NTTD & Corona

Comments

• I didn't name you in particular and I apologize if you took it as a personal shot at you, RogerJonMoorePertwee.
    Thanks, that's okay. I personally don't think the delays will make NTTD less satisfying for me, I just think most of us would probably cope with this whole blasted situation (the pandemic) if we could have at least have the comfort of seeing this film soon (I myself definitely would). At this rate, as much as I want the vaccine (I'm only 28 though so I'll be lucky if I get it before the end of the year), the thing I genuinely want the most this year, is to finally see this film and hope that it's been worth the wait.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Thank you for very much for trying to invalidate my feelings on this.

You're entitled to your feelings, but they'll never change how things are.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    I'm of the suspicion that if 'NTTD' were to come out today via streaming (then given a theater release at a later date), it'd be no greater financial loss than keeping it on the shelf until an undisclosed time in the future.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    OOWolf wrote: »
    I'm of the suspicion that if 'NTTD' were to come out today via streaming (then given a theater release at a later date), it'd be no greater financial loss than keeping it on the shelf until an undisclosed time in the future.

That's the point, they waited so long for theatrical release, so now they are not going to throw it away for streaming.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yeah sure. You know better about their money than MGM or EoN itself.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Well, now the 60th is less than a year away now ;) doesn't seem so long!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    They will encompass NTTD now in with the 60th Anniversary of Bond in 2022! Although i am hoping for sooner? I can't see it at the minute?! The world as we knew it? Feels an awful long way away.

Depending on what date you choose:

Oct. 5th, because DN had its world premiere on that day?
    That's still 1 3/4 years away.

By the time the vaccine is completed around the world? It could well be that date?!!!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal
    It is when you consider the waiting that we had already gone through before the March 2020 delay, it was barely a month away from release, you could actually book tickets for it and then it was suddenly snatched away from our hands and we're barred from seeing it for the foreseeable future or until the world gets this pandemic under control (I'm not holding my breath that's going to be this year the way things are going).

And the pandemic is Eon's fault how?
  • Obviously I know that the pandemic wasn't EON's fault and I wasn't insinuating that. I was just trying to summarize my feelings about that first last minute delay after tickets had already gone on sale - that's what made the situation feel worse to me.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal
    It is when you consider the waiting that we had already gone through before the March 2020 delay, it was barely a month away from release, you could actually book tickets for it and then it was suddenly snatched away from our hands and we're barred from seeing it for the foreseeable future or until the world gets this pandemic under control (I'm not holding my breath that's going to be this year the way things are going).

Well, the first delay came in March 2020, i.e. 3 weeks before the slated release date, and there is nothing wrong to start the ticket sale. In October 2020.. they also did start the PR with the Buillie Eilishs video. EON does not owe the audience anything, the pandemic was clearly not their faults. In both cases, movie theatres had been closed. Blame Johnson or Trump for first ignoring Covid (with Trump still ignoring it, and is busy trying to blackmail senators to help him stay in office). But it's not their fault, either. This pandemic is the worst virus since 1918, we did not have to deal with this, as it is an unprecedented global disease. 86 million of people are/have been infected, and 1,8 millions have died in connection with Covid19. We all have to wait and be patient. There are more importantt things than waiting for a new movie.
    Equally, entertainment - and new movies - have been key in helping us get through the lockdowns and the pandemic.

There's a genuine case to be made, I reckon, with attempting a Tenet-style approach in April/May - at most marginally delaying it depending on when the UK comes out of this current lockdown as opposed a months-long push into November or later. Even likes of Steven Soderbergh (probably the most business-savvy director out there) has said, there's a shelf life on many of the films being delayed, and with its twice-started marketing campaign, it's close to expiring on NTTD. That's why Mulan and more crucially Wonder Woman pulled the streaming triggers. And by delaying into later they run the risk of being a staler/overdue title in a sea of fresher releases such as Dune or Matrix and of course, Mission Impossible (which mustn't be underestimated. Tom Cruise is shooting his space movie in October right before he does press for MI7, it's gonna be harder for a long-delayed Bond to comfortably break through all of that in October/November.

What we know at the moment: what will lift this current UK lockdown (be it in March or April or May) is the over 50s and vulnerable groups being vaccinated, in theory we wouldn’t see another lockdown until next winter (that’s another thing they have to worry about now, restrictions potentially happening each winter) And so, unlike the Tenet thing where other later films fled after its US opening, we’re less likely to see that scenario if NTTD comes out as cinemas reopen again here. If Black Widow etc all stick it will help Bond’s performance in the long run. Between likely increased public confidence in returning to cinemas thanks to the vaccine being around (even the lack of vaccine didn’t seem to deter the UK with Tenet) and a better performance because it’s Bond, a repeat of Tenet’s fate seems less likely.
  • Thank you Antovolk! I completely agree with what you've said, someone here who can see where I'm coming from with this!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,343
    antovolk wrote: »
    Equally, entertainment - and new movies - have been key in helping us get through the lockdowns and the pandemic.

