No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    And another release date down the chute. For those keeping score: October 25th, 2019 February 14th, 2020 April 3rd, 2020 November 12th, 2020 April 2nd, 2021..and now October 8th, 2021.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 15,785
    I'm more than happy with an October release date, especially if it had been in 2019 and B26 were coming out this year instead.
    Still, hopefully NTTD is superb Bond outing well worth the wait and it inspires Eon to get rolling with the next film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    This makes a lot of sense. Why release it in April when they can delay it half a year and release it when life is back to normal? This feels like the final delay.

Yes, it will be. I was hoping to see it this summer. October seems...damn...just an eternity away, now.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    this puts us closer to breaking the LTK- GE record gap. If that was a record we were hoping to break...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well it is what it is. At least we have confirmation of something we already pretty much knew.
    No point in complaining about it, it won’t change a thing.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    There was absolutely no part of me that thought I would be watching this film in April, so this news is not that shocking to me. It was more like waiting for them to officially announce it, rather than hoping they wouldn't move it.
    Just realised: Bond skipped Trump’s entire tenure.
    Just realised: Bond skipped Trump’s entire tenure.

And yet he still was able to drag Sean Connery into the mess.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Thank God that tweet didn't mention "we are happy to delay it again" :D
    I knew it wasn't going to release in April, let's see how next few months turns out.
    Given the size of the vaccination task worldwide, I am surprised they selected an October 2021 release. While I hope things will be much better by then, I think October will be too soon, and look, in that regard, to 2022. Of course, if things will not have changed enough by August or September of this year, they can reschedule again.
    TripAces wrote: »
    This makes a lot of sense. Why release it in April when they can delay it half a year and release it when life is back to normal? This feels like the final delay.

Yes, it will be. I was hoping to see it this summer. October seems...damn...just an eternity away, now.

October for now. If this pandemic continues the way it is going, expect that date to be pushed back again. I said all along it would be April 2022, and the current signs don't prove me wrong. EON are just giving themselves breathing space again.
    Forget the 60th, we're in the Craig era.
    I think NTTD should be delayed until November 2026 in time for CR's 20th anniversary.

Then get B26 ready for 2032 in time for the series' 70th.

Just kidding. Carry on.............
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,273

Of course it does. And then October will soon pass and we will have the next release date - April 2022, which I am still slightly optimistic about, for now at least.

As for life returning to normal, I hate to break it to you but the new norm will be face masks and distancing for a couple of years at least. Life may never fully return back to the normal we once remembered it pre 2020. We are now living through a moment in history which will be looked back on for many years to come. How life was before 2020, and what life was like after 2020.

I work in the broadcast industry, which used to have huge global trade shows every year in Las Vegas and Amsterdam, and already now the talk is that these shows may never return. Businesses are finding a new way to continue, people working from home, TV stations now doing remote production. If they make a profit under these circumstances, then there is no more need to rent large offices and attend any large trade shows anymore.

The city high street will probably be the most noticeable change once this pandemic is finally through. It was already in rapid decline before 2020, and Covid has just accelerated it.

As for how many bars, restaurants and social gathering events will survive this, including large cinema chains, I dread to think. No one really knows what the new norm is going to look like in a couple of years time when this virus has hopefully finally passed through us.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    M:I is five weeks away, if it holds - that was why people were so worried about a potential shift to November. Halloween has become popular again, for sure. But not popular enough that I would worry about it eating into Bond's gross.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about these two movies potentially going head to head anyway.

Even if we leave out the fact that NTTD is a finished movie and MI still has months of filming left and the fact that the schedule is still very unstable, Bond is still a bigger franchise than MI:7.

If for some reason NTTD was moved to a competing release date, MI:7 would be more likely vacate it than Bond.

I guess these films probably need more space than usual as they need to make sure they can recoup as much as possible, plus people will perhaps not be wanting to do lots of trips to the cinema and just pick one film to see.
    mtm wrote: »
    M:I is five weeks away, if it holds - that was why people were so worried about a potential shift to November. Halloween has become popular again, for sure. But not popular enough that I would worry about it eating into Bond's gross.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned about these two movies potentially going head to head anyway.

Even if we leave out the fact that NTTD is a finished movie and MI still has months of filming left and the fact that the schedule is still very unstable, Bond is still a bigger franchise than MI:7.

