NTTD & Corona

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    echo wrote: »
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    OOWolf wrote: »
    How does that make any earthly sense? 'NTTD' is from 2019. What does it matter if it's not the newest model? The brand is still being advertised! Bond may not be fully tethered to this reality, but it's still close enough that the reality of the film somewhat matches the period in which it was created.

Brands payed tons of money to get their products advertised in the movie. Of course they want their latest products to appear in the film instead of products they released 2 years ago.

Yes I agree totally. The product placements need to be up-to-date, which will force EON's hand to get this released on streaming if cinemas remain shut this year, or they have to reshoot key scenes.

I'd be very surprised if the contracts didn't include an "act of God" exemption.

Vast majority of film's doesn't have so many product placement like bond, so it could be a little tricky.
    echo wrote: »
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    OOWolf wrote: »
    How does that make any earthly sense? 'NTTD' is from 2019. What does it matter if it's not the newest model? The brand is still being advertised! Bond may not be fully tethered to this reality, but it's still close enough that the reality of the film somewhat matches the period in which it was created.

Brands payed tons of money to get their products advertised in the movie. Of course they want their latest products to appear in the film instead of products they released 2 years ago.

Yes I agree totally. The product placements need to be up-to-date, which will force EON's hand to get this released on streaming if cinemas remain shut this year, or they have to reshoot key scenes.

I'd be very surprised if the contracts didn't include an "act of God" exemption.

Vast majority of film's doesn't have so many product placement like bond, so it could be a little tricky.

If the delay gets pushed back again to 2022, I think EON may be forced into making a decision what to do then - go streaming or reshoot these scenes to keep the product marketing folk happy. I'm guessing CGI may come in useful here...
    Think we'll get the deleted product placement scenes in the home video releases?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Think we'll get the deleted product placement scenes in the home video releases?

Deleted scenes on a home video release? That's asking for a lot from them these days.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Deleted scenes on a home video release? That's asking for a lot from them these days.
    I’ll never understand why those have been phased out of home media releases. They are sorely missed in recent Bond films and other movies as well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    jake24 wrote: »

I’ll never understand why those have been phased out of home media releases. They are sorely missed in recent Bond films and other movies as well.

Part of it is because physical media has been declining. If you recall, there was an experiment in the late 2000s where they would release a DVD of a new film in two forms: "Single Disc Edition" and "Two-Disc Edition". This happened with QOS. I'm willing to bet that the cheaper single disc releases sold a lot more and gave studios less incentive to invest in special features. Now jump to 2021 and most people just stream films.

Special features are now something for a niche consumer, with brands like Criterion and Shout continuing to carry the flag.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Part of it is because physical media has been declining. If you recall, there was an experiment in the late 2000s where they would release a DVD of a new film in two forms: "Single Disc Edition" and "Two-Disc Edition". This happened with QOS. I'm willing to bet that the cheaper single disc releases sold a lot more and gave studios less incentive to invest in special features. Now jump to 2021 and most people just stream films.

Special features are now something for a niche consumer, with brands like Criterion and Shout continuing to carry the flag.
    This is all true, however deleted scenes do not require any additional behind-the-scenes production and could easily be included in the discs (blu-rays hold more storage capacity than DVDs don’t they?). It just seems odd as there is increasingly less value in purchasing physical media anymore and distributors don’t seem to care much.
    Yes especially the one who are in the trailers. When you see a trailer, you expect to found all that is inside in the movie. Trailer is publicity, and it is almost false advertising to promote things that are not even in the product. Deleted scene should be visible somewhere, like in the bluray bonus. There is nothing more frustrating to have the hype about something that was announced and be disappointed to never see it : like the helicopter vs truck scene of MI:7.

If blu-ray are not does not sells, it is also because lacj of bonus in it make that they are no attractive. Anyway they have more of one year of delay with this COVID situation, I expect this time a very good packaged in bonus home media releases. They have no excuse.

This is all true, however deleted scenes do not require any additional behind-the-scenes production and could easily be included in the discs (blu-rays hold more storage capacity than DVDs don’t they?). It just seems odd as there is increasingly less value in purchasing physical media anymore and distributors don’t seem to care much.

It's all about return in investment. Just look at the menus of recent films. There used to be an art to creating fully interactive menus for films but now it's just a stock image with three options. I've seen blu-ray titles that don't even have chapter selections!

Just look at those Bond DVD menus from 20 years ago. We've really lost something there.

• edited January 2021 Posts: 847
    Two images that resume the absence of bonus since QOS :

ykDa3Tm.png

ggnvoBf.png

It's all about return in investment. Just look at the menus of recent films. There used to be an art to creating fully interactive menus for films but now it's just a stock image with three options. I've seen blu-ray titles that don't even have chapter selections!

Just look at those Bond DVD menus from 20 years ago. We've really lost something there.

Yeah they’ve really dropped the ball on that front. Those menus were very cool.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

But the fact that the films still do technically have special features means they're creating all of this for someone. Surely adding in some deleted scenes that do exist can't be remotely problematic or tasking.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Big news with regards to the UK release of NTTD...

Previously this would have meant the VOD, Blu-ray and DVD would have come out late January. Now, late November (possibly even early depending on whether the COVID situation at that point would let studios go for the 31 day window)
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    antovolk wrote: »
    Big news with regards to the UK release of NTTD...

Previously this would have meant the VOD, Blu-ray and DVD would have come out late January. Now, late November (possibly even early depending on whether the COVID situation at that point would let studios go for the 31 day window)

This would seem to offer a greater opportunity to generate revuenue from major releases quicker. Release Bond in theaters in October and have it out on BluRay just in time for Christmas
  • jake24 wrote: »

To be fair those old DVD menus do seem a bit kitsch and dated now.

