Happy 25th to Goldeneye! New... Drone footage of the cables snapping on the Goldeneye satellite dish

007InAction007InAction Australia
edited December 2020 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
Happy 25th to Goldeneye! On this day 1995 GoldenEye premiered at the Radio City Music Hall, New York City and went on general release in the United States on November 17th 1995

What are your memories of watching it for the first time ? What do you think of it now ?
EmuShmQXcAAOg8E?format=jpg&name=large
EmuSiPxXIAE40Nt?format=jpg&name=medium
EmuL6EuXMAIqwQ0?format=jpg&name=medium

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I was there first day after a 6 year wait, now I think GE is a good film though at the time I felt it borrowed from a few contemary films *cough cough* Die Hard 2
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,341
    I didn't see it at the cinema as i lost a bit of interest in bond films then.
    I saw it for the first time on dvd years later and i liked it then but not as much now.
    It has it's good and bad moments and not in my top 10.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I saw it for the first time on dvd years later.

I like the film easily PB best Bond film by some distance, considering the score is average is saying a lot.

I like the film easily PB best Bond film by some distance, considering the score is average is saying a lot.

Yeah easily his best. I now wish i saw it at the cinema.
    It was the next gen bond film without cubby for the first time also.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,102

Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan really elevates the film for me, such a great character. PB really delivers in that there are moments Bond appears vulnerable. After this PB Bond became cartoonish.

Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan really elevates the film for me, such a great character. PB really delivers in that there are moments Bond appears vulnerable. After this PB Bond became cartoonish.

Sean is great in it. Good director and script for GE too.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My dad rented it at Blockbuster for us and I was an instant fan. We never returned it. Next thing we knew, Blockbuster was out of business. Coincidence?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Had this pleasure at the VanCity Film Festival Theatre when they showed all the Bond films over the course of a week or so. It was sublime.

Had this pleasure at the VanCity Film Festival Theatre when they showed all the Bond films over the course of a week or so. It was sublime.

Who knows when cinemas will open again ?
    EmuSa9mW8AEdrLy?format=jpg&name=large
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I played the game before I saw the movie but one day in early 1998 my dad rented it from the video store and we watched it together. It was one of the best memories of my life. It was great seeing the iconic moments in the game come to life in the movie. The opening gunbarrel music was such a treat. I'll never forget the excitement I felt hearing it for the first time. It was something truly special me and my dad that we bonded over for years. Shortly after the video store we first rented it at was going out of business so my dad bought the very tape we rented and I still have that copy to this day. It's something I hold very dear to me.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I played the game before I saw the movie but one day in early 1998 my dad rented it from the video store and we watched it together. It was one of the best memories of my life. It was great seeing the iconic moments in the game come to life in the movie. The opening gunbarrel music was such a treat. I'll never forget the excitement I felt hearing it for the first time. It was something truly special me and my dad that we bonded over for years. Shortly after the video store we first rented it at was going out of business so my dad bought the very tape we rented and I still have that copy to this day. It's something I hold very dear to me.

I just connected a vhs to my tv as i have some tapes with some good rare stuff taped from tv years ago.

I used to record the bond films from tv before dvd became available.

Tswlm premiered in 1983 on tv and it was so exciting that night and had it recorded.

Also i remember when brozza was named the next bond in 1994 through the national news or newspaper.

A lot of people wanted him as bond from his remington steele days.

I liked the laser watch at first viewing but now find it comical
    jbwatch.jpg
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    edited November 2020 Posts: 265
    My earliest memory of seeing GoldenEye for the first time was that following year, sometime in ‘96.

I was 8 years old and I remember my best friend’s dad renting the VHS from Blockbuster (remember those?) for us kids to watch.

I don’t recall a whole lot of the film as a whole, but I do remember being mesmerized, the feeling that was unlike any other: the gunbarrel and Eric Serra’s synth score; the killer pre-titles sequence with the bungee jump; Brosnan’s Bond escape from the facility by diving over the cliff with the Honda Triumph bike trying to catch the plane...and somehow surviving; the title sequence, too, with the semi-naked shadows... It was all so explosive.

As a kid, I was absolutely blown away because all of it was so different from the movies I’d enjoyed up to that point. GoldenEye really did usher in a cool and refreshing way of how I experienced entertainment at that age for me - it wasn’t an action movie with Arnold, or Stallone, or even Willis. No, Bond was in a league of his own.

It’s funny ruminating on this significant part of my upbringing on the eve of my 32nd birthday, because looking back almost 24 years ago, it was Pierce Brosnan in GoldenEye which cemented me into becoming a James Bond fan for life.
    Twenty five years ... wow.

Saw it in the cinema with some friends. The gun barrel was fantastic, the way PB strutted across the screen then fired, I still think his is the best gun barrel ever.

