FOR YOUR VOTES ONLY - MI6 folk helped a band of Bond creatives determine the best Bond films

CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
in Bond Movies Posts: 292
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/biggest-007-fans-choose-best-james-bond-movie-104936385.html

Thanks to those that left their best Bond films a few months back. All results joined the experts, authors and commentators to help Yahoo Movies determine the best, favourite and less best Bond films.

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Interesting read. However, I wonder how it is possible that Dr. No is ranked as Nr. 21?? How was this counted?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,548
    Some interesting selections/results..
    Goldeneye #1 among fans/scholars? Really? QoS and SP are at the bottom? Moonraker ahead of YOLT and TB? Shocking.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I, too, am surprised to see Dr. No ranked so low on the Scholars/Fans’ ranking. That said “recency bias” – both pro and con – may have played some role in this.

The top ten is – generally – more or less along the same lines as my own (except I would have place YOLT instead of LTK). Beyond the top ten, my own ranking tends to change significantly depending on my mood and the last film that I watched. The top five (5) among scholars, however, is spot on to this OHMSS fan!
    I have a hard time taking any poll seriously that places GE at the very top that supposedly represents the takes of scholars and "superfans." I realize it brought the series back after the 6-year gap in a big way, that the game brought a lot of new fans to the series and it's generally considered the best of the Brosnan era. It earns some good will, but no. 1?
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 6,844
    Depends on the ratio of fans to scholars, I suppose. You’ll note GoldenEye didn’t place in the scholars’ top 5 (but presumably still high enough to achieve an overall placement of #1). GoldenEye is generally well rated and well noted for being the Bond that defined the 90s, revived the series, and ushered in a whole new generation of fans, many of whom presumably cast their votes here. For moviegoers of a certain age, even those with only a passing interest in the series or no real interest at all, when asked which Bond film they like best or would most prefer to watch the answer is almost unequivocally GoldenEye. The only surprise for me here would be if this particular age group was considerably underrepresented in the polling.

(And does anybody else really want to know what Robert Davi’s #2 favorite Bond film is now?) :D
    Depends on the ratio of fans to scholars, I suppose. You’ll note GoldenEye didn’t place in the scholars’ top 5 (but presumably still high enough to achieve an overall placement of #1). GoldenEye is generally well rated and well noted for being the Bond that defined the 90s, revived the series, and ushered in a whole new generation of fans, many of whom presumably cast their votes here. For moviegoers of a certain age, even those with only a passing interest in the series or no real interest at all, when asked which Bond film they like best or would most prefer to watch the answer is almost unequivocally GoldenEye. The only surprise for me here would be if this particular age group was considerably underrepresented in the polling.

(And does anybody else really want to know what Robert Davi’s #2 favorite Bond film is now?) :D
    But these are the things that mystify me. I did acknowledge the things you did, but this wasn't about the casual fan or those with passing interest. And given so, I can't recall another poll that places GE at no. 1, nonetheless one that combines those two categories of scholars and superfans. I even got curious to check out aggregate sites like Rotten Tomatoes and at least 4 other Bonds rank above GE and same with IMDB. GE has solid ratings but not close to the top.

GE, no question a clear choice among most superfans, casual fans and likely scholars for the best Brosnan film and a good film in the series. But when you put it against the first 3 Connerys, OHMSS, TSWLM, CR and SF, it just makes this poll sound unconvincing in its metrics, all things considered.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2021 Posts: 17,727
    TripAces wrote: »
    Some interesting selections/results..
    Goldeneye #1 among fans/scholars? Really? QoS and SP are at the bottom? Moonraker ahead of YOLT and TB? Shocking.
    I agree. "Shocking. Positively shocking." ;)
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Nearly 2.5k people gave their best Bond films - including the GOLDENEYE generation of Bond fans who tend to be the demographic also who frequent social media corridors and take in global watchalongs with cast and crew celebrating Bond '95's silver anniversary. The findings also saw a lot of fun Bond films being emancipated from fan shepherding and supposed consensus. For a younger Bond film to be favoured says a lot about how 007's future is built on the next generation.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    And everyone who got involved was a fan. Everyone is a super fan.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks @CatchingBullets. I really like the nice touch of having everyone create a "pose" for their top five!