Who should/could be a Bond actor?

1726727729731732767

Comments

  • edited October 15 Posts: 5,198
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 82
    There is also Kingsley Ben-Adir. Perhaps not as handsome as Sope, but he is getting rave reviews for his portrayal of Malcolm X in One Night in Miami. There are awards pundits saying he's in line for an Oscar nomination. He certainly has a following from The OA and is someone I could imagine getting at least an audition.

    EkDUdYtWkAALcQX?format=jpg&name=medium
    Though I often find your suggestions mystifying, Kingsley Ben-Adir was one of the actors I first thought of when I considered who might be in the running for a black James Bond. He was good in The OA, and I was surprised to find he was British. He also had a small role in Guy Richie's King Arthur movie, so he's getting movie roles, too. I do think he appears to be an up-and-coming actor, and as I said, I think he's be in a list of names considered for a black 007.

    Discounting age (which I'm not sure we can do, but whatever) I think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be a much more likely choice than Idris Elba - one of the few actors around that I would consider superior to Daniel Craig in terms of charisma and general acting ability, and much more convincing as someone educated in the public-school system than Elba. I always think he's amazing in everything he's in, and he has serious prestige.

    All that said, judging from what I've seen on other forums, rather than getting to a place where race (for want of a better term) is a non-factor in the casting of heroes, we are going the other way and people are very much looking to claim heroes for their own particular demographic, whatever that might be. There's a lot of outrage, aggression, and accusation, and rather less civilised conversation around a give-and-take principle. I don't know how all this is going to pan out for this particular franchise.

  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Posts: 2,428
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,470
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 15 Posts: 4,865
    I do still think Dirisu is an interesting prospect. He's a bit more of the Bond type than the other two, I'd say.
    if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic,

    I think those are different pieces of logic, not the same. In Bond's world there is no difference between a black man and a white man.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 15 Posts: 271
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 82
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    He's the safe choice. Probably expensive, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 4,865
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.
  • Posts: 7,954
    mtm wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.

    he alos nev er would of done the reboot and again good or bad is based on your view... I believe its great that they did the reboot and pissed that they squandered it.
  • Posts: 10,974
    Risico007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.

    he alos nev er would of done the reboot and again good or bad is based on your view... I believe its great that they did the reboot and pissed that they squandered it.

    .....which is probably why he would have never done the reboot. Unless extremely well planned, reboots tend to be squandered by the first or second sequel.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 3,978
    I can't imagine Casino Royale with anyone else. Craig was one of the main reasons that film what it was imo.
  • Posts: 7,954
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.

    he alos nev er would of done the reboot and again good or bad is based on your view... I believe its great that they did the reboot and pissed that they squandered it.

    .....which is probably why he would have never done the reboot. Unless extremely well planned, reboots tend to be squandered by the first or second sequel.

    well Mendes wanted to screw everything up and here we are...

    Againif we had better directors/writers Bond 23-25 would of been far better and not well screwed over lol
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 15 Posts: 124
    I loved SF, despite it's flaws. Mendes, like Roger Deakins, should've been a one and done.
  • Posts: 7,954
    I loved SF, despite it's flaws. Mendes, like Roger Deakins, should've been a one and done.

    my issue is he becomes 007 in Casino Royale and then by Skyfall he is an old dog? he just got promoted 6 years ago.
  • Posts: 232
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I can't imagine Casino Royale with anyone else. Craig was one of the main reasons that film what it was imo.
    While I can't imagine the Craig era we ultimately got with another lead, I could easily think of a reboot based on Casino Royale with someone else as Bond. More precisely, I could easily think of that for the second half of the movie, from the moment when the actual adaptation of the novel starts. But all that preceded, and then what followed, is indeed really associated with Craig, just as if I can easily imagine Brosnan in The Living Daylights, it is impossible to see him in License to Kill, conceived for Dalton.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 4,865
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I loved SF, despite it's flaws. Mendes, like Roger Deakins, should've been a one and done.

    my issue is he becomes 007 in Casino Royale and then by Skyfall he is an old dog? he just got promoted 6 years ago.

    True, although it probably fits with the short life expectancy and mandatory retirement at 45 Fleming gives to double Os.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Posts: 124
    Yes, I would've preferred if Bond's issue in SF was simply burn out rather than age. I think there's actually a cut on Fanedit.org that does just that, come to think of it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Posts: 271
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    He's the safe choice. Probably expensive, though.

    I mean before he was Superman.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Posts: 271
    mtm wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.

    I prefer Cubby over Barbara.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 82
    MSL49 wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.

    He's the safe choice. Probably expensive, though.

    I mean before he was Superman.

    Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake. Yeah, I think you're right, Cubby would probably have gone for Cavill back then.
  • edited October 15 Posts: 528
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 4,865
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    Yeah I think it's possible, likely even.
  • Posts: 5,198
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 127
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 15 Posts: 4,865
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 127
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 15 Posts: 4,865
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    And the rest of us will have more. But yeah, it's fine, you'll be happy and better off than all of those people who started craignotbond.com because they couldn't accept a blond Bond, so I guess that's a bit closer to a victory.
    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    If you want, I don't care about X Men, the films are routinely terrible now. Seems a bit weird to specify that, but okay.
    But I do think you've misunderstood what the term 'equality' means right now. It's a bit like how the phrase 'All Lives Matter' doesn't actually mean what the words say.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 127
    mtm wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    And the rest of us will have more. But yeah, it's fine, you'll be happy and better off than all of those people who started craignotbond.com because they couldn't accept a blond Bond, so I guess that's a bit closer to a victory.
    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    If you want, I don't care about X Men, the films are routinely terrible now. Seems a bit weird to specify that, but okay.
    But I do think you've misunderstood what the term 'equality' means right now. It's a bit like how the phrase 'All Lives Matter' doesn't actually mean what the words say.

    I was joking.... :-SS
  • edited October 15 Posts: 5,198
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)
  • Posts: 12,680
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm surprised anyone has tight conceptions of how Bruce Wayne should look: we've had a fairly disparate range of types playing him (obviously all within the 'handsome white guy' range of course!).

    Well, maybe I don't find Russell Crowe that handsome. Or to be precise not "that" kind of handsome. Too puffy faced for a superhero or Bond, too brutish/thuggish looking, he's a great actor in the right role but he's not Bond or Batman.
Sign In or Register to comment.