NTTD & Corona

Comments

Vaccines are here. Now. There’s 35 million people in front of me in the UK. I’m probably not going to get my first jab till august and my second some time after that. So really you could have had your jab three weeks ago but still be in a position where it’s unsafe for others if you mingle as before for at least 6 months.

That’s at least 6 months before we vaccinate everyone. Add to that the take up won’t be 100%, the possibility of diminished effectiveness due to mutations and evolution.

And that’s before we even consider the uneven rate of vaccinations worldwide and the impact that will have on getting back to 2019 type travel, holidays and living

So as you can see vaccines are ultimately the best way out, but in the medium to long term. Certainly not 2 months
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Genuine question: why would social distancing be useful even after everyone is vaccinated?

After everyone - and I mean the vast majority enough to generate herd immunity - is vaccinated, it won't be, yes.

But there's still some distance between getting your first shot of the vaccine and then the full protection of both doses coming into force. And then you take into account differences in the speed of countries' vaccine rollouts... And also, bringing cases down to a manageable enough level for test-trace to actually be functional.

And the other factor is any strains of the virus that are less susceptible to the vaccines currently being distributed, of course, scientists are working flat out to make sure they keep up and we're likely looking at yearly vaccinations for this reason.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Genuine question: why would social distancing be useful even after everyone is vaccinated?

After everyone - and I mean the vast majority enough to generate herd immunity - is vaccinated, it won't be, yes.

But there's still some distance between getting your first shot of the vaccine and then the full protection of both doses coming into force. And then you take into account differences in the speed of countries' vaccine rollouts... And also, bringing cases down to a manageable enough level for test-trace to actually be functional.

And the other factor is any strains of the virus that are less susceptible to the vaccines currently being distributed, of course, scientists are working flat out to make sure they keep up and we're likely looking at yearly vaccinations for this reason.

This explains why Germany are predicting 5 years before we are out of this mess.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Vaccines are here. Now. There’s 35 million people in front of me in the UK. I’m probably not going to get my first jab till august and my second some time after that. So really you could have had your jab three weeks ago but still be in a position where it’s unsafe for others if you mingle as before for at least 6 months.

That’s at least 6 months before we vaccinate everyone. Add to that the take up won’t be 100%, the possibility of diminished effectiveness due to mutations and evolution.

And that’s before we even consider the uneven rate of vaccinations worldwide and the impact that will have on getting back to 2019 type travel, holidays and living

So as you can see vaccines are ultimately the best way out, but in the medium to long term. Certainly not 2 months

I'm predicting August/September before I get my first jab. And then end of the year before I get my second, which takes me into this time next year before I am ok walking round without fear of catching the virus.

That's why I have to laugh when I read these ridiculous comments that this will be all done and dusted in 2 months time, and planet earth is fully back to normal again.

Once Covid has disappeared, the world will look a little different. Industries are starting to find newer, cheaper ways of doing business without hiring office space, hospitality and travel, and still make a profit (including the industry I work in). There is no way they will return back to how things were pre Covid. We are seeing the way of living transforming around us now, and life before 2020 will soon be consigned to the history books.
    I'm predicting August/September before I get my first jab. And then end of the year before I get my second.

The time between the first and second jab can only be around 3 weeks. Otherwise the vaccine will not work.
    When you get the first jab, you already have the date for the second.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I'm predicting August/September before I get my first jab. And then end of the year before I get my second.

The time between the first and second jab can only be around 3 weeks. Otherwise the vaccine will not work.

BC has released our dates and I am indeed scheduled for August/September. And yeah more info has since come out about the second shot so should indeed be shortly thereafter.

Not sure where you are getting 3 weeks from. It's 3 months.

My wife had her first jab a few weeks ago (she's a dentist), and no news yet of when she will receive her second, but she was told it would be 12 weeks after the first.
  • Matt007 wrote: »

I'm predicting August/September before I get my first jab. And then end of the year before I get my second, which takes me into this time next year before I am ok walking round without fear of catching the virus.

That's why I have to laugh when I read these ridiculous comments that this will be all done and dusted in 2 months time, and planet earth is fully back to normal again.

Once Covid has disappeared, the world will look a little different. Industries are starting to find newer, cheaper ways of doing business without hiring office space, hospitality and travel, and still make a profit (including the industry I work in). There is no way they will return back to how things were pre Covid. We are seeing the way of living transforming around us now, and life before 2020 will soon be consigned to the history books.

Who's said we will be back to normal in 2 months?

Not sure where you are getting 3 weeks from. It's 3 months.

My wife had her first jab a few weeks ago (she's a dentist), and no news yet of when she will receive her second, but she was told it would be 12 weeks after the first.

3 weeks is for the german/american vaccine Biontech/Pfizer:

https://m.businesstoday.in/story/covid-19-vaccine-who-recommends-two-doses-of-pfizer-biontech-jab-in-21-28-days/1/427147.html

With Astraceneca you may be right:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/02/new-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-data-ease-worries-over-2nd-dose-delay
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,273
    Matt007 wrote: »

Who's said we will be back to normal in 2 months?

This is a quote from you - `The government is talking about things getting back to normal after Easter,' without even the slightest hint that you don't believe it, but instead endorse this outrageous claim.

