Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

I had this idea that Hunt would appear to die a heroes death but then, after the end titles, we see the surviving members of the team receive their orders for their next mission and it's Hunt's voice. ("this tape will self distruct in five seconds") Setting up the next movie with a note of hope and intrigue. (pure theft from Wrath of Khan)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861
    patb wrote: »
    I had this idea that Hunt would appear to die a heroes death but then, after the end titles, we see the surviving members of the team receive their orders for their next mission and it's Hunt's voice. ("this tape will self distruct in five seconds") Setting up the next movie with a note of hope and intrigue. (pure theft from Wrath of Khan)

That is quite fun :)

I don't think they should kill Ethan off, but doing something like that would be rather good. It's interesting because it's something the format can do: in a Bond film you can't do a fakeout that Bond has died, but an MI film without Ethan is technically possible so you could well play with that idea. I thought they might actually be killing Benji at the end of the last one.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    But Benji is the required light hearted character, that gives the films a little humour along the way.
    Besides, they already killed of Alec Baldwin. I would've liked to see at least one of Hunts bosses live a little bit longer.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Benny wrote: »
    But Benji is the required light hearted character, that gives the films a little humour along the way.

I suppose that depends on whether you find him funny or not! I personally find him a tad annoying rather than funny and was hoping they would kill him off. Though - casting aside my opinion on his humor Benji has been given some semblance of an arc - so I think it would be quite effective to have him killed and it's a more personal motive for Hunt. They've kind of played out the 'ideological' motive for him by now.

I agree about Baldwin, though. I was disappointed they killed him off so soon.
    I don't really find him amusing. But he is the 'comic' relief side kick.
    I'm not opposed to such characters being killed off. I'd rather Baldwins character had made it, and could get a similar sized role as he did in RN.
    To argue against myself, the difference with Khan is that Hunt is the leader (both on and off of the screen) so the impact on the audiance and the narrative is much deeper. Confirming he is alive prevents punters coming out depressed (thats why they had to re-edit Khan) and provides great PR and script opportunities re "will Hunt return" in the next movie.

They all know Cruise can't go on forever. I'm sure ideas have been "kicked around". It's an intruguing screnario and hard to look for similar situations. Iron Man?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I believe one of the initial plans (from the studio that is) was that MI4 would have moved on from Cruise, but I think that plan got kicked out pretty swiftly.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah. There was a rumour then that Jeremy Renner would be taking over. Although, I don't know how authentic it was.
    Perhaps they learnt from Bourne? just not an option IMHO
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Jeremy Renner managed to land the heir apparent role in two huge action franchises and couldn't make it stick in either.

I actually like the guy in both (well all three with MI5) films, but he isn't really a blockbuster lead..
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Jeremy Renner is one of those stars who just doesn't seem to have an "it" factor. I like him well enough and I like when he's in a film, but he just doesn't seem to have the charisma to be the lead.
    Ryan wrote: »
    Jeremy Renner is one of those stars who just doesn't seem to have an "it" factor. I like him well enough and I like when he's in a film, but he just doesn't seem to have the charisma to be the lead.

Have you seen 'The Hurt Locker'?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I think he's got plenty of charisma. I'm a bit sad he doesn't seem to be in this new MI, his is a good character.

• RyanRyan Canada
    Admittedly I haven't seen The Hurt Locker but perhaps it's just me. I don't dislike him by any means. To be quite honest I feel the same way about a few big names that audiences seem to love (Tom Hardy is another example).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    A Renner film I watched recently that I found him extremely good in is Kill The Messenger. As well as the above mentioned The Hurt Locker, he's also great in The Town and Wind River. I can kind of understand why people might say he has no charisma, but to me I think it's more that he tends to underplay things. Even in moments where a character is in great emotional distress, he shows great restraint.

His turns in the Mission Impossible, Avengers and Bourne franchises are not his best work though, I think. Likely as much to do with the writing as it does him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think he’s got a winning charm in those though. Bourne probably less so as that was a pretty thankless role really as he had to be a bit of a blank; and the slightly odd choice of making the lead character essentially a junkie didn’t help at all. It’s just not a great movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah I think he's got plenty of charisma. I'm a bit sad he doesn't seem to be in this new MI, his is a good character.

I'm guessing they're completely done with the character now, considering their original idea was to kill him off in the opening of Fallout.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm guessing they're completely done with the character now, considering their original idea was to kill him off in the opening of Fallout.

From the way McQ talks I don't think he's ever done with any character permanently: it just depends on whether he comes up with ideas of how to use them in the future. He was even looking at putting Dan Briggs in the films, until the idea fell away.
  • mtm wrote: »

From the way McQ talks I don't think he's ever done with any character permanently: it just depends on whether he comes up with ideas of how to use them in the future. He was even looking at putting Dan Briggs in the films, until the idea fell away.

Well, they're bringing back Kittridge from the first one so yeah I'd say no character could possibly be off the table. I do agree about Renner though. He was definitely the weakest part of Ghost Protocol. He wasn't playing the funny guy. He wasn't playing the charismatic action hero guy. He wasn't playing the looks-nice-in-a-dress-and-there-to-seduce-the-billionaire-with-connections-to-Russian-terrorists guy. I'm not really sure what they were trying to do with his character. He even fumbled what should have been fairly easy comedy in the scene with Pegg when they're talking about having to jump into an oversized microwave. I will say I like him fine as Hawkeye though. Maybe his M:I character was just too vaguely defined.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,541
    I might be in minority who enjoyed Renner in hurt locker and Bourne legacy a lot
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    To me it's not that he's missing charisma, he is just too intense in a slightly weird way.

