The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• @mtm I can't imagine M sanctioned it, but I suppose Bond was on good enough terms with most of MI6 to be able to call in favors.
  • Watching TSWLM today I realised there's no real explanation for how Stromberg is able to disable the subs. We know how he tracks them, and that seems to be the focus of the discussion, but I couldn't find any mention or explanation for how he disables them. I can hazard a few guesses how he might do it, but is there anything I’ve missed to point to an explanation in-film?

I'm also puzzling over this one now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    Here's a question: in OHMSS, who does Campbell work for?

Bernard-Horsfall-in-OHMSS.jpg

The obvious answer is that he's an MI6 agent, but when we first see him he's in Bern on one of Draco's building sites, where he helps to pass Bond a massive safecracker/photocopier. But Bond at this point in the story has 'gone rogue' (as everyone who complains about Daniel Craig films says): he's on two-weeks leave from MI6 and M has taken him off the Bedlam case, so this isn't an official MI6 action.
    So has Bond somehow tricked Campbell into working with him, or does Campbell simply just work for Draco? He's on his building site, after all; and it doesn't seem likely Bond would have been able to get the photocopier from Q if he was supposed to be on leave.

According to the JB Encyclopedia (Cork & Stutz) he's an MI6 agent. Regarding the 'gone rogue' bit, I always thought of that as 'unofficial official' business (with M's little 'what would I do without you Moneypenny' quote) in the same way as the sabbatical in TMWTGG and the two weeks leave to Rio in MR. This didn't stop Q branch providing Bond with the souped up speedboat or the third nipple so I guess Campbell is similarly 'helping nudge nudge wink wink' Bond. But I suppose there's not enough in the film to decide for sure either way.

Bond is back on side when he gets the nipple though: he's met M on the QE1 and everything by then. Was the boat a Q thing? He just stole it, didn't he?

Campbell is MI6 in the book I believe, but I think the additions in the film actually make it more likely he works for Draco, even though we never see him with the rest of Draco's guys and he is English, unlike them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Watching TSWLM today I realised there's no real explanation for how Stromberg is able to disable the subs. We know how he tracks them, and that seems to be the focus of the discussion, but I couldn't find any mention or explanation for how he disables them. I can hazard a few guesses how he might do it, but is there anything I’ve missed to point to an explanation in-film?

Damned good point: the macguffin is all about tracking them, but I don't remember any mention of the disabling method. Seems to be some sort of sonic thing..?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,879
    After the US submarine is hijacked/docked, there is a line of dialogue which may be the only clue to how the subs are immobilized:

"S-ray programme completed. Magnetic field shut down. All systems normal."
  • Here’s something that’s been driving me mad. I distinctly remember reading, as a child, that “007 in New York” features Bond meeting Trigger from TLD and then pushing her off a building. Now obviously there’s nothing like that in that story, or anywhere in Fleming's works. So I’d love to know if that’s something that happens in a post-Fleming work, or where on earth I got that idea from. I can find nothing like it online.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Bond is back on side when he gets the nipple though: he's met M on the QE1 and everything by then. Was the boat a Q thing? He just stole it, didn't he?

Campbell is MI6 in the book I believe, but I think the additions in the film actually make it more likely he works for Draco, even though we never see him with the rest of Draco's guys and he is English, unlike them.

Of course, I'm getting my scenes in the wrong order with MWTGG. I was thinking of the Rio boat in MR which I guess Q supplied, but whereas I think it's pretty clear M is 'unofficially sanctioning' Bond in GG and MR, I agree there's little to go on in OHMSS. I guess it's a case of go with which option fits each of us best?

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    QBranch wrote: »
    After the US submarine is hijacked/docked, there is a line of dialogue which may be the only clue to how the subs are immobilized:

"S-ray programme completed. Magnetic field shut down. All systems normal."

