Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think "good actor" and "has a screen precense" doesn't sound bad for James Bond actor.

It would certainly put that person ahead many of the candidates we've seen, but I'd also want tough, alpha male-type, sexy etc.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    How about this man? He still have it.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQvCGMXlWDQJRfr3gWFk3MEDW6Pch0A8Eyslw&usqp=CAU
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 737
    So, here are the proper, serious, candidates as far as I am concerned, in no particular order;

Jack O' Connell - whoever posted those gifs of him in a suit and DJ made a good case. He's short, and likely to play it as a Craig replica, but very physical, handsome enough, good actor, and has a twinkle in his eye that Craig has. Could see it working.

Michael Fassbender - nigh on perfect for a Daltonesque Fleming faithful adaptation. But getting on. Love to see him do two or three quick films with an overarching story, rushed out for 2023.

Henry Cavill - Perfect for a movie star, safe pair of hands, Moore and Brosnan style version of the role. Very famous and associated with other roles is a drawback. His acting is good enough for Bond, no matter what people say. Would be happy to have him if it meant steadying the ship after NTTD (should it need to be steadied). Could be a decent transitional Bond before someone else comes through with a more serious take on the character.

Robert Pattinson - I have to accept he is a contender based on his looks (though he has a weirdness to him probably not right for Bond). But I would rather it not be him, due to the Batman connection (Cavill is slightly more acceptable in my eyes despite his other famous roles purely because he is more of a safe choice than Pattinson). Plus he has a pastiness to him - even outside of Twilight, that I don't like. Good actor in more indie movies though.

Tom Hardy - sticking him in because EON have probably kept an eye on him and he will be on people's radar. He could do it. He'd do a job. He can handle the action, the size of the production. He can act. Women like him. For me, too famous, and something slightly off about him for the role of Bond that I can't quite pin point. But he could do it. Again, likely to be only for a couple of films if he did do it/was offered. But I would rather it's not him.

Aidan Turner - looks good. Women like him. Brooding sort of performer. Has a sleaziness to him which I like, but can also see a drawback to also. Is he a bit too TV? How is he holding a machine gun?

Nicholas Hoult - good actor. Beautiful looking. Filling out into a man. Happy playing off -beat roles (Look at the recent Ned Kelly film), and has a likability to him. Known for big budget movies, but not necessarily as the main star. Looks good in a DJ. He is young looking, but then everyone is these days. So he could have longevity. He's my current favourite for taking over on a long term basis.

Everyone else is, in my humble opinion, not a serious contender for a variety of reasons...too posh, too foppy, too famous, too old, too American, too whatever. The above options tick several boxes.

Anyway, this is just a distillation of my current thoughts on the subject.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @FatherValentine Sad to see Callum’s not on the list but it’s cool ;) But I wondered do you mean Nicholas should? Instead of Oliver Hoult?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 737
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @FatherValentine Sad to see Callum’s not on the list but it’s cool ;) But I wondered do you mean Nicholas should? Instead of Oliver Hoult?

Yes Nicholas Hoult. Of course. What an expert I am haha.

I'd done a bottle of wine when I posted that, in my defence.

Just edited my post.

And I knew you'd bring up Callum Turner. No slight against him. it's just he's a rank outsider for a number of reasons. Just my take on it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    I think longevity is a key factor.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    And I knew you'd bring up Callum Turner. No slight against him. it's just he's a rank outsider for a number of reasons. Just my take on it.
    Haha, it's cool :D
    I think longevity is a key factor.

Ideally. But I think those times have past. EON have to prove they are committed to continuing the series in a serious way - and want to make a film every two to three years. The last 14 years have been an absolute shit show as far as that's concerned.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I really don’t see how Jack O’Connell is a serious contender.

He is a good actor, yes. But he is so short, it’s border line parody. Even on screen you can tell and on the red carpet he’s shorter than many women co-stars.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    So, here are the proper, serious, candidates as far as I am concerned, in no particular order;

Jack O' Connell - whoever posted those gifs of him in a suit and DJ made a good case. He's short, and likely to play it as a Craig replica, but very physical, handsome enough, good actor, and has a twinkle in his eye that Craig has. Could see it working.

Michael Fassbender - nigh on perfect for a Daltonesque Fleming faithful adaptation. But getting on. Love to see him do two or three quick films with an overarching story, rushed out for 2023.

Henry Cavill - Perfect for a movie star, safe pair of hands, Moore and Brosnan style version of the role. Very famous and associated with other roles is a drawback. His acting is good enough for Bond, no matter what people say. Would be happy to have him if it meant steadying the ship after NTTD (should it need to be steadied). Could be a decent transitional Bond before someone else comes through with a more serious take on the character.

Robert Pattinson - I have to accept he is a contender based on his looks (though he has a weirdness to him probably not right for Bond). But I would rather it not be him, due to the Batman connection (Cavill is slightly more acceptable in my eyes despite his other famous roles purely because he is more of a safe choice than Pattinson). Plus he has a pastiness to him - even outside of Twilight, that I don't like. Good actor in more indie movies though.

