cool, I just get the feeling he's crossed some wires.
    We know that EON bought one vintage 1964 some years ago, and that was used for normal driving in Matera. And the other one must come from London Film Museum, maybe once driven by Connery. But if they fit gadgets on either one of the vintage cars, that's the question.

There's a thread here with a list of the DB5s used, it's quite interesting, but the dreadful search function means I don't know where it is(!). I think one of the (two?) stunt cars they bought for GoldenEye they kept and got restored properly, and that turned into the 'hero' car of the Craig films. I have a vague memory that they might have got another one for Skyfall but I can't remember, it may have been lent to them.

I don't believe the Film Museum ever had a Connery car: I think the one they had was the hero car from GoldenEye which was owned by a private owner. They may have fitted some gadgets to a real one but I can't think of any reason why they would.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 3,018

Info comes from crew members he spoke with. That's all I know.

Yeah that's cool, I just get the feeling he's crossed some wires.

There's a thread here with a list of the DB5s used, it's quite interesting, but the dreadful search function means I don't know where it is(!). I think one of the (two?) stunt cars they bought for GoldenEye they kept and got restored properly, and that turned into the 'hero' car of the Craig films. I have a vague memory that they might have got another one for Skyfall but I can't remember, it may have been lent to them.

I don't believe the Film Museum ever had a Connery car: I think the one they had was the hero car from GoldenEye which was owned by a private owner. They may have fitted some gadgets to a real one but I can't think of any reason why they would.

Yeah I don't know. Maybe someone else can sort things out about the museum car etc... if that's true at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    New stills from Matera. At least new to me. First still: stunt driver/Bond double Ben Higgins and Lea's stunt double Jessica Hooker.
    7pUe1Id.jpg
    oxGr2zl.jpg
    8RQE0ek.jpg

Oh wow I just realised these photos show lots of little rifles aimed at the windows of the car, presumably to create bullet impacts in the 'bulletproof' glass!

Ah, I've found the thread about the DB5s used in the films (thanks to Google, not the site's own search!): https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/8759/an-unfinished-history-of-all-the-james-bond-aston-martins/p1
    New stills from Matera. At least new to me. First still: stunt driver/Bond double Ben Higgins and Lea's stunt double Jessica Hooker.
    7pUe1Id.jpg
    oxGr2zl.jpg
    8RQE0ek.jpg

Oh wow I just realised these photos show lots of little rifles aimed at the windows of the car, presumably to create bullet impacts in the 'bulletproof' glass!

Ah, I've found the thread about the DB5s used in the films (thanks to Google, not the site's own search!): https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/8759/an-unfinished-history-of-all-the-james-bond-aston-martins/p1

Yeah I saw that as well with the mini sfx-rifles. Pretty cool

Cars: So the claim with 1,5 million euro sales could be true after all... going by the old sales in that thread
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    7pUe1Id.jpg
    oxGr2zl.jpg
    8RQE0ek.jpg

Cars: So the claim with 1,5 million euro sales could be true after all... going by the old sales in that thread

Well those are real cars being sold, not replicas. And considering how tight Aston are about replicas I'm not sure I buy that they've been sold.
    Maybe he was getting mixed up with the Goldfinger continuation cars?
    7pUe1Id.jpg
    oxGr2zl.jpg
    8RQE0ek.jpg

Well those are real cars being sold, not replicas. And considering how tight Aston are about replicas I'm not sure I buy that they've been sold.
    Maybe he was getting mixed up with the Goldfinger continuation cars?

Perhaps you're right about mixed up. He was just a british bystander/tourist chatting with some of the tech members..

Don't know if you have seen this, from nov 2020:

Acclaimed Filmmaker and NYU Alumnus Cary Joji Fukunaga Creates Production Grant to Support Student Filmmakers

NYU Tisch School of the Arts today announced the creation of a new production grant from NYU alumnus, director, writer, and cinematographer Cary Joji Fukunaga. The grant has been created to support historically underrepresented voices and to promote BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or people of color) stories in the film industry. It will be awarded to a student in the Graduate Film program to fund their thesis film—a vehicle that often helps graduating students launch their filmmaking careers—and includes a mentorship component.