Oh interesting!! I shall listen out for that on my next watch. S-ray probably some sonic weapon, with a dose of magnetism thrown in for good 'spy-fi' luck??
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,879
    I always assumed the Stromberg tech was an EMP or HAARP-like high frequency radio wave.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    An oft confusing moment in Octopussy (though some would say there are plenty of confusing moments in OP ;) ) is the scene where Bond arrives at the circus in the Alfa.
    After smashing through the chain, the security officer gets on the radio.
    "Captain, some nut went through here in a stolen car. Wants the base commander. And he's wearing a red shirt!"
    The inclusion of the 'and he's wearing a red shirt' seems a little odd. And maybe it is. Though considering OP takes place during the Cold War, is it possible the guard is referring to the Red Communist flag, thinking Bond could be a nut from behind the Iron curtain?
    Though it could just be a way for the guys chasing Bond to know who they're looking for.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Benny wrote: »
    An oft confusing moment in Octopussy (though some would say there are plenty of confusing moments in OP ;) ) is the scene where Bond arrives at the circus in the Alfa.
    "Captain, some nut went through here in a stolen car. Wants the base commander. And he's wearing a red shirt!"
    The inclusion of the 'and he's wearing a red shirt' seems a little odd. And maybe it is. Though considering OP takes place during the Cold War, is it possible the guard is referring to the Red Communist flag, thinking Bond could be a nut from behind the Iron curtain?
    Though it could just be a way for the guys chasing Bond to know who they're looking for.

Is it not simply just so they can identify him more easily?
    Watching YOLT with my 11-yr old son for the first time, I reflected yet again how many utterly nonsensical moments there are -- particularly around Bond's fake death at the start.

But one thing struck me I hadn't considered before, regarding the US/USSR astronauts at the end. Do one or two of them die when Bond triggers the final explosion in space?

As I see it, they were captured but kept alive for some unknown reason. Bond infiltrates the lair and frees them. They knock out the intended astronauts, take their space suits and then go to launch. Bond messes up by taking his aircon on board, but the rocket then takes off. Who is flying it?

If it's good guys then their sacrifice appears to go unnoticed, and they could simply not have gone ahead with the whole mission anyway. If it's bad guys then I don't see how that's possible...

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

Is it not simply just so they can identify him more easily?

I've always thought the same myself. There were so many costumes and uniforms at the base so it was just police/security guard standard procedure I'd say. A "Last seen wearing..." sort of thing. It'd come from their training to describe the car, what the driver was wearing, the direction he drove in and what he stated was his business. I don't think it has anything to do with red being the colour of the Communists.
    Watching YOLT with my 11-yr old son for the first time, I reflected yet again how many utterly nonsensical moments there are -- particularly around Bond's fake death at the start.

But one thing struck me I hadn't considered before, regarding the US/USSR astronauts at the end. Do one or two of them die when Bond triggers the final explosion in space?

As I see it, they were captured but kept alive for some unknown reason. Bond infiltrates the lair and frees them. They knock out the intended astronauts, take their space suits and then go to launch. Bond messes up by taking his aircon on board, but the rocket then takes off. Who is flying it?

If it's good guys then their sacrifice appears to go unnoticed, and they could simply not have gone ahead with the whole mission anyway. If it's bad guys then I don't see how that's possible...

Any thought on this, anyone?
    This is what I'm seeing on screen:

Bond releases 3 good guy astronauts.
    2 good guy astronauts, along with Bond, dress as guards.
    The 3rd good guy astronaut disappears.
    The 3 'guards' enter change room A and knock out bad guy astronaut A.
    Bond exits change room A and boards the monorail.
    Bad guy astronaut B exits change room B and boards the monorail.
    Bond and bad guy astronaut B take the elevator up to the Bird1 cockpit.
    Bond is caught with his air con, and bad guy astronaut B boards Bird1.
    Reserve bad guy astronaut takes Bond's place.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    SPECTRE:
    Why is Hinx after Madeleine? Blofeld orders White to be killed. By the time Hinx arrives at White's place, he had already taken his own life and told Bond - who was only there because he overheard the SPECTRE meeting, which Blofeld seemingly wanted him to do - to keep his daughter Madeleine safe, if I recall correctly. Why is she in danger in the first place? As a bait for Bond? Because she might be able to find Blofeld through a massively convoluted scavenger hunt, which still only lead them to a train station in the middle of nowhere, where Blofeld's chauffeur has to pick them up? Had Hinx not kidnapped her, Bond would have stayed longer at the clinic, trying to convince the good Doctor that she has to change her cover and would have either succeeded or not and she would have told him that L'Americain is a hotel or not. And the whole thing basically stops dead in it's tracks.

