The James Bond Movie Trivia Quiz

Comments

• Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    I'm sure we must all be skirting around the answer.

The window may or may not break all the way through. The depressurisation may or may not happen. It probably wouldn't be strong enough to drag anyone across the cabin even if it did, and the window is too small anyway.

Is it still something different you're looking for?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The hammer isn't cocked.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    The depressurisation may or may not happen. It probably wouldn't be strong enough to drag anyone across the cabin even if it did
    Yes, and there's a special reason for that.

• R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,002
    marc wrote: »
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    The depressurisation may or may not happen. It probably wouldn't be strong enough to drag anyone across the cabin even if it did
    Yes, and there's a special reason for that.

Far fetched guess but maybe because the window shutter could still be pulled down ?
    No. There had been a possibly helpful prompt in this passage:
    Wikipedia says: 'For aircraft certified to operate above 25,000 feet (FL 250; 7,600 m), it "must be designed so that occupants will not be exposed to cabin pressure altitudes in excess of 15,000 feet (4,600 m) after any probable failure condition in the pressurization system." '
    Clue: Many people will think 'O no, there's a hole in the airplane'. But actually that wouldn't be a problem, for a certain reason.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Clue: Many people will think 'O no, there's a hole in the airplane'. But actually that wouldn't be a problem, for a certain reason.

Because it was on the ground, inside a film studio?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,608
    There's something to that. But no; it's about how planes are constructed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Because it was on the ground, inside a film studio?

Haha! :D
    New clue - I've read that in one occasion a five-square-foot hole opened in the roof of a plane, but there were no major injuries.
    - 'compensation' is a prompt
    - (almost giving it away) it wouldn't be the only hole
    New clue: airplanes are prepared for holes in windows
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't know this one either! :)
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Thanks for the interesting link! Well, the book I got my information from apparently neglected danger from the pilots not applying oxygen masks in time. The book also assumes the pilot, after the incident, is not somehow prevented of bringing down the plane to a safer altitude soon.
    But it implies that not using a seatbelt wouldn't be a problem in case just one entire window is shattered; don't know if that's true.
    So let's just assume these assumptions of the book are valid.
    clue: I'm looking for a technical device that starts with letter 'v'.
    - airplanes have a certain system
    The prompt I had been referring to starts with 'va'.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    A vacuum safety system?
    Yes, I think that's a proper expression 👍 ; I was referring to valves with which planes regulate pressure. Which means they already have holes and automatically shut them if there's another hole. (That's at least what I've read in my smart book)
    Over to you
    Planes may have valves now, but did they at the time of the movie ? Or the book for that matter ? After all, I remember the troubles DeHavilland got into with the Comet way back when. More specifically because of the plane's square windows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet
    I'm not an expert, but this article states that airplane pressurization systems became widespread around 1950, having been developed in the 30s:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization#:~:text=The cabin pressure is regulated,a pressurized cabin, was introduced.

Yes, from the De Havilland article I get that the square windows were found to be one of six potential mechanical/aerodynamic causes of the fatal accidents by the Abell Committee Court of Inquiry, but fire was the most likely. If I've understood correctly, a fatal consequence of the square windows' weakness (viewed independently from metal fatigue) could not be proven.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    What Bond composer did the soundtracks for Stagnate and Independence Day?
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    Correction: I meant to say Stargate.
    David Arnold.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Gerard wrote: »
    David Arnold.

Feel free to go on. The question before this one was answered only very vaguely by me and I haven't a good question ready.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 5,772
    As I type this on my phone, I'll go with something easy :

What do FRWL, TSWLM and DAD have in common ?

Clue : it's something that happened outside of Bond. If not, you could add two movies to the list.
    Maybe Bond girls (seemingly) on the verge of shooting Bond? Tatiana and Anya in their (almost) last scenes and Miranda Frost in the Ice Palace.
    (I know it isn't outside Bond, but I couldn't think of something better)
    No, that's not it. Here's a clue : After for the first two, before (and twice) for the third one.