I've never noticed that before...

Comments

Mathis1 wrote: »
    Watched Carry on Spying (1964) tonight, one of the earlier Bond spoofs. As you'd expect, the film borrowed heavily from the Bond films, and even features locations and elements used in later Bond films. Eric Pohlmann (Blofeld) also makes an appearance in the role of an STENCH agent (the Society for the Total Extinction of Non-Conforming Humans). Coming out the year after FRWL, there are several references to that film, including the poster artwork and the unsuccessful use of a watch garrote. But there's more…
    The FRWL train carriages can also be seen in the film! Interior shots for Carry on Spying were shot at Pinewood Studios though, so it's not that surprising to see some similarities between this film and FRWL.

Notice the same posters in the train carriages. As we see from the images below, the characters in Carry on Spying are dining in the back of the dining carriage where Bond, Tatiana and Grant had their dinner in FRWL.

Oa5u7l5.png
    A5QuU7n.png
    F9oa7PN.png
    4WxVugP.png

Carry on Spying also features the Bodil Kjær desk, featured in FRWL, YOLT and OHMSS. Like Blofeld in FRWL, the desk is also the desk of choice of this film's villain:

HxkoBBl.png
    72iTNP4.png

Another amazing catch.

It was a very fun catch! The film was a bit of a bore though…

Never seen any of the Carry On films.

Might I suggest you start with 'Carry On Up the Khyber!' Funniest one for me!

You beat me to it mate!

I'd also recommend Carry On Screaming :D

Good one too mate! Did you know Harry H. Corbetts role was meant for Sid James?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Carry on suggesting.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    You can carry on this discussion in this thread...
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/2367/chat-thread-free-discussion/p1
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,032
    In Goldeneye, when Bond and Wade swap vehicles, Bond refers to Natayla as the russian minister for transport. 😂😂
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    In Skyfall, when Bond follows Severine to the bar, his eyeline is definitely on her behind 😂
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Watched Carry on Spying (1964) tonight, one of the earlier Bond spoofs. As you'd expect, the film borrowed heavily from the Bond films, and even features locations and elements used in later Bond films. Eric Pohlmann (Blofeld) also makes an appearance in the role of an STENCH agent (the Society for the Total Extinction of Non-Conforming Humans). Coming out the year after FRWL, there are several references to that film, including the poster artwork and the unsuccessful use of a watch garrote. But there's more…
    The FRWL train carriages can also be seen in the film! Interior shots for Carry on Spying were shot at Pinewood Studios though, so it's not that surprising to see some similarities between this film and FRWL.

Notice the same posters in the train carriages. As we see from the images below, the characters in Carry on Spying are dining in the back of the dining carriage where Bond, Tatiana and Grant had their dinner in FRWL.

Oa5u7l5.png
    A5QuU7n.png
    F9oa7PN.png
    4WxVugP.png

Carry on Spying also features the Bodil Kjær desk, featured in FRWL, YOLT and OHMSS. Like Blofeld in FRWL, the desk is also the desk of choice of this film's villain:

HxkoBBl.png
    72iTNP4.png

The best of the CARRY ONs, I would say.

Would you recommend any of the others, @Birdleson? Found Carry On Spying a bit boring myself. There were some funny gags of course, but no laugh out loud moments.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap , have you seen this?

No, haven't seen that one before. It's interesting to see the similarities between the two films. It makes you wonder if they made a very obvious nod to Carry On Spying!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t think Spying is one of the big ones though, it gets more into the swing of it in later entries, so to speak.
    Khyber, Cleo, Screaming, Camping etc. they’re the more fondly remembered ones where everything got a bit bigger and a bit naughtier.
    Earlier this week, I watched The Liquidator, the 1965 spy film starring Rod Taylor and Jill St. John – based on the novel by John Gardner, who would later become a Bond continuation novel writer. As you expect from a mid-sixties spy film there are nods to the Bond films, with Shirley Bassey singing two Bondian themes.