There's a genuine case to be made, I reckon, with attempting a Tenet-style approach in April/May - at most marginally delaying it depending on when the UK comes out of this current lockdown as opposed a months-long push into November or later. Even likes of Steven Soderbergh (probably the most business-savvy director out there) has said, there's a shelf life on many of the films being delayed, and with its twice-started marketing campaign, it's close to expiring on NTTD. That's why Mulan and more crucially Wonder Woman pulled the streaming triggers. And by delaying into later they run the risk of being a staler/overdue title in a sea of fresher releases such as Dune or Matrix and of course, Mission Impossible (which mustn't be underestimated. Tom Cruise is shooting his space movie in October right before he does press for MI7, it's gonna be harder for a long-delayed Bond to comfortably break through all of that in October/November.

What we know at the moment: what will lift this current UK lockdown (be it in March or April or May) is the over 50s and vulnerable groups being vaccinated, in theory we wouldn’t see another lockdown until next winter (that’s another thing they have to worry about now, restrictions potentially happening each winter) And so, unlike the Tenet thing where other later films fled after its US opening, we’re less likely to see that scenario if NTTD comes out as cinemas reopen again here. If Black Widow etc all stick it will help Bond’s performance in the long run. Between likely increased public confidence in returning to cinemas thanks to the vaccine being around (even the lack of vaccine didn’t seem to deter the UK with Tenet) and a better performance because it’s Bond, a repeat of Tenet’s fate seems less likely.

With most of the population vaccinated by the end of the year I don’t see why we should fear further restrictions. Perhaps people will need a “vaccine passport” for traveling and going to the movies.
    Bond would be the first big film coming out this year, if they stick to April, and that’s a huge gamble. Huge. Especially since vaccinations in the UE, a key market for Bond, are quite slow. With a mid October release Bond should fear Dune? A film with no star as a protagonist made by a great director struggling with the box office. Cruise will come out a month later. Being the first blockbuster released after the start of the vaccinations is risky, since who knows if people will be ready to go back to the movies in a crowded theater. I’m pretty sure in April theaters will still suffer some capacity restrictions, another factor that will jeopardize Bond’s run.

Plus, I don’t think MGM can afford a negative box office run. They’re not Disney or WB, with tons of big projects waiting in the pipeline. NTTD can’t make less than let’s say $600 million, quite an impossible target if it comes out in just 3 months...
  • In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal

Well, the first delay came in March 2020, i.e. 3 weeks before the slated release date, and there is nothing wrong to start the ticket sale. In October 2020.. they also did start the PR with the Buillie Eilishs video. EON does not owe the audience anything, the pandemic was clearly not their faults. In both cases, movie theatres had been closed. Blame Johnson or Trump for first ignoring Covid (with Trump still ignoring it, and is busy trying to blackmail senators to help him stay in office). But it's not their fault, either. This pandemic is the worst virus since 1918, we did not have to deal with this, as it is an unprecedented global disease. 86 million of people are/have been infected, and 1,8 millions have died in connection with Covid19. We all have to wait and be patient. There are more importantt things than waiting for a new movie.

First delay in March 2020? Erm sure there was a 14th February 2020 release date and even a 25th October 2019 release date ...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

First delay in March 2020? Erm sure there was a 14th February 2020 release date and even a 25th October 2019 release date ...

He was clearly speaking about Covid-related delays.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,394

Oh for crying out loud.We are all Bond fans here but at the end of the day its just a FILM! There are more important things going on in the world right now than the release of a new Bond.

i-want-it-now.jpg

• Thank you for invalidating my feelings as well. Yes, there are more important things going on in the world right now but that doesn't make this unimportant in itself. Otherwise, why are we are all on this website talking about it?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Thank you for invalidating my feelings as well. Yes, there are more important things going on in the world right now but that doesn't make this unimportant in itself. Otherwise, why are we are all on this website talking about it?

I think it's just that you're constantly crying out for validation and what I at least perceive to be entitlement regarding the film. I don't mean to offend, but you often come across as quite whiny! We're all in the same boat; as you said, we're all on this website talking about Bond because we love Bond and we want new Bond. But we also understand that in the current climate we're going to have to wait.

We have one of the richest franchises of them all; 14 novels and 24 films! Plus the non-official films, novels, Dynamite comics offerings... busy yourself man!

If you've got a creative hobby, create some new Bond content of your own! That's what I've been attempting to do. Get inspired!
  • The way I see it, the longer the wait, the more satisfying the experience (hopefully)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

He was clearly speaking about Covid-related delays.

Yeah, but you know how some people like to conflate how big of a disaster this film is.

"ANOTHER DELAY??? IS EON OUT OF THEIR MINDS???"
    There are more importantt things than waiting for a new movie.

