Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Ludovico
    Sometimes, it's almost impossible to fathom why people behave the way they do. That lady should know better than to make trouble about a parking space in front of a kid. Even then, it seems like just another case of the culture of entitlement and "me".
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Ludovico
    Sometimes, it's almost impossible to fathom why people behave the way they do. That lady should know better than to make trouble about a parking space in front of a kid. Even then, it seems like just another case of the culture of entitlement and "me".

I haven't even told the whole story. Where we live there's no allocated parking. So it's first come first served. The parking spaces available go from very good to not great. A year ago or so she said the Council had granted her and her friends an exclusive parking space each because of seniority: she's been living there for years and so on. It was of course pure BS : every resident has the same right as her. She even painted (badly) house numbers on the three parking spaces. And it was so obviously phoney and amateurish, the numbers are like 4, 7, 17 or something. Now what she did is of course illegal and we notified the Council about it. They removed the painting.
    I don't know why she's hostile towards us. Maybe it's just because she feels entitled due to her age, maybe it's because my wife is married to a dirty foreigner (I don't want to accuse her of racism, but the thought did cross my mind due to a certain gut feeling). Anyway, I explained to my son that his mummy did nothing wrong and that people are not always nice and helpful.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »
    @Ludovico

I haven't even told the whole story. Where we live there's no allocated parking. So it's first come first served. The parking spaces available go from very good to not great. A year ago or so she said the Council had granted her and her friends an exclusive parking space each because of seniority: she's been living there for years and so on. It was of course pure BS : every resident has the same right as her. She even painted (badly) house numbers on the three parking spaces. And it was so obviously phoney and amateurish, the numbers are like 4, 7, 17 or something. Now what she did is of course illegal and we notified the Council about it. They removed the painting.
    I don't know why she's hostile towards us. Maybe it's just because she feels entitled due to her age, maybe it's because my wife is married to a dirty foreigner (I don't want to accuse her of racism, but the thought did cross my mind due to a certain gut feeling). Anyway, I explained to my son that his mummy did nothing wrong and that people are not always nice and helpful.

Usually when people cling on to such 'rights', it's because they're uncertain and/ or scared. That's probably why she shouts as well: better the offense than opening up. I'd recommend to always stay calm, friendly and offer a hand, without of course granting her any privileges. If that doesn't help, wll, at least it saves your own nerves. We're not very good with our neighbours either. Partly, it seems, due to jelousy. I tend to ignore these people completely, and call any officials when they cross a line. For now that works and we've had far less disturbances because of them.

my personal rant: we're caughing our lungs out, my wife and I, for more than a month now, and last week it really got bad. I can't talk in the evening hours without bursting into another attack. Called the doctor, who said we could make anappointment for a blood-test. The test should be taken asap, as other corona tests were negative, but they're not always getting everything. Doctor said we could make the appointment online for this weekend, having the results on monday.

Funny thing: for a corona bloodtest you can't make the appointment online, you can call them between monday and friday......... and for the none-corona test, the earliest moment is monday afternoon......

We need bloody antibiotics but you can't get anything done due to the Corona crisis!
    @CommanderRoss
    The strains of the pandemic are becoming apparent in all medical affairs. My wife-to-be and I had made an appointment with a gaenocologist and even her services, though far from corona-related, now seem all but suspended indefinitely. It's still unclear when she'll be able to receive us.

Selfish "me-people" are screwing things up for all of us!
    @CommanderRoss We take the high road and try as much as we can to remain calm and polite.
    A few incidents left me to believe tht I really shouldn't have taken those vacations I'm having right now. Some small, some not so, including the first. But let's strt with the beginning :

On friday, a dental abcess started to bother me, giving me a small fever, and hurting like hell. And I coldn't get an appointment at the dentist before december at the very earliest. So, I decided that, as soon as I was in brest, I would go and have it treated in emergency dental care at the local hospital. Which I did on monday afternoon. I don't think that having your mouth butchered, drained, and the like for an hour can count as a good way to start your vacations. Frankly, I doubt it. But now, my tooth hardly hurt at all. Let's hope that it will stay that way until my appointment with my regular dentist.