To be fair those old DVD menus do seem a bit kitsch and dated now.

I'll take them over the current Blu-ray menus of the same generic Bond shooting the gun and the title appearing inside the barrel. That early DVD experience was such a revelation and those kitschy menus only added to the excitement the way a good product entices you to enjoy what's to come. I used to feel the same way when ABC would show the previews before a Bond film to get hyped for those viewings.

Sadly, we've lost a lot of that, a product of the times.
    I might be in a minority here, but I find these elaborate menus a bit…much. When I'm going to watch a film I just want to press play, not having to deal with long menu intros and all these unnecessary elements that are just in the way. A simple clean menu with some nice footage/short clip from the film is good enough.

Just because physical media is on the decline doesnt mean special features are not being produced.I buy most of my movies on digital from the likes of Itunes and in most cases,the special features that are produced for the discs are provided on the digital copy.

In fact,some special features are Itunes exclusive like the extended cut of Rambo:Last Blood being included along with the theatrical cut.
  • "For more than a decade, Anchorage Capital’s Kevin Ulrich has been looking for a way to spin a tale of success out of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios. Last month, a flurry of activity started to suggest he was on the verge of doing just that, with a rumored deal to unload the fabled studio for as much as $9 billion."

"Potential buyers are said to include Mike Hopkins, senior vice president of Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Studios, who has held “exploratory talks.” MGM’s former CEO, Harry Sloan is in there too. He and business partner Jeff Sagansky, are raising $1.5 billion for their seventh special purpose investment vehicle — an evaluating potential targets. Spokespeople for Amazon and Sloan’s Eagle Equity Partners declined comment. Others floated as potential buyers — Comcast’s NBCUniversal and AT&T’s WarnerMedia — are little more than fantasy at this point, though Apple remains a speculative wild-card."

The problem is that MGM’s collection of great movies is dated and losing value by the minute. Barbara Broccoli and her half brother Michael G. Wilson, who maintain an iron grip over the Bond franchise — a deal initially hammered out decades ago by Broccoli’s father, producer Albert “Cubby” Broccoli — have the final say over casting decisions, dialog and promotional materials related to 007 — adding complexity to any deal talks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchmielewski/2021/01/30/mgms-back-on-the-block-and-floating-a-10-billion-price-tag-dont-count-on-it/?sh=2be2130fb740

AstonLotus wrote: »

Just because physical media is on the decline doesnt mean special features are not being produced.I buy most of my movies on digital from the likes of Itunes and in most cases,the special features that are produced for the discs are provided on the digital copy.

In fact,some special features are Itunes exclusive like the extended cut of Rambo:Last Blood being included along with the theatrical cut.

I'm not saying no special features are produced today, only that they're no longer as elaborate as they used to be back when DVD was at its prime.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Strange that no Bond films are in the Criterion Collection; those things are loaded down with special features, which I guess is sort of the point of them. You'd think Dr. No or FRWL might have been included.

I think there was a Bond film in the Criterion Laserdisc (???) collection? Maybe?
    DN, FRWL, and GF got Criterion releases on LaserDisc. Of all the Bond films, those three were probably the most worthy to get the treatment.

usa_ld_crit_cav_01_dn_front_580.jpg

usa_ld_crit_cav_02_frwl_front_580.jpg

usa_ld_crit_cav_03_gf_front_580.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Why no DVDs / Blu-Rays I wonder?
    If you look back, Criterion used to release some pretty major films like Citizen Kane, Blade Runner, Ghostbusters, etc. There’s never been DVD/blu-ray Criterion editions of those films because the studios decided to release their own collectors editions of those films rather than license them to another. I think the last time Criterion ever released a blockbuster film was Armageddon.

Since then they’ve only done art/indie films.
    This is the reality of insisting on delays as you are adamant in a theatrical release, certain things will go out of date/fashion. So sponsors wanting to change their product should be expected?

It is no use the film makers/Producers kicking up a fuss when they allowed partners to go ahead with their marketing campaigns. This goes for other movies too not just Bond.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    This is the reality of insisting on delays as you are adamant in a theatrical release, certain things will go out of date/fashion. So sponsors wanting to change their product should be expected?

It is no use the film makers/Producers kicking up a fuss when they allowed partners to go ahead with their marketing campaigns. This goes for other movies too not just Bond.

How are producers kicking up a fuss? They are the ones who would have to do the reshoots after all.. If this was just something the sponsors would do on their own (reshooting or recutting a commercial for example) there wouldn't be a problem. Re-opening and changing a locked-in film is a different thing altogether.
  • I might be in a minority here, but I find these elaborate menus a bit…much. When I'm going to watch a film I just want to press play, not having to deal with long menu intros and all these unnecessary elements that are just in the way. A simple clean menu with some nice footage/short clip from the film is good enough.

'WELCOME TO [insert Bond film] SPECIAL EDITION DVD, PLEASE ACTIVATE'

Bit naff to be honest.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regarding the Criterion Laserdisks of the first three films, I recall the extras were actually TOO good. The commentaries included detail on items like where the Bond theme came from that upset the producers. So I don't expect a future association with Criterion.
    Famous last words but I am getting the feeling with all the recent news - theatrical window changes in the UK, vaccine rollout, potential Amazon acquisition - NTTD may stick to October for good.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 17,241
    I might be in a minority here, but I find these elaborate menus a bit…much. When I'm going to watch a film I just want to press play, not having to deal with long menu intros and all these unnecessary elements that are just in the way. A simple clean menu with some nice footage/short clip from the film is good enough.

'WELCOME TO [insert Bond film] SPECIAL EDITION DVD, PLEASE ACTIVATE'

Bit naff to be honest.

Yes, that's just silly. Would fit better in an Austin Powers DVD menu.