And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    DN
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Nice to see TB getting some love in terms of Connery's performance. I happen to think his performance lifts the film from being dreary and lackluster.

Surprised to see hardly no votes for GF as some call it the template which all others copied to some degree. The PTS for that film shows Connery at his best. His pleading with Goldfinger while strapped to the table is well acted as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    Nice to see TB getting some love in terms of Connery's performance. I happen to think his performance lifts the film from being dreary and lackluster.

Surprised to see hardly no votes for GF as some call it the template which all others copied to some degree. The PTS for that film shows Connery at his best. His pleading with Goldfinger while strapped to the table is well acted as well.

He is indeed great in GF, but maybe as you say, because the film around him in TB is weaker it allows him to shine a bit more? I don't know.
    I think he is just a little more impressive in TB somehow- he's completely filling the screen.

I think these guys get better as they go along. Like with Harrison Ford: I think he's good as Han in Star Wars, but when you see him again in Empire Strikes Back he's become a proper movie star. Likewise I think he's better in Temple of Doom than he is in Raiders: he's just refined his art that little bit more.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    The fact so many votes are split between TB and FRWL (DN gets its share of honors as well) is hardly surprising. Connery was obviously very happy to work with Terence Young, the man who more than anyone else shaped him into becoming 007 and it clearly showed onscreen.
    The fact these movies were more character/plot driven also contributed to Connery being more invested in his character.
    Of those 3 films, Connery's performance in FRWL is the one I actually like the least (which isn't to say I don't love it as it's absolutely wonderful and it's clearly the superior movie).
    It might also have to do with the fact that the supporting cast in FRWL is so uniformly excellent (especially Shaw who owns the movie) that it makes Connery's performance seem more like part of a team effort, rather than a star performance.
    But yes, in TB he gives the ultimate Bond performance as far as I'm concerned.
    He just appears to be operating on another level throughout the movie, perfectly combining the dry humour and ruthelessness of the first two films with the playfulness and wit of GF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess also in FRWL he's saddled with not really having all that much interesting to do until the film steps up a gear and they leave Istanbul. Until then he's more or less waiting around. In Thunderball he's more in control and driving events.
    Have to say I am also surprised by the lack of GF enthusiasm and the support for FRWL.

My choice is between GF and TB, both Connery and Bond at his best, but my love of TB gives it the edge. He blends the tougher edge of DN and FRWL with the lighter touch of GF into one great package. He really runs the gamut of emotions in that film, my favorites being the confrontation with Fiona in the hotel room and the scene where he reveals her brother's murder to Domino on the beach. It goes beyond the tough, suave and charming Bond to touches that bring to mind Fleming's Bond.

I also don't think Connery sleepwalks in YOLT. It's more that the script gives him little in the way of strong dialogue or interactions and focuses more on getting him from one vehicle to another and one action scene to the next. Also like the humorous side he plays up in DAF, which doesn't distract from of the action scenes where he plays his tough side.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I also don't agree with accusations of sleepwalking in YOLT: he's doing everything right, but he's just perhaps not adding that little bit extra like he does in the films which surround it. He's obviously pretty engaged in DAF and he's decided to use it to do something slightly different with his performance.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DN and FRWL are my picks.
    Though GF and TB are also high on the list.
  • With YOLT, I think his performance is absolutely fine, but there is a big drop-off in the material he gets following the DN-TB run. He gets no delicious scenes and dialogue with Blofeld like he does with Dr. No, Grant, Goldfinger, and Largo.
    I think despite it's overall weakness as a Bond film (not for all) that DAF has some of Connery's best dialogue. He also gets some wonderful scenes in it. I could never hate it, but as a Bond film it sits on the lower end of my rankings.
    I do love the script though. Connery is clearly enjoying himself. But unlike the Bond films of DN - TB, DAF is a Sean Connery film starring James Bond. Before that he was James Bond starring Sean Connery. At least for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    With YOLT, I think his performance is absolutely fine, but there is a big drop-off in the material he gets following the DN-TB run. He gets no delicious scenes and dialogue with Blofeld like he does with Dr. No, Grant, Goldfinger, and Largo.

