NTTD & Corona

Comments

Gerard wrote: »
    In France, Tenet has now the second place of the box office, with 2 159 301 seats purchased. Which puts it just behind 1917, with 2 203 337 viewers. Not bad, considering the times.

In Germany "Tenet" is also the No. 2 movie of the year behind "Bad Boys For Life".
    It's on its way to reach "Interstellar"-numbers.

Audience numbers go up every week in Germany. More and more german distributors pull releases forward now. A big german movie that had a 2021 release date now gets released next month. So many local productions fill in the blank spots that were left behind by american productions.

And even US productions, that go direct to VOD in the US, get a theatrical release only in Germany, like Robert Zemeckes' "The Witches".

That shows: people are willing to go to the movies if there are enough big films.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Unless it’s the US, where the pandemic is much worse and people are too scared to go.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,394
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Tenet was always going to be a more adult leaning movie and as such was never going to attract a huge audience, a more family friendly movie may have done better. To expect Tenet to save cinema was wishful thinking. Is the problem now covid or more so the fear of covid.

Joker is a very adult oriented movie and made a billion dollars.The idea that adult movies cannot be blockbusters is a myth.Pretty much all Christopher Nolans films are adult oriented ( Even his Batman movies that naturally appealed to younger people treated their audience like they were adults ) and most of them made plenty of money.

And iv said it before and il say it again,Tenet,no matter how good or how popular it was,was never going to save cinema by itself.It should have been the beginning of a slew of blockbusters to entice people back to the cinema.The rival studios are at fault for not joining in and pushing their movies back and THAT is what is going to kill cinema.Without new movies,there is no reason for people to go to the cinema and the studios will pay the price for this next year when there are a LOT LESS theaters to show them in.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Unless it’s the US, where the pandemic is much worse and people are too scared to go.

Yes, performance of one movie that opened with major theatrical markets being closed is perfectly fine indicator of people's attitude towards safety of the cinema, you are right
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RedNine wrote: »

Yes, performance of one movie that opened with major theatrical markets being closed is perfectly fine indicator of people's attitude towards safety of the cinema, you are right

You're still missing the point.

Apparently he knows better than the studios.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

If I do then explaining what point I am missing would probably be better for the discussion, don't you think ?

Apparently he knows better than the studios.

No I don't, I consider that a common knowledge that all studios have as well. The difference is that they are responsible for what they do and no one wants to lose their job. Everybody delays their movie because they know they will make less money then they would before Covid and they hope that they will be able to wait it out and still get the same or very similar money. It still doesnt mean that it's completely impossible to make money during Covid, we do not have enough evidence to make statements like that.

Seems the experiment with MULAN did not work out.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4377117-disneys-mulan-estimates-crash-back-down-to-earth-losses-may-150-million

This explains why I now see it available at other online retailers like iTunes. The streaming option will not be feasible for Bond or any other major blockbuster unless the studios just want to throw their hands up and lose money.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Those are estimates, we won't know the real numbers until their November earnings call. It couldn't have done too bad if they've already opted to put Soul on Disney +:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/pixar-soul-disney-plus-1234773525/
  • True, also Mulan was announced to be on Disney + for everyone in Dec before releasing it for a 30 dollar premium. Most people will just wait.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Mulan is not a good barometer at all. They offered it to people at $30 who were paying already monthly for Disney + and telling them it will be free to watch in December anyway
  • We think alike @DoctorNo
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Those are estimates, we won't know the real numbers until their November earnings call. It couldn't have done too bad if they've already opted to put Soul on Disney +:

Except it’s not going to be the $30 premium like Mulan was but rather just the regular Disney+ subscription.

Except it’s not going to be the $30 premium like Mulan was but rather just the regular Disney+ subscription.

Fair point, I didn't realize that. I figured they might take the same avenue, I should've read it in full.
    Didnt Trolls world tour make a killing on VOD? Thats what prompted Disney to try that option with Mulan anyway.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Didnt Trolls world tour make a killing on VOD? Thats what prompted Disney to try that option with Mulan anyway.

