NTTD & Corona

Comments

They will encompass NTTD now in with the 60th Anniversary of Bond in 2022! Although i am hoping for sooner? I can't see it at the minute?! The world as we knew it? Feels an awful long way away.
  • Well, now the 60th is less than a year away now ;) doesn't seem so long!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    They will encompass NTTD now in with the 60th Anniversary of Bond in 2022! Although i am hoping for sooner? I can't see it at the minute?! The world as we knew it? Feels an awful long way away.

Well, now the 60th is less than a year away now ;) doesn't seem so long!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Depending on what date you choose:

Oct. 5th, because DN had its world premiere on that day?
    That's still 1 3/4 years away.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    In Germany the lockdown will probably (and rightfully) extended till January 31 and maybe even beyond that date. Although I want to watch NTTD, another delay is more likely. The doctors and virologists need stable data how goos the vacine works, and they will need more time.
    The data is there and the vaccine works. The question is how quickly it can be rolled out.

In UK terms (and US too), the expectation is that the most vulnerable should be vaccinated by April, therefore ending the cycle of lockdowns at the moment including the one UK is about to announce. This would put NTTD in a very similar situation to Tenet last summer - almost identical as I'll be surprised if the safety measures like masks and distancing in cinemas go, except probably more public confidence with vaccine being around. So therefore does NTTD take this, or do they push again just for the opportunity to get a billion and have the whole world at full strength?
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    No WW3 got green lit quickly as a show of confidence by the studio as a marketing ploy because the reviews for WW2 fell dramatically and the film is getting at best mixed reviews from audiences

Interesting conspiracy theory but it doesnt sound realistic.Disregarding reviews the film has performed well ( In Pandemic times ) and Patty Jenkins has a few films lined up including a Cleopatra movie and a Star Wars film.WW3 is being fast tracked because she and Gadot are going to be busy over the next few years.

Cleopatra, Star Wars, then WW3. That’s not fast tracking. That’s nothing. Or rather, marketing.

WW3 IS happening.Did they announce a sequel to Terminator:Dark Fate mere days after it opened? No.Did they announce a sequel to the latest Charlies Angels reboot mere days after it opened? No.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A further delay is inevitable. As long as EMA doesn’t approve the Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines the UE won’t be able to start a real mass vaccination campaign. April is just too early and NTTD simply can’t make Tenet kind of numbers.
    As I see things they have two choices, since an hybrid release looks unlikely: release the film sometime in 2021 once theaters will be able to work with a full capacity in key markets, likely targeting a break even gross within the $600/650 million range, or waiting for 2022 (losing another $30 million) in order to make almost a pre Covid gross.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    antovolk wrote: »
    The data is there and the vaccine works. The question is how quickly it can be rolled out.

In UK terms (and US too), the expectation is that the most vulnerable should be vaccinated by April, therefore ending the cycle of lockdowns at the moment including the one UK is about to announce. This would put NTTD in a very similar situation to Tenet last summer - almost identical as I'll be surprised if the safety measures like masks and distancing in cinemas go, except probably more public confidence with vaccine being around. So therefore does NTTD take this, or do they push again just for the opportunity to get a billion and have the whole world at full strength?
    This is the big question. Neither the original April date or November release would have even been possible as the world was essentially closed during both those periods. Come April, it might be the first release date where a theatrical release would be logistically possible. The question is whether or not they are willing to cut their losses and release it when they can, or delay it to later in the year.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    No WW3 got green lit quickly as a show of confidence by the studio as a marketing ploy because the reviews for WW2 fell dramatically and the film is getting at best mixed reviews from audiences

Interesting conspiracy theory but it doesnt sound realistic.Disregarding reviews the film has performed well ( In Pandemic times ) and Patty Jenkins has a few films lined up including a Cleopatra movie and a Star Wars film.WW3 is being fast tracked because she and Gadot are going to be busy over the next few years.

Cleopatra, Star Wars, then WW3. That’s not fast tracking. That’s nothing. Or rather, marketing.

WW3 IS happening.Did they announce a sequel to Terminator:Dark Fate mere days after it opened? No.Did they announce a sequel to the latest Charlies Angels reboot mere days after it opened? No.

No one said it isn’t happening. It’s not a fast track, it’s marketing. You don’t know the biz. They feared Jenkin’s vision, they feared the falling ratings, they feared word of mouth and polarization... and they were right to fear, it fell 67% in its second week.
    jake24 wrote: »

This is the big question. Neither the original April date or November release would have even been possible as the world was essentially closed during both those periods. Come April, it might be the first release date where a theatrical release would be logistically possible. The question is whether or not they are willing to cut their losses and release it when they can, or delay it to later in the year.

April is too close. Delaying a whole year just to make a Tenet kind of gross? Doesn’t make sense to me. Anyway, hopefully summer releases will stick this time. Theaters need cash.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    matt_u wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

April is too close. Delaying a whole year just to make a Tenet kind of gross? Doesn’t make sense to me. Anyway, hopefully summer releases will stick this time. Theaters need cash.

Anything could happen. The world is in chaos.
  • If it can't come out in April (quite unlikely at the moment) or summer, just release it on DVD, Blu-ray and pay per view streaming at that point. It's a safer bet at right now than delaying it yet again for another 6 months or more (which still won't be a certainty that it will come out at that point).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    If it can't come out in April (quite unlikely at the moment) or summer, just release it on DVD, Blu-ray and pay per view streaming at that point. It's a safer bet at right now than delaying it yet again for another 6 months or more (which still won't be a certainty that it will come out at that point).