How is UK national security policy apparently just completely turned on it's head in mere minutes mainly because the lead proponent of the changes dies in an accident/a fight with a political rival? There would be treaties with the other Nine Eyes countries, parliament has agreed to this (or at least the ISC, which Mallory used to chair), the Privy Council, the Queen! The built a whole new building in the middle of London for it!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited February 2021 Posts: 2,032
    @ImpertinentGoon

1) I agree it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but if youre after an “in movie” reason, then Hinx will have watched the Bond/White conversation, and known Bond was meeting Swann. Presumably he wants to take out Swann because she has an awareness of the organisation and is the last link in the ‘Pale King’ saga, and also she can spill the beans to Bond, which they dont want.

2) My understanding it that the whole Nine Eyes thing is already in place and at least partially operational, the Tokyo meeting was like a final sign off. Once South Africa (I think) agreed it was already good to go.

We as fans give these things more attention than the writers did, at least.
    Mallory wrote: »
    @ImpertinentGoon

1) I agree it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but if youre after an “in movie” reason, then Hinx will have watched the Bond/White conversation, and known Bond was meeting Swann. Presumably he wants to take out Swann because she has an awareness of the organisation and is the last link in the ‘Pale King’ saga, and also she can spill the beans to Bond, which they dont want.

2) My understanding it that the whole Nine Eyes thing is already in place and at least partially operational, the Tokyo meeting was like a final sign off. Once South Africa (I think) agreed it was already good to go.

We as fans give these things more attention than the writers did, at least.

To 1) I guess the explanation (apart from: it is how Madeleine is introduced) is indeed that they want to snuff out everything concerning the pale king. Which leads back to the question: Would Hinx have found her/been aware of her had Bond not gone to White's place? I guess he would have, as he finds White independent of Bond, so he would have possibly pressed her whereabouts out if him.

To 2) I was being slightly facetious. I know that these kinds of things are just movie logic.. I still find it kind of funny that apparently the entire national security apparatus of a nuclear power is run on the whims of like three men (which is arguably quite Flemingesque, as I believe he has some description of M where he basically calls him the embodiment of the British intelligence apparatus or something like it).
    I think the idea is that when someone leaves SPECTRE, their family are killed as well as a way of tying up loose ends. This is the whole reason Lucia is in danger after Marco Sciarra's death, and the conversation at his funeral about Bond offering "life insurance":

"I hear the life expectancy of some widows can be very short".

In the same way, Mr White attempts to hide Madeleine's existence because he knows that when he dies they will go after her.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    "Its name is SPECTRE." She knows. And they know she knows.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Speaking of Madeleine...

When Lea and the others auditioned for the role, Mendes used a scene from SF. Does anyone know which scene that would be?
    I think the idea is that when someone leaves SPECTRE, their family are killed as well as a way of tying up loose ends. This is the whole reason Lucia is in danger after Marco Sciarra's death, and the conversation at his funeral about Bond offering "life insurance":

"I hear the life expectancy of some widows can be very short".

In the same way, Mr White attempts to hide Madeleine's existence because he knows that when he dies they will go after her.

Good point. Never put two and two together there. Thank you.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    On the subject of Madeline Swann and her dad Mr White, someone pointed out on another forum something that I'd never twigged: that Swans are indeed White! :D
    On the subject of Madeline Swann and her dad Mr White, someone pointed out on another forum something that I'd never twigged: that Swans are indeed White! :D

mlo5lo6ds2rr.png

You've obviously never heard of Australia's Black Swans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, we have a few of those here, but they're called 'black swans' because most are white! :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I suppose they're the swan equivalent of the "black sheep" of the family. ;)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Speaking of Madeleine...

When Lea and the others auditioned for the role, Mendes used a scene from SF. Does anyone know which scene that would be?

I would guess, to test their chemistry, the shaving scene.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am thinking either that, or Bond s first meeting with Severine. Don t know what else could possibly fit.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    In LTK, how does Felix operate a parachute, or indeed pull the ripcord, when holding a top hat in each hand? :D
    In LTK, how does Felix operate a parachute, or indeed pull the ripcord, when holding a top hat in each hand? :D

Good point, and one I have pondered at times. Also, how did they not get ripped from his hands during his initial freefall, before somehow opening his chute.