When do you think we will be fully back to normal then?
  • I said START getting back to normal.
    I said START getting back to normal.

If START means lockdowns will be eased by Easter, then I totally agree with you. I think they will be. It won't be normal, as in 2019 normal though.

But if you are saying after Easter there will never be another lockdown ever again, then I don't agree with you. I think we will be going into another period of tiers later in the year, while the vaccine is still being rolled out, and battling with other strains.

I said START getting back to normal.

If START means lockdowns will be eased by Easter, then I totally agree with you. I think they will be. It won't be normal, as in 2019 normal though.

But if you are saying after Easter there will never be another lockdown ever again, then I don't agree with you. I think we will be going into another period of tiers later in the year, while the vaccine is still being rolled out, and battling with other strains.

Depending on what you mean by "2019 normal", it'll never be back.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 348
    Maybe in a few years from now but that's pushing it at the moment.
    I'm only 28 myself so I probably won't get my first dose until the Autumn (and that's being optimistic about the speed of the rollout in the UK).
    Nice.

Nice.

Hopefully restrictions will ease back off again soon. I'm missing restaurants and my place in Spain.

• Nice.

Hopefully restrictions will ease back off again soon. I'm missing restaurants and my place in Spain.

I'm missing the cinema!
  • So am I (and the theatre)! They're the only 2 things that I really am missing during all of this madness.
    So am I (and the theatre)! They're the only 2 things that I really am missing during all of this madness.

Same here.
    Not really missing the cinema.I used to love it but i dont go nearly as often because there is always some idiot with their phone out.Its expensive and the nearest decent cinema to me is nearly an hours drive away from me.

I would prefer to watch NTTD when it comes out at home.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I miss the cinema, too. Though, my local cinema is not really very good. I became accustomed to making the effort to travel an hour to my favourite one, and never had a bad experience there. It means I only go once every few weeks though, maybe 14-15 times a year in total.
    So do I. I miss going to the movies, or to see a musical or a play or a concert. These are among the things that allow me to get through the day. I long for the day I can return to the theaters safely. But I guess it won't happen this year. Or the next.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Same, although my local cinema is all right but the one that i like takes more than an hour to get there.
    Gerard wrote: »
    So do I. I miss going to the movies, or to see a musical or a play or a concert. These are among the things that allow me to get through the day. I long for the day I can return to the theaters safely. But I guess it won't happen this year. Or the next.

Cinemas are actually the safest places you can be when going out right now ( Even though they are currently closed where i am ).I saw Tenet and WW84 at the theater last year and had a good experience with both.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    While I’m not a frequent cinema attendee, I do miss it and I’ve even taken to fantasizing about what my “return to cinema” movie should be (NTTD or an old classic?). There is just “something” about it that you can’t duplicate at home.

Is it seeing an Oscar worthy movie? No, not really. In fact, my best movie going experience of 2019 was a Monday evening screening of “The Creature From the Black Lagoon” (1954) in 3D. And while it is a B-movie classic, it was hardly an Oscar contender. Is it the popcorn and soda pop? No, not really (BTW: one of my favorite cinemas here in New York City is offering “movie theater” style popcorn for pickup!).

It is I think (IMO) and what I miss the most, a chance to view a movie with a packed house of other enthusiasts. The aforementioned screening was a near sellout and everyone could recite the dialogue by heart and laugh at the same scenes.

In short, it was a fun evening and a chance to do something other than go to and from work. And hopefully those opportunities will come again.

** Ricou Browning who played the “Creature” (it the underwater scenes), also directed underwater scenes in Thunderball. And of course, you had Julie Adams 😊!!!
    I love going to the cinema but my experience last year wasn't that great. The only film I managed to see was Tenet - twice.

The first time was at Vue, where they had tampered with the audio so it sounded terrible in the cinema. I complained and they admitted they had tweaked the volume as people had said it was too loud.

The second time was at a Showcase, which was a very nice cinema, brilliant seats, yet the cinema was completely empty. We were the only ones in, so there was no atmosphere at all - but at least the sound was good this time round.

Maybe the pandemic is setting a new precedent that staying at home to watching the likes of Netflix is more enjoyable than going out to the cinema. I hope not, but we really don't know what new trends are being set by these damned lockdowns, nor what position financially the cinemas will be end when we are through the other side, how many will have to close.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Cinemas are actually the safest places you can be when going out right now ( Even though they are currently closed where i am ).I saw Tenet and WW84 at the theater last year and had a good experience with both.

The cinema is closed here too now, because a virus has mutated, as they always do. It isn t considered a "necessary service".

And yet, the so called "Wine Monopoly", the State run strong alcohol sales outlets, are kept open.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 17,241

The cinema is closed here too now, because a virus has mutated, as they always do. It isn t considered a "necessary service".

And yet, the so called "Wine Monopoly", the State run strong alcohol sales outlets, are kept open.

My local cinema is open, and has been for the most part since mid May last year (a week or so in November and most of last month aside). The advantages of living in a smaller town, I guess. There hasn't been many films of interest available to see during that period though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

My local cinema is open, and has been for the most part since mid May last year (a week or so in November and most of last month aside). The advantages of living in a smaller town, I guess. There hasn't been many films of interest available to see during that period though.

Same. The only film I went to between the reopening in May and the reclosing last month, was Tenet.