Yes, and I think he pretty much stated that in his interviews about Bond, didn't he? It turned into him just pushing buttons. DAF at least gave him some comic scenes and some stuff to do. Including possibly the only time he actually attempted an accent onscreen after he became a star! Twice! :)
  • Benny wrote: »
    I think despite it's overall weakness as a Bond film (not for all) that DAF has some of Connery's best dialogue. He also gets some wonderful scenes in it. I could never hate it, but as a Bond film it sits on the lower end of my rankings.
    I do love the script though. Connery is clearly enjoying himself. But unlike the Bond films of DN - TB, DAF is a Sean Connery film starring James Bond. Before that he was James Bond starring Sean Connery. At least for me.

I re-watch DAF every few years just for Connery and the wonderful dialogue. The only part of DAF I dislike is the climax on the rig, but even that has some cheeky moments.
    mtm wrote: »
    With YOLT, I think his performance is absolutely fine, but there is a big drop-off in the material he gets following the DN-TB run. He gets no delicious scenes and dialogue with Blofeld like he does with Dr. No, Grant, Goldfinger, and Largo.

Yes, and I think he pretty much stated that in his interviews about Bond, didn't he? It turned into him just pushing buttons. DAF at least gave him some comic scenes and some stuff to do. Including possibly the only time he actually attempted an accent onscreen after he became a star! Twice! :)

True! "Who is your floor?"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »

I re-watch DAF every few years just for Connery and the wonderful dialogue. The only part of DAF I dislike is the climax on the rig, but even that has some cheeky moments.
    mtm wrote: »

True! "Who is your floor?"

Yes! :) And don't forget when he's being Klaus Hergersheimer in the lab!
    Very interesting discussion and votes by the academy! It seems to be a 2 film race. All films have received a vote except for YOLT.

I shall keep voting open for the weekend crowd to chime in! I don't want @Max_The_Parrot to get ruffled feathers if I close the voting too soon. LOL
    STOP THE COUNT!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Bit late, but GF is his best performance.

Just the coolest man alive at that time.

Drama, comic timing and physicality. Just perfection 👍
    I think FRWL is his best. Stunning performance and the favourite Bond film of the man himself.
    jobo wrote: »
    STOP THE COUNT!

Are you for Team Trump! LOL!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,896
    The Count can be censored but he cannot be stopped:

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Undoubtedly, it's Thunderball, IMO. Sean is at the peak of his powers and his effortless cool and sophistication in this film were never matched prior or thereafter.
    My dear academy it's time we award the Bondie to the best James Bond performance by THE MAN Sir Sean Connery! The Bondie is awarded for Sir Sean for his performance in the Biggest Bond of them All! Thunderball which ganered 9 votes! The voting shows the following:
    • FRWL receiving 7 votes
    • DN receiving 4 votes
    • GF receiving 2 votes
    • DAF receiving 1 vote
    • YOLT receiving 0 votes

Nice tribute to the man who defined the role for many! Lets shift to the Klebbie side of things. Lets dive into the worst gadgets/vehicles. Bond has had some epic gadgets and then others land rather flat! Here are the flat ones!
    • A pigeon or duck helmet from GF. What were they thinking and why would you need such a thing.
    • Crocodile sub from OP. How would one even fit into this contraption?
    • Iceberg sub from AVTAK. Lets disguise the sub as an iceberg but make the hatch have the Union Jack emblazoned on it! Doesn't it defeat the purpose?
    • Radioactive pill from TB. How much radiation would be required for the CIA to find Bond from in the air? Probably enough to give him radiation poisoning.
    • Mini Camera from MR. The tech is cool, but why would M16 put 007 on the camera? Makes no sense, although it gets a cheap laugh from the audience.

What say you? What is the worst gadget or vehicle that our man Bond has used in the films.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Out of the list above, the Iceberg sub is pretty poor. It doesnt even look remotely like an ice berg, and the noise it makes as well as the speed it moves at would make it stick out like a sore thumb.

