Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tenet made $4,600,000 on its 3rd domestic weekend. From 2930 theaters playing it, this makes for an average of 6 to 7 tickets sold per showing.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Finally, I watched Tenet this afternoon on the big screen for the first time. I wasn't in cinema since March and it was wonderful to be back...I really missed the big screen and the sound experience (but yes, I was lucky to have subtitles). I didn't even try to understand all the dialogues and read all the subs. There were only six poeple in the cinema. Why did two of them decide to sit only to rows behind me??? I decided to put my mask on and prepared myself to shut my eyes and ears as soon as the Bond trailer started. I succeded and Tenet started right after it.
    I hoped that I would be able to follow the story for awhile without being too confused...well, honestly, I was already confused during the opera scene. After finishing the movie, it made somehow sense that there were so many scenes with masks but it was definitely difficult to understand the dialogue and to understand who was who. Another problem was that it was even more difficult to feel sympathy for the protagonist, when we didn't see his proper face for the first 10 minutes.

Was the film heartless? Not for me, but yes, it is far away from touching. I could feel a bit of sympathy for the villain's wife but not for the rest.

Did I like the acting? Compared to other members: Yes. The vampire guy from Twilight was great, the rest was at least solid for me. No issues with the main villain for me. I liked his performance.

Did I like the music: Definitely special, but all in all in positive way.

Did I understand the plot? Hell, no!

Summary of the plot: "This looks cool...but...why are they doing this?!"

Question 1 out of 1200: If I can catch an inversed bullet (which is on the table) by opening my hand, how can I throw it away afterwords?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Because you've outversed it. Reclaimed it.

[I'm done.]
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,682
    I decided to put my mask on and prepared myself to shut my eyes and ears as soon as the Bond trailer started. I succeded and Tenet started right after it.
    Ha, still here among us Colders, very good!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I decided to put my mask on and prepared myself to shut my eyes and ears as soon as the Bond trailer started. I succeded and Tenet started right after it.

Of course. Although it is very hard with all those shifts of the release date. I thought I'd need to manage a trailer boycott for two or three months and now it is already for much, much longer.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Of course. Although it is very hard with all those shifts of the release date. I thought I'd need to manage a trailer boycott for two or three months and now it is already for much, much longer.
    Oh yes, things have been more difficult and protracted than anticipated, to say the least.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tenet arriving on Blu Ray on December 15th, 2020.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I honestly don’t understand the praise for JDW, I thought his performance was extremely flat.

I disagree with this.

Firstly, Washington doesn't really have much on the page to actually play. The Protagonist isn't actually a fleshed out character. I think that is effectively by design.

However, Washington imbues him with a fantastic physicality. I mean, this guy is so bloody good in the fight sequences. Brilliant work!

But he's also damn slick and just plain cool. Which is really what the performance requires. I particularly love that introductory shot of him in the car before the opera siege where he catches the bullet. Plus, he looks good in a suit and with a role like this posing is a big part of the equation (the same can be said of DC in the Bond films).

But I do understand why people might not be overwhelmed by Washington. He can feel a little muted at times. Especially in the romance scenes (which is more Nolan's fault than his). But there are some flickers of brilliant acting in there - like when he wakes up after the cyanide pill and when he says goodbye to Neil.

If there was a sequel, I'd watch it....Though Tenet's domestic numbers would probably mean The Protagonist isn't coming back anytime soon. Perhaps Washington could be the new Black Panther? Since the tragic passing of Boseman, it would be a shame to write that character out. But I do understand that it be hard for fans and the filmmakers to imagine someone else in that role so soon after what happened.

John-David-Washington-Tenet-Movie-Premiere-Fashion-Giorgio-Armani-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-2.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Again, if anyone wants a hell of a performance from JDW then BlacKkKlansman is the film to check out.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Finaly another Dutch Boxoffice update, the movie did $7,914,128 in 7 weaks. Bad Boys 3 did $6,457,958 in 8 weaks the movie was seen before cinema's closed till 1 June.

I think Warner can be happy with Dutch Boxoffice. But in total the movie did 334 million and 50 million of those is from the VS.

• Stinging numbers for Tenet.....

I have a feeling that Tenet would have been a turkey even in a pre-covid world. It was far too complex, sterile and devoid of creative spark and mischief. It didn't have the dramatic edge that distinguished and elevated the similarly themed Inception. It only felt natural that audiences would reject such a film.

In fact, I think critics were kinder to Tenet based on the whole 'cinemas are back' narrative. In this sense, I actually think the critical response to Tenet was warmer than it would have been without covid.

The interesting thing is what happens to Christopher Nolan now? He's not exactly been covered in glory in the press and Tenet has flopped and won't get awards attention. Oddly enough, maybe one of the most 2020 things to happen to the film industry is for Christopher Nolan to become an underdog!

I guess Nolan may struggle to make ambitious original $200m films. Maybe he'll turn on WB and go to Apple? Maybe he'll return to a franchise? Perhaps a fourth Batman film(!) or even Bond(!!).....Let's hope he realises that he desperately needs a writer!!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tenet was both incredibly creative and very dramatic, but obviously not for everyone.
    I love it.

And I love being a part of cinema history as able to support the film during its release. Christopher Nolan's real world brave and well-intentioned ethos to release it to try to reestablish theater attendance was the right thing to do. As in the story, you may pay a price for doing the right thing.

• Stinging numbers for Tenet.....

I have a feeling that Tenet would have been a turkey even in a pre-covid world. It was far too complex, sterile and devoid of creative spark and mischief. It didn't have the dramatic edge that distinguished and elevated the similarly themed Inception. It only felt natural that audiences would reject such a film.

In fact, I think critics were kinder to Tenet based on the whole 'cinemas are back' narrative. In this sense, I actually think the critical response to Tenet was warmer than it would have been without covid.

