Favourite Bond Moments - Round 26: NTTD- Part 2: Ranking

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Another moment I really like is Camille and Greene's conversation in the docks regarding the geologist, while Bond is outside trying to gather information. I enjoy the tension and duplicitousness between the two characters.

I do think Bond's business card is one of the cleverest yet simplest gadgets in the whole series: a listening/tracking device which your enemy actually wants to take from you. Neat and tidy idea.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It was just a regular business card. Elvis called the number on the card which was Bond's phone and he tracked Elvis' phone with his phone.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm wondering which scene will be part of the most top five lists:
    Favourite Bond moments: Round 5: QOS - Part 2: Ranking
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 Swing from the balcony
    2 PTS
    3 MTS
    4 Tosca
    5 Sienna foot chase and culmination at the scaffold
    QOS has way too many scenes to love.
    PTS
    Titles sequence
    Scaffold fight
    M and Bond at Mitchells flat
    Greenes first intro
    Any scene with Greg Beam
    Opera sequence
    Fields!!
    Any scene with Mathis
    Plane dogfight
    M berating Bond while removing make up
    Bond lecturing Camille on how to shoot someone
    Finale
    Final scene with Vespers lover
    End scene with M!

The whole film is just one great scene after another.
    @Mathis1 Do you have a moment you love the most? Or even a top five?

I have to admit that I enjoy it more and more with every additional watch.

If I was just to pick one?
    The scene on the plane with Mathis! Adore thst scene. And Craig conveys so much with only brief lines.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. Opening car chase
    2. Il Palio
    3. At Mathis's house
    4. Opera scene
    5. Plane talk
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Love QoS.
    - PTS
    - Tension of the Mr White interrogation scene
    - M angry in Mitchell's flat
    - Slate fight
    - Tosca (until the Quantum members leave)
    - Bond and Mathis on the plane
    - Bonds escape from lift and onto balcony ledge.
    - Yousef scene at the end
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mathis1 wrote: »

If I was just to pick one?
    The scene on the plane with Mathis! Adore thst scene. And Craig conveys so much with only brief lines.

I do like that one as it's the only time we've ever seen Bond smashed. And yet although we always think of 007 being control he manages to stay being Bond.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Love QoS.
    - PTS
    - Slate fight

Interesting you say in your 5th choice, Tosca, up until the Quantum members leave.
    One of my real favourite moments is when Bond comes face to face with Greene at the bottom of stairs. Gives me goosebumps that moment.
    QUANTUM OF SOLACE has the best end credits of the entire series.

Yes, love the music over them too!

Yes, the whole package is terrific.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Love QoS.
    - PTS
    - Slate fight

Interesting you say in your 5th choice, Tosca, up until the Quantum members leave.
    One of my real favourite moments is when Bond comes face to face with Greene at the bottom of stairs. Gives me goosebumps that moment.

I don't necessarily dislike the chase scene that follows Tosca I just feel it lacks a certain something. It might be because it contains a couple of niggles for me such as Greene's delivery of "then he shouldn't be looking at me", the silence of the chase and Bond getting the blame for killing Haines' bodyguard when he didn't.
    (In fact that aspect of the whole film niggles me TBH. The way Bond allows M to roast him for killing people when he could justify or deny most of them)
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 6,654
    Love QoS.
    - PTS
    - Slate fight

I don't necessarily dislike the chase scene that follows Tosca I just feel it lacks a certain something. It might be because it contains a couple of niggles for me such as Greene's delivery of "then he shouldn't be looking at me", the silence of the chase and Bond getting the blame for killing Haines' bodyguard when he didn't.
    (In fact that aspect of the whole film niggles me TBH. The way Bond allows M to roast him for killing people when he could justify or deny most of them)

Have to say I love the silence in that chase/shootout. Think its really cool moment!
    Its a much more exciting shootout than the really dull one in SF when Silva and his gang storm the Hearing dressed as cops.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I think I agree on this one. The Dalton films are quite good too on that account.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Must say this thread has proper got me in the mood for Quantum, gonna watch it tonight.
    Keep an eye out for dog on a hot tin roof.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for dog on a hot tin roof.