At the time I thought it was great, probably the best since TSWLM nearly twenty years previously. But I wonder now how much of that opinion was due to the fact I desperately wanted and needed it to be good. It had been so long since LTK... If GE had bombed then that might have ended everything.

Over time I think its faults have become more apparent while its good qualities have receded. IMO of course. Cannot remember how long it’s been since the last time I watched it. Personally I now even prefer Moonraker to GE. Funny how tastes and feelings change as you get older.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,416
    First Bond movie in the cinema. It was 12 or 13 December 1995, at age of 15 and see it with my mom, two of her friends and my brother (11). I like it so much that in 1996 i bought the 2 VHS set and all other movies on VHS (Video).

IMG-20190815-145238.jpg

Classic Bond Collection. With classic confusing about Moonraker/FYEO order after you watched TSWLM you think year credit on side don't match with. Do i have mis print and are this realy all movies. In total have seen it more then 14 times. Before that i know not more then that LTK be my first Bond i have seen on Video 2000 from my grandfather.
    Hated it.
    The only thing that made an impression was Daniel Kleinmans title sequence! The rest was very Ugh!!!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Loved it when I saw it on opening day. But I think that's because I wanted to love it. I was starved on Bond.

As early as the next day when I went to watch it again I remember being bored by all the Natalya and Boris introductions and stealing the Goldeneye business, which seems to go on forever.

But I pretended I loved it for quite a while. It was only later that my stance towards it hardened. And now, after having two recent (in the last 18 months) rewatches, I put it firmly in my bottom 5.

It has some excellent bits for sure, but the embarrassing interplay and dialogue is too much, and it is far more boring than it should be. The bad bits (Bean's performance, flying into the cockpit, 'knockers', etc) are as bad as anything in the series.

I like Xenia, Zukovsky, and the library shootout and tank chase.

But for me it is Brosnan's worst.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    PB is my childhood's Bond and GE is my childhood's Bond movie.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I missed out seeing it at the cinema. I remember riding by bike home with the VHS from the video store sometime in '96. This was back when my collection consisted of but a few video tapes and TV guide clippings. I was just starting to list the films then, and put them in order. I was probably only aware of about a half dozen or so Bond films at this point.

Thought it was a great addition to the canon. When I eventually bought the VHS, it was the sole videotape to have a white plastic case, while my '96 VHS collection used clear plastic.

For me, GE has always wrestled with TND as best Brozza entry.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    GOLDENEYE-25-c-2048x1146.jpg

25 years ago the Britpop bullet that is GoldenEye premiered at the Radio City Music Hall in New York. A new generation’s Goldfinger and as cinematically crucial for the House of Bond as The Spy who Loved Me, director Martin Campbell repointed a new Bond for a new Internet era. It was a tricky manoeuvre to suggest the Bond character and series has a new future as his outmoded Cold War past decays all around him. But in straddling how these films used to be made and how their future internal emotions would later take the 007 project forward, Pierce Brosnan finally caught the Bond bouquet with a wink, a suited spin and a slight shared relief our favorite sexist, misogynistic dinosaur is back roaming the earth.

Here’s to the silver anniversary of a golden classic!

Art by CATCHING BULLETS
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Saw it at the odeon Leicester Sq in London. Same place I saw LTK all those years before.

I loved it on my first viewing and saw it again a week later at my local cinema.

My enthusiasm for it has waned over the years and I think the film feels dated somehow. A mid-tier Bond film for me.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I saw it first time with my cousin on tv, loved it first time but it hasn't aged quite well. It still sits in my top 10.
    Saw it at the odeon Leicester Sq in London. Same place I saw LTK all those years before.

I loved it on my first viewing and saw it again a week later at my local cinema.

My enthusiasm for it has waned over the years and I think the film feels dated somehow. A mid-tier Bond film for me.

You're too generous mate! 😁
    As I see many of the memories are from fans who saw it on VHS or was their first Bond film, I'd like to share my perspective as a longtime fan.

For those of us who lived through the gap between LTK and GE, the wait for NTTD and other films with long gaps isn't new, just inconvenient. In those days before the Internet was widely used, there just wasn't much instant information and we took what we could from entertainment press and, at least in the U.S., entertainment programs like Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood and the E cable network. That was a wait. There were stories Eon would sell and would there even be a new Bond film and who would be Bond. Mel Gibson's name kept coming up, but I always suspected it would be Brosnan.

As a Dalton fan, I dreaded his replacement, and I freely share it meant holding Brosnan to a higher standard. As mentioned, when GE was launched, it was great to have those shows covering its production and developments. As a collector, there were numerous magazines, new merchandise and working in the newspaper business, I scoured out-of-town publications for stories and photos. It was a great time to be a Bond fan.

My tradition is to see a new bond film in the cinema the second day of release, a Saturday evening. That Friday I bought the magazine Entertainment Weekly with Brosnan on the cover. That was a big weekend as one of my other pop culture obsessions, the Beatles, were to be in the spotlight with The Beatles Anthology debuting on ABC that Sunday. So it was a Bond and Beatles weekend.