If for some reason NTTD was moved to a competing release date, MI:7 would be more likely vacate it than Bond.

I guess these films probably need more space than usual as they need to make sure they can recoup as much as possible, plus people will perhaps not be wanting to do lots of trips to the cinema and just pick one film to see.

This entirely is my fear. Everything that comes afterward to eat into its potential box office drastically. I do not see a feasible way it hits what it needs globally if other movies move into the November / December slots. It will have a huge drop off.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    this puts us closer to breaking the LTK- GE record gap. If that was a record we were hoping to break...

Funny to think the gap between Craig's first and last Bond films will be the same as the gap between Dr No and The Spy Who Loved Me.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Funny to think the gap between Craig's first and last Bond films will be the same as the gap between Dr No and The Spy Who Loved Me.

I was 4 when CR came out. I will be in my second year of college when NTTD *maybe* comes out
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 440

Exactly, that's why nobody needs to worry about these movies going head to head. The studios who make them won't want to cut into their profits by competing in a period when the market is in a bad place.

It's also fairly likely that both films will be pushed back. NTTD possibly to December at the earliest but more likely to the Winter/Spring of next year, with MI:7 to the Spring/Summer.

It took us a little over a year to hit the COVID peak at this point and I imagine the next year (or so) will be spent climbing down from it.

Society will return to some degree of day-to-day normality in as much as COVID will become another seasonal illness like the flu and social distancing restrictions will cease.

Although the economic impact will obviously be felt for much longer afterwards.
    antovolk wrote: »
    km16 wrote: »
    That date is not gonna hold. Not falling for it this time. Way too much competition.

Which films should we be worried about? The only ones I see are Dune and Halloween, and I think Dune is slightly handicapped by its simultaneous debut on HBOMax.

Dune is very likely to be a traditional release again, FYI..competing for IMAX will be a factor

Are they using Godzilla vs Kong as a sacrificial lamb with regards to HBO Max, then?

Legendary (the production company behind both films) actually wanted to sell that to Netflix but WB kiboshed that deal... only to turn around and put it on their own service instead without warning. Apparently a traditional release for Dune is what's being negotiated for by Legendary to avoid a lawsuit between both companies - and probably a bargaining chip that let WB go through now with putting GvK on HBO Max (trailer is out Sunday)
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,314
    A possible release date but not a probable one. If it does open in October we will all be required to wear masks and leave a gap between us and strangers for sure.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,969
    Yeah, I'm calling EON's bluff on this one. Of all dates to choose from, this seems a strange one to pick. There is likely to be another wave of the virus hitting around Autumn. It may not be as deadly as the first two, but rising cases eventually turns into hospitals struggling to cope, and then shutdowns. Right now in the UK is probably the worse time of the pandemic, and I KNOW older people are not thinking about a trip to the cinema, this year at least.

Another thing is competition October is filling up nicely, and don't forget theres a kingsman film set for September. And I don't think movies will perform as they normally would pre-pandemic. Normally a big film Bond will make between 30 - 40% of its gross on its opening weekend. I don't think that's possible for Bond 25 because seating will be distanced, and people won't all pile in the first few days. Instead, movies could play for months and have their return spread out. This is a problem because with MI:7 releasing in November, with a big marketing push, and will likely take all the attention away from Bond.

Personally I think it's crazy to think about releasing Bond 25 in October when we are still fighting the virus tooth and nail in January. I think everyone will be happy if they can get limited contact with their families by Summer. I think heading to the cinema is still far down on peoples list of priorities. A Bond film released this October is doomed to fail, because as happened last year, people will travel around the country during summer (nothing stops the brits and their caravan holidays), the virus will incubate, and then come the beginning of Autumn cases will rise, and at the very least the fear of another lockdown will keep people out of theatres.

This seems like more of a placeholder date, like the others, to give them some room to breathe and see what happens. It also doesn't make sense to celebrate the 59th when the 60th is only a few months away.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    TripAces wrote: »

October for now. If this pandemic continues the way it is going, expect that date to be pushed back again. I said all along it would be April 2022, and the current signs don't prove me wrong. EON are just giving themselves breathing space again.