The dog is cool!
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,375
    1. Bond and Camille walk through the desert (and empty water tank)
    2. First minute of the PTS/Opening shots
    3. Burning Perla de las Dunas (I can almost feel the heat and danger)
    4. Bond and Mathis on the plane
    5. Bond and Mitchell: scaffold fight (a slightly less rushed editing and this would be one of the best action scenes of the series)
    So many great moments in this film.

1. Bond and M discuss Yusef and Vesper, while Mitchell 'checks the perimeter'
    2. Greene and Medrano talk bidniss on the docks
    3. Quantum of Tosca
    4. Greene's interactions with guests at the Eco Park fundraiser - "You're both...damaged goods"
    5. Fields warns Bond to RUN! but he does not run

Honourable mention: any scene with Mathis
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    1. Opening shot
    2. Fire & explosion in Perla de las Dunas
    3. Car falling down a cliff (PTS)
    4. Cars driving through construction site (PTS)
    5. Plane fight (Bolivia)
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 6,844
    1. Night at the opera

This was the one scene that really, really gripped me in the theater. The one that instantly set QoS apart from all other Bonds. The Puccini playing over the action, the shots of gas grills flaring up and guns firing intercut with the giant dilating eye and the actors playing out their own scenes of violence on the stage. I never thought I would see arthouse Bond, but here it is. That moment where Bond and Greene come face to face for the first time, staring each other down from the across the foyer floor as the music descends thunderously, is arguably the series' greatest first encounter between Bond and villain.

2. Bond visits Mathis and in-flight Vespers

Mathis is one of the all-time great Bond allies and he was in my opinion put to much better use here than in CR. It speaks to the man's character that he would come out of a very nice retirement in that picturesque Italian setting to accompany Bond on what would be his very final mission. The transition from the villa to the plane is handled beautifully, and the scene of Bond downing Vespers, six of them, while David Arnold's haunting "Vesper" melody plays says in sixty seconds everything we need to know about Bond's true emotional state in this film.

3. "I never left."

Another testament to how much Forster could convey in the briefest of scenes, the exchange between Bond and M in the snow, with that last lingering shot of the dropped necklace, reveals not only the peace Bond has made over losing Vesper and her betrayal, but also how he has indeed grown from CR's ego-driven blunt instrument to one who can "judge the situation dispassionately" and act in the best interests of the mission. Without this conclusion the whole idea of bookending CR with a direct sequel would have been little more than a marketing gimmick. Instead, Forster finishes Bond's arc and the story of Bond Begins is complete. This could easily have gone some other far less satisfying way.

4. Bond and Camille part

QoS followed CR's model by continuing to play with the formula in a variety of ways, but the most unexpected and perhaps most satisfying variation was seeing Bond and Camille end not as lovers. Instead the focus of their final scene together is on their lost loved ones and the film's question of whether justice/revenge can bring peace and how much, forgoing tradition for character and theme. The couple waiting for the train mirrors Bond's and Camille's cathartic stasis while the nearby cemetery reminds of the permanence of what was taken from them.

5. Interplay between Bond, Mathis, and Fields

In a film as serious as QoS, a bit of humor goes a long way toward shaking things up, and the character of Fields, particularly as played off of Mathis, was just the injection of levity the film needed in its midsection. Bond's quips about the handcuffs, being teachers on sabbatical, and "Gone such a short time and already forgotten" are among the sharpest and most well played in Craig's time as Bond.