As usual, when I go on vacation, I brought my BR player with me. But I forgot my remote. All right, I thought, I'm going to buy a universal remote, and when I come back home, I'll have one in my suitcase at all times, just as a precaution. Well, the only ones I could find in Brest were for TVs only. I had to take the tram to the suburbs, and the local industrial/commercial zones to get one that could allow me to use my player. It's done, but still...

As usual, I have to rent a car to go and see my family. Turns out my usual renter is closed, with no motive or the like. Found another one, but I won't have a car until friday at the earliest. And with the new restrictions we'll have as of tonight, I don't know if I'll be able to rent it.

It's not the incidents themselves, it's the accumulation, you see. What next ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    A few incidents left me to believe tht I really shouldn't have taken those vacations I'm having right now. Some small, some not so, including the first. But let's strt with the beginning :

On friday, a dental abcess started to bother me, giving me a small fever, and hurting like hell. And I coldn't get an appointment at the dentist before december at the very earliest. So, I decided that, as soon as I was in brest, I would go and have it treated in emergency dental care at the local hospital. Which I did on monday afternoon. I don't think that having your mouth butchered, drained, and the like for an hour can count as a good way to start your vacations. Frankly, I doubt it. But now, my tooth hardly hurt at all. Let's hope that it will stay that way until my appointment with my regular dentist.

As usual, when I go on vacation, I brought my BR player with me. But I forgot my remote. All right, I thought, I'm going to buy a universal remote, and when I come back home, I'll have one in my suitcase at all times, just as a precaution. Well, the only ones I could find in Brest were for TVs only. I had to take the tram to the suburbs, and the local industrial/commercial zones to get one that could allow me to use my player. It's done, but still...

As usual, I have to rent a car to go and see my family. Turns out my usual renter is closed, with no motive or the like. Found another one, but I won't have a car until friday at the earliest. And with the new restrictions we'll have as of tonight, I don't know if I'll be able to rent it.

It's not the incidents themselves, it's the accumulation, you see. What next ?

I understand what you're talking about, @Gerard. Stuff can just add up to the point where it becomes infuriating.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @DarthDimi & @Ludovico yes, indeed. it's frustrating though. We've been tested for COVID now four times, including a blood-test to see if we might have HAD it. They're all negative. Most likely we've both got pneumonia. Which is bad enough if you don't kill the bacteria in time. Since two days, a month after it all started, we've got our antibiotics cure and for now it seems to work. I now love coughi..... oh wait, I'm not in a film.

@Gerard good luck with making the right decisions in this situation, I hope you'll find a way to get back home healthy with the cat in a good place!
    It angers me that law enforcement does so little with autograph forgers , they scam for millions a yr , nothing but human roaches
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I distinctly remember getting a number of autographs for one birthday, that my mother had got on that great new website eBay. The cast of LotR, some athletes I liked. Don't remember the rest. Some of them were very obviously just printed out pictures of the signatures. Very pixelated and so on. Maybe the day I lost faith in the internet.

But being maybe 12 years old, I loved them anyway and they are still on display in my childhood bedroom. But I understand how frustrating higher level forgery must be for even semi-serious collectors.
    So the woke idiots in the UK have now got their knickers in a twist over the fact that McDonalds are going to sell a jerk chicken burger. According to them it's "cultural appropriation". If that's the case then surely every jerk seasoning product available in any supermarket is also cultural appropriation because I doubt if any of them are actually made in the Caribbean.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    So the woke idiots in the UK have now got their knickers in a twist over the fact that McDonalds are going to sell a jerk chicken burger. According to them it's "cultural appropriation". If that's the case then surely every jerk seasoning product available in any supermarket is also cultural appropriation because I doubt if any of them are actually made in the Caribbean.

