The 355 (2022)

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hopefully it's good, looking forward to (finally) seeing a trailer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So does that suggest they're going a bit Bourne flavoured?
    mtm wrote: »
    So does that suggest they're going a bit Bourne flavoured?

Guess we'll see tonight but given that Universal is behind Bourne...of course they were gonna plug that
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh dear, i think that looks very naff. I like the bit where Nyong’o explains the setup very clearly “we’re all spies from different countries” etc.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's basically Charlie's Angels by way of Tom Clancy, by the looks of it. It'll either be very good or very bad.
  • It's basically Charlie's Angels by way of Tom Clancy, by the looks of it. It'll either be very good or very bad.

This....

Personally, this started well. I was getting shades of M's speech from the SF enquiry scene with Chastain at the opening of the trailer. However, this just descended into generic spy-movie cliches really really quickly. This just seems so terribly bland and unimaginative.

I don't really know what happened to Chastain. There was a period where she was one of the most interesting actresses in Hollywood. However, she just can't pick the right material these days. I was also prepared to come here and speak about how great a loss it is to see Lupita playing an MI6 spy, when she was offered the Nomi role in NTTD. Both NTTD and 355 filmed at the same time. However, despite being a terrific actress, her English accent is glaringly bad.....I'm glad that Lashana got the gig in hindsight.

Nonetheless, it will forever bemuse me why Lupita turned down working with Fukunaga for Simon Kinberg. The dude who wrote The Last Stand, Fant4stic Four, and Dark Phoenix. Really?!?!?!?!

2_Bond-Lupita-MAIN.jpg

Also, it's hilarious to see Senate House being used again in another film! I went to university in London and this building is in every film and TV show, I swear. Here it looks as though it's supposed to be in China......Crikey.....I mean who are they kidding?!?!

theirfinest.png
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    It's basically Charlie's Angels by way of Tom Clancy, by the looks of it. It'll either be very good or very bad.

Yeah I think because the actual set-up behind it is so bad and hokey (agents from lots of different secret services come together because... well they just do) it needed to have some sort of hook to the feel it was made, like Bourne gave us a totally new film for spy films, but really it just looks like someone has watched some Bond and Jack Ryan films and decided that's all the research they need to do into the spy world. Which is fine if you've got some strong filmmaking behind it (just look at all of the most recent Mission Possible trailers: they're clearly for very exciting films) but this looks like any old crap. I don't think there's a single visual hook moment in it, is there? Was there any inventive action in it? Some sub-Mission Impossible 'all dress up and pickpocket someone' stuff, but that's not enough. The plot certainly doesn't look intelligent or new.

It sort of feels like a French & Saunders film spoof sketch with lots of very earnest-looking people doing facile things.
    Didn't Cruz's character say "I'm a real person!" at one point? Haha, no you're not, you're a badly written character.
    I was also prepared to come here and speak about how great a loss it is to see Lupita playing an MI6 spy, when she was offered the Nomi role in NTTD. Both NTTD and 355 filmed at the same time. However, despite being a terrific actress, her English accent is glaringly bad.....I'm glad that Lashana got the gig in hindsight.

Yeah, appalling accent :D "Sew we niid to jown fawrces"
    I'm getting good vibes about Lynch too, I think she may well ace it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, "generic" is all I walked away with. Looks awful.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 10,586
    Looks good visually but the writing seems poor and, like others have said, quite generic.
    shrugs
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,416
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/the-355-pushed-back-a-year/
    Universal Pictures’ female-led globe-trotting espionage thriller “The 355” has been delayed a full year – moving from January 15th 2021 to January 14th 2022.