Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    talos7 wrote: »
    Hoult has really moved my rankings as a potential Bond. He’s a solid actor, great voice, is tall and looks more and more the part as each year passes.

Yes, agreed. He ticks the boxes in terms of physical requirements and has, most importantly for me, been working in big movies a long time and also had an eye for the more interesting dramatic roles as well. In terms of experience I think he's exactly in that sweet spot of knowing his way around a film camera but not yet a massive star known for one particular thing.
    Maybe he'd test for it and be rubbish, or he wouldn't want it, but on paper he's the candidate that makes the most sense to me at the moment. Can he do alpha male-sexy-tough? I haven't seen it, but I'd have more confidence in him being able to act it than the more foppish soft-jawed Redmayne and Hiddleston types.
    patb wrote: »
    The fact that Hoult went for the Batman role shows he actually wants to take the next step re top billing. If you are happy in the cape, you are happy in the tux? The pressures in both roles would be huge. He's ready.

I'd say so, yes. Good point.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,599
    Sorry, another point. To get so close to a huge starring role means he must have ticked so many of the boxes that EON need ticking. Obviously, he has to be right for the role but many of the boxes would have been about attitude, professionalism, dealing with media, dealing with co-stars, reputation within the industry etc etc How many of the other candidates have ticked these boxes? (Plus Cruise also wanted him for MI). He is the clear favourite IMHO
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Now I know this is a reach but what if Hoult withdrawing from MI is linked to Bond.
    Hypothetically, what if Hoult has been told that he will be the next Bond; It might not matter for secondary characters, but for the lead role as Bond EON may not want a crossover with another major spy franchise.

Now I’m not saying that I think this is the case; I’m just spitballing
    Sorry, another point. To get so close to a huge starring role means he must have ticked so many of the boxes that EON need ticking. Obviously, he has to be right for the role but many of the boxes would have been about attitude, professionalism, dealing with media, dealing with co-stars, reputation within the industry etc etc How many of the other candidates have ticked these boxes? (Plus Cruise also wanted him for MI). He is the clear favourite IMHO

I think nothing is clear. But I do get your very valid point. I too am a supporter of Hoult. One thing that strikes me as interesting, to say the least, is that he seems to easily get the consensus around here, and that's the most difficult task of all ;)
    So, here are the proper, serious, candidates as far as I am concerned, in no particular order;

Jack O' Connell - whoever posted those gifs of him in a suit and DJ made a good case. He's short, and likely to play it as a Craig replica, but very physical, handsome enough, good actor, and has a twinkle in his eye that Craig has. Could see it working.

Michael Fassbender - nigh on perfect for a Daltonesque Fleming faithful adaptation. But getting on. Love to see him do two or three quick films with an overarching story, rushed out for 2023.

Henry Cavill - Perfect for a movie star, safe pair of hands, Moore and Brosnan style version of the role. Very famous and associated with other roles is a drawback. His acting is good enough for Bond, no matter what people say. Would be happy to have him if it meant steadying the ship after NTTD (should it need to be steadied). Could be a decent transitional Bond before someone else comes through with a more serious take on the character.

Robert Pattinson - I have to accept he is a contender based on his looks (though he has a weirdness to him probably not right for Bond). But I would rather it not be him, due to the Batman connection (Cavill is slightly more acceptable in my eyes despite his other famous roles purely because he is more of a safe choice than Pattinson). Plus he has a pastiness to him - even outside of Twilight, that I don't like. Good actor in more indie movies though.

Tom Hardy - sticking him in because EON have probably kept an eye on him and he will be on people's radar. He could do it. He'd do a job. He can handle the action, the size of the production. He can act. Women like him. For me, too famous, and something slightly off about him for the role of Bond that I can't quite pin point. But he could do it. Again, likely to be only for a couple of films if he did do it/was offered. But I would rather it's not him.

Aidan Turner - looks good. Women like him. Brooding sort of performer. Has a sleaziness to him which I like, but can also see a drawback to also. Is he a bit too TV? How is he holding a machine gun?

