NTTD & Corona

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Release the bloody film now on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming so we can enjoy it while we're all cooped up indoors and have done with it.

Which streaming service do you suggest? Do you think they'll pony up anything close to the asking price that would make it a more viable alternative to sticking to a cinema release? Just curious as to whether there's anything other than emotion driving your posts. I empathise with your frustrations, and I wish it were as simple as your posts suggest it to be.

Also he doesn't seem to want the film in 4K UHD which is an interesting position to take considering the current state of technology. ;)

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me but I can certainly see the necessity and benefits of 4k UHD from a marketing POV.

I wonder how many people took the 4k UHD option witb WW '84?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 1,261
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We've already had to wait 9 extra months so far because of this pandemic - it will be a full year in April (if it comes out then - otherwise more than that). That is on top of a 4 and half year gap from the release of SP. Is that not enough delayed gratification?

I can't tell if you're trolling at this stage or simply offering a point of view that's nonsensical and no one else can get behind. Either wait or don't see the film, it's that simple. We're not owed anything, they haven't made any promises, no level of demanding will make the film release sooner. Try and have some patience and enjoy the other 24 official films of the series while we wait. That's literally all you can do.

I suppose he is serious, our very own Trump. Someone with the mind and understanding of a little kid, who wants to get his way and yells and screams, if he does not get, what he wants. Sorry, usually I don't use language like this, and talk about and to other users this way, but it's getting tiresome. Because he does not want to discuss things, but just repeats the same tune, like a broken record.

One of the few people I would appreciate an "ignore" button. Maybe he should talk to people, who have lost beloved people to Covid19. Or people, who got infected and got healed, but still have to deal with the effects of it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    We survived a year without Bond. We can survive another.
  • Which streaming service do you suggest? Do you think they'll pony up anything close to the asking price that would make it a more viable alternative to sticking to a cinema release? Just curious as to whether there's anything other than emotion driving your posts. I empathise with your frustrations, and I wish it were as simple as your posts suggest it to be.
    I wasn't thinking of any streaming service in particular, probably one (perhaps Amazon?) with a fee for streaming (similar to Disney's release of Mulan, just to start bringing some money in).
    I myself would buy it on DVD as I still regularly watch and buy DVDS, and I don't own a Blu-ray or 4K UHD player.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Which streaming service do you suggest? Do you think they'll pony up anything close to the asking price that would make it a more viable alternative to sticking to a cinema release? Just curious as to whether there's anything other than emotion driving your posts. I empathise with your frustrations, and I wish it were as simple as your posts suggest it to be.
    I wasn't thinking of any streaming service in particular, probably one (perhaps Amazon?) with a fee for streaming (similar to Disney's release of Mulan, just to start bringing some money in).
    I myself would buy it on DVD as I still regularly watch and buy DVDS, and I don't own a Blu-ray or 4K UHD player.

I'm still on BluRay and haven't made the jump to 4k yet. I'd definitely recommend upgrading to at least BluRay! Stuff looks great.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 40,368

I'm still on BluRay and haven't made the jump to 4k yet. I'd definitely recommend upgrading to at least BluRay! Stuff looks great.

And for you, I'd recommend the upgrade to 4K, though it's certainly not as noticeable as that DVD-to-blu-ray jump was.

And for you, I'd recommend the upgrade to 4K, though it's certainly not as noticeable as that DVD-to-blu-ray jump was.

I suppose it depends on how big your screen is. The jump from SD to Blu-Ray would be noticeable for me, but I don't have a big enough screen to justify the 4K jump, unless it's HDR.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I suppose it depends on how big your screen is. The jump from SD to Blu-Ray would be noticeable for me, but I don't have a big enough screen to justify the 4K jump, unless it's HDR.

Same. I have a sub-50” TV and sit far enough away that I don’t think my eyes would notice the jump from 1080p to 4K. A higher refresh rate would be nice for gaming though.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Bax has chimed in: "expect it to shift again".
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9123811/amp/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Hamiltons-nemesis-Leslie-Odom-Jr-Cookes-storm-soul-legend-Sam.html?__twitter_impression=true
    With the talk of the current lockdown only being partially lifted by March/April I guess some move is inevitable for sure, the question now is whether that's an immediate move to months later or a Tenet-like slight push as timelines become clearer.

And it's worth noting once more... absolutely nothing is making a billion until 2022. The other studios are experimenting with VOD more and more or just sticking to dates and / or not moving back massively to 2022 etc to avoid further delays on their slates (eg Warner Bros). Whether it's a perfect solution financially is another question, of course it's not, but everyone's at this point trying to go for the least painful option for these films stuck in limbo.

It's no longer about making a profit, it's about losing the least amount of money. And as long as someone is paying MGM, it doesn't matter who - streamer or what. (Except to EON and the 007 brand but the WB move is definitely a thing that's gonna erode that expectation)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Let’s say, better $500 million this year or $800/900 million next year? MGM has different needs than WB, or Disney. We’ll see...

