No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I am well aware of the toll this virus has taken, to put it mildly. Having had the virus myself, as well as losing both of my parents (my mum was a frontline worker for the NHS), within two days, gives on an intimate idea of the suffering and death that it can cause.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I send you compassion and healing. 🙏🧡🙏

Thank you. I am lucky that I have family and friends around me, that I have been able to talk too. But... I still feel like I have been on auto pilot for the last 6 months.

You're welcome. It's great that you have that support network. I lost my dad in July. I'm a frontline worker in psychiatric care. This year has been like an endurance test. I'd love a little light at the end of the tunnel. I'd love for No Time To Die to stream in the comfort of my own home. Stay safe.

I am sorry to hear about your dad too.

Assuming NTTD had a streaming release, how would it earn its money back? Would it need a premium price? I don’t stream films, so I am clueless how how the system works for a release like Bond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I think they'll go through with it. These talks don't just make news without substance. That comment by MGM is just a throwaway line.

Or it's intentionally misleading. One could make a case that MGM is not selling the film to Apple or Netflix, but rather pursuing a partnership. It's verbal trickery.
    I am well aware of the toll this virus has taken, to put it mildly. Having had the virus myself, as well as losing both of my parents (my mum was a frontline worker for the NHS), within two days, gives on an intimate idea of the suffering and death that it can cause.

That is truly sad news. My sympathies are with you and my thoughts are with your brave parents. Bless them. They are true heroes.
  • manovermanover uk
    Hopefully this is not the case. If FF9 doesnt go this way. Then why should NTTD. It will minimise the film and the bond series in general.
  • cwl007cwl007 England

That is truly tragic, I just want to say I'm so sorry for your loss.
    As a Brit the gratitude I have for the NHS for saving my son's life is immeasurable, the front line workers like your mum are true national treasures. Never has that been more apparent than this year. X
  • @MajorDSmythe
    Thank you. 🙏🙏
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Some speculation in this, but probably not too far from the truth:
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/don-t-hold-breath-waiting-185631914.html
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 440
    antovolk wrote: »
    So, looks like $600m for global rights is what MGM (!) is asking for
    "Deadline hears none of the streamers was willing to put up more than half that amount [600m], and franchise controller Eon and principal producer Barbara Broccoli nixed the deal and might have been surprised negotiations were taking place."

Well, this puts a very different spin on the situation. If MGM had been offered $600 million and turned it down that would've been a catastrophically stupid move as it would've more than equalled their potential box office gross.

However, if the best offer they got wasn't even half that then there's no point in selling the film right now. It would barely even cover the production costs.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Sorry for your loss @MajorDSmythe just look ahead and expect the best in the coming years.
  • I am well aware of the toll this virus has taken, to put it mildly. Having had the virus myself, as well as losing both of my parents (my mum was a frontline worker for the NHS), within two days, gives on an intimate idea of the suffering and death that it can cause.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I send you compassion and healing. 🙏🧡🙏

Thank you. I am lucky that I have family and friends around me, that I have been able to talk too. But... I still feel like I have been on auto pilot for the last 6 months.

You're welcome. It's great that you have that support network. I lost my dad in July. I'm a frontline worker in psychiatric care. This year has been like an endurance test. I'd love a little light at the end of the tunnel. I'd love for No Time To Die to stream in the comfort of my own home. Stay safe.

I am sorry to hear about your dad too.

Assuming NTTD had a streaming release, how would it earn its money back? Would it need a premium price? I don’t stream films, so I am clueless how how the system works for a release like Bond.

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your loss @MajorDSmythe, I've also lost friends and family to this pandemic; it's a terrible thing but I'm glad you have some kind of support right now.

In answer to your questions about streaming, so far, no company has yet to find a way to make putting a $150 million+ blockbuster on VOD profitable. These movies need to make, at minimum, $300-500 million and no film VOD title has ever made even close to that much.

However, streaming services buying a movie outright has worked for some of the cheaper films like dramas and comedies because it essentially pays the producers a similar amount of money to what they would have made in theatres.

But none of the films bought for streaming have had budgets even close to half of NTTD's hence that movie's massive price tag.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    There should release it earlier on Bluray then. With stil cinema release there can release BD 4 months later after the release. 1-2 weeks after movie stops in the cinema. There have got enough time now make features and Audiocommentary besides the material there have. If there ask money for one view online (what is same in my opnion as rental Tomb Raider 2001 in 2002 for € 5,00) then there can release at same time as the Bluray.

But even there go for straight to BD release then the movie still should get cinema when more people can go the cinema again. . I wil not re-watchting Spectre again in the cinema, but i think there should re-release Spectre in cinema and mabey also Goldeneye should get re-release. It is a shame there not already release 2 Disc BD and 3 Disc 4K (4K + 2 Disc BD) releases of those two movies atleast.

After almoost vijf years Spectre not get his Dutch tv premiere yet, also delayd.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,548
    So, looks like $600m for global rights is what MGM (!) is asking for
    "Deadline hears none of the streamers was willing to put up more than half that amount [600m], and franchise controller Eon and principal producer Barbara Broccoli nixed the deal and might have been surprised negotiations were taking place."

Well, this puts a very different spin on the situation. If MGM had been offered $600 million and turned it down that would've been a catastrophically stupid move as it would've more than equalled their potential box office gross.

However, if the best offer they got wasn't even half that then there's no point in selling the film right now. It would barely even cover the production costs.

