R.I.P. A Final Farewell To Members Of The James Bond Family

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2021 Posts: 5,921
    royale65 wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. She deserves it. For years now, I've been told that AVTAK is an awesome film suffering from a terrible actress as the Bond girl. My opinion is that a lovely Bond girl was wasted to a subpar Bond film.

I would argue that neither Roberts nor the film is subpar, but I would also say that Roberts is better than the film. When people say her character is "whiny" or "weak" I think they're all referring to just one scene - the elevator sequence. And let's be honest, if I were trapped in a burning elevator, I'd be pretty whiny and weak, too. Other than that one scene, Stacey is resourceful, intelligent, and clever. Bond would never have worked out Zorin's scheme without her, nor would he have been able to stop it.

I've never understood the flack she got for the elevator sequence, myself. She perfectly portrays being terrified in that scene, and her character isn't used to that level of danger.
    Now if it had been Wai Lin in the elevator shaft screaming, I 'd have a problem with it.

I think its actually the air blimp sequence at the end that gives the character the reputation of being a bimbo.For crying out loud, the baddies sneak up on her with an AIR BLIMP and she still gets taken by surprise.And this is with Bond shouting '' STACY! BEHIND YOU! ''

I just assumed Stacey was deaf from that massive explosion.

Good idea.

Isn't this really John Glen's fault? Either put the temporarily deaf sound effect on the soundtrack, or show her running away from the blimp but them catching up to her (improbable but at least it shows awareness of the blimp).

She also makes up for it shortly thereafter. When she knocks Scarpine out with the fire extinguisher, it's one of her best moments in the film.

Good lord, I'm defending AVTAK. Welcome to 2021!
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 644
    RIP Michael.

TWINE and GORKY PARK are his 2 best films!
    echo wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. She deserves it. For years now, I've been told that AVTAK is an awesome film suffering from a terrible actress as the Bond girl. My opinion is that a lovely Bond girl was wasted to a subpar Bond film.

I would argue that neither Roberts nor the film is subpar, but I would also say that Roberts is better than the film. When people say her character is "whiny" or "weak" I think they're all referring to just one scene - the elevator sequence. And let's be honest, if I were trapped in a burning elevator, I'd be pretty whiny and weak, too. Other than that one scene, Stacey is resourceful, intelligent, and clever. Bond would never have worked out Zorin's scheme without her, nor would he have been able to stop it.

I've never understood the flack she got for the elevator sequence, myself. She perfectly portrays being terrified in that scene, and her character isn't used to that level of danger.
    Now if it had been Wai Lin in the elevator shaft screaming, I 'd have a problem with it.

I think its actually the air blimp sequence at the end that gives the character the reputation of being a bimbo.For crying out loud, the baddies sneak up on her with an AIR BLIMP and she still gets taken by surprise.And this is with Bond shouting '' STACY! BEHIND YOU! ''

I just assumed Stacey was deaf from that massive explosion.

Good idea.

Isn't this really John Glen's fault? Either put the temporarily deaf sound effect on the soundtrack, or show her running away from the blimp but them catching up to her (improbable but at least it shows awareness of the blimp).

She also makes up for it shortly thereafter. When she knocks Scarpine out with the fire extinguisher, it's one of her best moments in the film.

Good lord, I'm defending AVTAK. Welcome to 2021!

to be fair my biggest fear is a giant blimp hsows up behind me to kidnap me...

Also TWINE is my favorite Brosnan bond film
  • RIP Michael Apted. Tremendous filmmaker. I saw 28 Up and The World Is Not Enough the same year and never would have thought the two had come from the same filmmaker, but both made lasting impressions on me—one of the world's most fascinating documentaries and what would become one of my own personal favorite Bond films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,861
    RIP Rémy Julienne. It seems that the stunt legend who created such memorable car stunts for six Bond films in the 80s and 90s has passed away from COVID.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    RIP Rémy, what a fantastic talent he was :(
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    RIP Rémy Julienne. He was involved with some great cinema moments
    Oh no! How sad! I mostly remember him from his marvellous work on one of my favourite films, 'The Italian Job'
    But he did great work for Bond!
    R.I.P. Remy Julienne
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sad news regarding Remy Julienne. A legend of the world of stunt driving. His work on 80's and 90's Bond films is immeasurable. RIP.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This is terrible news. RIP Remy.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RIP Remy Julienne.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    He works from For Your Eyes Only till Goldeneye.