I’m pretty curious to see what will happen to Black Widow (scheduled a month after NTTD). We should pray Disney to stick with that release date. Theaters need cash, people must keep on going to the movies again and the summer season must be saved this year.
    Yup. Raya out in March will be a trial run for their day and date Premier Access thing (Mulan of course was one but it didn't have a cinema release at all). They've already had to push the entire Marvel slate twice - not just the films but the Disney+ shows too (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier ties in story wise with Widow reportedly and that's already been officially set for March) - will they do it a third time? Different needs indeed...but all the more pressure on MGM and EON to just get NTTD out there as they see everyone else forging ahead with films in a similar limbo .

(Also we did see something kinda similar happen here as a result of the last delay - the Aretha Franklin biopic Respect. That was due out this month, but then they pushed it back to August apparently because NTTD needed to be out first, to help finance an Oscar campaign for it.)
    @antovolk, you know more about this than any of us do, I am pretty sure....

What do you think will happen? Best guess scenario. We won't hold it against you if you're wrong. :))
    I can't see them moving it to the autumn because of M:I (which has little reason to move to 2022 given production is on schedule, and Tom Cruise has his trip to space in October which is such ideal publicity for M:I - it's going to be a huge, all over the news for days kinda thing - they'll want to stick with it for that reason) and just the general blockbuster backlog that's gonna be in full swing at that time. It'll just be one of many instead of the leading fish in the sea. 2022 would have been easy to do if the film was in early stages of marketing but both times NTTD moved it was almost at the end of the cycle, they'd be risking a New Mutants-like "wasn't this meant to be out ages ago" sentiment and sense of staleness that we won't see with anything else that's had delays with these specific circumstances, save for Black Widow (everything else that has that risk is already out, streaming or otherwise). We can't overestimate that interest will keep going that long, even if it's Bond... (And remember that the brand is on a back foot in the US especially, you cannot treat it as a given)

Which leaves summer, sticking in April if a streamer is willing to pony up enough and EON don't veto, or doing what Tenet did - incrementally pushing back while keeping its "first blockbuster out the gate" position depending on lockdowns ending and cinema reopening timelines in the UK, Europe and New York/LA. (Asia is by and large as ready as it can be right now) We may all crow on about Tenet but that's still done nearly $400m in *worse* circumstances than this would be going into, if NTTD were to go down that route.

If I had my money on something right now, it's that Tenet approach.
    That's a succinct and understandable analysis, @antovolk - thank you! :)
    I don’t know. Bond is Bond. It should’ve been the highest grossing film of 2020. I don’t see why they’d fear the competition of Cruise or Dune or whatever. A New Mutant scenario is out of the equation IMO, Bond will always trend and people care about this franchise.
    I would bet my money on NTTD being postponed until they find an “”optimal”” window in order to gross at least $600/700 millions at the worldwide box office.
    If I was in charge I would postpone it indefinitely, and only announce a new date, when it is 100% clear, that the new release date works worldwide.
    matt_u wrote: »
    It should’ve been the highest grossing film of 2020. I don’t see why they’d fear the competition of Cruise or Dune or whatever.

Man, I hate to say it (and I know you said you don't know and that's fine) but I feel there's little chance NTTD would have been the highest-grossing of 2020 even without COVID. 'Bond is Bond' is precisely the sort of thing I'm trying to question here because - people care but now, especially in the U.S., not as much as they do for Marvel, for DC, for Fast and Furious even, and there's a good chance if MI7 and NTTD went head to head in normal conditions they'd be *very* close, certainly wouldn't be an easy win for Bond (not to say it wouldn't come on top but it'd be a battle). The only places where it would be close to if not the highest-grossing of the year - the UK and parts of Europe. That's the only places where 'Bond is Bond' applies.

And now add to that the delays that have been the most publicised out of any film affected by COVID...
    Small quote from CJF in the new Total Film:
    "I'm hopeful that it'll come out. But what comes first is the health of the world, and entertainment like our film is obviously secondary to that." I presume that was from an interview for the last TF cover which was *before* the latest November to April delay...
  • Thank you these posts Antovolk. You've made some excellent points! 🙂 I too think that a Tenet approach is quite likely at the moment. Hopefully it won't be too long before we know for sure about the film's current release date, one way or another.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    When do people imagine the delay will be announced? Any chance of a Friday news dump today?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    antovolk wrote: »
    Bax has chimed in: "expect it to shift again".
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9123811/amp/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Hamiltons-nemesis-Leslie-Odom-Jr-Cookes-storm-soul-legend-Sam.html?__twitter_impression=true
    With the talk of the current lockdown only being partially lifted by March/April I guess some move is inevitable for sure, the question now is whether that's an immediate move to months later or a Tenet-like slight push as timelines become clearer.

And it's worth noting once more... absolutely nothing is making a billion until 2022. The other studios are experimenting with VOD more and more or just sticking to dates and / or not moving back massively to 2022 etc to avoid further delays on their slates (eg Warner Bros). Whether it's a perfect solution financially is another question, of course it's not, but everyone's at this point trying to go for the least painful option for these films stuck in limbo.