Nicholas Hoult - good actor. Beautiful looking. Filling out into a man. Happy playing off -beat roles (Look at the recent Ned Kelly film), and has a likability to him. Known for big budget movies, but not necessarily as the main star. Looks good in a DJ. He is young looking, but then everyone is these days. So he could have longevity. He's my current favourite for taking over on a long term basis.

Everyone else is, in my humble opinion, not a serious contender for a variety of reasons...too posh, too foppy, too famous, too old, too American, too whatever. The above options tick several boxes.

Anyway, this is just a distillation of my current thoughts on the subject.

most of these I am fine with... I still say there is something about Aidan Turner I would prefer him for Highlander then 007 in the same way I feel about Robert Pattison
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 737
    Now I know this is a reach but what if Hoult withdrawing from MI is linked to Bond.
    Hypothetically, what if Hoult has been told that he will be the next Bond; It might not matter for secondary characters, but for the lead role as Bond EON may not want a crossover with another major spy franchise.

Now I’m not saying that I think this is the case; I’m just spitballing

Has he pulled out of MI?

I really hope that's the reason! it will show that EON are moving quickly.

Obviously we don't know and it could be any other number of reasons...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I very much doubt that's the reason considering what Barbara herself has said...

I always say: you can only be in love with one person at a time. Once the film’s come out, then some time will pass, and then we’ll have to get on to the business of the future. But for now, we just cannot think about anything beyond Daniel.

...and it being based on a scheduling conflict with a film due to coronavirus delaying MI's production, as opposed to keeping himself free for a role he might get in a few years time because I imagine he still would've been in MI if it wasn't for the filming delay.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Benny wrote: »
    Hoult has really moved my rankings as a potential Bond. He’s a solid actor, great voice, is tall and looks more and more the part as each year passes.

Agreed @talos7 he’s also one of the safest bets depending on which direction EON want to take the series. Keep it dark, brutal and thrilling.
    More amusing akin to Moore and Brosnan.
    I think Hoult has the ability to take the Bond role into various directions. If he wants it of course.
    I believe the next actor will cast on what EON want in Bond 26. Serious, lighter, a period Bond. Who knows.
    I think i prefer lighter Bond after Craig.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

Agreed @talos7 he’s also one of the safest bets depending on which direction EON want to take the series. Keep it dark, brutal and thrilling.
    More amusing akin to Moore and Brosnan.
    I think Hoult has the ability to take the Bond role into various directions. If he wants it of course.
    I believe the next actor will cast on what EON want in Bond 26. Serious, lighter, a period Bond. Who knows.
    I think i prefer lighter Bond after Craig.

Yes, a bit more that way would be good. Like Cruise in MI 4 & 5 maybe.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Denbigh wrote: »
    How tall Callum Turner is?
    He’s 6’2”

Perfect height. Can he act?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 14,800
    I very much doubt that's the reason considering what Barbara herself has said...

I always say: you can only be in love with one person at a time. Once the film’s come out, then some time will pass, and then we’ll have to get on to the business of the future. But for now, we just cannot think about anything beyond Daniel.

...and it being based on a scheduling conflict with a film due to coronavirus delaying MI's production, as opposed to keeping himself free for a role he might get in a few years time because I imagine he still would've been in MI if it wasn't for the filming delay.

And that's why pretty much any list of candidates we made here can be scrapped until further notice.
    Ludovico wrote: »

And that's why pretty much any list of candidates we made here can be scrapped until further notice.

Good. Because the list is pretty weak at present.

IMO there are maybe 5-10 suitable candidates in the whole thread. With lots of total left field randoms.
    Who are your five @suavejmf and do they correspond with mine?
    Who are your five @suavejmf and do they correspond with mine?

Micheal Fassbender
    Aidan Turner
    Oliver Jackson Cohen
    Tom Hiddleston
    Luke Evans
    suavejmf wrote: »

Good. Because the list is pretty weak at present.

IMO there are maybe 5-10 suitable candidates in the whole thread. With lots of total left field randoms.

