Was Brosnan's best Bond 'The Tailor of Panama'?

edited August 2014 in Actors Posts: 11,425
In The Taylor of Panama Brozza finally shows that he can actually act, but also why he was utterly unsuited to playing Bond. TTOP is a brilliant little film that nicely plays on Brozza's then recent casting as 007. Cast as a corrupt and sleasy British agent, he pulls it off completely.

Comments

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Just to comment, Also in that movie, the MI-6 shows up right at the beggining.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Brosnan's best Bond was 'The Ghost Righter'. A really commanding performance, immense talent, he really aged well, captivating acting... Yes Brosnan could have played Bond until 2012.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    In The Taylor of Panama Brozza finally shows that he can actually act, but also why he was utterly unsuited to playing Bond. TTOP is a brilliant little film that nicely plays on Brozza's then recent casting as 007. Cast as a corrupt and sleasy British agent, he pulls it off completely.

That's merely your opinion.

Brosnan can act when given the right role and TTOP shows that he could have perhaps been a better Bond than he actually was. He can play the slimy, oily b*****d to perfection and has a similar "I don't give a damn" attitude in DAD.

The Thomas Crown Affair and The Matador also have him playing similar "arrogant git" roles.
  • SAMSAM
    His best performance outside of James Bond's Goldeneye was The Fourth Protocal playing a ruthless Russian agent opposite Michael Caine in 80s.

He was respectable in The Thomas Crown Affair remake. Though other than those productions, I am struggling.

PS The Matador was awful
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,399
    i actually prefer him in The Thomas Crown Affair, more than I do his last 2 Bond films

i can't remember much about The Tailor Of Panama - i saw it only once, and that was a long time ago (when it came out, on VHS lol).. i dont remember being too impressed with it at the time........ i knew it wasn't Bond at all, so I wasn't jaded by that, because I had scene TTCA before it, and loved it.... but maybe I need to rewatch Tailor Of Panama... maybe i'll like it more than my first viewing years ago.
    I liked The Matador. It allowed him to go over-the-top.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,686
    The Matador was awful ? C'mon it was a cracking comedy. I always have a good time watching it. Brosnan is comic gold in it. Very good chemistry with Kinnear.
    I found him fun to watch in it. A lot of people complain about him overacting, in The Matador he's allowed to do that.

I loved the "don't hit me again" line he says to Greg Kinnear on the plane near the end. Wonderfully timed.

Also, he's very good in The Greatest with Carey Mulligan (he doesn't quite steal the show but his performance is effective). Perhaps thats because the role was very close to home for him.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Getafix wrote:

I admit I only saw half an hour of TTOP a few weeks ago but I watched PB carefully. I concluded that as ever you could see him acting by numbers. He seems almost self-aware of his own good looks and it hampers what he does.

I don't dislike him as Bond, but I prefer him in lighter stuff (which suits him better) eg Mrs Doubtfire and Laws Of Attraction. He was ok in Mamma Mia as well until he opened his mouth and sang.
    I know I should not advertize this rubbish film, but IMO one of Brosnan's finest performance was in *gasp* 'Remember Me'. During his 8 minutes of screentime he totally outshined Pattinson and De Ravin. During the fancy restaurant scene, he scene amazingly in his place, elegant, charismatic, 'in-his element', full of grace, while Pattinson seemed totally out of place, and looked like a baffoon. Also when Pattinson goes to throw a hissyfit in Brosnan's office, Pierce just exploded with force, magnetic presence, authority and power... Pattinson must have feared for his life during that scene... it seemed Brosnan was about to demolish him, dare I saw annihilate his existence.
  • I know I should not advertize this rubbish film, but IMO one of Brosnan's finest performance was in *gasp* 'Remember Me'. During his 8 minutes of screentime he totally outshined Pattinson and De Ravin. During the fancy restaurant scene, he scene amazingly in his place, elegant, charismatic, 'in-his element', full of grace, while Pattinson seemed totally out of place, and looked like a baffoon. Also when Pattinson goes to throw a hissyfit in Brosnan's office, Pierce just exploded with force, magnetic presence, authority and power... Pattinson must have feared for his life during that scene... it seemed Brosnan was about to demolish him, dare I saw annihilate his existence.

Hands down when of his worst performances. What the hell kind of accent was that supposed to be, because it sure wasn't a New York accent. The only somewhat worthwhile bit of that film is the father/son dynamic, bu Pierce is so uneven and ham fisted, meh.