It's no longer about making a profit, it's about losing the least amount of money. And as long as someone is paying MGM, it doesn't matter who - streamer or what. (Except to EON and the 007 brand but the WB move is definitely a thing that's gonna erode that expectation)

Another move is completely predictable. The US is a disaster, and will be until Biden takes office and defers to scientists about the pandemic. The UK is also trending in the wrong direction.

Everyone should be patient...hopefully if the general public gets vaccinated in the spring/summer as scheduled, NTTD can have a fall release.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,343
    antovolk wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    It should’ve been the highest grossing film of 2020. I don’t see why they’d fear the competition of Cruise or Dune or whatever.

Man, I hate to say it (and I know you said you don't know and that's fine) but I feel there's little chance NTTD would have been the highest-grossing of 2020 even without COVID. 'Bond is Bond' is precisely the sort of thing I'm trying to question here because - people care but now, especially in the U.S., not as much as they do for Marvel, for DC, for Fast and Furious even, and there's a good chance if MI7 and NTTD went head to head in normal conditions they'd be *very* close, certainly wouldn't be an easy win for Bond (not to say it wouldn't come on top but it'd be a battle). The only places where it would be close to if not the highest-grossing of the year - the UK and parts of Europe. That's the only places where 'Bond is Bond' applies.

And now add to that the delays that have been the most publicised out of any film affected by COVID...

In the US NTTD was projected to gross an estimated $250 million (by Forbes) but with a SF kind of reception the $300 million target would have been possible. Bond never made Marvel or DC numbers in the US. A film like WW made $100 million more than Bond’s highest grossing film domestic. A terrible mess like SS made more than SF in the US. It’s no today’s news that most of dear Americans have... different sensibilities... let’s put it this way.
    IMO a Tenet strategy (almost a year later with a lot of millions already lost) would be a suicide. I suspect that they won’t release the film as long as theaters won’t work with a 100% capacity in most of the big markets. Even in the various announcements they kept on saying that “they won’t release the film because they want it to be seen by the wider audience possible”.
    MGM doesn’t have tons of blockbusters down the pipeline. MGM doesn’t have a streaming service and their asking was almost the double of the bigger offer. Bond is their only ace and going with a Tenet strategy would be a huge gamble as I see things...
  • I now wish NTTD would've been released last summer. If Tenet with its mixed reviews and relatively tame marketing campaign made $360m, then NTTD could've surely done $500m. Not pretty, but better than what the prospects look now.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal
    It is when you consider the waiting that we had already gone through before the March 2020 delay, it was barely a month away from release, you could actually book tickets for it and then it was suddenly snatched away from our hands and we're barred from seeing it for the foreseeable future or until the world gets this pandemic under control (I'm not holding my breath that's going to be this year the way things are going).

Well, the first delay came in March 2020, i.e. 3 weeks before the slated release date, and there is nothing wrong to start the ticket sale. In October 2020.. they also did start the PR with the Buillie Eilishs video. EON does not owe the audience anything, the pandemic was clearly not their faults. In both cases, movie theatres had been closed. Blame Johnson or Trump for first ignoring Covid (with Trump still ignoring it, and is busy trying to blackmail senators to help him stay in office). But it's not their fault, either. This pandemic is the worst virus since 1918, we did not have to deal with this, as it is an unprecedented global disease. 86 million of people are/have been infected, and 1,8 millions have died in connection with Covid19. We all have to wait and be patient. There are more importantt things than waiting for a new movie.

First delay in March 2020? Erm sure there was a 14th February 2020 release date and even a 25th October 2019 release date ...

Yes, there was, but in April 2019 they announced the April 2nd release date.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Aside from bond, fast & furious was another film which could had earned a billion. I wonder what will happen to that? :-?
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,394
    Aside from bond, fast & furious was another film which could had earned a billion. I wonder what will happen to that? :-?

I would expect FF9 to do better than Bond ( The last two instalments made over a billion worldwide ) but wont hit the billion dollar mark if it does get released this year.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

I would expect FF9 to do better than Bond ( The last two instalments made over a billion worldwide ) but wont hit the billion dollar mark if it does get released this year.

Just because of China.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    AstonLotus wrote: »

So it's not just bond, ff9 might not get released this year as well.
  • Hopefully, if I start dreaming of NTTD (even if my dream version of it turns out to be nonsensical like most of my dreams are), then at least I'll definitely have experienced the film in some way this year.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Hopefully, if I start dreaming of NTTD (even if my dream version of it turns out to be nonsensical like most of my dreams are), then at least I'll definitely have experienced the film in some way this year.

If this is how you deal with something out of your control, like the release of a film. Albeit a Bond film, and let’s be clear, 99% of members here are waiting frantically for its eventual release. But if you get this worked up over the release of a movie, how do you deal with everyday real problems in your life?