Some of his work

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Sad news about the death of Rémy Julienne. Truly a great stunt driver.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Julienne was a brilliant stunt coordinator and a very likable man.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RIP, Rémy, a real master of his craft.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 5,772
    Indeed : numerous were the movies made better by his stuntwork. Although 90 isn't a bad age to go, he'll be missed. For me, his best work was the truck chase in LTK.

A beauty !
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    RIP, Rémy, a real master of his craft.

Couldn't have said it better myself. RIP Remy.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,598
    Today (January 30th ) marks ten years since we lost the great John Barry and In his honor I'll post a favorite of mine from YOLT.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The grandmaster of film music is sorely missed.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 8,657
    I still remember fondly the John Barry Memorial Concert in Royal Albert Hall in June 2011, which my wife and I had the pleasure to attend. It was hosted by David Arnold (who also played the James Bond Theme as a solo guitarist), and we had Michael Caine, Tim Dalton, George Martin and Don Black, among others, as speakers, and Dame Shirley Bassey singing Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever. and then-popular Rumer singing We Have All the Time in the World. Actually, I don't think I've ever heard of her since. Anyway, it was a great experience, in spite of the sad reason for having that "memorial concert".

The audio, though for some strange reason not the video, can be found here:

PS: Returning from the intermission, we learned from the people sitting beside us that George Michael was sitting in the box behind us and had drawn some attention while we were away.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited March 2021 Posts: 3,277

From @ JamesBondDownUnder Instagram account:

"Sad to report that Ten time Bond film voiceover artist Nikki van der Zyl has passed away, Nikki had voiced over countless leading ladies of Bond including Ursula Andreas, Eunice Gayson, Shirley Eaton, Claudine Auger and Corrine Clèry amongst others, she also leant her hand as English vocal coach to Goldfinger himself, Gert Frobe. Rest In Peace dear Nikki"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That girl was a huge and distinct part of the series in the classic era.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    R.I.P Nikki van der Zyl, As already stated she made such a huge contribution to
    the Films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to hear of the death of Nikki van der Zyl. She was a largely unsung contributor to the Bond films.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

From @ JamesBondDownUnder Instagram account:

"Sad to report that Ten time Bond film voiceover artist Nikki van der Zyl has passed away, Nikki had voiced over countless leading ladies of Bond including Ursula Andreas, Eunice Gayson, Shirley Eaton, Claudine Auger and Corrine Clèry amongst others, she also leant her hand as English vocal coach to Goldfinger himself, Gert Frobe. Rest In Peace dear Nikki"

Damn, this is sad. An unsung hero.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    When you think about it, Nikki van der Zyl was a major part of the “feel” of those early Bond movies. It’s a shame that – except among hardcore fans – she received so little recognition for her work over the years.

And not to be morose, but I wonder if her passing will be noted by EON?

RIP Ms. van der Zyl
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    I also wonder whether EON will mention it or not. They should do as her contribution was significant, but I have heard rumours of ill-feeling between them in the past (?)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    A true unsung hero of the Bond world.

RIP dear Nikki :(
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The (unjust) story of her life is being marked in IMDb as "voice, uncredited". I don't know what the issue between her and the producers was that apparently caused EoN to exclude her from all public appearances later, which must have come up after Moonraker, when she still dubbed Corinne Cléry, But either way I'd say there has been no single woman except maybe(!) Lois Maxwell that had such a great and continuous influence on the first 11 Bond movies as Nikki.

For me a as a German this is enhanced by the fact that she was the daughter of a Berlin rabbi who had to flee to the UK in1939 to (ultimately) avoid being killed by the Nazis.

A"H Nikki van der Zyl.
    Back in the day producers and executives didn't like to publisise the fact that their leading ladies ( or indeed sometimes men) had to be dubbed because their English wasn't very good. It was one of their little secrets that they didn't want audiences to know about. Hence Nikki Van Der Zyl never got the credit she deserved. Even now I didn't know she dubbed Corinne Clery.