Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm surprised anyone has tight conceptions of how Bruce Wayne should look: we've had a fairly disparate range of types playing him (obviously all within the 'handsome white guy' range of course!).
    Speaking of appearance, in a new interview Barbara Broccoli said there is no reason Bond has to be a white man. So we can expand our range of bond actors behind handsome white men too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Speaking of appearance, in a new interview Barbara Broccoli said there is no reason Bond has to be a white man. So we can expand our range of bond actors behind handsome white men too.

If accurate, she’ll being diplomatic.

• edited October 2020 Posts: 890

The most interesting seems to me to be the following quote from Broccoli:
    Once the film’s come out, then some time will pass, and then we’ll have to get on to the business of the future.

This quite confirms what has already been said here: the wait before Bond 26 will undoubtedly be more or less long.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Once the film’s come out, then some time will pass, and then we’ll have to get on to the business of the future.
    This quite confirms what has already been said here: the wait before Bond 26 will undoubtedly be more or less long.
    ...which makes perfect sense, and necessary in my view. While No Time to Die has finished filming and the film is delayed, this also means EON still have work to do, and considering they've been working on the film for a few years now, they definitely deserve some time to get their bearings on the franchise and the industry in general, especially the way it is, before they properly start working on Bond 26.
    Do the numerous delays effect the timetable?
    You don't announce a new Bond before you even get the next movie out ! And even then- you wait an appropriate period of time. For one -- get the digital sales and BluRay sales out in their first big runs. Announcing the next one while you're still trying to get people to see the last one is bad for business -- whether that be in theaters, on VOD or both. Come on -- this is pretty basic.
    It's possible we see the next Bond film in 2030. Five years to procastinate and find a shiny new Bond. Five years to make and release the film. The landscape could be totaly different in a decade. It could be the first Bond film released on streaming service. Provided NTTD isn't the first.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861

There tends to be a lot of clutching of pearls and hysterics if that idea is mentioned around here. Prepare the smelling salts!
    I think she's perfectly right, incidentally.

That's a good little interview excerpt: quite open of them to talk about where they are with that process.
    Well obviously a replacement is not going to be announced prior to the release of
    NTTD; but the numerous delays, starting with changing directors, followed by Craig's injury and , at the moment , ongoing because of COVID may or may not have an effect on starting the next incarnation of Bond.

Now I accept that they may have absolutely no specific candidate in mind; but if they do, the age of the actor may dictate starting a new era. If they are keen on an actor who is at the upper part of age range for a candidate things may move along a bit more quickly. If they really like an actor who is on the younger side, but feel that he needs a bit more time on the vine, then our wait may be longer. Of course there are studio considerations.

One factor alone won't dictate how long we have to wait.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »

If accurate, she’ll being diplomatic.

She’s being diplomatic, I agree.
    You know, Dev Patel has filled up lately.
    It's possible we see the next Bond film in 2030. Five years to procastinate and find a shiny new Bond. Five years to make and release the film. The landscape could be totaly different in a decade. It could be the first Bond film released on streaming service. Provided NTTD isn't the first.

I agree. 2030 sounds about right. I really have a hunch that NTTD will be the only Bond film released during this new decade.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

He'd make a good Vijay reboot Ally for the new Bond.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    My top 3 (not in order)
    Rupert Friend
    Aidan Turner
    Dan Stevens
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Do you mean his diary or his dinner plate? :D
    I've not seen him play the strong confident lead yet: usually he's the innocent. He's a very good actor though and has starred in movies which is better than a lot of candidates here.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He's going to be playing Gawain in the upcoming film The Green Knight.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,400

I think based on Barbara's comments above, I think they may be looking to 'reinvent' and cast an actor who is not white. Which I would welcome. I think there is a healthy split of people who aren't keen on this idea (more traditionalist fans who are on this forum) and those who actively want it (more casual fans on Twitter).

But there are some pretty great choices emerging. In fact, some of the more dynamic young actors emerging today in Britain are black. In particular, I was impressed with Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù in Gangs of London. Perhaps not the most polished actor yet, but he has a fantastic physicality. The fight scenes were damn good and Ṣọpẹ made each feel so crunchy and real. Next, he'll appear in Netflix's His House, which could be a big hit on the service next month when it comes out (the trailer is below and looks sick). I think we will be hearing a lot from Ṣọpẹ in the tabloids regarding 'Next 007' rumours going into the new year and NTTD is out. He's also very handsome.....

EjLPj0tWkAEbJRO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

There is also Kingsley Ben-Adir. Perhaps not as handsome as Sope, but he is getting rave reviews for his portrayal of Malcolm X in One Night in Miami. There are awards pundits saying he's in line for an Oscar nomination. He certainly has a following from The OA and is someone I could imagine getting at least an audition.

EkDUdYtWkAALcQX?format=jpg&name=medium

In a complete 180°, my preference is still for a 'Robert Pattinson-type', in lieu of the man himself. If they start filming in 2023, then I'd take Chalamet over most names. Timothee has the energy to be a brooding, byronic leading man.

original.gif
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,665
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

There is also Kingsley Ben-Adir. Perhaps not as handsome as Sope, but he is getting rave reviews for his portrayal of Malcolm X in One Night in Miami. There are awards pundits saying he's in line for an Oscar nomination. He certainly has a following from The OA and is someone I could imagine getting at least an audition.

EkDUdYtWkAALcQX?format=jpg&name=medium
    Though I often find your suggestions mystifying, Kingsley Ben-Adir was one of the actors I first thought of when I considered who might be in the running for a black James Bond. He was good in The OA, and I was surprised to find he was British. He also had a small role in Guy Richie's King Arthur movie, so he's getting movie roles, too. I do think he appears to be an up-and-coming actor, and as I said, I think he's be in a list of names considered for a black 007.

Discounting age (which I'm not sure we can do, but whatever) I think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be a much more likely choice than Idris Elba - one of the few actors around that I would consider superior to Daniel Craig in terms of charisma and general acting ability, and much more convincing as someone educated in the public-school system than Elba. I always think he's amazing in everything he's in, and he has serious prestige.

All that said, judging from what I've seen on other forums, rather than getting to a place where race (for want of a better term) is a non-factor in the casting of heroes, we are going the other way and people are very much looking to claim heroes for their own particular demographic, whatever that might be. There's a lot of outrage, aggression, and accusation, and rather less civilised conversation around a give-and-take principle. I don't know how all this is going to pan out for this particular franchise.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

“We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”

If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

“We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”

If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

Absolutely diplomatic...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    I do still think Dirisu is an interesting prospect. He's a bit more of the Bond type than the other two, I'd say.
    if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic,

I think those are different pieces of logic, not the same. In Bond's world there is no difference between a black man and a white man.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    I think Cubby would have been casting Cavill.
    MSL49 wrote: »

He's the safe choice. Probably expensive, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.
    mtm wrote: »

In some ways yes, but also I don't think he liked stars for it (Roger being the obvious exception).
    He would never have cast Craig I think. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view I guess.

he alos nev er would of done the reboot and again good or bad is based on your view... I believe its great that they did the reboot and pissed that they squandered it.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

he alos nev er would of done the reboot and again good or bad is based on your view... I believe its great that they did the reboot and pissed that they squandered it.

.....which is probably why he would have never done the reboot. Unless extremely well planned, reboots tend to be squandered by the first or second sequel.