The interesting thing is what happens to Christopher Nolan now? He's not exactly been covered in glory in the press and Tenet has flopped and won't get awards attention. Oddly enough, maybe one of the most 2020 things to happen to the film industry is for Christopher Nolan to become an underdog!

I guess Nolan may struggle to make ambitious original $200m films. Maybe he'll turn on WB and go to Apple? Maybe he'll return to a franchise? Perhaps a fourth Batman film(!) or even Bond(!!).....Let's hope he realises that he desperately needs a writer!!!

I don't think Nolan will have any trouble making movies again but I'm guessing that his next film will likely have a slightly lower (but still $100 million+) budget and a more accessible style/plot.
    I think Nolan should just try going back to a more modest production like his earlier films like THE PRESTIGE. Wouldn't have to worry about it making half a billion dollars.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Dutch release (21 December):

850x1200.jpg
    2 Disc BD (Film + Bonus Disc)

922x1200.jpg
    3 Disc 4K steelbook (4K + 2 Disc BD)

550x769.jpg
    3 Disc 4K (4K + 2 Disc BD)

And Warner let Watertower Music release 2 Disc soundtrack (19 tracks) of the movie on 27 November

550x550.jpg
    It s been four months, and this is still showing here.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,241

Must be in certain cities or cinema chains. The film only got a regular run at the local cinemas in my area.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

It was released here on 4th December, very late :(
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,416
    In The Netherlands the movie did $ 9.407.320 with moost in first seven weaks, the last 8-9 almoost nothing including weaks it be closed. A litle bit more succes then QOS (almoost 9) and TDK (almoost 8) in 2008. Then Mamma Mia, QOS and Madagascar 2 be top 3. TDK end 5th after The Kite Runner.

Top 3 of this year in The Netherlands i think is Trolls 2, Tenet and Bad Boys 3.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's an interesting movie, complex and certainly demanding multiple viewings, but fascinating otherwise. It's the expensive big brother to films like Primer, Coherence, Predestination and Synchronicity. But Nolan has to be careful because he's squeezing his fanbase into a smaller niche with films like these. Inception was accessible enough to please mainstream audiences as well as fans of hard sci-fi. Tenet barely takes the time to explain anything at all, drops its rules like a highschool textbook and apparently expects everyone to have explored some of the philosophical consequences of the second law of thermodynamics. There's always that risk of sacrificing entertainment for highbrow exposition, especially with Nolan being even less 'didactic' in this one than in, say, Interstellar. At least there's a "key" to figuring out Tenet, but I haven't found it yet. I'll have to see the film again and again before I do. It's not a David Lynch film, though, with not even the director fully understanding his own material. ;-)

Must be in certain cities or cinema chains. The film only got a regular run at the local cinemas in my area.

I can confirm Tenet is still playing in US theaters. I was there yesterday for a different film, and watch listings for what's scheduled locally.

tenor.gif

• edited December 2020 Posts: 17,241

I can confirm Tenet is still playing in US theaters. I was there yesterday for a different film, and watch listings for what's scheduled locally.

tenor.gif

Interesting. I was thinking Norway specifically in this case though, but it looks like it's still available in some cities. Where I live however, it's not available. The cinemas in larger cities have more auditoriums, which allows them to show more films (and presumably for longer periods too).

tenor.gif

Interesting. I was thinking Norway specifically in this case though, but it looks like it's still available in some cities. Where I live however, it's not available. The cinemas in larger cities have more auditoriums, which allows them to show more films (and presumably for longer periods too).

Yes, here there are six.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This is one of those movies that you know everyone will have on their "top ten of the decade" list. Felt the same about "inception".

Just the idea of future generations inventing a tech to invert the flow of the universe because the rivers ran dry, is so fascinating a conceit.

Christopher Nolan conceives and puts on screen things which no one has ever seen, in an era where everything is rebooted or recycled. If he doesn't direct B26, it's a huge missed opportunity.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I agree that it was a great idea, albeit one hampered by awful execution and way too much exposition. I don't see the film being as universally praised as Inception was but yes, won't be surprised seeing it on several Top 10 of the Year lists (though I suppose that's not saying much, what with the state of Hollywood in 2020).
    I don’t think it would be much of a loss for Bond if Nolan doesn’t direct a film. His abysmal handling of sound mixing is enough for me to reject him from making one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don’t think it would be much of a loss for Bond if Nolan doesn’t direct a film. His abysmal handling of sound mixing is enough for me to reject him from making one.

That is strange, isn't it? Why would Nolan and/or his sound mixer opt for this? I've heard interesting attempts at explaining it, one of which is that he doesn't want us to pay too much attention to dialogue and let the story tell itself in a visual manner instead. I'm not sure I'm buying that explanation, though, because why have any dialogue at all in that case? He might as well get really experimental then and produce a 'silent' movie.

Nah, I'm still clueless as to why the sound mixing is "off". It's detrimental to our experience.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That is strange, isn't it? Why would Nolan and/or his sound mixer opt for this? I've heard interesting attempts at explaining it, one of which is that he doesn't want us to pay too much attention to dialogue and let the story tell itself in a visual manner instead. I'm not sure I'm buying that explanation, though, because why have any dialogue at all in that case? He might as well get really experimental then and produce a 'silent' movie.

Nah, I'm still clueless as to why the sound mixing is "off". It's detrimental to our experience.

It's funny how, on one hand, they wouldn't want us focusing too heavily on the dialogue, yet on the other, they pack so many sequences full of exposition and repeated details.

The one line in the film really stood out to me in this regard: "don't try to understand it - feel it." It's one actor essentially speaking to the audience, asking them not to think too heavily on a plot that obviously demands you overthink how it all works and operates. Crazy.