There were a few things I need to have a look at again when I watch the Bond films again, just to make sure, but two things in particular stood out when watching the film. The first is the lamp we see in Boysie Oakes' apartment, which looks to be a red version of the lamp we see in TB (and very similar to the ones seen in OHMSS and DAF):
    PVSb8c1.png
    dWboyXq.png

In one of the scenes we also see the ship prints seen in M's office (and Bond's apartment in LALD):
    4VAPhgG.png
    I56M9ZV.png
    aYlhSoc.png

This is yet another appearance of the same series of prints that also feature in an early episode of The Saint (1962) and Where the Spies Are (1966).
    Amazing how furnishing can subtly make a shared cinematic universe!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How was the film? I’ve heard of that one, and Gardner’s Oakes series, but never seen it. He sort of hires other guys to do his jobs for him, doesn’t he?
    Revelator wrote: »
    Amazing how furnishing can subtly make a shared cinematic universe!

It is, isn't it! The funny thing now is that I won't be able to sit down to watch a British film from the same time period without looking for furnishings that have appeared in Bond films!
    mtm wrote: »
    How was the film? I’ve heard of that one, and Gardner’s Oakes series, but never seen it. He sort of hires other guys to do his jobs for him, doesn’t he?

The film was fine. Nothing spectacular, but worth a watch simply for being a spy film from the Bond-mania period – and for Jill St. John of course!

Yes, like the book Boysie Oakes finds himself in the situation of becoming a reluctant assassin for British Intelligence, and hires a guy to do the work for him. It's no spoiler to mention that he eventually finds himself in the middle of the action. I've only read the first book of the series, so I don't know how he gets the job done in the following novels. The film stuck quite close to the novel, which was interesting. You don't always see that.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    LALD: I never noticed before how the runaway car scene on the FDR is basically a commercial for Chevrolet. Almost every car is a 1973 Chevy Caprice, though others are wagons. The cab is a Bel Air. After researching this, I've found that I am late to the party on this discovery. LOL
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just noticed the first guy that is talking to Greene before Camille walks up and spoils his fun during the EcoPark party in QoS is dubbed by Guillermo del Toro. I always thought he was reported as dubbing a helicopter pilot (and perhaps he does and I didn't notice due to it being another language) but that guy definitely sounds dubbed with Guillermo's English accent.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Just noticed the first guy that is talking to Greene before Camille walks up and spoils his fun during the EcoPark party in QoS is dubbed by Guillermo del Toro. I always thought he was reported as dubbing a helicopter pilot (and perhaps he does and I didn't notice due to it being another language) but that guy definitely sounds dubbed with Guillermo's English accent.

That's right. Del Toro talks in English during the party, but the pilot talking in Spanish is... Alfonso Cuarón. Another Marc Forster's friend ;)

All these Spanish links with Bond are here: www.007conexion.es :D Yes, I'm one of the authors.
    ggl007 wrote: »

That's right. Del Toro talks in English during the party, but the pilot talking in Spanish is... Alfonso Cuarón. Another Marc Forster's friend ;)

All these Spanish links with Bond are here: www.007conexion.es :D Yes, I'm one of the authors.

Good stuff, I figured I had overlooked it in the past and it was common knowledge. Not sure why, after 12 years and countless viewings, del Toro's voice stood out so clearly in that bit, but alas.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 10,586
    Is he the guy who asks Greene what he thinks of people in Bolivia spending half their paycheck for clean water? If so, that just occurred to me as well.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Is he the guy who asks Greene what he thinks of people in Bolivia spending half their paycheck for clean water? If so, that just occurred to me as well.

