Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Hugh Grant is brilliant, I would be happy to see him do something like that.

Actually I was just imagining him as Denbeigh in Spectre: I genuinely think that would have been much better.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    mtm wrote: »
    I think Hugh Grant is brilliant, I would be happy to see him do something like that.

Actually I was just imagining him as Denbeigh in Spectre: I genuinely think that would have been much better.

Agreed on both counts.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

Agreed on both counts.

Would have worked.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    True. And I also think Hugh Grant would have easily replaced Desmond Llewelyn as Q, right up to Craig's Bond.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    True. And I also think Hugh Grant would have easily replaced Desmond Llewelyn as Q, right up to Craig's Bond.

Also, a good suggestion.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Oscar Isaac.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Also, a good suggestion.

Yeah. Grant is just effortless.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,835
    Although Nicholas Hoult isn't one of my top choices and might be too obvious for me personally, if he got the role, I'd certainly be on board. As for M, I'd be up for seeing the role race bent, mainly because I'd like to see someone like Lennie James give it a go. If I can get Riz Ahmed as Q as well, that'd be awesome.

As for Oscar Isaac @MSL49, I've always wanted to see him as a James Bond villain. I think he'd brilliant.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Grant managed to leave quite a mark despite his few scenes as Waverly in The Man From UNCLE. He'd do a good job as M.
  • Hugh Grant has somehow become a fantastic character actor. He was brilliant as a villain in Paddington 2. The director, Paul King, would make a great Bond helmer too. He'd make a very British Bond with more levity and charm. Imagine a Moore type of film (without double taking pigeons) after the Craig era.
    Hugh Grant has somehow become a fantastic character actor. He was brilliant as a villain in Paddington 2. The director, Paul King, would make a great Bond helmer too. He'd make a very British Bond with more levity and charm. Imagine a Moore type of film (without double taking pigeons) after the Craig era.

An almost straight adaptation of Moonraker with Hoult as Bond, helmed by Paul King. I wouldn't be against it. We do need some levity in this day and age.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Although Nicholas Hoult isn't one of my top choices and might be too obvious for me personally, if he got the role, I'd certainly be on board. As for M, I'd be up for seeing the role race bent, mainly because I'd like to see someone like Lennie James give it a go. If I can get Riz Ahmed as Q as well, that'd be awesome.

As for Oscar Isaac @MSL49, I've always wanted to see him as a James Bond villain. I think he'd brilliant.

I think Ahmed would be better getting the villain role too to be honest, he's easily strong enough.
    But I'd like a female villain next time. Not for any 'woke' reasons as some folk would say, I just think it'd be a nice change.
    Grant managed to leave quite a mark despite his few scenes as Waverly in The Man From UNCLE. He'd do a good job as M.

He was going a bit more full-on comedy twinkle in that one than he has in a lot of his recent stuff I think, but even so he out-shone Henry Cavill quite a bit, one of the reasons I don't think Cavill is the best pick for Bond.
    Hugh Grant has somehow become a fantastic character actor. He was brilliant as a villain in Paddington 2. The director, Paul King, would make a great Bond helmer too. He'd make a very British Bond with more levity and charm. Imagine a Moore type of film (without double taking pigeons) after the Craig era.

That's a very interesting idea, I think you're probably right and those films show he could do a good job.
    But I think I want him making one more Paddington film at least! :)
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395

I agree, we need a lighter Bond after Craig.
    MSL49 wrote: »

I agree, we need a lighter Bond after Craig.

I’m happy with the Fleming toned Bond. The tones of DN to TB were perfect.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lighter? Yes. Silly? No. I hope they find the next generation’s Hugh Jackman, someone who can effortlessly move from charming to brutal and handle both equally well.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Lighter? Yes. Silly? No. I hope they find the next generation’s Hugh Jackman, someone who can effortlessly move from charming to brutal and handle both equally well.

Connery and Craig, were/ are actors who can effortlessly move from charming to brutal and handle both equally well.

Connery and Craig, were/ are actors who can effortlessly move from charming to brutal and handle both equally well.
    Connery, absolutely. But I found Craig a bit awkward with he throwaway line.