What for the love of everything reasonable could possibly be "cultural appropriation" about a jerk chicken burger?
    Let's face it the woke brigade are offended by just about everything that they personally don't agree with.
    Let's face it the woke brigade are offended by just about everything that they personally don't agree with.

Well, I don't agree with the woke brigade. I can meet them about halfway in certain regards, but they can be ridiculously extreme about a lot of things. I wouldn't be so angry with them if smart people wouldn't succumb to their wishes. Unfortunately, nowadays, people are so scared of woke attacks, they will just placate them no matter what.

But again, I'm confused. What issues do they have with a chicken burger?
    That I think is the problem. Too many people who should know better giving in to the minority .What started as something with noble intent has been hijacked. I think the problem is that because the jerk seasoning is not actually from the Caribbean it's been appropriated by Western corporation. I say I think that's the problem but I'm obviously not woke so don't really get what their problem is
    I've got a couple of woke students in my classes. Fortunately, they only represent a minority. But here's the thing. I teach chemistry, a fairly neutral subject, no? And yet, some manage to turn even those lessons into a PR campaign for the woke warrior.

Ah well... To respond in terms they can understand: what - evaaaaa!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I've got a couple of woke students in my classes. Fortunately, they only represent a minority. But here's the thing. I teach chemistry, a fairly neutral subject, no? And yet, some manage to turn even those lessons into a PR campaign for the woke warrior.

It is unfair that plutonium is heavier than helium. It should all be the same.

It is unfair that plutonium is heavier than helium. It should all be the same.

😄😄😄
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2020 Posts: 13,882

Everyday these cretins find new and idiotic ways to look like morons. Next up: ban christmas, because there isn't enough diversity in tree colours.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I see myself as centre-left progressive and often think more conservative people over do it with the whole "SJW" and "woke" and what have you.
    But then some morons have nothing better to do than complain about a McDonald's sandwich and I don't even know what to say anymore. Some people...
    The time to really start worrying is when these idiots start wanting certain films banned because they don't meet their notions of what's acceptable. That would be really scary
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,948
    I just don't get the whole 'cultural appropriation' idea. But I take it Asians are not allowed to wear jeans? Or suits? Nor is anyone on the continents of Africa and South America? And they can't eat burgers but have to eat what their great-great-grandparents were eating, right?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2020 Posts: 13,882
    The time to really start worrying is when these idiots start wanting certain films banned because they don't meet their notions of what's acceptable. That would be really scary

I think they have already reached that point. Didn't they go after John Wayne for a 1970 interview he did? Yeah, that's right, go after a guy who has been dead for over 40 years, who can't tell them where to shove their delicate sensabilities.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I see myself as centre-left progressive and often think more conservative people over do it with the whole "SJW" and "woke" and what have you.
    But then some morons have nothing better to do than complain about a McDonald's sandwich and I don't even know what to say anymore. Some people...

There are dickheads in any group of people.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Speaking of McDonalds, I'm still mad they got rid of their orange drink. That's the only thing I'd get from there with my meal since childhood.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »

Speaking of McDonalds, I'm still mad they got rid of their orange drink. That's the only thing I'd get from there with my meal since childhood.

Was it because it gave some people associations to Bad Orange Man?
    If it was up to me I'd ban McDonalds outright! >:)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Was it because it gave some people associations to Bad Orange Man?

If I recall correctly, they got rid of it before Orange man became a thing.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Ooh that looks good, I'll have two. Is that American cheese? Can I get French fries with that?

That CHICKEN font looks too similar to NO TIME TO DIE to be happenstance. Looking forward to the product placement and advertising tie-ins on this one.

a98d9deb21842b20cc0de9f3ead230cb.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,518
    From my perspective, the people who whine about "woke" people, or "SJW"s are more annoying than the subjects of the whining. Those two words make me cringe more than anything else. But maybe I'm lucky that I haven't experienced too much of this, despite living in liberal Vancouver, BC.