For my first viewing of GE, it was my wife, one of my best friends and his wife and one of my other best friends, although his fiancé wasn't able to make it. We went to the Cinema 10 in my hometown where it was playing in the biggest hall. One memory I had is one of the other people in the audience, a guy named Jason Collier. Unless you followed basketball at that time and after, the name probably isn't familiar, but he was a high school star in his senior year and would later play in the NBA where he tragically died when his heart gave out at a practice.

I was excited, but also wary with raised expectations. They had to deliver. I was disappointed in the gunbarrel, loved the precredits up until the flying into the plane, which made me roll my eyes. A fellow fan warned me about the music.

I won't say the film was disappointing, but it didn't overwhelm me the way I'd hoped it would. That may have been because of the long gap and expectations. But it was great to have Bond back.

My friends and I went back to our house where we did a top 3 or top 5 Bond poll with best films, villains, etc. I think I still have those results someplace. The next day I went out and bought out-of-town newspapers with Bond articles and enjoyed The Beatles Anthology, followed by getting more Bond collectibles that week, which coincided with the Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S. That Xmas, I also got more Bond collectibles. Bond was back.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I saw it on TV and absolutely loved it. Brosnan's stylish performance, The pre-title sequence, Turner's song, Kleinman's visuals and Serra's score stayed with me for days. I even started introducing myself as James Bond to the other kids and being kids like myself, they absolutely bought it and I was very happy :D
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »

You're too generous mate! 😁

😄 Fair comment!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I went to a charity screening of GoldenEye in 1995 at Bournemouth Odeon Cinema.
    In attendance was former M, Robert Brown.
    It was the first shirt and tie event I'd ever attended, so it felt pretty special. Whilst I was excited for the first Bond film in 6 years, the film didn't quite live up to my expectations at first. Sure the pts was one of the series best. The action was amazing, and the film moved at a great pace. But after being conditioned by the John Glen films of the 80's, this film looked completely different, sounded different. It was clear the 'Bond crew' I had known was gone. This was a new chapter in the series. And at first, I didn't really like it. Who were these people messing with all I had known.
    That didn't stop me from seeing the film for a further five times at the cinema in 1995!
    And buying the VHS the day it came out. Today, GE has continued to rise up my rankings, whilst not quite a top tier film for me, it does currently reside just out of my top ten. It's easily Pierce Brosnan's best Bond film, though he does give a solid performance in DAD. Even if the film was a let down.
    GE is also helped by a great supporting cast, and a great villains gallery. Stunning set pieces, but for mostly making Bond relevant too a new generation. This was the film that made sure James Bond had a place in cinema in the 90's and onward.
    Murdock wrote: »
    That's a cool story. I too saw it for the first time on VHS. That damn dam scene... impressive way to begin a film. And wisely preceded with no dialogue at all.

Thinking about GE and VHS now makes me remember those outer shelves in Blockbuster stores, that were filled with many copies of the same recently-released film. I remember seeing endless copies of TND.

M_Balje wrote: »
    IMG-20190815-145238.jpg

Classic Bond Collection. With classic confusing about Moonraker/FYEO order after you watched TSWLM you think year credit on side don't match with. Do i have mis print and are this realy all movies. In total have seen it more then 14 times. Before that i know not more then that LTK be my first Bond i have seen on Video 2000 from my grandfather.
    Nice collection! Not being aware of the correct order of the Bond films at the time, I too remember being confused by that "James Bond will return" text at the end of TSWLM.

QBranch wrote: »
    For me, GE has always wrestled with TND as best Brozza entry.
    After so many years of watching them and discovering their individual virtues, GE, TND and TWINE are now fairly even in my estimation. Only DAD is noticeably inferior.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    My memories of watching GoldenEye was on a flight back from the Caribbean in March 96 when I was 11 years old. Up until then, I had only watched the Living Daylights, but GoldenEye got me hooked on the Bond series. To this day, it still stands as Brosnan’s best outing as 007 and dragged the franchise into the 90’s.
  • I watched it at The Odeon in Nottingham when it was first released. I was very impressed with the whole thing. Its only failing to me was Serra's score. When Bond is racing Xenia Onatopp I remember thinking how jarring the music seemed. To this day, that music still seems so odd. Famke bothered my loins like no other Bond girl though, so all is forgiven.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sadly late to the party after a busy weekend but this is the film that kicked off my obsession with the series and film fandom as a whole. My mom bought me a VHS copy when I was very young, six or seven max, and I probably watched, rewound and rewatched it hundreds and hundreds of times before I got TND and TWINE on VHS. From there, it was an endless search to purchase as many of the films as I could at certain stores or rent them whenever I saw them in stock. The film is perfection to me.