Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    If you look at photos from over the past 5 years or so, he is really growing into his looks; with 4 or 5 more years he will be 35ish and have the combination of youth and maturity needed for a new 007.
    This is how I feel about Callum; in the last few years he’s really started to mature, and he’s around the same age as Hoult.

I know you’re real keen on Callum, and I’m sure he’s an excellent actor, but with his small eyes and large ears I am so put off by his appearance that I can’t muster any enthusiasm for him.
    That said, if he were to land the role I would try to remain open minded and see what he brings.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    If you look at photos from over the past 5 years or so, he is really growing into his looks; with 4 or 5 more years he will be 35ish and have the combination of youth and maturity needed for a new 007.
    This is how I feel about Callum; in the last few years he’s really started to mature, and he’s around the same age as Hoult.
    I know you’re real keen on Callum, and I’m sure he’s an excellent actor, but with his small eyes and large ears I am so put off by his appearance that I can’t muster any enthusiasm for him. That said, if he were to land the role I would try to remain open minded and see what he brings.
    I can understand that, he's not for everyone. I personally find him quite handsome, and definitely could off that Bond flavour. I even think he has a sort of a young Fleming about him. I also think with Callum and Hoult, that if EON considers either of them, the other one should certainly be on the same list.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 14,822
    How's Hoult's voice now? I mean how derp/masculine is it?
    Good voice. This is a pretty upbeat bit but I think he has a good range and can go deeper when needed.

Thats was 2 years ago. In another 2 to 3 years, he will be better.
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Tom Cullen is a screentest material.

I agree. Arguably the most underrated and overlooked candidate out there.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I know you’re real keen on Callum, and I’m sure he’s an excellent actor, but with his small eyes and large ears I am so put off by his appearance that I can’t muster any enthusiasm for him. That said, if he were to land the role I would try to remain open minded and see what he brings.
    I can understand that, he's not for everyone. I personally find him quite handsome, and definitely could off that Bond flavour. I even think he has a sort of a young Fleming about him. I also think with Callum and Hoult, that if EON considers either of them, the other one should certainly be on the same list.

I prefer Callum because he didn't have other franchise baggage in him.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    MSL49 wrote: »

I starting to see how Hoult may be worth a screen test in a few years.

I can’t see Callum Turner as a Bond. He looks a tad geeky and too overtly ‘toff‘ for Bond IMO.

He looks like the type of actor who would feature as a wizard or as Dr. Who. I’m not sure women would go for him, he doesn’t look like he has that appeal.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    suavejmf wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »

I’m not sure women would go for him, he doesn’t look like he has that appeal.
    He certainly does appeal to quite a few people online, including myself and a couple of friends, but I understand the subjectivity of this element to an actor. For example, Hoult doesn't really appeal to me in terms of looks.
    Hoult is not universally connected to the X-Men franchise; not like Harrison Ford was associated wit Star Wars and Indiana Jones when he was cast as Jack Ryan . I don’t see Hoult as having any franchise baggage.
    Hoult looks a bit young to me, but in a few years who knows? Hopefully B26 won't take another 5-6 years to get off the ground.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Hoult looks a bit young to me, but in a few years who knows? Hopefully B26 won't take another 5-6 years to get off the ground.
    This may be optimistic... :(

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Hoult has great cheekbones, but not such a strong jawline. When he smiles his cheekbones pop-out and he looks comic-book handsome, when he doesn't his face can look a little soft. I suspect this might have been why he lost out to Pattinson for Batman - Pattinson's got a really strong jawline.

If Ed Skrein managed to score a strong, critically-acclaimed role he'd be a real threat to Hoult for 007, but from what I've seen so far he just doesn't have the range or subtlety that Hoult has shown. At the moment I think Hoult doesn't have any real rivals in his age-bracket.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    At the moment I think Hoult doesn't have any real rivals in his age-bracket.
    To avoid repeating myself with the obvious, who I do think could rival Hoult if both offered the role, I'd still like to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson get a screen test.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Screentest is a key factor, only best are left at that point.
    To avoid repeating myself with the obvious, who I do think could rival Hoult if both offered the role, I'd still like to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson get a screen test.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson? I’m going to resist... ;)

Hoult has great cheekbones, but not such a strong jawline. When he smiles his cheekbones pop-out and he looks comic-book handsome, when he doesn't his face can look a little soft. I suspect this might have been why he lost out to Pattinson for Batman - Pattinson's got a really strong jawline.

If Ed Skrein managed to score a strong, critically-acclaimed role he'd be a real threat to Hoult for 007, but from what I've seen so far he just doesn't have the range or subtlety that Hoult has shown. At the moment I think Hoult doesn't have any real
    rivals in his age-bracket.

Ed Skrein Looks like a jacked Hoult.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson? I’m going to resist... ;)
    Haha fair play, I just really like him as an actor :)
    He actually just got a role in David Leitch's Bullet Train opposite Brad Pitt, which is about assassins.

Yes, I acknowledge that Taylor-Johnson has the talent and looks to be in consideration. I know it's unfair of me to discount him because I think his voice is a little too high in interviews - it shouldn't matter, but I think Eon will worry that it doesn't present the right image for Bond. But then again, who knows? I'm a bit cynical.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha it's cool @sandbagger1, I just think Hoult, Taylor-Johnson, and (Callum) Turner definitely fall under the same kind of actor, so won't be surprised if all three are at least (hopefully) screen-tested - if that's what EON are going for.
    Haha it's cool @sandbagger1, I just think Hoult, Taylor-Johnson, and (Callum) Turner definitely fall under the same kind of actor, so won't be surprised if all three are at least (hopefully) screen-tested - if that's what EON are going for.

I'm sure Callum Turner will get a screen-test. Though I find him difficult to warm to, he is certainly getting high-profile parts.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

I think he is a screentest material too.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Tom Hughes.
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    Tom Hughes.

Good choice.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited October 2020 Posts: 251
    My last post ignored. Still focussing on Hoult or Turner as the next Bond.. ok guys.. enjoy yourselves
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    QsCat wrote: »
    My last post ignored. Still focussing on Hoult or Turner as the next Bond.. ok guys.. enjoy yourselves
    Well, do you have any suggestions? Who genuinely might have a shot...

...and just to say to your frustration at who we're discussing, it's all subjective, so we're gonna discuss everyone, even if a couple of people don't see it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QsCat wrote: »

You said Cavill was the best choice, there wasn’t much to react to as, respectfully, it’s not exactly the freshest take on the subject. Hoult and Turner seem more interesting and therefore more likely as candidates to me.
    As I’ve said if Cavill, years ago , based on appearance alone, I was very enthusiastic for him as a potential Bond ; but as the years passed, snd I saw performances by him, my enthusiasm waned. I can always sense him “acting “ ; that pulls me out of just about everything that I’ve seen him in., including his praised performance in MI.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2020 Posts: 16,330
    Cavill is the only one I'm rooting for to be the next Bond. Everyone else mentioned makes me scratch my head.

ODHN5D0l.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    As I’ve said if Cavill, years ago , based on appearance alone, I was very enthusiastic for him as a potential Bond ; but as the years passed, snd I saw performances by him, my enthusiasm waned. I can always sense him “acting “ ; that pulls me out of just about everything that I’ve seen him in., including his praised performance in MI.

This. Takes more than looks and a British accent, hopefully.