Outside the list, the x-ray specs in TWINE are pretty pointless. They dont help Bond in any way or service the plot, theyre only there for some cheap titilation and see through underwear, for all of about five seconds.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,020
    Crocodile sub. Maybe they used old Albert's carcass for that one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,979
    Ah I'm glad we're doing this again, I like this thread a lot :)

If I'm honest none of those listed actually offend me terribly! Even the naff ones like the seagull hat or the crocodile are kind of supposed to be very silly aren't they? That's the fun! :) Not quite sure what you mean about 'how would someone fit in the crocodile'- Roger is in there.
    I like the Iceberg too; it's kind of cool even if it's a completely different colour to all the real icebergs! Apparently it was actually quite dangerous to do too as there was a guy in there driving the thing. I think the interior set is quite cool too! Although I'd hate to think what it'd be like after five days in there. The smell...

I suppose I'll pick the Moonraker camera, but even then I think it's quite funny! And it's kind of child's logic, of course James Bond has a camera with '007' on it! It's like how the Aston Martins always used to have 'JB 007' numberplates when you'd see them in promo photos. I don't think that's a bad thing at all :)

I think the vehicle I'd plump for not on the list would be the DAF Moon Buggy. It looks really cheap and rubbish, it doesn't do anything interesting, there's no reason for it to be there (why is there a moon film set?), and there isn't even a decent gag for it. I don't like that one.
    As for bad gadget... maybe the mousetrap Bond has in his pocket at the beginning of DAF? It seems a bit unsporting somehow. Or how about TWINE's exploding gun gadget? A gun is already something you'd try and keep hidden, turning it into a 'but REALLY it's a bomb' gadget seems a bit too much. And also a bit dull.
    Likewise Bond having two watches in DAD and TND that have little bombs hidden in them. Just a bit boring- I like a gadget to be something very original or to at least suit the design of the object it's hidden in. Like the pen bomb in GoldenEye: you click the top three times. Lovely.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Outside the list, the x-ray specs in TWINE are pretty pointless. They dont help Bond in any way or service the plot, theyre only there for some cheap titilation and see through underwear, for all of about five seconds.

Yeah it already feels a bit dated and sexist, that bit.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @mtm the xray specs couldve bene used more, like if Bond was wearing them when he was with Zukovsky and Dr Jones in Istanbul, tracking where M is, and he saw the bomb inside Mr Bullion’s briefcase.
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    The crocodile sub is pretty goofy imho, I'll go with that
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Clearly it is the MR camera. All the other gadgets work. And what is wrong with the crocodile sub? It works!

The iceberg sub is also amazing. Who wouldn't want to spend 5 days with Mary Stavin in a mink lined mini-submarine?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Props to @mtm for the birding skills on display above.

Worst goes to the Mini-Camera from MR. Neat spy item but also commercial off the shelf, with the unexplainable 007 inscription.

Gull-cap from GF. Silly, yes, maybe it had some navigation/visual device that needed to be above the surface. Regardless, I love the way Connery Bond rips it off his head and slings it to the side as if commenting on it himself.

Crocodile sub from OP. Ingress/egress is a mystery. Still, a mix of silly and useful.

Iceberg sub from AVTAK. I have no opinion on its phallic shape or the navigation between those two 'bergs. (Piloting that was the beautiful Kimberley Jones, just as good as and a ringer for Mary Stavin.)

Radioactive pill from TB. Priceless interaction with Q on that one however it works.

• Mallory wrote: »
    Technically, isn't it because of the glasses, he is able to make a spectacle of the bodyguard (knowing what weaponry he has on him and where) so he can see Zukovski?

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I quite like the X-Ray specs, myself. I did find the 'no underwear' implication and Broz's reaction to it quite funny, and @JamesStock is right that it gives Bond an unfair advantage when he disarms the significantly larger henchman.

My least favourite has always been one of the smaller but no less idiotic ones: the hand trap in the PTS of DAF. Utterly stupid, and that's saying something considering some of the things the series has thrown out there. My feelings on the film probably taint that suggestion, though.