Spoken like a true fan! For many - including myself - the release of NTTD was suppose to be one of the highlights of the year.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    There are more importantt things than waiting for a new movie.

Spoken like a true fan! For many - including myself - the release of NTTD was suppose to be one of the highlights of the year.

Doesn't make you any more of a fan than anyone else here, I'm afraid.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,314

Upwards of 100000 people are going to have died in Britain before April. Talk of a film (a FILM!!!) being barred and “snatched away” when people’s families are dying upwards of 1000 people a day, is rather silly don’t you think.
  • Release the bloody film now on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming so we can enjoy it while we're all cooped up indoors and have done with it. And yes this film is important to me as it is to all of us, otherwise why would we all be talking about it on this website?

I've always been aware of how deadly and contagious this virus is. I wasn't able to see my 92 year old great aunt before she passed away from all illness last summer (luckily not from the virus as far as my family's aware) because of the care home lockdowns in the UK, so don't you dare think I'm not taking this virus seriously. That however, doesn't make this film unimportant to me, nor should it to anyone else here and people who (like me) would prefer to see this film sooner than later shouldn't be castigated on a Bond forum for expressing that feeling.
    Release the bloody film now on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming so we can enjoy it while we're all cooped up indoors and have done with it. And yes this film is important to me as it is to all of us, otherwise why would we all be talking about it on this website?

I've always been aware of how deadly and contagious this virus is. I wasn't able to see my 92 year old great aunt before she passed away from all illness last summer (luckily not from the virus as far as my family's aware) because of the care home lockdowns in the UK, so don't you dare think I'm not taking this virus seriously. That however, doesn't make this film unimportant to me, nor should it to anyone else here and people who (like me) would prefer to see this film sooner than later shouldn't be castigated on a Bond forum for expressing that feeling.

If they carelessly released the film on physical and streaming without taking into account the financial consequences of doing so, I can assure you this would be the last Bond film you ever got to see. Does that make you a “good Bond fan”? Ushering the end of the franchise because you’re impatient? You need to think about delayed gratification my friend.

You need to come to terms with the fact that you have no idea how these things work.
  • We've already had to wait 9 extra months so far because of this pandemic - it will be a full year in April (if it comes out then - otherwise more than that). That is on top of a 4 and half year gap from the release of SP. Is that not enough delayed gratification?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We've already had to wait 9 extra months so far because of this pandemic - it will be a full year in April (if it comes out then - otherwise more than that). That is on top of a 4 and half year gap from the release of SP. Is that not enough delayed gratification?

I can't tell if you're trolling at this stage or simply offering a point of view that's nonsensical and no one else can get behind. Either wait or don't see the film, it's that simple. We're not owed anything, they haven't made any promises, no level of demanding will make the film release sooner. Try and have some patience and enjoy the other 24 official films of the series while we wait. That's literally all you can do.
    We've already had to wait 9 extra months so far because of this pandemic - it will be a full year in April (if it comes out then - otherwise more than that). That is on top of a 4 and half year gap from the release of SP. Is that not enough delayed gratification?

What do you want us to say? How do you want us to respond to you? Yes, we've waited a long time. Yes, it sucks. No, they won't release the film on alternate platforms if it isn't financially feasible to do that. Yes, it will be a negative mark on the franchise' future if the last Craig film is a straight-to-VOD release. Yes, your feelings of frustration are valid. We're all feeling the same thing. But we all understand the reality we're in and that we have to be patient while the world sorts out a pandemic that's killed millions. And then the cinema industry will have to sort out it's own future after a year of zero dollars in ticket sales. These are unprecedented times.
    Release the bloody film now on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming so we can enjoy it while we're all cooped up indoors and have done with it.

Which streaming service do you suggest? Do you think they'll pony up anything close to the asking price that would make it a more viable alternative to sticking to a cinema release? Just curious as to whether there's anything other than emotion driving your posts. I empathise with your frustrations, and I wish it were as simple as your posts suggest it to be.

Release the bloody film now on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming so we can enjoy it while we're all cooped up indoors and have done with it.

Which streaming service do you suggest? Do you think they'll pony up anything close to the asking price that would make it a more viable alternative to sticking to a cinema release? Just curious as to whether there's anything other than emotion driving your posts. I empathise with your frustrations, and I wish it were as simple as your posts suggest it to be.

Also he doesn't seem to want the film in 4K UHD which is an interesting position to take considering the current state of technology. ;)
    Release the bloody film now on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming so we can enjoy it while we're all cooped up indoors and have done with it. And yes this film is important to me as it is to all of us, otherwise why would we all be talking about it on this website?

They will lose hundreds of millions of dollars if they just release the film on dvd,blu ray,and streaming.How can you not know this? The film has a budget of in the region of 250 million ( and thats before marketing ) so they need the film to hit big at the box office to even have a chance of breaking even.

Bond movies are a business and they are not just going to dump the film on home media just to satisfy some impatient fans only to lose money.