Other highlights: that ferocious opening car chase, the dizzying grapple in the bell tower, Bond's brutal fight with Slate, escaping from M's men in the hotel to that groovy Arnold track, and Bond speaking with Camille in the cave and their subsequent walk through town.
  • 1. Night at the opera

This was the one scene that really, really gripped me in the theater. The one that instantly set QoS apart from all other Bonds. The Puccini playing over the action, the shots of gas grills flaring up and guns firing intercut with the giant dilating eye and the actors playing out their own scenes of violence on the stage. I never thought I would see arthouse Bond, but here it is. That moment where Bond and Greene come face to face for the first time, staring each other down from the across the foyer floor as the music descends thunderously, is arguably the series' greatest first encounter between Bond and villain.

2. Bond visits Mathis and in-flight Vespers

Mathis is one of the all-time great Bond allies and he was in my opinion put to much better use here than in CR. It speaks to the man's character that he would come out of a very nice retirement in that picturesque Italian setting to accompany Bond on what would be his very final mission. The transition from the villa to the plane is handled beautifully, and the scene of Bond downing Vespers, six of them, while David Arnold's haunting "Vesper" melody plays says in sixty seconds everything we need to know about Bond's true emotional state in this film.

3. "I never left."

Another testament to how much Forster could convey in the briefest of scenes, the exchange between Bond and M in the snow, with that last lingering shot of the dropped necklace, reveals not only the peace Bond has made over losing Vesper and her betrayal, but also how he has indeed grown from CR's ego-driven blunt instrument to one who can "judge the situation dispassionately" and act in the best interests of the mission. Without this conclusion the whole idea of bookending CR with a direct sequel would have been little more than a marketing gimmick. Instead, Forster finishes Bond's arc and the story of Bond Begins is complete. This could easily have gone some other far less satisfying way.

4. Bond and Camille part

QoS followed CR's model by continuing to play with the formula in a variety of ways, but the most unexpected and perhaps most satisfying variation was seeing Bond and Camille end not as lovers. Instead the focus of their final scene together is on their lost loved ones and the film's question of whether justice/revenge can bring peace and how much, forgoing tradition for character and theme. The couple waiting for the train mirrors Bond's and Camille's cathartic stasis while the nearby cemetery reminds of the permanence of what was taken from them.

5. Interplay between Bond, Mathis, and Fields

In a film as serious as QoS, a bit of humor goes a long way toward shaking things up, and the character of Fields, particularly as played off of Mathis, was just the injection of levity the film needed in its midsection. Bond's quips about the handcuffs, being teachers on sabbatical, and "Gone such a short time and already forgotten" are among the sharpest and most well played in Craig's time as Bond.

Other highlights: that ferocious opening car chase, the dizzying grapple in the bell tower, Bond's brutal fight with Slate, escaping from M's men in the hotel to that groovy Arnold track, and Bond speaking with Camille in the cave and their subsequent walk through town.

This about sums it up for me. Only I'd add the Bond-Felix bar scene as a highlight.
    Night at the opera is one of the most special scenes of the series. If the editing was only a little bit less confusing I would also rank it in my top 5. The idea of the intercuts is great.
    Here is the top3 based on your rankings:
    1. Night at the opera
    2. On plane with Mathis and "Vespers"
    3. PTS car chase

Time to start the next round. The movie which is often ranked at the bottom or close to it, mainly due to the much weaker second half: Which moments are the highlights of Brosnan's last Bond movie? Are there any scenes you love from the second half?

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 6: DAD - Part 1: Suggestions and discussion

I start with an obvious one: I love the sword fight between Bond and Graves. Great action, some funny bits and a perfect way to end the first meeting between Bond and the villain (if we don't count the PTS). We need more such duels based on games/sport.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,411
    Teaser trailer
    Gunbarrel
    Surfing
    Van Bierk. Bond at a bomb in suitecase of diamonds and then helicopter land for Bond changed him self with Von Bierk.
    Moon use somebody as as boxball.
    Zoa discover who Bond realy is.
    Maintitle
    Bond escaped from M and half naked enter hotel
    Meeting M and New quatermaster & invisible car.
    M and Miranda
    Iceland Intro
    Bond, Swann of ice and Miranda Frost
    Sword Fight
    Ice palace car chase
    Again, this has one of the very best main title sequences.