• cwl007cwl007 England
    I was of course just being silly with the 'About a Man' thing but I wholeheartedly agree with the follow up comments regarding Hugh Grant.
    He has got better and better as he's aged and he'd make a great M after Fiennes is done. Although the funny thing is is if I picture him doing it a few years back all I can hear is something like Edward Fox's version, shudder.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Cavill would be a clear frontrunner without Superman.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,241

The Bond series really lacks more double taking pigeons. Bring them back!

I don't think Craig is charming at all.
    Craig's charm seems to vary a lot. He's in top form in CR with first Solange and then his scenes with Vesper. He's also quite strong in his scenes with Harris and Marlohe in SF. Less so in SP with Bellucci and Seydoux, and also Camille in QoS (though the latter made sense as it wasn't that kind of relationship).

He excels depending on the writing and who is opposite him, rather than being a natural charismatic charmer in the way that someone like Roger or even Pierce were. It looks like he'll have a couple of nice moments with De Armas before settling in to the more emotional stuff with Seydoux again this time round.
    I just don't think he generates any form of charm whatsoever. The girls in the films fancy him for his physicality. I am not saying he doesn't have sex appeal. But 'charm', the kind of which we see Connery, Moore, and Brosnan can generate, not so much.

Of course, this is a bit like the discussion on 'charisma' the other day. People have different ideas of what it means exactly.
    Of course, this is a bit like the discussion on 'charisma' the other day. People have different ideas of what it means exactly.

Yeah, this is very true.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Tom Cullen is a screentest material.
    Univex wrote: »
    nicholas%2Bhoult%2B1.png

BTW, guy's got brilliant comedic timing and range.

Woah....When did Nicholas Hoult get so sexy? Damn...Okay, now I can see why he was in contention for the Batman role opposite Pattinson. I think hoult could be the man to beat.

It's just his body of work - outside that mischievous role in Mad Max - that doesn't inspire confidence. Perhaps if he can nab a killer role or two in some great films. I mean it wasn't like Pattinson was killing it until his streak from Good Time, The Lighthouse to High-Life.

So Hoult has plenty of time to get some more high-value projects over the next two years. I'm actually glad he dropped out of Mission Impossible, he's better suited to indies. Hopefully, he can break through again.

00a6a86d65e8f66431885f377565c977.jpg?width=1200&height=500
    gl_5e160685-dfc0-45fa-8053-0424ac110006.jpg
    GQHype_NicholasHolt_GQ_NicholasHoult2020-0007.jpg

I was one of the first , if not the first to suggest Hoult and was roundly dismissed.
    There is no way that he’s not on EON’s radar.
    In recent years they’ve gone after established directors, writers, composers and actors. Hoult is exactly what they like ; he’s a strong actor, well known but not a megastar and he’s not tied to another franchise. X-Men is well in the past, and he was in heavy prosthetics. He’s got the charm and acting chops; get him together with a good fight coordinator and he’s good to go.

I must say I can start seeing it, if his face can harden up a bit.
    nicholas%2Bhoult%2B1.png

Woah....When did Nicholas Hoult get so sexy? Damn...Okay, now I can see why he was in contention for the Batman role opposite Pattinson. I think hoult could be the man to beat.

It's just his body of work - outside that mischievous role in Mad Max - that doesn't inspire confidence. Perhaps if he can nab a killer role or two in some great films. I mean it wasn't like Pattinson was killing it until his streak from Good Time, The Lighthouse to High-Life.

So Hoult has plenty of time to get some more high-value projects over the next two years. I'm actually glad he dropped out of Mission Impossible, he's better suited to indies. Hopefully, he can break through again.

I was one of the first , if not the first to suggest Hoult and was roundly dismissed.
    In recent years they’ve gone after established directors, writers, composers and actors. Hoult is exactly what they like ; he’s a strong actor, well known but not a megastar and he’s not tied to another franchise. X-Men is well in the past, and he was in heavy prosthetics. He’s got the charm and acting chops; get him together with a good fight coordinator and he’s good to go.

Ludovico wrote: »
    nicholas%2Bhoult%2B1.png

Agreed on both counts.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,891
    If you look at photos from over the past 5 years or so, he is really growing into his looks; with 4 or 5 more years he will be 35ish and have the combination of youth and maturity needed for a new 007.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,835
    If you look at photos from over the past 5 years or so, he is really growing into his looks; with 4 or 5 more years he will be 35ish and have the combination of youth and maturity needed for a new 007.
    This is how I feel about Callum; in the last few years he’s really started to mature, and he’s around the same age as Hoult.