No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am thinking two scenarios:

1. Push back to late summer (August, perhaps)
    2. Streaming
  • Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.

Didn't really work out for Wonder Woman though.

MGM is going under which is probably why they are desperate for a sale.

Once Bond 25 is released, theres going to be a lot of background reconfiguration before he returns.
  • Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.

Once Bond 25 is released, theres going to be a lot of background reconfiguration before he returns.

Then I guess MGM selling itself completely to a streaming service is more likely than a hybrid release?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.

There's option B, and that is that MGM doesn't get bought by any major player in the media landscape like Apple, Disney or WB; but that some private investors (in the entertainment industry) buy stock and MGM survives, but with new management But like their previous bankruptcy in 2010, I agree that Bond probably will dive underground before a return. This time, there's more at stake however: the passing of the torch to a new Bond makes it even more complicated. If a party like Apple buys MGM, you bet they want to be around that negotiating table with EON.
    Yes, EON calls the shots creatively, but every party involved wants to push their view. Look at Sony boss Amy Pascal who wanted Idris Elba if Craig called it quits.

It all comes down to timing. The negotiations appear to be very early days, so I don't expect a major deal (like with Apple) to be struck before the end of this year, if we compare it to Disney's acquisition of Fox. With a bit of luck, NTTD releases as an MGM film in the States, before the company switches owners.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

There's option B, and that is that MGM doesn't get bought by any major player in the media landscape like Apple, Disney or WB; but that some private investors (in the entertainment industry) buy stock and MGM survives, but with new management But like their previous bankruptcy in 2010, I agree that Bond probably will dive underground before a return. This time, there's more at stake however: the passing of the torch to a new Bond makes it even more complicated. If a party like Apple buys MGM, you bet they want to be around that negotiating table with EON.
    Yes, EON calls the shots creatively, but every party involved wants to push their view. Look at Sony boss Amy Pascal who wanted Idris Elba if Craig called it quits.

It all comes down to timing. The negotiations appear to be very early days, so I don't expect a major deal (like with Apple) to be struck before the end of this year, if we compare it to Disney's acquisition of Fox. With a bit of luck, NTTD releases as an MGM film in the States, before the company switches owners.

Perhaps the behind the scenes styff is why they havent announced a further postponement. Maybe there is a scenario where they release in certain areas in Cinema and are negotiating with a buyer for the rest of the world to have a digital release. Would have to be an Apple or Netflix level streamer in this case as they offer multiple countries their content.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    The significance of the 60th Anniversary is way overblown. NTTD will arrive mid to late 2021. Announce the new Bond on James Bond Day 2022 for the 60th Anniversary.
    mtm wrote: »
    Are the schedules really so full that they can't be out at different times? Are they still making films at the same rate they were 18 months ago?

no but there's just this backlog of delayed tentpoles....
    antovolk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Are the schedules really so full that they can't be out at different times? Are they still making films at the same rate they were 18 months ago?

no but there's just this backlog of delayed tentpoles....

And it keeps getting bigger...
    If it comes out at 2022 I wonder if people would even remember Spectre and who Madelyn Jackson is. I hope they do a good job of reintroducing her.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    If it comes out at 2022 I wonder if people would even remember Spectre and who Madelyn Jackson is. I hope they do a good job of reintroducing her.

I don’t think people would have even remembered in April 2020. It’s a massive mistake of the film to try and be a sequel to Spectre.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    It looks to me like it will be a pretty standalone experience. Moreso than Quantum of Solace (at least all characters here are alive and accounted for). As long as they don't reference White.

For all intents and purposes it looks like they're basically ditching the stepbrother angle. We don't really need much of the backstory from Spectre.