It made $100 million. But no movie after that did that much money on VOD.
    And it only worked, because at came out at the beginnng of the worldwide lockdown, when literally EVERYONE in the world was sitting at home.

But in the end $100 million might work for "Trolls World Tour", but not for $250-million movies like Bond.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

It made $100 million. But no movie after that did that much money on VOD.
    And it only worked, because at came out at the beginnng of the worldwide lockdown, when literally EVERYONE in the world was sitting at home.

But in the end $100 million might work for "Trolls World Tour", but not for $250-million movies like Bond.

Good point.
    So this is an interesting article about MGM's hedge fund owner, and the effects of NTTD's move.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/its-no-time-to-die-for-hedge-fund-manager-ulrichs-big-james-bond-bet-11602408601

TL;DR - the effective head honcho thinks that with NTTD unreleased, this could be an attractive asset (along with their other high profile prestige film projects under studio head Michael De Luca such as Paul Thomas Anderson's next film, Ridley Scott/Lady Gaga Gucci project, a new Ryan Gosling sci fi and more) to a potential acquisition.

The whole idea of NTTD going to streaming (as opposed to PVOD) is kinda nought because on its own, a Netflix or an Apple would need to pay half a billion at least for the film alone. But as part of a larger acquisition this could be a potential game changer - if a deal (which MGM's shareholders have been pushing for it seems) happens sooner rather than later.
    Interesting. I wonder, provided such a deal would be agreed upon, how long it might take to put into effect.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If that happens, I think Apple would suit Bond better than Netflix or Amazon.
    matt_u wrote: »

As do I.
    matt_u wrote: »

As do I.

Same.
  • The problem with not releasing NTTD in November is that by the time next April comes even if the covid scenario has changed, there maybe no cinemas left in business to release it into.....!, then streaming will be the only option, however the online media giants will then be in a lot stronger position with regards the price they will pay. ~X(
    I quite torn on this to be honest.While i like the idea of the theatrical experience,it has slowly but surely been ruined by peoples behavior in cinemas with talking,mobile phone usage,and its expensive! I like the idea of NTTD being released as a PVOD title and being able to settle down to watch it at whatever time i choose and the company i choose to watch it with.

I feel sorry for cinemas in general and the many who will lose their jobs but this was inevitable.
    I quite torn on this to be honest.While i like the idea of the theatrical experience,it has slowly but surely been ruined by peoples behavior in cinemas with talking,mobile phone usage,and its expensive!

You're going to the wrong cinemas.

I know places like that, too.
    But I also know nice cinemas with a well behaved audience.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I quite torn on this to be honest.While i like the idea of the theatrical experience,it has slowly but surely been ruined by peoples behavior in cinemas with talking,mobile phone usage,and its expensive!

You're going to the wrong cinemas.

I know places like that, too.
    But I also know nice cinemas with a well behaved audience.

Surely thats impossible to predict? You can go to the nicest cinema in the world but it only takes one idiot with his phone to ruin the experience.Iv had some really good experiences in cinemas over the last couple of years but also some truly awful ones.
    I've only had two different disruptions when going to a movie theater. Coincidentally, both of those happened with the first two Hobbit films respectively. AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY had a bunch of noisy teenagers that talked and laughed for the first 30 minutes of the film. For THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG it was man in his 60s, his phone rang so he actually had the audacity to pick it up and TALK during the film! Everyone around him thankfully told him to either leave or shut it off. He left. It was so crazy too because he seemed utterly bewildered over the idea that people were bothered by him taking a phone call, as if he had never been at a movie theater before.
    I'd be interested to see the result of a poll of people here on whether they expect nttd to stick to the new April release date.
  • NTTD has been shot in IMAX and was filmed to be watched in theatres, so I think there will be a theatrical release in 2021 (april, june, july, october ...), but maybe with a simultaneous PVOD release or a very narrow window.