The $20,000 production grant will be awarded in the spring of 2021 to a student who has demonstrated financial need and as a requirement of the grant, the award recipient will participate as a mentor in the Cary Fukunaga Production Award Mentorship program with mentees selected from NYU Tisch Future Artists participants. Future Artists is a free arts education program for New York City high school students taught by Tisch’s renowned faculty and is designed for groups that are historically underrepresented in media.

For Fukunaga, the mentorship program was a requisite factor in the creation of the production award. He wanted to ensure that aspiring filmmakers would have access to film sets, hands-on experience, and witness creatives with similar backgrounds and experiences who are on their way to achieving their goals.

article con't..

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2020/november/acclaimed-filmmaker-and-nyu-alumnus-cary-joji-fukunaga-creates-p.html
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,548
    Got my first dose of the vaccine this morning. The clinician told me that here in Arizona, the estimate is that 10% of the public has been vaccinated and that we need to get to 70% before things can get back to "normal." I'm going to assume that our state's situation is about the norm. It has taken us almost two months to get to 10%, so the math doesn't bode well to get to 70% by September and for NTTD. But much of that is due to slow rollout of the vaccine distribution. With increasing efficiency, we might get there. Fingers crossed.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 1,314
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55921815

Worth reading for anyone left who still thinks this is going away quickly, despite vaccinations.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 440
    I don't think anyone has claimed that vaccinations will make this go away overnight. The point of the vaccines is to hopefully slow down the rate of infection to free up hospitals and make the illness more manageable.

COVID will never go away, but once we've contained it and gotten the infection rate down, we'll adapt to it as we've adapted to dozens of other seasonal illnesses over the years.

Afterall, pre-pandemic, the flu was still killing around 650,000 people a year and we seemed to cope just fine. I do genuinely hope that higher hygiene standards in public areas and mask-wearing don't fully go away, though.
    Don't think this long interview has been posted before. From feb 2020. Cast, Cary and Michael/Babs

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's fun, thanks.

It's funny, are there any other films where the producers get interviewed as part of the publicity? :)
    I don't think anyone has claimed that vaccinations will make this go away overnight. The point of the vaccines is to hopefully slow down the rate of infection to free up hospitals and make the illness more manageable.

COVID will never go away, but once we've contained it and gotten the infection rate down, we'll adapt to it as we've adapted to dozens of other seasonal illnesses over the years.

Afterall, pre-pandemic, the flu was still killing around 650,000 people a year and we seemed to cope just fine. I do genuinely hope that higher hygiene standards in public areas and mask-wearing don't fully go away, though.

Precisely.
    That's fun, thanks.

It's funny, are there any other films where the producers get interviewed as part of the publicity? :)

I would say Jerry Bruckheimer is doing the PR tour with every film he produces.
    There’s this small time producer called Kevin Feige.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 2,436
    Matt007 wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55921815

Worth reading for anyone left who still thinks this is going away quickly, despite vaccinations.

'However, there is hope the vaccine would still be very effective at preventing serious illness and hospital admissions.' This is is the main thing, preventing deaths and stress on the health service.
  • TripAces wrote: »

Precisely.

This is it - Covid will be with us, it's not going away just as flu is still with us. We will not eradicate it. What matters is seriously bringing down the risk of death and hospitalisation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don't think I know what he looks like though! :) Does he go on publicity tours?
    TripAces wrote: »

Precisely.

This is it - Covid will be with us, it's not going away just as flu is still with us. We will not eradicate it. What matters is seriously bringing down the risk of death and hospitalisation.

Correct. Viruses do not simply go away. We know how to treat this; the key is making sure we don't have 80-90% capacity at our hospitals.
  • There’s this small time producer called Kevin Feige.

Keep an eye on that chap. I think he has a bright future.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    octofinger wrote: »

Keep an eye on that chap. I think he has a bright future.

When the October delay was announced, a since banned user suggested bringing Feige into Eon "to bring some order to EONs house". Still one of the funniest things I've seen on here.