That's him. It's incredibly obvious once it's pointed out, my issue was always being fixated on thinking he was dubbing someone in Spanish, which I never would've caught.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TripAces wrote: »
    LALD: I never noticed before how the runaway car scene on the FDR is basically a commercial for Chevrolet. Almost every car is a 1973 Chevy Caprice, though others are wagons. The cab is a Bel Air. After researching this, I've found that I am late to the party on this discovery. LOL

Sorry, I saw this too late. It's not just the runaway car scene that is a commercial for Chevrolet. Basically every vehicle except the Ford van that Bond's Chevy smashes into and the "pimpmobile" (still based on a GM vehicle) is a 1973 Chevy, whether Nova or Impala or BelAir, including the police cars later in the movie.

This was - for me - the point where vehicle product placement went too far in the franchise (and there was more to come). Still, the next instalment with AMC cars all over Thailand (where just as in the rest of the world almost nobody chose an American Motors vehicle any more) was definitely even worse.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ggl007 wrote: »

This is properly amazing stuff!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Having just watched Thunderball I thought I'd share;
    Although I have noticed this before, in fact I noticed it many years ago and it amuses me every time I see it and I'm wondering is it just me?
    At the very beginning Largo pulls up in his car (poor parking BTW but that's by the by) he opens the door and gets his bag from the back. As he's doing that a car is appearing from behind. There is a brief moment where you think he's going to have wait because there is no way he has time to cross the road. How that car doesn't run him over I'll never know. I like to think there is an alternate universe Thunderball were the theft of the bombs never happens because Largo is dead 10 seconds into the film.
    I wonder if this was a deliberate direction to make Largo look arrogant, confident etc or it was just rubbish awareness by Adolfo Celi and they left it in?
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Having just watched Thunderball I thought I'd share;
    Although I have noticed this before, in fact I noticed it many years ago and it amuses me every time I see it and I'm wondering is it just me?
    At the very beginning Largo pulls up in his car (poor parking BTW but that's by the by) he opens the door and gets his bag from the back. As he's doing that a car is appearing from behind. There is a brief moment where you think he's going to have wait because there is no way he has time to cross the road. How that car doesn't run him over I'll never know. I like to think there is an alternate universe Thunderball were the theft of the bombs never happens because Largo is dead 10 seconds into the film.
    I wonder if this was a deliberate direction to make Largo look arrogant, confident etc or it was just rubbish awareness by Adolfo Celi and they left it in?

Haha, that moment has always amused me! Every time I watch TB I keep thinking Largo is going to be killed right at the beginning!
    Ultimate jaywalker!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @cwl007 , you are not alone with this observation. I also wondered if this was planned this way.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yeah, it's great isn't it. If it wasn't planned there would have been some panic behind the camera for a second or two X_X #:-S
    Glad it's not just me who worries about this!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! Yeah that bit has always stuck out to me too. I presume he went for it because he was being filmed and couldn't hang around, but I'm surprised every time that he gets to the other side without being hit!
    Largo could've always pulled a Dustin Hoffman Midnight Cowboy move when he was almost hit by a taxi while filming, prompting the ad-libbed line "Hey, I'm walkin' here!"
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Or "Keel heem."
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I assumed he's so arrogant that he can do whatever he wants. Like he parked in the no parking zone
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    w2bond wrote: »
    I assumed he's so arrogant that he can do whatever he wants. Like he parked in the no parking zone
    If my earliest memories of Paris (late 70s) are an indicator, everyone in that city used to park in no-parking zones. One didn't need to be a top dog in an international crime syndicate for that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    If my earliest memories of Paris (late 70s) are an indicator, everyone in that city used to park in no-parking zones. One didn't need to be a top dog in an international crime syndicate for that.

I was there ten years later, and it was still complete chaos, no rules. It was like North Africa.
  • brown7777brown7777 chelmsford
    Hi everyone i have only been on this site since April but i have a few new ones especially with Ohmss In the scene when Bond wakes up on the outside Balcony bed and he goes to put his dressing gown on he sits on the bed and next to him there is a pile of clothes on his left one minute they are next to him and next minute they vanish this is something i have noticed since ive watched the film recently