Tom Hardy - sticking him in because EON have probably kept an eye on him and he will be on people's radar. He could do it. He'd do a job. He can handle the action, the size of the production. He can act. Women like him. For me, too famous, and something slightly off about him for the role of Bond that I can't quite pin point. But he could do it. Again, likely to be only for a couple of films if he did do it/was offered. But I would rather it's not him.

Aidan Turner - looks good. Women like him. Brooding sort of performer. Has a sleaziness to him which I like, but can also see a drawback to also. Is he a bit too TV? How is he holding a machine gun?

Nicholas Hoult - good actor. Beautiful looking. Filling out into a man. Happy playing off -beat roles (Look at the recent Ned Kelly film), and has a likability to him. Known for big budget movies, but not necessarily as the main star. Looks good in a DJ. He is young looking, but then everyone is these days. So he could have longevity. He's my current favourite for taking over on a long term basis.

Everyone else is, in my humble opinion, not a serious contender for a variety of reasons...too posh, too foppy, too famous, too old, too American, too whatever. The above options tick several boxes.

My top 3 on that list.
    Cavill
    Turner
    Hoult
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    How tall Callum Turner is?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Of those I think the likely ones are, in descending order: Hoult, O'Connell, Turner. Cavill would be okay but very vanilla and possibly too established, Turner needs to show he can be a movie lead. I think some of the other options that Denbeigh has mentioned have as much suitability as some of those, though.
    Hardy, Fassbender and Pattinson are off the table I think, as good as they would all be.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Thank you for that. I think you hit the nail on the head with the selection. if I were a betting man and only looking at the most likely outcome I would probably still take the field against these 7 just because (as this thread is a testament to) there are so, so many slightly left-field options.

I think out of your list I would pick Hoult although I still sometimes have a hard time not seeing him as the 12-year-old from About a Boy...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He’s 6’2”
    He’s 6’2”

Good height for a Bond.
    But he looks like Andy Murray.
    But he looks like Andy Murray.

Yes, he’s not a Bond IMO.

But he’s not a midget either. Which is a big plus.
    I would prefer someone to be 6ft plus.

But I would rather it be an actor who looked right but is shorter, than just be a good height.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Then it’s certainly subjective cause Callum looks nothing like Murray to me, and actually fits with the classic description of the character, so would be perfect :)
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 890
    Let's not forget that Callum Turner is only thirty years old and most of his pictures show him when he was still in his twenties. Between now and when Bond 26 goes into production, he has time to physically mature, the same being true for Hoult. Four years from now, I think they will appear much more as ideal candidates for the role.
    He's tall, British, and got dark hair. He can probably act too. Not disputing any of that. But beyond that I don't seen anything about him that means he leapfrogs any of the others who might be on the list.

I am not saying he couldn't be James Bond, just that there are at least half a dozen better candidates on the list. I would put Callum Turner down with Madden, Norton etc. he might be better than them, he might not. But still very much out of the top five contenders at least.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Let's not forget that Callum Turner is only thirty years old and most of his pictures show him when he was still in his twenties. Between now and when Bond 26 goes into production, he has time to physically mature, the same being true for Hoult. Four years from now, I think they will appear much more as ideal candidates for the role.
    That is also true.
    I would prefer someone to be 6ft plus.

But I would rather it be an actor who looked right but is shorter, than just be a good height.

Of course. The full package naturally, I agree.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hoult has really moved my rankings as a potential Bond. He’s a solid actor, great voice, is tall and looks more and more the part as each year passes.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Hoult has really moved my rankings as a potential Bond. He’s a solid actor, great voice, is tall and looks more and more the part as each year passes.

Agreed @talos7 he’s also one of the safest bets depending on which direction EON want to take the series. Keep it dark, brutal and thrilling.
    More amusing akin to Moore and Brosnan.
    I think Hoult has the ability to take the Bond role into various directions. If he wants it of course.
    I believe the next actor will cast on what EON want in Bond 26. Serious, lighter, a period Bond. Who knows.

• talos7 wrote: »
    I completely agree. He gradually physically matures and more and more comes across as my personal favorite. The fact that he was one of the last two contenders for Matt Reeves' Batman definitely makes him a promising profile for a casting director.
    He's tall, British, and got dark hair. He can probably act too. Not disputing any of that. But beyond that I don't seen anything about him that means he leapfrogs any of the others who might be on the list.

I am not saying he couldn't be James Bond, just that there are at least half a dozen better candidates on the list. I would put Callum Turner down with Madden, Norton etc. he might be better than them, he might not. But still very much out of the top five contenders at least.

If he's no better than Norton then it's a no from me.

If he's no better than Norton then it's a no from me.
    From what I have seen of him this is where I would rank him. He might be a bit better/more appropriate, but certainly not a natural fit for the role like the others I have mentioned.

The fact that Hoult went for the Batman role shows he actually wants to take the next step re top billing. If you are happy in the cape, you are happy in the tux? The pressures in both roles would be huge. He's ready.