In what sense is it a safer bet?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Has there been any news on the sale of MGM? This is the only thing that I could see bringing the films release before winter 2021. Its been strangely quite since the news first broke. I have checked social media for updates but only find information pertaining to the asking price in October and the hiring of a american brokerage firm to assist the sale.
  • At least at that point, the film would be out and start to make some money back - obviously nothing compared to a cinema release but at some money rather than nothing - and this mess would be behind us. Wouldn't you prefer that than the uncertainty of another delay, followed by them waiting until the last moment while marketing it like crazy before delaying the film again and so on and so forth? I'm just tired of all this at this point.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    At least at that point, the film would be out and start to make some money back - obviously nothing compared to a cinema release but at some money rather than nothing - and this mess would be behind us. Wouldn't you prefer that than the uncertainty of another delay, followed by them waiting until the last moment while marketing it like crazy before delaying the film again and so on and so forth? I'm just tired of all this at this point.

You should just stay patient and keep waiting.
  • Patience has its limits. If the film were to be delayed again (say, to November 2021 for example) and we knew, in advance, that the film was definitely coming out at that point and that the film wouldn't be delayed again, that would be brilliant. I would be content with that.

Unfortunately, even if the film is delayed again, we won't have that guarantee. So even if you support the film being delayed to November or even some point in 2022, you still won't necessarily get the film after all that waiting. So what then?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What else are you to do, though, but wait? I keep seeing comments about hope and guarantees and whatnot but our only choice is to await the film's release, which will likely be this year, even if it does receive another delay.

"Patience has its limits" - and what happens when that limit has been met? Are you simply not going to see the film then or something? I'm just curious what some are getting at when they say things like that.
    Unfortunately, even if the film is delayed again, we won't have that guarantee. So even if you support the film being delayed to November or even some point in 2022, you still won't necessarily get the film after all that waiting. So what then?

Wait some more?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Patience has its limits. If the film were to be delayed again (say, to November 2021 for example) and we knew, in advance, that the film was definitely coming out at that point and that the film wouldn't be delayed again, that would be brilliant. I would be content with that.

Nothing in life is ever guaranteed.
  • Nothing in life is ever guaranteed.
    Very true, and I knew that someone was going to say that but we have been promised this film several times (5 different release dates now) and that promise has yet to be kept (i.e. the film coming out when EON says it will). Yes, patience is a virtue but the point is you eventually have to receive the item or event that you have been waiting for. You're not just waiting for the sake of it, or to show that you're a virtuous person.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited January 2021 Posts: 8,000
    Very true, and I knew that someone was going to say that but we have been promised this film several times (5 different release dates now) and that promise has yet to be kept (i.e. the film coming out when EON says it will). Yes, patience is a virtue but the point is you eventually have to receive the item or event that you have been waiting for. You're not just waiting for the sake of it, or to show that you're a virtuous person.

You only have two choices: Wait, or give up.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Nobody made promises to anyone; they shot the film, slated it for release, and it's been delayed numerous times due to a global pandemic. We're not owed anything. You'll have to keep waiting for its release like everyone else.

Man a global pandemic it’s not EoN fault. Because of Covid a lot of people lost their jobs, parents or friends, hope and even dignity. Many lost their future, many will lose it, and it’s not even their fault.
    In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal, since at one point it will come out and besides, it looks awesome.
  • In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal
    It is when you consider the waiting that we had already gone through before the March 2020 delay, it was barely a month away from release, you could actually book tickets for it and then it was suddenly snatched away from our hands and we're barred from seeing it for the foreseeable future or until the world gets this pandemic under control (I'm not holding my breath that's going to be this year the way things are going).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2021 Posts: 8,009
    In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal
    It is when you consider the waiting that we had already gone through before the March 2020 delay, it was barely a month away from release, you could actually book tickets for it and then it was suddenly snatched away from our hands and we're barred from seeing it for the foreseeable future or until the world gets this pandemic under control (I'm not holding my breath that's going to be this year the way things are going).

It's very hard to argue against this without simply repeating reasons stated numerous times, as it is evidently purely based in emotion and not the cold hard facts of business. I'm sorry the repeated delays are causing you so much consternation - but for you, it's just a film. For the people who invested in it, it isn't. You must keep reminding yourself of that.
    Anybody else read some of these posts and picture Veruca Salt from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory whining "But I want it now!"?

I'd love the film too, but I'm just glad to make it home from work each day still healthy and knowing my family and friends are also.
  • Thank you for very much for trying to invalidate my feelings on this.
    I didn't name you in particular and I apologize if you took it as a personal shot at you, RogerJonMoorePertwee.

It was meant as a general swipe at the number of people who have expressed the delays as something unfair and promised and all that. This is an unprecedented time in our time. We're making sacrifices and there isn't much we can do about it. It's just harder for some of us to understand how not getting to see NTTD will make the experience any less satisfying having to wait longer.
    In the current world waiting one or two years for a film to come out it’s not a big deal

That's not EoN fault. They want NTTD released more thank anyone, it's their business. Keep it in mind.