+1!
    @jetsetwilly is correct. Wonder Woman just released and made about 20% of what the original Wonder Woman made in 2017. If they go go through with this new October date the movie will probably fail to make 50% of SPECTREs earnings. Bond 25 is said to has an overall (after marketing) of 500+ million, and they will not make that money back in October. I hope they don't go ahead with this, because it could mean really rocks times ahead for the franchise. People don't understand that this movie is another Spy Who Loved Me, or Goldeneye in the sense that there is a lot riding on it. EON have been lucky in the past, in that when things look to be heading towards a precipice they have fought with chest-beating gusto. I fear however that this time the chickens could be coming home to roost, I dunno just a bad vibe I'm getting here. Something doesn't feel right. They have to push the release to 2022 if they are in with a chance then, if the movie is good, a miracle can happen, as always seems to with Bond, and the "build and they will come" natural law will take effect again. Alternatively, if they release at the wrong time, it can mean that six years of work resulted in failure. I hope this is another Spy, Goldeneye, Skyfall moment, but something tells me it's different...
    Life may never fully return back to the normal we once remembered it pre 2020.

That's the most pessimistic post I've read recently. Personally I don't believe that we all are wearing facemasks in 2030. Even the spanish flu died out.

Zekidk wrote: »
    Life may never fully return back to the normal we once remembered it pre 2020.

That's the most pessimistic post I've read recently. Personally I don't believe that we all are wearing facemasks in 2030. Even the spanish flu died out.

No but honestly speaking I don't see theatrical experiences going back to the 'norm' for several years at least.
    Watching 'Tenet' here in August '20, was exactly how it would have been in 2019. In fact July, August and September everything here was almost "back to normal" before the 2nd wave hit in October.
    Watching 'Tenet' here in August '20, was exactly how it would have been in 2019. In fact July, August and September everything here was almost "back to normal" before the 2nd wave hit in October.

And the movie still tanked. Exactly why Spring 2022 is safer than October 2021 for Bond 25. If the movie is to have any chance of "taking off" and making the 500 - 600 million it has to (or more), it can't be positioned as literally one of the first biggest tent poles people go and see (like Tenet was). Whoever opens first will take a major hit, likely. Spring 2022 looks safe, EON need to not rush things after waiting for so long. Do it right.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 187

Thats one place. Blockbusters depend on countless countries to break even, where those countries are all working at different speeds with vaccinations. And God knows if the mutating virus will delay things.
    Exactly why Spring 2022 is safer than October 2021 for Bond 25. If the movie is to have any chance of "taking off" and making the 500 - 600 million it has to (or more), it can't be positioned as literally one of the first biggest tent poles people go and see (like Tenet was). Whoever opens first will take a major hit,.

From my local deli to the entire airline industry, everyone has taken a beating financially because of Covid-19. Breaking even and clinging on is what its all about. But you are saying that NTTD (and the movie industry) has no intention of settling wih just that? NTTD 600 million? I'd say they'd better postpone to 2023 then.

But an interesting game of chicken...this "whoever opens first" you mention. One thing we know.... there isn't going to be a whole lot of competition those weeks.

Btw, Tenet tanked because it wasn't a blockbusting crowdpleaser. Bond is.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 187
    Exactly why Spring 2022 is safer than October 2021 for Bond 25. If the movie is to have any chance of "taking off" and making the 500 - 600 million it has to (or more), it can't be positioned as literally one of the first biggest tent poles people go and see (like Tenet was). Whoever opens first will take a major hit,.

From my local deli to the entire airline industry, everyone has taken a beating financially because of Covid-19. Breaking even and clinging on is what its all about. But you are saying that NTTD (and the movie industry) has no intention of settling wih just that? NTTD 600 million? I'd say they'd better postpone to 2023 then.

But an interesting game of chicken...this "whoever opens first" you mention. One thing we know.... there isn't going to be a whole lot of competition those weeks.

Btw, Tenet tanked because it wasn't a blockbusting crowdpleaser. Bond is.

Tenet tanked because it tried opening in the middle of a pandemic, mainly due to Nolan's ego, and the general audience felt it was not worth risking your life to see a movie when you can wait three months to watch it safely at home.

They could have shown the second coming of Jesus Christ and the existence of God caught on camera and it would have tanked.