And as for the Spectre woman, trust me, it won't matter that she's appeared in both. That's something for only the superfans.
  • Yeah I really don’t think there’s going to be an issue with continuity — at least this time the recurring characters are all played by the same actors unlike Blofeld and Leighter constantly getting wildly different performers. Even going back one film I don’t think Mr. White coming back for Spectre was too much continuity for audiences to swallow.
  • BondLLCLawyerBondLLCLawyer Here and there mate- owning an LLC takes you there and back.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 10
    No one and I mean no one cares about the character of Madelaine, if they do, then like Hank Hill says that boy aint right! Big mistake to tie this into mythology. Barbara, EON? Where the hell is the movie. You no longer have any excuse as to why NTTD is not out there and being enjoyed. They really need to clean house at EON after this. They're finished. Would Cubby be smiling down upon you right now, Barbara? There could potentially be legal grounds for class action lawsuits down the road.
    Along these lines.................will NTTD start feeling dated by the time it releases if it contains too many current references or elements?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Such as what?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't wait for the scene where Bond has to call Q because he can't log into his Myspace account.
    It's just a "what if" because I have not seen the film so I don't know. At least the DB-5 and Omega will always age well. For one.................the phones could be way out of date.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    delfloria wrote: »
    Along these lines.................will NTTD start feeling dated by the time it releases if it contains too many current references or elements?

I thought a lot about that and my answer is no.

From the locations, to the set designs, the cars, the costumes, the cinematography... everything screams a timeless quality. Plus even tho we don't know for sure what Safin's treat is about, I cannot think at something more on point than a biological weapon/virus or whatever threatening humanity.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regarding Madeleine Swann I already saw that in the trailers. Pretty engaging storywise and on its own.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Regarding Madeleine Swann I already saw that in the trailers. Pretty engaging storywise and on its own.
    Her character was massively underwritten in SPECTRE, and the writers seem to be using that to their advantage this time. I enjoy Seydoux as an actress and look forward to Fukunaga’s interpretation of Swann. There is potential there after all, she is Mr. White’s daughter.
  • I wonder if a potential buyer of MGM would want some sort of contractual agreement re regular production schedules from EoN. EoN have obviously run out of steam/ideas, and pandered too much to their star. On the other hand, we don't want sausage factory Bond movies (akin to Disney Star Wars releases). It's a fine balance. I'd be happy with a film once every three years, and preferably standalone entries.
    As much as I like Craig, he should have left following SPECTRE. The very end felt final.
    I wonder if a potential buyer of MGM would want some sort of contractual agreement re regular production schedules from EoN. EoN have obviously run out of steam/ideas, and pandered too much to their star. On the other hand, we don't want sausage factory Bond movies (akin to Disney Star Wars releases). It's a fine balance. I'd be happy with a film once every three years, and preferably standalone entries.
    As much as I like Craig, he should have left following SPECTRE. The very end felt final.

The sausage factory approach seemed to work fine for 30+ years.

But I agree Craig should have stepped down between SP and Bond 25. Waiting 6 years to wrap up a story that was already pretty well wrapped up doesn't make much sense.

And regarding things seeming dated, I think theres little can be done to avoid it. When I first watched the trailer I was amazed and saddened by how much material seemed like recycled elements that have already been done to death in Craig's first four outings.

Bond is knackered, lost a step
    "The world has moved on, commander Bond"
    Theres a new kid on the block
    Someone has a secret past.
    Interview with a villain.
    Bond in hiding, again

Then you consider that Malek and Billie were both very "of the moment" picks in 2019, but "Bohemian Rhaphosdy" was a long time ago now, And Waltz is more than a bit washed up at this point.

You could be a teenager taking a date to see Bond 25, and your parents could have been to see CR on their first date. I think it's time for a big refresh after B25 finally makes it to screens.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    With Christopher Nolan as far away from it as possible.

Tenet proves that Nolan shouldn't even be able to get anywhere near Bond.

Maybe before he grew so successful and was new kid on the block but he has believed is own hype and produced an awful film in the process.

I can see a possibility of CF being called back for the new actor.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Shardlake wrote: »
    With Christopher Nolan as far away from it as possible.