I'm not happy with the names here either.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    To suggest that none of the actors mentioned would be suitable is just not accurate; none might fit one’s personal preference but there are several who are strong candidates.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think James Norton is a solid candidate.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    To suggest that none of the actors mentioned would be suitable is just not accurate; none might fit one’s personal preference but there are several who are strong candidates.
    Exactly, and again we should remember we're not trying to find the next James Bond for tomorrow, we're trying to find suggestions for the next James Bond that'll be cast in maybe around three to four years.
    Paddypower are offering 50-1 on Hoult - HUGE!!
    Exactly, and again we should remember we're not trying to find the next James Bond for tomorrow, we're trying to find suggestions for the next James Bond that'll be cast in maybe around three to four years.

What I meant is that overall I'm not convinced with any of them and that overall I'm thus not happy with the list. Back in 2005, and I understand this may be distorted by nostalgia, I felt more enthusiastic at the pool of candidates, at least some of them.

Solid like a plank of wood? No seriously in McMafia he was playing a sort of British Michael Corleone and it was like he was competing to be the next apprentice. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck were his motivations and what he was meant to care about.
    My honest opinion, and I accept it is just an opinion, is that bar Fassbender and Hoult really the options are pretty awful for a variety of reasons.

And that most of the guys suggested here are only cropping up because they happen to have dark hair and are vaguely handsome. I think most of them are utterly dreadful suggestions - with no edge or swagger to them in the slightest. Stick them in a tuxedo and if you squint they might look like someone doing a rubbish impression of Bond. But that's as far as it goes. The TV types of Norton, Madden, and Stevens etc couldn't be blander.

And if EON are not thinking of casting for another 4 years then the entire thing is in serious trouble anyway and is likely a moribund franchise. If the next one doesn't come out for 5 years then that means we will have lost at least a generation of potential fans who will have naturally gravitated to the MI and F+F franchises instead.

Anyway, rumours on the web today have suggested that there is pressure for NTTD to go to streaming. if that does happen it could speed up the process for the next film.

It's a big IF though. It would be a strange move and I haven't checked the source of the rumours.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I believe we don’t currently know the name of the actor who will play Bond next. It’s just too far off, and even the younger ideas in this thread will be too old likely.
    If it's that far off, then we are truly f*cked.
    FatherV is spot on re his points. The younger generation has a shorter attention span. (MI and Marvel get this). EON need to cast and get a script ASAP (after NTTD release)and this IMHO would point to someone who is close to the finished article and "up to speed" re a BIG movie star rather than some of the other names listed.
    FatherV is spot on re his points. The younger generation has a shorter attention span. (MI and Marvel get this). EON need to cast and get a script ASAP (after NTTD release)and this IMHO would point to someone who is close to the finished article and "up to speed" re a BIG movie star rather than some of the other names listed.

Yes, I think they need to get in a transitional actor who is likely to be popular, but only make a couple of films. This way they can then have more freedom to be more daring with the next choice after that, from a position of strength.

I am pessimistic about the future of the franchise if they wait five years to make a risky choice, especially when the teenagers who would go on to be life long fans have no real sense of seeing Bond in cinemas/theaters.

If this is going to be a one film every 5 years gig from now on then the franchise simply belongs to the past, and has no relevancy. In fact, does it count as a franchise if you only have one film every 5 years?
    To steal a phrase from BJ we need an actor who is "oven ready".
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    If this is going to be a one film every 5 years gig from now on then the franchise simply belongs to the past, and has no relevancy. In fact, does it count as a franchise if you only have one film every 5 years?
    But the five-year gap wasn't a case "this is how long it's taken us to make the film". It was a case of creative differences and unfortunate circumstances and timing. As for casting, we don't know long it's going to take them, they could cast a guy in a year or two after No Time to Die's release for all we know, so I don't think we should expect one film every five years.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

What I meant is that overall I'm not convinced with any of them and that overall I'm thus not happy with the list. Back in 2005, and I understand this may be distorted by nostalgia, I felt more enthusiastic at the pool of candidates, at least some of them.

Solid like a plank of wood? No seriously in McMafia he was playing a sort of British Michael Corleone and it was like he was competing to be the next apprentice. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck were his motivations and what he was meant to care about.

I mean he is not the best but not the worst either.