The 'How Do I Use This New Site' Thread

Comments

I would very much like to know if the all content of the previous forum is gone forever in the emptiness of the internet. There has been so many rich things said in the past years in different forums. I love to go back to what has been written previously. Please, don't tell me that all the hours of fan writing are lost forever. That would be such a waste to see all these testimonies vanish.

Many thanks !
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @Ytterbium Please have a look here as I tried to explain the situation. Send me a private message from my user page @Luds if you have questions.
    thanks for the answer Luds
    Is there anyway to see how many people and/or who is online ? Otherwise i could be on here on my own one day !!
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @barryt007, Please check at the suggestion thread, it may already be in there, or just post about this. It certainly is something the admins will likely want to look into, like page links at the top, etc
    Thanks Luds,i will have a look in there and if it's not there i will post it on a new thread.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I used to browse the old forum by means of "your posts" & "new posts" predominantly. I'd see if anything I'd written had been replied to or if there were any new interesting discussions going on. I didn't use "today's posts" as much.

Whilst it's not quite the same as "your posts", you can go to your profile and click on "comments" which shows you your last few posts in whatever thread it might be. You can click on them from here and it'll take you to those threads you've been posting in.

"All discussions" is a bit like "new posts" in that it will tell you what's been posted in recently, although only by forum and not in recent order.

Still, this is one way to browse this place. I'm still getting to grips with it, but it's getting easier. I'm sure it will for everyone soon.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    I have activity and notifications but no comments. :(

Maybe Bartleby can post a photo with a big arrow telling me where I should look.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Said without the slightest irony, I'm sure.

Anyway, you should see when you click on your profile 4 tabs. The last one is comments. I'm not sure why you'd not see it. Perhaps it's a glitch or it has somehow been disabled? Dunno.
    FOUR tabs? I only have two. IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!

:-ss

No worries... I see you have discussions and comments on your profile so I'll just follow you around.
    @retrokitty There is currently a problem with those tabs and it is being looked at.
    Is Marketto a mod now? I didn't see his name on the list but he's go the MI6 avatar.... :-?
  • Quoting retrokitty: Is Marketto a mod now? I didn't see his name on the list but he's go the MI6 avatar....
    No - it is his own creation and I have asked him to change it.
    Andy, I sure hope you used this smilie.... [-X

;))
    Completely different topic here. Look what I found!!!

HTML Code Generator

You must plug in your link and it will give you the code for whatever the item is you are posting.

• LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting retrokitty: HTML Code Generator

You must plug in your link and it will give you the code for whatever the item is you are posting
    Could be useful for many while the options are all set!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    @Luds @retrokitty Having said that, I for one am getting more and more html-literate each day - and that's definitely something I'm adding to my CV... \:D/
    @st_george - that emoticon is SO you, LMAO!

I too am picking up a little html at work, but thanks @retrokitty for the code generator, that's pretty useful! :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting Dusty59: @st_george - that emoticon is SO you, LMAO!
    Right back at ya with your new avatar... ;)
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    I find that this new site is prohibitively slow when I want to move from one page to another, it's equally bad either from work or home computer, why is that? is there any way to speed it up? currently it puts me off coming to the site even though I'd like too
    That's odd. I haven't been experiencing any troubles. Have you tried using a different browser, @Seve?
    Yes, I've tried from work as well as from home and it's still really slow
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    @Seve - can you let us know what Internet browser you are using?
    in both cases it's Internet Explorer
    I presume the work one would be a pretty up to date version
    How do I look for someone? I can't see a members button to find out the proper new name. I'm looking for seamaster... a link to his profile so I can send a PM to him would be enough. Thanks.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @Seve, slowness could be caused by java which IE is really poor at handling.

@retrokitty, list of members not available, you can search for a username and find results. here he is
    edited May 2011 Posts: 357
    Quoting Luds: @Seve, slowness could be
    caused by java which IE is really poor at handling.

that sounds credible
    is there any way I can fix or improve it?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,986
    You can test your java on the Sun website over here and also upgrade. Most people use Sun java.

Problem is with IE, the Windows browser is built in their operating system and so many issues can arise from 3rd party software, the large amount of browser settings (Tools/Internet Options), and the IE security settings (Internet Options, Security tab)

I know for instance that the java scripting used by the quote option often messes up in IE resulting in the multiple quote issues you see all over the site (it doesn't register the opening bracket < resulting in an unknown tag in HTML and the quote looks like this: blockquote> Seve said.....)
    Personally, I try to avoid using Internet Explorer as it almost always seems to be slower than an Austin Allegro with four flat tyres...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    IE has been worse to worse, from IE 6 to 7 to 8, etc.

By far the best browser I've used is google chrome for its speed, firefox is also quite nice. But this has nothing to do with this site, just navigation in general. Non-IE browsers don't require updates, don't crash often and in Chrome's case, all tabs are independent and if one crashes everything else remains. With IE, if a tab crashes, all tabs crash and Explorer also crashes, it can lead to a blue screen and severe damage to the OS.