Tenet proves that Nolan shouldn't even be able to get anywhere near Bond.

Maybe before he grew so successful and was new kid on the block but he has believed is own hype and produced an awful film in the process.

I can see a possibility of CF being called back for the new actor.

CF will be too busy finally finishing Red Dead Redemption 2 😉
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I wonder if a potential buyer of MGM would want some sort of contractual agreement re regular production schedules from EoN. EoN have obviously run out of steam/ideas, and pandered too much to their star. On the other hand, we don't want sausage factory Bond movies (akin to Disney Star Wars releases). It's a fine balance. I'd be happy with a film once every three years, and preferably standalone entries.

But I agree Craig should have stepped down between SP and Bond 25. Waiting 6 years to wrap up a story that was already pretty well wrapped up doesn't make much sense.

And regarding things seeming dated, I think theres little can be done to avoid it. When I first watched the trailer I was amazed and saddened by how much material seemed like recycled elements that have already been done to death in Craig's first four outings.

Bond in hiding, again

Then you consider that Malek and Billie were both very "of the moment" picks in 2019, but "Bohemian Rhaphosdy" was a long time ago now, And Waltz is more than a bit washed up at this point.

You could be a teenager taking a date to see Bond 25, and your parents could have been to see CR on their first date. I think it's time for a big refresh after B25 finally makes it to screens.

They didn’t wait 6 years. Covid and lockdowns are hardly EoN’s fault, lol.
    matt_u wrote: »

Bond in hiding, again

They didn’t wait 6 years. Covid and lockdowns are hardly EoN’s fault, lol.

Covid didn't arrive until 2020.

Spectre was release in 2015.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No one and I mean no one cares about the character of Madelaine, if they do, then like Hank Hill says that boy aint right! Big mistake to tie this into mythology. Barbara, EON? Where the hell is the movie. You no longer have any excuse as to why NTTD is not out there and being enjoyed. They really need to clean house at EON after this. They're finished. Would Cubby be smiling down upon you right now, Barbara? There could potentially be legal grounds for class action lawsuits down the road.

@BondLLCLawyer
    Wow, quite a way for someone new here to introduce himself.

I care about the character of Madelaine. No, there's nothing wrong with me. Perhaps you haven't learned about the subjective nature of these things yet. Taste, opinion, ... no? Well, you might want to start there.

Where the hell is the movie? Uh, ... you haven't been watching the News in the past 10 months? That's where. Tenet and WW84 didn't exactly do so well. I'm sure the people involved do not want to suffer those losses! I'm furthermore interested in seeing this film in theatres and ... there's not a lot happening in them right now. So I'm perfectly willing to wait a little longer if that means being able to enjoy NTTD without having to worry that the person sitting next to me will give me a virus that could kill me.

Ow sure, blame Barbara. That seems to be the desperate thing to do anyway.

And uh, class action lawsuits? What legal grounds? Enlighten us, please. This should be good.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

And uh, class action lawsuits? What legal grounds? Enlighten us, please. This should be good.

Why not? Do you remember the lawsuit I took out against you Dimi, for putting out those photos of me and that sea turtle? I got damages, although you won custody of the turtle.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,861
    jake24 wrote: »
    Her character was massively underwritten in SPECTRE, and the writers seem to be using that to their advantage this time. I enjoy Seydoux as an actress and look forward to Fukunaga’s interpretation of Swann. There is potential there after all, she is Mr. White’s daughter.

Yes agreed there, they have quite a lot of room to play with with her character and Seydoux is very good.

Spectre gets trashed a lot for the Brofeld thing, with good reason, but I actually don't think the idea of Bond falling in love with an old enemy's long lost daughter is a bad one at all, and I rather like the plot of Mr White knowing that Bond is his best bet of protecting her. That's all rather neat. It's kind of a slight inversion of the situation of Bond, Tracy and Draco.