Funny how two people can view the same thing so differently. That being said, Pattinson is none to good either ;)

I actually have to agree with DC007 on this. I really liked Brosnan in Remember Me. The movie itself was awful but he has such a commanding presence in it that can't be ignored. He makes the movie better whenever he's on screen.

Also did anybody see him in Bag of Bones this weekend? Very good performance in my opinion
    From 'Bag of Bones' trailer....

brosnanpainface.png

Pain Face still a current thing....
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Loooooool the pain face. That thong will never go away.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I've only seen little bits of The Tailor Of Panama and I don't even remember them. It's on my to-watch list though.

I haven't seen Remember Me either. But that's not on my list...

I have to say I loved Brosnan's performance in Seraphim Falls, though I wouldn't call it Bondian.
    Seraphim Falls is good and I remember him being good in it.

One thing I've noticed recently is his strange accent. It goes from English to Irish to American - even when he's talking normally.
    @BritishChap007 I will disagree I actually liked this, and being from America, I didn't even think twice about his accent. Didn't even come to me until you mentioned it.

I know I should not advertize this rubbish film, but IMO one of Brosnan's finest performance was in *gasp* 'Remember Me'. During his 8 minutes of screentime he totally outshined Pattinson and De Ravin. During the fancy restaurant scene, he scene amazingly in his place, elegant, charismatic, 'in-his element', full of grace, while Pattinson seemed totally out of place, and looked like a baffoon. Also when Pattinson goes to throw a hissyfit in Brosnan's office, Pierce just exploded with force, magnetic presence, authority and power... Pattinson must have feared for his life during that scene... it seemed Brosnan was about to demolish him, dare I saw annihilate his existence.

Hands down when of his worst performances. What the hell kind of accent was that supposed to be, because it sure wasn't a New York accent. The only somewhat worthwhile bit of that film is the father/son dynamic, bu Pierce is so uneven and ham fisted, meh.

Funny how two people can view the same thing so differently. That being said, Pattinson is none to good either ;)

Also "The Taylor of Panama" is one of my top 10 favorite movies. Absolutely brilliant.
    AND a must mention is his performance in The Thomas Crown Affair.
    [/quote]
    Also "The Taylor of Panama" is one of my top 10 favorite movies. Absolutely brilliant.
    AND a must mention is his performance in The Thomas Crown Affair.[/quote]

Rene Russo - just wow!! You can feel the sparks between them.

"Here's to the fear of being trapped"
    his best performance was with Carey Mulligan in the greatest...
    I liked him playing Ian Dunross in the TV adaption of James Clavell's Nobel House (the book is much better than the movie) however he played a CEO of a large corporation based in Hong Kong. he was quite good at that.

I liked him playing a western outlaw in Seraphim Falls. he was very belivable.

Aside from GE his Bond material was never quite up to snuff and the problem with GE is that it was his first time out and he was so stiff and uncomfortable (had a bad haircut too).
    In defense of Pierce (and I am not a fan of his) he made the most with the rotten material he was given during his Bond days. ,
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,425
    The Ghost Writer was pretty good too. The guys not bad given the right role - usually something sleazy and shallow. I also quite like him in interviews etc. He also made a good cameo appearance in the Muppet Show. Just a god awful Bond.
    Of course, his finest performance can be enjoyed in Taffin, where he proceeds to deliver the greatest line in the entire history of film:
    THAT clip

Fair play to him. If he'd have delivered the line normally I doubt anyone would have seen it. Taffin is afterall a cheaply made film shot in Ireland.

Brozza made the film more well known.

Seriously, I have a soft spot for "BronHom" so lets try and be positive.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 555
    Pushee wrote:
    Of course, his finest performance can be enjoyed in Taffin, where he proceeds to deliver the greatest line in the entire history of film:

OMG. I have neversense that before. it has changed my life.
    Still think Broz was great in the Muppet Show.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This could all go in the appreciation thread.
    Except this is a free speech thread - here you can praise Brozza and are also free to raise doubts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Except this is a free speech thread - here you can praise Brozza and are also free to raise doubts.

We could do that in the other thread too, but apparently it is overly Orwellian in nature where all individual criticism is left at the door.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't think his performance was 'Bondian' in TTOP, I do think it was very good. I really like that film.
    I don't think his performance was 'Bondian' in TTOP, I do think it was very good. I really like that film.

Yes an excellent performance.