Jem in The Town is plenty charismatic, but not in a Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise way. He's the guy who will talk you into trying pot for the first time and 15 years later you meet him again and somehow he talks you into getting hammered on a wednesday afternoon. Charismatic, but in a wholly un-aspirational way.

Aaron Cross is kind of similar. Just extremely single-minded and driven in an unnerving way. I completely bought that he could talk Rachel Weisz' character into doing all the shit she has to do, but there is zero chemistry. It's not like Bourne Identity where Damon gives this guy something Franka Potente can fall in love with. Cross is just full throttle, all the way. And apart from everything after they are out of that factory in Manila, I really like that movie.

As for Brandt, I fully believe that they got him to sign, by telling him he will take over after Ghost Protocol and then Cruise nixed that. His arc in that movie (and that entire storyline) makes much more sense if the ending is that Hunt goes to be with his wife and Brandt takes over the team lead. But I agree, that his specific high octane way of going about things would not really work long-time.
    Renner is the perfect example of when casting works and when it doesn't. No actor can play every roll perfectly. He was superb in Wind River , for example, but he never 100% pulls it off in MI.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well, they're bringing back Kittridge from the first one so yeah I'd say no character could possibly be off the table. I do agree about Renner though. He was definitely the weakest part of Ghost Protocol. He wasn't playing the funny guy. He wasn't playing the charismatic action hero guy. He wasn't playing the looks-nice-in-a-dress-and-there-to-seduce-the-billionaire-with-connections-to-Russian-terrorists guy. I'm not really sure what they were trying to do with his character. He even fumbled what should have been fairly easy comedy in the scene with Pegg when they're talking about having to jump into an oversized microwave. I will say I like him fine as Hawkeye though. Maybe his M:I character was just too vaguely defined.

Well, I don't think he messed any of that up, and I rather liked his disagreements with Hunt over their course of action- the part where it seemed he was actually working against Hunt was rather well done and brought some drama in I thought.
    Regarding the hovering magnet heating-up heist bit: I thought it was pretty good but looking back at that film my major objection to that part is that they fail that mission (seducing the Indian billionaire, hacking into his system) entirely and it doesn't really need to be in the film!
    But having more screen time for Paula Patton is always something to enjoy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Apparently I think her character actually is supposed to be related to Barbara Bain's from the TV series, which is sweet.
    I thought Renner's best performance was in the comedy Tag. He stood out as the most elusive and talented tag player in a group of adults who have been playing an ongoing game of tag since they were kids. Great cast. Renner hit the right notes as being cocky and funny at the same time.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    To me it's not that he's missing charisma, he is just too intense in a slightly weird way.

Jem in The Town is plenty charismatic, but not in a Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise way. He's the guy who will talk you into trying pot for the first time and 15 years later you meet him again and somehow he talks you into getting hammered on a wednesday afternoon. Charismatic, but in a wholly un-aspirational way.

Aaron Cross is kind of similar. Just extremely single-minded and driven in an unnerving way. I completely bought that he could talk Rachel Weisz' character into doing all the shit she has to do, but there is zero chemistry. It's not like Bourne Identity where Damon gives this guy something Franka Potente can fall in love with. Cross is just full throttle, all the way. And apart from everything after they are out of that factory in Manila, I really like that movie.

As for Brandt, I fully believe that they got him to sign, by telling him he will take over after Ghost Protocol and then Cruise nixed that. His arc in that movie (and that entire storyline) makes much more sense if the ending is that Hunt goes to be with his wife and Brandt takes over the team lead. But I agree, that his specific high octane way of going about things would not really work long-time.

Perhaps I was being a little unfair to say he has no charisma at all, but I think you've got it right in calling him a little too intense. I think that's probably what it is, and that's what makes him wrong for certain types of roles. He's perhaps a little too intense to bring the energy and levity that you get with the Connery's and Cruise's of the acting world - something needed in the lead of these types of spy thrillers.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,415
    Paramount and Universal going to diforce in January 2021. From then no longer it be Paramount / Universal going to release Paramount movies&series in The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg but Paramount / Dutch Film Works (DFW). Source: http://www.dvdinfo.be/nieuws.php?id=6320 (Dutch)

This can turn out as badnews if mean more then take over. It can mean no bonusmaterial or not subtiteld bonus material and mabey no longer Atmos, dts-hdma 7.1. There are earlier releases by Lions Gate with a disaopointed release by them insteed to choose Belga Home Entertainment.

Mission Impossible 7 wil be released under DFW on DVD, BD and 4Kbluray in The Netherlands.

Earlier we already get news that MGM found new partner in there earlier partner Warner and that Warner possible wil release NTTD on the formats. If it not be one time release by Universal like Sony and CR and DAD and Fox because movie is made by them and MGM. Atleast re-release wil be done by Warner. Taken over from Fox when there left to Disney. In the cinema NTTD wil be released by Universals help like Spectre. Spectre was released by Fox on DVD and BD and wil soon re-released with help of Warner on DVD and BD. I always hoped/expect that Universal already was choosen to be new partner.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    as much as i love mission impossible, take away tom cruise, it will fizzle out . dude looked old in the last one sadly. nobody beat father time!

but only bourne truly died since 2004 the last great bourne movie.

I disagree. Men with wrinkles can still do great action. Cruise is ageing very slowly; he plays Ethan well, with electrifying charisma, and he does action like a boss (and he does the action himself.) Sixty is the new forty; we appreciate our action heroes not baby-faced these days. Even then, let's say the physical stuff does become a tad challenging, I'm sure they will find ways to keep Cruise on board, in some capacity.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 3,160
    MI7 now has me as pumped as NTTD. A camera on a moving bicycle?