Was Brosnan's best Bond 'The Tailor of Panama'?

124»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Brosnan was good in it but TTOP is no GE. Sorry.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Brosnan was good in it but TTOP is no GE. Sorry.

True. It's much better!
    I think I already said it here, but in TTOP Brosnan plays an anti-Bond.
    Yes and sadly he's much better in that type of roll. Makes me wonder what Tarrantino would have got from Brosnan. Such an intriguing thought.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    November man and it's not even close... and taylor of panama he doesnt even fight in that, is that a joke?

Is what a joke?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    November man and it's not even close... and taylor of panama he doesnt even fight in that, is that a joke?

You think November Man is Brosnan's best Bond? ...
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 613
    Brosnan has done some excellent work, but I never liked him as Bond.

My favorite of his performances is one that is probably little seen -- as Phileas Fogg in the TV mini-series AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. My favorite of his action-thriller performances is in the underrated LIVE WIRE.

Also, if you've never seen an episode of REMINGTON STEELE, the program that launched Brosnan to stardom, get on that right away. It was a delightful program, and Brosnan's leading man charisma was off the charts.
  • As a “Brosnan fanboy”, I thought he gave a great performance consistently throughout his films, even if they fluctuated in quality. Having said that, he is the only Bond not to be given a “Fleming” styled story, which is a real shame.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've said it before but I like to picture The Matador as his fifth unofficial Bond film, only now he's a completely burnt out, flamboyant, extravagant hitman just living out his older years doing contracts and screwing everything in sight while downing as much alcohol and cigarettes as he possibly can.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've said it before but I like to picture The Matador as his fifth unofficial Bond film, only now he's a completely burnt out, flamboyant, extravagant hitman just living out his older years doing contracts and screwing everything in sight while downing as much alcohol and cigarettes as he possibly can.

Belter of a film, and he's absolutely superb in it.
  • I haven’t seen Matador, but I do have a soft spot for November Man. He was just awesome in that film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I haven’t seen Matador, but I do have a soft spot for November Man. He was just awesome in that film.

Highly recommend The Matador. A very funny, sharply written film with great performances. Perfect for a Friday night.
  • I haven’t seen Matador, but I do have a soft spot for November Man. He was just awesome in that film.

Highly recommend The Matador. A very funny, sharply written film with great performances. Perfect for a Friday night.

Then I shall add it to my watch list!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven’t seen Matador, but I do have a soft spot for November Man. He was just awesome in that film.

This. In fact, it's easily my favorite non-Bond performance of his. Sublime.
    Brozzer had the unenviable task of carrying the series on his back and he did so with aplomb despite not getting the best materials to work with. Like Sean before him his in betweens and non-Bonds at their best have an energy and freshness to them where you see the actor getting to throw off the constraints and sink his teeth into something.

I think his best other films are Seraphim Falls and especially The Ghost Writer. The first is a surprisingly good indie Western with PB and Liam Neeson cast against type that only wavers at its climax. The latter is simply one of the few films in the past 20 years that makes you sit up and go: I forgot what a really intelligent picture was like.

He was also good in The Foreigner and so much so that the Jackie Chan character's plotline felt forced and you wish the film had simply been about his politician character's struggles. I try to see every film I can from series regulars and as a kid first encountered the magic of TAFFIN.....I'm so happy it's not just me who thinks the line reading is hysterically awesome. I remember stopping the VHS tape I had rented, rewinding and playing that bit over and over. It's a Brosnan classic up there with Painface.

One wishes he could have brought some of the nastiness of Osnard to Bond and I think we get a fleeting glimpse in some moments but not enough. I think his best Bond performance is GE and there's so much there beneath the surface that he practically smolders on screen. But then again the whole film is about analyzing 007 in the post Cold War 90's and so a great deal of the performance is subtextual.