NTTD will die at the box office, not because the film isn't good or because people don't want to see it. It will be because this is what MGM, EON, and Universal will find:

5bf58d29a809d.image.jpg
    @MajorDSmythe and @DoctorClatterhand, I'm sorry about your losses. I too have been on the frontline of mental health care and have experienced, seen and accompanied the loss of too many people this year. Hence my comment regarding streaming, even if I too confess my ignorance on the matter. I still maintain that they'll have to adapt somehow. There's no way things will return to normal, normal and the past are now the same thing. What comes next is everyone's guess, but we'll get through it, even if with our hearts and heads heavy. Stay safe and strong.
  • @Univex
    Thank you so much. Look after yourself. 🙏💛🙏
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,469
    I side with those who can wait to see it in the theater. I just found out that some theaters in my area are already open (I hadn't checked all year since no other film piqued my interest). I agree with those who believe Bond films will always be made for the big screen, and that the theater experience is something we shouldn't give up. I think it would cheapen the Bond experience to have it go straight to home streaming, but sometimes money does talk. It's a tricky situation, this pandemic. There have been devastating losses, but we've come a long way in knowing how to deal with the virus; getting a vaccine would help; and most movie theaters have good ventilation systems. Perhaps it remains to be seen if theaters that will be open by April can turn enough of a profit and stay open till this thing is over--the timing of the vaccine enters into this. And by spring/summer we should be over flu season, so any major spike should've fallen by then. It's also a good point that NTTD is not the only film scheduled for release. It can be a painful decision, but an important one: if some people succumb to this terrible thing or have been touched by such sad losses, should we stop doing some things for everyone? My opinion is no, especially as I believe the most painful part is behind us. Also because entertainment is an escape from the troubles of everyday life! We need that escape, in a safe way. So I hope to still see NTTD in the theater, and I would go see it even before I get the vaccine.

Also, while I've been a fan of the Daniel Craig era, I sincerely hope this will be his last Bond film, mainly due to his age, but also because "it's time", after what will have been 5 films. I think Bond needs a new face, perhaps one more like "Hoagy Carmichael" and with darker hair, a man with a younger body, perhaps even better able to battle a villain or do amazing stunts, a new Bond with a different way of bringing the character to life or perhaps closer to the "ideal" for some of us. But of course, first bring on NTTD! Incidentally, I just saw a comment elsewhere from a person who thought that, while Ian Fleming had Vesper say in the book that Bond reminded her of Hoagy Carmichael, this person thought Fleming may've modeled Bond's looks somewhat after his elder brother Peter Fleming, who Ian had worshipped and who had engaged in behind the lines operations in WW2, since readers would've known about Carmichael but didn't know what his brother looked like. You can see his photo below, though he may not have had the "cold and ruthless" look Fleming gave Bond. I actually see some resemblance to Sean Connery, but with more fineness.
    https://www.nysoclib.org/sites/default/files/Peter-Fleming.jpg
  • The sad truth is that no studio has yet figured out how to match the amount of money that a full theatrical release provides. That's why EON/Universal/MGM have no incentive to put their movie on VOD or sell it to a streamer at a cut-price rate.

Mulan showed the dangers of what happens when you try to have an overseas theatrical release and digital domestic one at the same time. When a high-quality version of the movie already exists and is available to the public, the risk of piracy increases immensely.

Mulan showed the dangers of what happens when you try to have an overseas theatrical release and digital domestic one at the same time. When a high-quality version of the movie already exists and is available to the public, the risk of piracy increases immensely.

It was not an overseas release. It was an "only in countries, that don't have Disney+ release".
    Theatres in many big markets like UK, Germany, France etc. wanted to screen Mulan, but weren't allowed, because those countries have Disney+.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 440
    Jan1985 wrote: »

It was not an overseas release. It was an "only in countries, that don't have Disney+ release".
    Theatres in many big markets like UK, Germany, France etc. wanted to screen Mulan, but weren't allowed, because those countries have Disney+.

That's true, but the numbers don't lie. It absolutely cratered in all those countries, including China itself. Piracy is extremely rampant in overseas territories already and having thousands of pristine "straight from the source" HD copies being dumped on the internet simultaneously totally destroyed all chances of it being a hit.

I should be clear here, I absolutely do think selling it to a streaming service works; but selling the domestic rights and keeping international ones will do them very little good. They might as well go for worldwide at that point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would pay to watch it at home, I would probably also risk seeing it in a cinema if it came out but I'm obviously a big fan.
    I wouldn't claim to know what the solution is nor what is best for their film: it's their decision as the film is their investment so I'm sure they'll pick whatever is best for them and I'll go along with it.
    Its a shame the running time is so long as they could have considered a standard release via stream and an extended "directors cut" eventually when the cinemas are fully open. I get the feeling that plot is essential in this film (rather than just an action roller coaster ) so once the "cat is out of the bag", it will be hard to get people to pay again to watch it on the big screen.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Got this yesterday: Japanese Screen magazine, December 2020 issue:

s-l1600.jpg
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    QBranch wrote: »
    Got this yesterday: Japanese Screen magazine, December 2020 issue:

s-l1600.jpg

Any cool pics in it?

We'll see in two weeks.
    We'll see in two weeks.

Ah, placed an order. My bad..

Do you have the link?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 13,879

Thanks.

Trying to find the magazine's website. Do you have any clue?
    Since nothing new NTTD comes out, watch a much thinner Adele hosting SNL yesterday.